on December 11, 2010
I purchased this with hopes of better functioning bezel in wet, humid, or sweaty conditions. This had been a source of frustration with the 405 - either not responding, or scrolling through the screens on its own. The 410 has fixed this issue - allowing for better user control of the watch. In cold conditions, i have found the watch to be a bit unresponsive while wearing gloves - sometimes have to remove glove to get a bezel response.... but still better than the 405.

In addition, i have been pleasantly surprised by how quick the Satellite connects. No more wasting time at the start of a run waiting for the Satellite to establish connecting. The 410 has cut this time in half. Fairly spendy, but well worth it if training/running is a big part of your life.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2011
When I first purchased my Forerunner 410 in November 2010, I thought it was the best thing ever. For the first three to four months, I was thrilled with it. Unfortunately, as my marathon training progressed I started to notice the watch doing some odd things. At first it would occasionally reboot for no apparent reason. Over the following weeks, the problem got worse and worse. As it did, the battery life also started becoming unstable. Sometimes the 410 would work OK, but the best case battery life dropped to 4-5 hours instead of the 8 I got out of it during those first months. In the worst cases, I would take the watch off the charger in the morning, shut it down until my run, and had a dead battery before I had gone one mile. The display that shows the battery life remaining is pretty much worthless now. And, it still suffers from reboots for no obvious reason - often at inopportune times, like during my marathon.

If you only do short to medium runs length runs, or are very fast, then the fact that the battery life seems to have problems might be acceptable for your situation. If you're planning on doing runs of several hours, won't be able to recharge it before every run, or won't find reboots during runs/races acceptable, then you might want to look for something other than the 410. When it works right, it really is a great tool for training. But, if you need a device you can count on, you might want to wait and see how the reviews look on the new Forerunner 610 or consider going with one of the older, cheaper, and more proven devices like the 305.

If you're still on the fence about purchasing a Forerunner 410 (or 405/405cx for that matter), I'd suggest you visit the Garmin forums (forums .garmin .com) and take a look at the posts by various owners who are having similar hardware/software related problems so you can make an informed decision.

Edited 5/1/11 - At this point my Forerunner 410 has become totally unreliable. I had taken it to Nashville to use during the Country Music Marathon yesterday. It had been fully charged and shutdown before I left. When I turned it on an hour or so before the race, it immediately said "low battery" and shut itself down. I charged it again when I got home. This morning it read 100% charged and I shut it down. This afternoon when I tried it use it, it again said "low battery" and shut itself down. I've again contacted Garmin about the problem. Maybe they'll replace it this time instead of just suggesting things like firmware updates and charge/discharge cycling.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
After reading some comments, I was expecting a serious learning curve. I'd braced myself & was prepared for confusion & frustration. I'm that 40yo guy who returned his first Android phone because there was too much to configure. I'm hardly some techie.

If you purchase a device like this for all it does, don't expect to grasp 'all it does' in the first ten minutes. Perhaps that's why some get frustrated. Then they come to Amazon to vent and punish Garmin because they thought operating a Range Rover would be the same as operating a tricycle. If you don't want to have to learn anything, then purchase a device that doesn't do as much for you to have to learn. Timex offers a basic heart rate watch for under $50. You'll be up and running in seconds.

I won't go over everything the GF410 does, but I'll share my experience from set-up to upload. If you're thinking about Polar & Suunto, keep reading.

SET-UP
The 410 is a very features-packed, high-quality, stylized device that is mostly easy to use. The touch bezel *is* different, but it's easy to make sense of when you understand the simple idea. In less than one hour, I was able to flow. The watch even guides you through a brief operational tutorial before you can use it. Garmin has done all they can to make it easy to understand something forward and different whilst still functional. However, it's just not too practical. As you circle the watch, your finger blocks the options that come up.

Sign up on Garmin Connect, enter your info & Garmin computes your heart rate zones. (It helps if you already know your resting rate. There is an Android app for that) Within a few minutes, I was able to build a heart-rate-based work-out interval - from warm-up to V02max. (You can look up heart rate interval training on YouTube if the idea is new to you.) You can also set up speed and distance intervals. The site holds your hand. However, most folks probably won't know what to do with the specific heart rate info feedback. The graphs require a professional or special training to do anything with.

If you're unfamiliar with interval training (for speed, distance or heart rate), go to YouTube & look up "Polar Sport Zones".

I ran into a bump whilst installing ANT. Apparently, some computers need an additional Windows file to run the program. In case ANT won't download, the file you might need is vcredist_x86. It doesn't make anything run in the background or install a start-up. It's just some component which allows for ANT technology, apparently. Everything else, smooth sailing. Without any prodding, ANT will transfer any new data between watch & computer within seconds.

As for the hardware, it's a much higher quality product than anything from Polar or Suunto. Even the design & detail of the wrist strap is impressive. Garmin throws in 2 extra cloth straps and the tools to install them. The box includes two additional charger plug-ins for foreign electrical outlets. The chest strap is soft material. The entire package feels really high-end, polished & complete.

ON THE ROAD
Everything worked as planned. Having used the 305 before, I was impressed with how quickly the 410 acquires satellites, even whilst indoors, downstairs. The 410 took me through my custom work out w/o a hitch. I came home and, by the time I'd hydrated & cleaned-up, everything was uploaded and graphed online. No peripherals, no cables, nothing to turn on or click. BAD ASS!

I do have a couple of minor gripes. Unlike the 310xt, the 410 doesn't offer vibrating feedback. You can set alarms to remind you to hydrate or eat during a long run, but those alarms are only audible. So, if you're listening to music, you won't hear them. Nothing major, but would be nice to have.

I usually program my run on the website. Programming on the watch itself simply makes no sense to me.

I found the battery life to be rather good. I'd logged 6 hours of runs, w/the light on for 2, and was left with a 76% charge. I don't need to charge it every night, as some say. Fortunately, the unit can be turned completely off when not in use. This makes all the difference. I'd rather have a battery I can recharge once or twice a week whilst sleeping, than to have to ship it off for new batteries every year.

COMPARISON: POLAR
Polars are known for their detailed heart rate feedback programs. The 410 collects much of the same information and 'Connect' displays plenty of feedback as well. You can always plug your information into other sites for even more detail. Polars use foot pods to track distance & pace instead of GPS. The pod is large & must be calibrated for each pair of shoes. That's a pain. It does, however, offer cadence feedback, but Garmin offers a smaller foot pod that does so as well. Of course, some Polars offer GPS add-ons. The closest competition to the 410, however, is the RS800x. It doesn't offer GPS add-on. Some Polars require a $44 FlowLink device to transfer workouts. A bit of a rip-off when ANT, USB cable, WiFi & bluetooth are free. Polar's RS800x, like the RS300x SD, feels substantially cheaper than the 410. On both Polars, the screens are very dim, offer no contrast or contrast settings, the backlights are a joke and the buttons are cheap. Polars just feel really dated and chintzy. Polar has poor customer service as well. I'm 'speaking' from personal experience.

COMPARISON: SUUNTO
I've never owned a Suunto, but they seem to be more geared for those traversing mountains with their altimeters and barometric pressure gauges. If you're a serious runner who takes on trails & pavement, you'd probably be better suited to a Garmin or Polar. If you're on a budget, the Polar RS300x SD is your guy. If you scale Annapurna or Mt. Kilimanjaro, then go with Suunto.

CONCLUSION
For those who appreciate what Garmin's Forerunner 410 has to offer but find themselves confused, spend some time with it. Look up YouTube vids, join the forum if need be. You'll be up & running in no time.

If you're new to these devices or this sort of training, dcrainmaker offers detailed information about training and watches. He'll always answer questions & he loves what he does.

If you've been running for a while and seem to have stagnated, the 410 will make running fun again, offering new challenges for speed and heart rate. Remember the first few months of running, when you had smaller, reachable goals & saw marked progress quickly? It's that same experience again. You'll begin to see progress and have something to work toward again. I'd already run a marathon, so my daily runs wouldn't be longer. I didn't find myself getting any faster either. HR watches will really jump-start your running again.

From unboxing, to hardware, set-up, the website, the run & uploading info, I can't find much to whine about. I'm sure I've yet to unleash its full potential. I've yet to dissect all of the technical feedback. I'm just running faster and more efficiently than ever.

I'm prone to buyer's remorse, but I'm quite happy with my purchase. The screen is a bit small. The touch bezel isn't very practical and programming a run on the device makes zero sense, but it does a lot, works well and attention to detail goes a long way w/ me. I love and recommend this device, particularly if you already have a distance running base and wish to increase performance, fitness, speed... & fun!
review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2012
I had (still have) the Forerunner 305. I also have bite-marks on the skin just below my sternum, from the heart-rate monitor. That was the final impetus to upgrade to the Forerunner 410.
Other things that had annoyed me about the 305, for years, were the weak beep (OK, it's my elderly ears that are weak, but the wimpy little meeyip-meeyip! alarms were usually missed if there was the slightest wind or traffic noise, regardless), and the fact that the 305 often took forever to synchronize with satellites.

So what do I like about the Forerunner 410? Plenty.
But, since all but a couple of those good things were already good features of the 305, I'll mostly talk about what annoys me. :-)

The Forerunner 410 is nicer looking and less bulky than the 305.
It has a nicer strap with a really nice "somebody was thinking" feature.
If you've had a 305, you know that you put it on your wrist, buckle it, and then wrestle the strap-end-retainer loop around your wrist until it traps the unruly free end of the strap (not an issue for you guys with wrists like tree trunks...). But then, as you move and work-out, that loop slides off and the end of the strap gets free. It does not come loose from the buckle, but it stands off from your wrist and gets caught on fabric with every swing of your arm. Annoying.

The 410 has a strap with slots instead of holes, and the tongue or tab of the buckle is a good third of an inch (almost a centimeter) wide. It slips easily into an available slot on the strap and stays secure. BUT the free-sliding loop that retains the end of the strap ALSO has a tab on its underside that slips into the free end of the watch-strap. No more slipping and sliding, and no more of the strap-end coming free and catching on everything in sight. Somebody was thinking! Good design, there.

But you want to know about more important features than that.

GPS
===

Go outside, stand still, switch it on (or switch the GPS mode on if the watch was already on), and it finds satellites in SECONDS. This is SO much better and more reliable than the old 305 was (is...). Both watches do a good job once they've grabbed enough satellite signals to be happy, but the 410 is ever-so-much quicker at that initial seek-and-grab of signal.

The 410 also tells you how happy it is - it tells you the current accuracy and the degree of confidence it has regarding your position, based on the number and clarity of signals it's getting. I guess the 305 did some of that, but it's more apparent in the 410.

GPS/TRAINING
============
I don't think the 305 could do this - or I never found it - the 410 detects when you've stopped moving, or slowed way down, and it automatically stops the workout counter. You no longer need to remember to pause it at every stop-light, and ESPECIALLY remember to start it again when you resume running, cycling, or whatever. That is golden! I can't tell you how many really, really short workouts I recorded with my 305, because I forgot to resume the counter after stopping for a traffic light. Of course, you can also de-select the AutoStop feature if you prefer. But I *like* it! Me, enthusiastic? You bet.

TOUCH-SENSITIVE BEZEL
=====================

Well, it's a good idea, but it doesn't work for me nearly as well as it seems to work for some other people.
I find it both insensitive and oversensitive.

You select major categories of thing-to-do-now by touching and holding your finger on specific areas of the bezel (that ring around the outside of the glass). Top is time/date mode. Bottom brings up the main menu. Left is GPS stuff. Right is training actions.
That part works pretty well. You press and you hold and after a second or two, the desired item opens.

BUT... each one opens a menu of several selections. By default, the selected menu item is not the one you want, so you must scroll up or down. The lists are mostly short. But scrolling is accomplished by touching the bezel and immediately dragging your finger partway around the circle. Touch and drag clockwise to scroll down a displayed menu; touch and drag counter-clockwise to scroll up a menu. Fine in theory. It's really inconsistent.

What feels like the identical action to me (starting at the identical position on the bezel and dragging with a given amount of pressure) is recognized one or two times, and then ignored six or seven times in row. It's summer right now, and has been hot. I've used ONLY my naked fingertip for the purpose of bezel-swiping. Sometimes that fingertip is relatively dry. Other times it's very wet (sweaty). Makes NO difference to the Forerunner 410.

It's positively infuriating to be trying and trying to move to a menu item, and the thing just ignores the strokes. And ignores. And ignores. Maybe I touched too lightly? I try a little harder next time. No? OK... more firmly. Still no? OK, very, very firmly. No. OK, you son of a b***h, I TOUCH!! and I DRAG!!!! dammit! I'm pressing so hard my finger hurts from the friction. No go. But then, I'll wait a few seconds, cool down a bit, and try again, and it works. S**t! Why now? What changed?

Well, that's bad enough, but did I mention that the thing is also too sensitive?
The other trick it has is, while it's being caressed as described, it will suddenly start recognizing ONLY the point where the touch is lifted from the bezel. So, it won't recognize that I started up at the 11-o'clock position and dragged my finger (properly toward the outside of the bezel, with the text on it, as admonished in the booklet) all the way around to the 5-o'clock position, but as I end the stroke and lift my finger off, it decides to interpret that as a single press to open the currently-selected menu item. Recall, if you will, that the currently-selected menu item is always the one I don't want, and I'm trying to scroll away from it to the one that I *do* want.

No. So, now I'm in a sub-menu that I really didn't want, and I must back out. Thank gawd one of the two actual physical buttons on the watch does that job. OK, I'm out at the original menu, still with the wrong item highlighted. Crud. I'll try swiping-to-scroll some more.

Oh lookie... Now it's gone from "I can't feel you Mr. Sledgehammer fingers" to "The slightest swiping movement jumps two or three menu items." Stop, you son-of-a-b***h, you're going to far.... doh!

S**t! Well, I'll scroll back.... s**t again! It jumped past the desired item in the other direction.

One of the reasons that I run (ok, jog) is to keep my blood pressure down. This is NOT helping.

As you can imagine, the unpredictable sensitivity to swiping is a real annoyance, and detracts from the usability of the device. It affects most functions - you have to get to those functions, as menu items, to be able configure, start, and stop them.

So, there's one last insult, then:

The watch takes forever to shutdown. It actually shuts down very promptly as soon as you tell it do so. But first, you have to get there.

Menu > Settings > Shutdown > Yes

A firm press-and-hold on "Menu" gets you started, but then every sub-menu item must be scrolled-to before it can be opened. See above about scrolling. Yesterday, it took me two and a half minutes of increasing frenzy to finally get to Yes, so I could press "enter" (one of the two real buttons on the watch), and the scum-b*****d finally shut down. Half an hour later, my blood pressure was getting down in to "normal" range.

I have a love-hate relationship with my new (just over a week at this writing) Garmin Forerunner 410.

MISCELLANEOUS
=============

Heart Rate Monitor Strap
The HRM strap is a big improvement over the one that came with the 305. For one thing, it doesn't give me hickies over my diaphragm. There's no joint between hard plastic pieces to flex and pinch my skin. I think the electrodes in the new strap also make contact more readily. But I'll find out when the cold, dry weather arrives, if I have to wet the contacts when I don the strap. So far, so good, though.

Connectivity
The 305 connected via its charging cradle, which was a USB device.
The 410 charges via a two-contact spring clamp on a USB cable, that goes either to a computer (or USB hub) or to a dedicated power block (compact and light).
The 410 data connection, however, is exclusively by wireless ANT link. A thumb-drive-sized USB device (the ANT transceiver) plugs into your computer, and then the ANT software can recognize a nearby Forerunner 410.

Curiously, you get a progress indicator from the ANT software saying that data is being downloaded from the Forerunner 410, but that data doesn't go anywhere. If you launch the Garmin Training Center software (or even if you already had it open), you do not see a new workout session appear. Instead (at least, this is how it works for me - all software and drivers up-to-date), you have to click in Training Center to tell the program explicitly to "transfer from device". At that point, a progress window opens AGAIN, and this time the watch beeps and also says it's transferring data. At the end of that operation, the Training Center activity history list is updated with your latest workout data.
Odd, but not nearly as murderously aggravating as the bezel.

I'm not clear on what was gained by the addition of the ANT transceiver as a necessary separate device - and one that I have to carry between work and home, because I commute on foot or by bicycle and I want to save and view my numbers on both computers. I'm sure I'm going to lose that thing. It has a "lanyard" hole in one end, but it's too small for the bead-chain that I use for my keys and for my favorite 32-gig memory stick. (I prefer a flexible, floppy bead-chain rather than a key ring, because it lies flat in my pocket and doesn't create wear-points on my pants - you wanted to know that, I'm sure.)

Anyway, that's what I can think of, for now, regarding the Garmin Forerunner 410.
For me, it's a mixed bag. Perhaps I'll learn the knack of the insensitive/overly-sensitive bezel controls and thereby learn to love the thing entirely. Meanwhile... like I said... love-hate.

I gave it three stars, because I can't give it two-and-a-half.
Seriously, if that bezel worked for me the way some other people say it works for them, I would give this beast a solid 5. Until then, it gets massive demerit points for that one flaw that affects all usage of the device.

YMMV

[EDIT] After some thought, I believe I might have a notion what's going on with the stupid bezel. It's the material they used, and the surface treatment. when my fingers are a bit moist... oh... say... when I'm... um... exercising? Yeah, then, the only time I use the bloody device. When my fingers are a bit moist, the skin does not pass smoothly along the 410's bezel. Instead, it's a series of microscopic grabs and releases - maybe juddering is the word - not a smooth progress, but a lot of tiny jumps, during which it is sometimes not in good electrical contact. Probably the debounce algorithm isn't up to smoothing that frequency range.

In other words, if they insist on the surface they've selected, then it should be a relatively easy firmware update to filter the kind of skipping, shuddering, non-glide that occurs when some people's skin is moist, but not sloppy-wet.

Or so I'm guessing, anyway. Too bad companies like Garmin (and plenty of others) monitor review sites like this, but don't interact and offer solutions/work-arounds. I really wish I could have a smoother experience with my Forerunner 410.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2011
I'm really enjoying this watch. Had a Forerunner 50 that was working fine, but was looking for an upgrade with GPS. I'm glad I made the move. The GPS works great. I'm typically picking up satellites before I walk out the door to run. One upgrade I really like is the advanced workout support. I can create all kinds of running workouts in Garmin Training Center and then follow them on the watch. It requires a little prep work, but the watch does the thinking for me during these workouts so I can focus on the work. There seem to be a lot of complaints about the touch bezel. I can't speak to whether the bezel on the 410 is a significant improvement from the 405, but, as for the 410, I actually kind of like it. I've never had any problems with it and I think it's a better way to navigate the loads of features on the watch. Just my 2 cents, but there's a lot of features here and the idea of pushing 10 buttons to get to the feature or screen I want is not too appealing to me.

I was concerned about Mac compatibility. Garmin seems to have fixed this as I'm having no problems at all with uploads/downloads, or use of Garmin Training Center or Garmin Connect on my Mac.

As for criticisms - It's still a pretty big watch. I find myself wearing it some on weekends when I'm not running, but I wouldn't wear it to work or anything. I don't think one would want it any smaller though, as the smaller readouts would be difficult to read. Also, at first glance, charging by way of the clip seemed a little chincy to me - but I can't think of a better way to do it and it works just fine.

All in all, if you can swing $325 for a well made, functional tool that will make your running more fun (but will not do the running for you and will not make you any faster) I highly recommend this watch.
on February 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
A great GPS watch for the serious runner who doesn't need every single feature of the 300 series and wants a less intrusive "normal" looking watch. I had the 405 for 3 years and loved it. While the 410 has only one additional feature over the 405, the big difference is that it picks the satellites up in SECONDS, not 1-3 minutes as my 405.

I usually run with auto laps (1 mile) and have the display show me the average pace in the current lap, as well as the overall distance. I used to display actual current pace, time and distance, but the actual pace is "jumping" up and down, whereas the average over a mile is more stable and I can run my training or race one mile at a time. Try this setting, and you will never go back.

The watch also allows you to set up interval training, beeping to remind you when intervals begin or end, keeping the count for you. A very useful feature!

I also used the heart rate monitor, it works fine.

If you are a serious runner and never had a GPS watch before, get one asap. You will run much more and your training will be more structured and efficient. I upload all my runs to the web (Garmin Connect), where I can see my runs on Google (now Bing) maps along with the heart rate, the pace and other statistics.

Very happy with the watch. (I wish, they made it a bit less expensive though)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2011
Plain and simply, functionality means nothing if the watch has no battery power to stay on. This would be a great watch if it had a battery that could hold a charge long enough to go for a run. If you love the looks of this watch, and are simply looking for a wrist decoration then this could be the watch for you. If you are a serious runner looking for something to track the pace of your runs I would suggest looking somewhere else.

I bought this watch in December of last year, and I have had nothing but trouble. I was training for a marathon, and hoping that this watch could help me track my pace, and distances. I was excited when I bought it, and couldn't wait to use it. Unfortunately after a few runs with it the watch kept rebooting, and wouldn't hold a charge long enough to stay alive for a 3 mile run, and that is after starting out with it fully charged prior to leaving out the door. I figured I must have a bad egg, and returned it to the sports store in which I purchased it. They apologized for the inconvenience, and informed me that not only was I not the first person to report these problems, but in fact they had two other people that very day come in to exchange the watch. They gave me an exact replacement on the spot. I have now had the second watch for 6 months, and it is now having the same problems as the first. It simply will not stay charged. I can hear it now, people are reading this thinking I have left my Ant+ device turned on for the heart rate monitor, or the GPS is left on thereby draining the power. I can assure you that is not the case. I have babied this watch like I was walking around with an unbroken egg, carefully making sure I drain it to 0 before recharging it back to 100% per the Garmin recommendations. It has not helped. I am out several hundred dollars, and now use the Map My Run application on my iPhone. It is at least reliable. I would steer clear of this watch.
on May 17, 2011
Feature-wise this is an excellent watch. However, as other reviewers have pointed out, some of the units suffer from catastrophic issues with software reboots and the battery meter. As a result, I would strongly discourage readers from buying this watch. I observed the first symptoms about a month after buying the watch. It would reboot unexpectedly. About three months later the reboots were immediately followed by false battery meter reading. The meter indicated 0% charge even though the watch was really close to 100% charge. The watch would then stay on for days, but during workouts frequent and annoying low-battery warnings were displayed as the system erroneously measures the battery at 0%.

The latest firmware upgrade does not fix the issue. I called Garmin support. They are certainly aware of the issue as they already documented procedures to recommend to users to alliviate the problem. Multiple users, including me, have reported on forums that these procedures do not work. Garmin did not acknowledge this was a software problem and explicitly stated that they have no open bugs related to the issue. They said this only happens to a very small fraction of the units sold. The only conclusion is that this may be a hardware issue and readers are better off not running the risk of buying a busted unit.
on April 14, 2011

33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2011
I have owned top of the line Polar and Suunto running watches. This watch puts them to shame. Suunto and Polar have fallen well behind I ease of use and functionality. GPS, automated wireless data downloads, touch bezel, customization, pacer, shut down to preserve battery...if you are a serious runner this is, in my opinion, the only choice.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations