on November 6, 2010
This phone has a lot of potential, but seems to fall short of it more times than not.

Pros
-inexpensive
-large, high res display for a budget phone
-lightweight
-solidly built
-android 2.1 (as opposed to 1.6 for the cricket wireless version)
-good call quality

Cons
-phone seems laggy, even for physical buttons
-screen is supposedly "capacitive", yet hard taps are required to operate it, especially near the sides (which are slightly curved)
-screen sometimes lags when swiping, even with very few apps running
-physical buttons are placed too low on the phone
-no multitouch when browsing
-not much internal memory
-details are sketchy about 2.2 upgrade
-low speaker volume
-battery life (but what smartphone doesn't have this issue?)
-doesn't seem to support live walpapers

I know I have more cons than pros, but the phone itself is respectable, even moreso the further you can get below the $100 (subsidized) price point. Most of the negatives have to do with the UI, but once you've started your app, the sound and display are satisfactory.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2012
My wife has had this phone for over a year now. Quite simply, it sucks.

The screen may be pretty and the phone may be light but these things are outweighed by the fact that:

* The user interface is laggy when performing simple tasks.
* The touchscreen sensitivity is horrible.
* Ending a call requires pushing the End Call button several times and then waiting.

And that's just out of the box. At this point:

* The phone freezes hard or reboots almost every day.
* The inertial sensor goes nuts making a simple game unplayable.
* A software bug has gone unfixed by Sprint for a year. In certain neighborhoods we have to pull the battery to stop a mysterious ringing sound.
on July 18, 2011
I hate this phone. I can not keep apps turned off even after I force stop it!
Drains my wimpy battery.

It has way to much going on and is not easily acessable with many things I need.
It will start doing its own thing often by shutting down, moving the screen around, locking up for no reason.

The buttons on the side are in the worst place. I can not tell you how many times I am talking to someone and I hit the camera button and my phone drops the call. and the volume buttons are the same. There should not be buttons where you hold the thing.

Can not uninstall some programs. I have 2 GPS on this stupid thing and I can not force stop either or uninstall. All it allows me to unistall are updates. AND NEITHER are easy to use and do not function correctly. It always shows me in another state!

The touch on it does not always work and I am really missing my qwerty keypad. It takes me so long to type in a simple word because hitting these itty bitty close numbers and letters and the enter is in a bad spot. I try to hit the period and hit enter and it loads when im not done and have to start over on a 5 min text. It also lags bad on typing which sucks.

Anyway I have more but this will do. I will not keep this phone 2 years definetly. it is not worth the aggravation! Do not waste your money.

Only 1 real positive thing I can say is it takes a good pic. Got some nice butt shots somehow with a touch lock. go figure.

I give it negative stars if I could
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2012
My phone stays on life support...slow, freezes up, unresponsive screen...I can't stand this phone. That emergency dialer??? *SCREAM* I have to take my battery out just to get out of emergency dialer. I'd take a hammer to it if I didn't need it. What a P.O.C.!!! My old RAZR didn't act like this. I am buying an iPhone this morning. I'm joining the Apple/Mac bandwagon this month!
on April 4, 2012
I got this phone as my first "smart phone" almost a year ago. I wish I would have taken it back asap! It freezes, it lags, apps will NOT stay off. Keyboard was difficult to use...especially attempting to text. The on screen keyboard is more often than not a bitch. The letters on the top row seem to be the hardest to hit. Even though i have small hands/fingers....i still have issue. LOW battery life. Chronic charging has made it worse...but then again, i had NO choice!
Though the phone was free, i wish i would have spent a few hundred and gotten a phone that was actually USEFUL!
Have to use the "app killer" a MILLION times a day just to maintain any sort of battery.
And if you have to use the number pad while on the phone, it's ridiculous!
I've owned some piss poor phones in my life, but this is BY FAR the WORST phone ever!
Do yourself a favor and buy BUY something else! Keacera Sanyo Zio is NOT GOOD!!!!
on March 2, 2012
i only gave the phone a star because there is a "no star" rating
THIS PHONE IS A POS SIMPLY PUT. I HAVE HAD IT FOR A YEAR AND IT HAS BEEN REPLACED 3 TIMES BY SPRINT AND EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE PHONES HAS ITS OWN SET OF PROBLEMS.
- SCREEN CONTINUPUSLY WENT BLANK FOR NO REASON ONLY WAY TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM IS TO PULL THE BATTERY AT LEAST 3 TIMES A DAY AND THATS IS BEING GENEROUS
- THE ENTIRE PHONE FREEZES INTERNET, HOMESCREEN, VOLUME, ETC.
- WONT LET ME UNLOCK THE PHONE (LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ITS JUST THE SLIDE BAR) MUSIC WONT PLAY WITH AUX CABLE IN
-GAMES AND APPS FREEZE UP AND EVENTUALLY HAVE TO EITHER FORCE CLOSE OR SHUT DOWN THE PHONE
-ETC,ETC,ETC
THIS IS A PERFECT PHONE...IF YOU ONLY WANT TO TAKE HORRIBLE PICTURES AND VIDEO
on July 1, 2011
This phone is horrible!! I can't type "P"button in keyboard which placed on side.

-PROS
light and slim design
track ball
cheap

-CONS
slow
freeze a lot
hard to type
can't open picture from iphone user.
they dont have many case for this phone, guy in mall even dont know this phone(!)
low battery life
no flash in camera
on October 30, 2012
This phone is terrible! I have had it for almost 2 years now (not by choice) and it's caused me nothing but frustration! When I try and unlock it, it freezes almost every single time. It drops calls all the time, its super hard to type ANYTHING on it, even when you download larger buttons it doesn't help. The touch screen is very hard to use, and it's laggy and slow and just not worth the money or time. I can't tell you how many times I have accidently pushed the camera button and it freezes. Also when ever I try to use an app it force closes almost every single time. I can't stand this phone, it made me miss my old phone which I wasn't that crazy about either. It takes forever to download anything and sometimes it rings for no reason, I get error messages so often that my friends think I am texting with someone. It's not easy to type with, sometimes it gets really laggy and when I type a letter it puts it on the screen 10 seconds after I press it. If I could, I would give this phone so many negative stars. The battery dies very quickly, I keep it plugged in almost all day and I try to download one game and it's dead within hours after that. I could unplug it at the beginning of the day, not even use it once and it would be dead before I went to sleep that night. Don't get it, it's not worth the frustration.
on September 19, 2011
I've had this phone for going on a year now. My mom got it from the sprint store, who said she could have it free with an upgrade. She had it a month and hated the fact that it's touchscreen and gave it to me. I like that it's a smartphone and the swype upgrade was awesome, but there are so many things that make it annoying.
Annoyances:
-has shut off on me for no reason, more than once
-in call volume is poor
-has made a random ringing noise that can only be stopped if you make a call or turn down the in call volume
-Have had to take this to the sprint store multiple times, and had a factory reset
-has low memory for being a smartphone
-camera sucks
-Has restarted a few times and erased all of my media(ringtones, pictures and music)
-Get frequent dropped calls, no receiving of calls, text errors, and network errors
-Only silicone covers will fit this phone
Like:
-does have a great speaker for music
-the andriod system
-touchscreen
-design

Overall: Do not get this phone! sprint doesn't even sell it or give it away for free anymore. It is not worth the headache.
on November 24, 2012
I had the ZIO for a few weeks before I turned it in for a refurbished phone. I thought it was junk and it didn't work for me at all. It was impossible to type texts with the on-screen keyboard, so I was left to resort to using the voice input method, which gave me no privacy and a handful of weird looks. Its a very slow phone and the touch screen is almost always unresponsive or slow. If you are looking for a quality phone, I wouldn't choose this particular one. It is fine for cheap use and phone calls only.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations