Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on November 20, 2010
As a current iPad owner who also uses the Droid X, I must say that after spending 15 minutes with this thing I absolutely love it. The size is fantastic in that its a signifcantly improved viewing experience over the 4.3 inch Droid X screen (which is also great) and it is easy to hold with one hand and navigate with the other - an added bonus is that it also fits in a suit coat pocket.
The Microsoft Exchange integration with email/calendar/contacts is seemless and allows for almost all of the functionality provided via a laptop. One of the drawbacks of the iPad is its poor integration with Outlook (couldn't delete, move emails while one a plane working offline - not a problem with the Tab).

The screen is gorgeous, speed is quick and the Google location services (GPS, Latitude, Maps, Place and the list goes on and on) are fantastic.
I would highly recommend this product.

Update - after 1 week of ownership, I love it even more. As someone who travels (4 cities over last 5 days), I'm considering leaving my notebook home on business travel with future trips. The benefits of the form factor can't be overstated - it fits in my jeans pocket when out casually and in my suit jacket during business. It also smartly switches from WiFi to 3G when a WiFi network is not within reach and vice versa (so that you don't unnecessarily consume data via your cellular carrier). I also watched a movie on my East to West coast trip - 3 hour and 13 minute move burned less than half the battery time. It's also great to be able to modify .xls documents when needed - seamless integration with outlook / attachments.

Absolutely love this thing...
88 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
I purchased this unactivated, Verizon edition, without 3g. It works flawlessly and the Capacitive touchscreen is a pleasure to deal with. Full android market, and if you search the Market for "Galaxy Tab" you'll get results to further find apps optimized to the 7" inch screen.

I've gifted my Nook to my boyfriend and once you've acclimated to a nook-sized device, the Galaxy Tab is something you'll find is the "perfect size" for travel, bedside news reading and gaming.

I have toyed with the early Chinese-made tablets with the resistive touchscreens and they might give users a sense of frustration, but I assure you Samsung has made an iPad-rival-worthy device here. When Android later releases the "tablet ready" 3.0 it will only be icing on the cake.

If 3g isn't your need, seriously consider holding out for the promised wifi only edition, you'll be happy with the price break, and ecstatic with the device.

I am very pleased with this device, and numerous accessories are becoming available to tailor this to your lifestyle.

This one is "Ready for Prime Time!"
on November 13, 2010
I've owned this since 10am 11/11 when the Verizon store opened (I posted this under the tmobile version too).

I've had it for a couple of days now and I must say everyone who sees it is envious (and they should be). The tablet is running Android 2.2, which naysayers complain about. I've had nothing but good luck with it. Two of the more important features of the tablet are email and calender, which have both been revamped by Samsung to be tablet friendly.

I also run Dolphin HD as the browser, which is awesome on this size screen. Swiping left to get your book marks doesn't take up the entire screen like it does on my phone! I also run LauncherPro Plus instead of the standard Samsung TouchWiz UI. Not that TouchWiz is bad, I just am accustomed to LauncherPro, and it does have some great features.

Overall, the size is perfect. I use it as an ereader, browsing randomly while watching TV, and same games (Angry Birds! Fruit Ninja!). It has been perfect thus far, and I can't wait to see what new versions of Android bring to the table.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2010
First of, I tried to purchase the tab on amazon.
However the wireless store here did not allow me to apply some credit I still had (odd!).
So I bought it from Verizon at Bestbuy. I have to say that I love the tab and as an apple head I was not sure if I would. Much has been said and written about the tab so I will limit my review to a few informative points:

PROs:
- fast, lovely screen, good feel, did I mention fast!
- not made in China but Korea as you may have guessed.
- actually has a phone number assigned to it - you just cant make or receive calls. You can receive texts however.
- portable! Actually, can discretly use it at the office meeting!
- cameras, gps, multitasking, swype, voice recognition for email typing etc
- connected to email and wifi superfast and without any issues!

CONs:
- cam is not very good inside.
- why can't I figure out how to copy text/numbers from some webpages
- google voice cannot connect numbers.
- probably obsolete the middle of next year - like all current tablets! Enjoy it now!
- according to the rep the $20/Gb can not be used to skip a month.
So if you skip a month of data usage you will have to pay the missed month when you start again - you may want to confirm this!
- skype seems to use 3G even when the tab connects via wifi?

4* because ALL tabs/pads still don't have decent handwriting recognition.
on November 27, 2010
I picked one of these up from Verizon a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. I was originally going to wait for the wi-fi only edition, but just could not wait.

The deal maker for me was a $20/month 1 GB no-commitment data plan from Verizon. Not wanting to lock myself into a 2 year data plan without knowing how much I would use it, I figured I would try it for a month or two and cancel if I didn't need it.

But as it turns out, I am really glad that I bought this and didn't wait for the wi-fi only edition. I've used the tablet everyday on my commute to work on the train. Web surfing is snappy and not to mention the cool apps. Looks like I am going to keep the data plan after all.

I was a bit of a critic of Sammy for not giving us the wi-fi only unit at launch. But now have realized that Sammy was right all along. 3G is the way to go.
on December 31, 2010
Though I was hesitant to enter the tablet market on a first-gen device, I gave in for Christmas and decided to take the plunge. I have used an Android-based phone for over a year now and am very familiar with the Android OS. Thus, I was hard-pressed to switch to iOS just so I could have an iPad. Enter the Galaxy Tab - it uses my favorite mobile OS with all the up-and-coming apps that are constantly being developed; it is small enough that I can hold it in one hand; it does everything I want it to and more.

While Steve Jobs may think I need to file my fingers down with sandpaper to use a tablet smaller than his iPad, I have found that the Tab is far more easy to use than the iPads I've played with. I can hold it and type with ease while standing up (no lap required!); I can hold it with one hand and read my Kindle books while drinking a cup of hot tea in the morning; I can access my favorite websites that use Flash with no issues; I can slip the Tab into the inside pocket of my jacket for easy carry without a bag; I can plug it into my laptop for quick transfer of music, photos, docs, etc.

Also, somewhat surprising to me, I have noticed a decided decrease in the use of my laptop. I have ordered a keyboard for the Tab, and once it arrives, I will most likely do 80% of my work on it. I will still use my laptop for photos and some technical things that I do, but when it comes to writing and emailing, the Tab is quickly becoming my go-to device.

For those bothered that it only runs Froyo right now, I haven't noticed any issues. I'm sure things will be noticeably different when Gingerbread is released, but I'm quite happy with it now.
on November 28, 2010
The latest Verizon OTA (over-the-air) firmware upgrade has corrected a deliberate and crippling feature omission: not being able to use a wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The Galaxy Tab is now able to use both! I'd like to think my widespread complaints had something to do with it, but it undoubtedly has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the ever-increasing number of competing products, including the iPad 2.

After using the Galaxy Tab daily for several months, I can say that I am extremely pleased with it. I find it much more convenient to use than my iPad, which I have since given to my mom. ;)

Now with the addition of the Bluetooth HID (human input device) stack, the Tab is no longer restricted to the on-screen keyboard.

In summary, I like the unit even more now than I did previously (even disregarding the Bluetooth problem), so I'm increasing my rating from 3 to 4 stars. And now with the ability to use the external keyboard & mouse, I'm increasing my rating from 4 to 5 stars.
2020 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2011
OK, maybe I am just getting a little bit old... But I have a hard time reading on my cell phone screen. I don't mind doing it for brief periods, but I am not going to read a book on it. I was looking for a mobile e-reader device, but wanted more than the Kindle has to offer. The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been perfect for my needs.

My primary wants were this:

1 - Read books using Amazon Kindle software
2 - Battery MUST last two days of occasional use (in case I forget to charge it)
3 - Jot down notes during meetings so I don't forget something
4 - Reply to email from Exchange at work when away (without needing a laptop)
5 - Play games (not often)
6 - Browse online (pretty rare)

The Kindle software is awesome, and I can sync just like you would expect. I find the screen is not as easy on the eyes as an actual Kindle, but it is very good. While it is a bit heavy for extended reading, I bought a flip case with a stand and put it on my stomach or a pillow while reading. Works great.

The battery life is great. Even with me using it off and on during the day, email sync, etc I can go two days if I forget to charge it one night. The charge is also pretty quick when on the wall socket. This is the first mobile device I own that I don't have to carry a charger with me at all times.

I don't have a pen for this, but I might get one. I like being able to jot quick notes, but my typing skills on the tablet are not so great. Finger works fine.

Exchange integration is ok out of the box. I bought a software package from the Android marketplace that has amazing Exchange abilities (Touchdown). VERY happy with this software on this device.

There are a ton of games on the marketplace. I tend to play Angry Birds, or other casual games when I am bored. These are quick and fun to play.

The browser is fine, and there are replacements on the marketplace if you want another one.

**Other thoughts**

I have not tried watching a movie, or playing flash, etc. Just not something I need to do all that often.

I like the ability to plug it in to USB and just drag and drop files on. After iTunes this feels almost like cheating it is so easy. I put a few folders of my kids pictures on the card and they all show up magically without any special placement or software.

I don't use the cameras on the device... My kids have played with them, but that is about it.

The active wallpaper is really cool. It is eye candy to be sure, but it is very neat. I have a fishtank for my wallpaper with fish swimming that looks really neat.

The WIFI seems good, and the atenenna works even in my basement (something some laptops have failed to do for me). I have a data plan with Verizon and have been very happy with the performance.

I have seen an HDMI cable for the Tab to let you hook up to a TV, but all my projectors at work are VGA. :( I didn't buy it for that, but it would have been neat to be able to project from it as well.

** Unexpected **

I didn't expect to actually carry the Galaxy Tab as much as I do. It is so light that I don't even think about it. Something that I cannot say for my netbook, I dread carrying it with me to meetings.

The GPS and map feature are GREAT at this size screen. A phone is just too small to drive and look where you are going. This is large enough to leave on the passenger seat and glance over to see your next turn. I didn't expect to use it for that, but it has worked out very well.
on February 21, 2011
I've had the Galaxy Tab for nearly three months now and it's easily been one of the best tech purchases I've made in a while. What it has done is replaced my Android smartphone for accessing web/data/app resources, and pretty much made my phone (Nexus One) just that --- a phone. I pick up the Nexus One for calls, contact info, texting, time and the occasional snapshot, while the Tab does everything else, which is a hec of alot. Email is so much better, apps and web browsing superior, and I can carry the device everywhere with me and it isn't that big of a deal. It really can fit in your pocket (but I wouldn't want to carry it that way for an extended period of time). The form factor is really key. I also work in a work environment with several iPad users but I rarely see them using their devices for work. They all start off using them, or attempting to integrate them into their processes, but eventually they're back to their laptops in meetings, etc. I use my Tab constantly in meetings and my six month old laptop is pretty much only taken out for business trips. Also, battery life kicks butt. With regular usage, I charge mine every 2 - 3 days, but I think it would probably make four or five if it really needed to. Why can't my phone do this?
The cons for it are that I don't like Verizon, I think they're kind of smarmy. When I bought the device, the guy in line next to me was pretty much screaming at his salesman and his salesman was pretty much screaming back. I almost left because it was so annoying. The screen gets smudgy, but I also carry a screen cleaner with it so it's not that big of a deal. I also wish there was a better set of accessories available. I only use the original power cord it came with because I read so many mixed reviews about the docks out there.
I was looking for an inexpensive, well built, glitch free tablet that I could use for word processing, GPS navigation with traffic for trips, and web surfing with Flash in a not-too-big package. This device works smoothly and starts up fast. There are tons of apps and I haven't run into one that doesn't work. Youtube watching is crisp and beautiful. With a little finagling, you can get this to work as a VOIP send and receive phone and you don't have to root the machine (look for Skype 3G outside the Android Market and pair it with Google Voice). The battery lasts for a whole day of use. I think the iPad 2 is a little slicker, but it's too big to lug around, doesn't do Flash (which was recently upgraded through Verizon so it runs nicely on the Tab), and costs hundreds more (Verizon just had a huge price drop on this unit). The music and video player are both easy to use as is the Kindle app. The Tab works well as a hot spot, and is very slick toggling between Wifi and 3G with the latest upgrade. It also works well with an Apple bluetooth keyboard and comes with a decent word processing app. This unit is a definite thumbs up.