Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Winsome Wood Alden Lap Desk, Flip Top with Drawer, Foldable Legs
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Color: Walnut|Change

on November 25, 2009
The product looks relatively nice, but my experience hasn't been a very good one. To begin with, the desk arrived with a small nick in the ledge along the bottom which is meant to prevent papers or a laptop from slipping off. Now, after about a month of owning the product and using it pretty lightly to hold my laptop, the desktop has split, literally from end to end down the right side, above the drawer. As much as I enjoyed having a way to elevate my laptop while working, and as much as I prefer a wooden desk to a plastic one, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this product to another buyer.
11 comment|319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2009
I bought two of these little cuties; one in oak and one in cherry. Both fell apart within days of arrival. I gave one as a gift, and kept the other. I've had to glue pieces back on, and one of the cross beams broke completely in two. It's a pretty little table, but cheap. Buy one that won't fall apart.
22 comments|203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2011
I had really high hopes for the Winsome Alden Lap Desk. Even after seeing some reviews that were less than glowing, I decided to give this lap desk a try. My largest concerns and problems with it have been the build quality and design. The finish of the lap desk, plus the flip up top were two big selling points for me. It's a shame that the lap desk lacks in quality, because it could have been an awesome product.

As someone that often uses a laptop in a chair or bed, I thought I would get some great use out of this. Truth is, I still do use it, but the quality has been lacking. First, it arrived with a minor scratch/ding. Second, it also arrived with a small splint starting the wood. I could have returned it, but it was difficult to find to begin with. Another large disappointment is the fact that all of the edges are sharp and rough. You would think when they designed this they would have realized that you would have your arms and hands resting on it all the time. The sharpness and roughness of the edge can be really irritating. Plus, I hate putting an expensive laptop on a lap desk that could easily scratch it. While the color the finish is a nice color, it could have actually be finished better. it's not smooth (although you might not want it too smooth to avoid items sliding off of it) at all and the feel of it is not appealing.

After minimal use, a portion of one of the legs came out. It's nothing that a little wood glue won't fix, but it shouldn't be happening. The drawer is very loose and opens easily. A simple magnet or anything would have prevented this. It would have also been nice to have the legs lock in place with a simple mechanism. Otherwise, it makes it difficult to move off or on you. The flip top is nice, but again, a simple mechanism would help. You pretty much need to remove your laptop before you can let it back down. Plus, you have to reach under the top itself to release it.

Some simple design improvements and finishes could have made this one very nice product. While I do continue to use it, I'm not as happy with it as I should have been. If and when I see a good replacement, I'm sure I'll replace it.
0Comment|200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2014
My friend bought me this as a gift. I was excited at first, but then when I took a closer look, I became very disappointed. As a whole, the item looks really nice. But it was poorly made. It's hard to open and close the drawer because the stable used was sticking out, which actually made a nick in the drawer. I assume who ever made the drawer had a hard time opening it, so he or she forced it open, causing the nick in the drawer. The bar on the top is not leveled. The paint/color on the sides are faded. The stand on the back is actually not alined to the ridges. It also wiggles a lot. And the stand on the back is so poorly angled that you can't use the first ridge.

Overall, it looks nice... but it's so badly made. I wouldn't recommend this item. It's not worth the money. I don't want my friend to be spending this money on something that is clearly ill made.
review image review image review image review image review image
on June 17, 2014
I practice sitting meditation (buddhist style) and I sometimes read sutras while I practice. I wanted to have a table like this for that. it's perfect size and it serves perfectly for that. I also put my laptop to watch youtube or netflix. Good quality. I highly recommend. It's better than my expectation.
review image
on March 24, 2011
Don't ever buy this desk, have only used it 10 times and already it is falling apart. The legs keep falling apart and the raised section wont lock correctly. Cleaply made!
on May 29, 2011
I have been looking for a laptop holder to use in bed for quite awhile now. I really wanted this one to work! But after vacillating for a few days, I decided to return it even though the concept was exactly what I wanted. There are just too many things wrong. It is cheaply made, poor quality. The drawer was cracked when I received it and this was not due to shipping. The legs collapse easily when using, such as if you lean over or shift your position. The legs and the drawer will not stay open or closed so it is a hassle when you try to store it as they are always falling open. The larger surface that angles up uses a wooden brace that clicks into place. It works fine on the way up and I liked the choice of angles. However, you can't really lower it from the front without pinching your fingers. You have to take everything off the desk and turn it around to get at it. I liked the height of the desk, and the look and feel of the finish and the flat surface on the right for using a mouse. But the dealbreaker was the lip or ledge that is supposed to support your book or computer. It is tiny. Even my little Acer netbook would not stay on it. In the end, this desk doesn't do anything well-- it just isn't functional. If they had spent even a dollar or two more on the materials it would have been perfect. Sigh.... Back to searching.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2010
This product has not held together at all. I've use a lot of gorilla glue to try and keep it from falling apart. I would not recommend this product. The drawer fell off in the first week. Very disappointed.
on July 19, 2011
This is pure junk. I advise anyone interested in purchasing this item to not buy it. The very first time I used it, I put a pen in the drawer and the drawer fell down and off desk. The drawer is connected by little tiny staples. Do not think of ordering this unless you want to waste you money.
on June 6, 2011
This is a great item for anyone who likes to lie in bed or sit down on the floor while still using your laptop. Other uses include a meal tray, book holder, desk or bed shelf, etc. The flip top feature has multiple settings in case one does not serve well for a user. It folds neatly for storage and can slide underneath most beds. I found that it's cherry wood finish makes it look like it is a lot more expensive than it actually is. My favorite feature is the small drawer which can hold a wireless mouse or a cell phone.

I purchased this for a family memeber that is recovering from surgery and bed ridden. They said that this is the best gift that anyone has given them so far. I searched high and low for something like this and Amazon was the ONLY place I could find it. If you are looking for features and functionality this is the product for you!
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse