Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on August 18, 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this subwoofer and I couldn't be happier. I have had it for about 2 years now and have not had one single problem with it other than it shipped with a dead remote battery. The subwoofer is in the corner of our living room (11'x17") and the rest of the speakers are Polks as well. The complete system is an Onkyo TX-NR809, 2 Monitor 70's in front, a CS20 center, two front high OWM-3's, and two OWM-5's for surround speakers.

Compared to the last subwoofer I had (100w Sony 8") this thing is a beast. It can hit the lows and shakes the entire condo building I live in. Whether its music or movies it all sounds great! The remote duplicates the settings on the back of the subwoofer and lets you adjust the volume and phase, and also has 4 different room settings based on the position of the sub. I had no problem programming my Onkyo receiver remote to control the sub either.

I almost bought a Polk 8" subwoofer because of the small form factor but this thing was only slightly bigger and a lot more powerful. After hearing how great this sub sounds I am happy I didn't buy an 8". This subwoofer is amazing, you will not be disappointed.
on June 29, 2014
Like many others, I fret over spending any hard earned money on audio upgrades. I looked through myriad of options and configurations, front firing, down firing, dual side firing, passive radiators and what not. I have had a number of front firing subs, including a Klipsch 10" digital amp that became very disappointing as I increased the quality of my stereo speakers. It was a great sub for home theater, but when I went to a 2 channel only, the Klipsch became an obvious weak link. The reason why I say this is only for background. I've had a down firing Yamaha that bottomed out quick, I had a big JBL 12" that was okay, mostly rumble and boom, no detail or clean drum strikes.
I took a chance on this sub because I could get it direct from Polk Audio as a refurbished unit for only $299 delivered. If it was a bum, I wouldn't cry in my beer over $300 bucks. Well, I am more than surprised and happy with this sub - as a matter of fact, I plan to add a second one later on.
I am running this amp with a 12' signal cable, upgraded ZU Audio power cable and it sits on a 3/4" custom cut pine plinth with the spikes solidly stuck in the wood. I pulled out the cheap fill and put in Fiberfill. I had my audio buddy over to listen and I played "Fanfare for a Common Man" and we both sat in shock and awe. The bass drum thwacks shook my water cup like the scene from Jurassic Park. It was clean, loud and had good note detail. Yes, this is no SVS sub, but for $300, I have not owned anything that comes close to this level of performance. I was able to integrate this sub in with very detailed sounding KEF R300 monitors. Best money I've ever spent on a speaker, bar none.

Update 12/15/2014
So this unit decided to crap out in less than a year's use. I leave this unit on standby as it had no issue with auto on function from my pre amp/DAC. A few nights ago my wife and I are startled out of bed because it sounded like someone is running through our house. I jump out into the hallway to darkness and nothingness; yet the noise I am hearing is bizarre. I am searching all over the kitchen and living room for a strange pulsating sound to find out the subwoofer servo went out and it was vibrating on its own. I unplugged it, tried to reset it, moved it to another location just to be positive and sure enough, 6 months of use and it is dead. This was a refurb unit from Polk Audio - never again. I am changing the rating to reflect short life span of product.
on July 24, 2013
Good price, good subwoofer. I'm using this in my theater room and it produces pretty good bass and sound depth. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with a power cord or a subwoofer cord. So be aware that you need to purchase those separately.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2014
I originally bought a dsw pro 400 along with a pair of rtia5, a csia4 and a pair of f/xia4. The 400 develop a random/occassional thumping issue after 2+ years of ownership. The local retailer replaced the original dsw pro 400 with a floor model of the dsw pro 500 at a steep discounted price. Recently, the 500 floor model bit the dust and wouldn't even power on. The local retailer has recently went out of business so I had called Polk Audio for warranty support. They determined that the amplifier went bad and would need a replacement. They asked for a receipt from the local retailer, but I don't have it anymore. We were willing to accept a cc statement as proof since the retailer was an authorized dealer.

Less than a week later, the replacement amplifier arrived and it was for the dsw pro 550wi. I am not technical so it took a bit work and some helps from the kind folks (Kenneth C.) at Polk Audio to replace the dead amplificer, but it fit perfectly without any problem. I am no audiophile, but the 550wi amplifier sounds great (same as my old 500 if not better). I noticed the date stamp was 2008 on my old 500's amplifier. So it took 6 years of daily punishment (3 on show floor plus 3 in my family room), not bad at all. I may've killed the original 400 by cranking it up too high (80% or higher) in my large family room because it was under powered for that room size. The 500/550wi only requires about 50% to 'rumble'.

The one drawback with the new 550wi amplifier is that my old 500 remote will NOT work with it. I had to borrow a Harmony remote set it so it not a big deal considering the facts. Then just place it in the corner when it set and enjoy full 5.1 surround once again. May be that's why I think it sounds better than my old 500.
on July 24, 2012
Perfect addition to my listening experience. Provides rich deep bass that fills my oversized living room easily. Love the wireless functionality that this sub offers.
on October 12, 2015
Outstanding performance, highly recommend...and it got here in 2 that's two days! Amazing.
on October 29, 2014
Quiet purchase, fast shipping and excellent product in its packaging. Thank you!
on April 28, 2012
This subwoofer is a solid product and have had no issue's with the remote like other's have. It could be that this thing can produce such low frequencies you just might think that the remote doesn't work when you are trying to adjust it. The reason that I say that I should have gotten a different one is that this thing is huge, I mean it's almost the size of one of those little refrigerators you see in college dorm rooms! This sub will not wake the neighbors if you live in a house in an average neighborhood with an average amount of space between houses. If you are looking for a sub that will hit really hard, this is not the sub for you. (Polk has the DSW microPRO that has a 1200 watt AMP, this has a 200 watt AMP) If you are looking for a really nice, do everything good and have room then this is a nice sub. Would I recommend, absolutely but with the disclaimer above.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2011
I had a lot of mixed emothions about this subwwoofer. The subwoofer looked great and sounded good when the music was playing, here's where the issues came up. The supplied remote with the unit did not work. Tried changing the supplied battery, no luck. The polk wireless unit that works pretty neatly with it would cut in and out and when music was not present would make odd noises. I ended up returning the unit to the seller. Very bad QC on Polk Audio's behalf on both the subwoofer and the Polk wireless module. Very dissapointed.
on June 18, 2011
Bought this subwoofer online. Brand new in sealed box.

For my setup, I used the "auto" power option which is supposed to turn on the speaker when it receives an audio signal and go to "standby" when there is no signal. The speaker would randomly go on standby even when there an obvious bass playback. I would have to manually turn the unit off and back on. Polk support said there was probably something wrong with the speaker, but it was not under warranty because I bought it from an unauthorized reseller. They did, however, recommend that I just leave the speaker on all the time. This would be a viable option if my AV receiver had a switched outlet (It does not and they did not ask). I am now using the "standby" power option which requires me to turn the unit on and off via the remote control. This means crossing the room and placing the remote on top of the speaker because the IR sensor is on the top back.

So, I guess Polk's position is to stand behind its resellers before the functionality of their products.

Also, I am using the speaker in the front-firing position which puts the amplifier aspect facing down. Polk's approach to this option is to provide extensions for the feet which adds 1 1/2" to the overall height (not ideal for cabinet placement with limited dimensions). A right-angle IEC power cord and RCA adaptor is a more logical solution.

The speaker sounds as good as one in this price range should. But I will always be unsure based on the problems I have had so far.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse