on April 12, 2011
This base grade 2011 model does all that is expected at this price point and resolution. Very clear picture with just a hint of graying in the black areas. The 5.1 audio out is great for older style A/V receivers that don't handle HDMI input. One digital audio (toslink) cable from the tv handles all audio to the receiver that was input to the tv via HDMI. Easy set up but swivel base would have been nice. One piece of deceptive advertising is the PIP funtion. Only available if you are in PC mode. Don't expect to get PIP from two sources unless one is main screen PC. The matte screen handles reflected light well and the glare from the frame is bearable. Very little motion blurring at this screen size with 60hz response and back lit flourescent versus LED isn't worth the extra money. Good solid buy at this price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2011
This Sony HDTV provides unbelievable options for picture selection and audio selection. The modes are pre-calibrated by Sony and I just love the various scene selection options, I just need to switch between the various modes based on the need (I just use the Game Mode and Movie Mode).

I notice a lot of people complaining about the sound in their HDTV. I like the audio output on this Sony HDTV compared to the Samsung C350 that I owned before this one.

Additionally, the remote has the option to control other HDMI output devices such as a blu ray player or a PS3. You can also connect a USB device to this HDTV and play songs or photos.

I was not too impressed initially by the picture output but later realized that dullness in the picture was due to the light sensor, once I turned it off everything looks picture perfect. This is a 2011 model, and I guess there is no Sony HDTV that would provide you all these options for this price range.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
I've purchased and returned 2 LCD TVs: a Samsung 40" LCD in 2008, and a Panasonic VIERA 32" LCD just a few weeks ago. Both of these seemed to be good TVs, but IMHO the Sony Bravia blows them both away, especially considering that Amazon's price is significantly cheaper vs the others.

The set-up was very fast and simple. I used the enclosed TV stand for my Bravia and it took less than 5 minutes to assemble. The TV is extremely stable on the base, even a little more so than the Panasonic. I had no qualms about setting it on top of a small, sturdy dresser to get some height for better viewing.

The only snags I encountered at all were with setting up the HDMI interfaces between my Lenovo laptop computer and Panasonic DVD player/recorder. At first the picture quality was marginal, but I think the HDMI settings must take some time to sort out. The TV seems to be smart enough to eventually get everything set, and the laptop's external viewer settings did identify the Sony television and once that was done, I could make some changes to the view settings to get what I wanted. (When I changed from the PC HDMI input to another source and back, the Panasonic TV wouldn't show the computer input and I'd often have to reboot the computer to get it to show right.) So, patience is required to get your view settings as desired, but this TV can handle just about any preference!

It's possible the Panasonic might have had a slightly "crisper" picture and less darkening effects with some movies, etc. But I just turned up the backlight on the Sony and no more worries. The sound on the Sony, however, is superior IMHO.

PROS:
Excellent remote control with logical labels. ALL the buttons serve a useful purpose and their purposes can be learned intuitively and quickly through use.

Ease of changing viewing width/angles to accommodate quality of source signal, on the rare occasion the TV didn't get it right the first time.

Great sound quality and functions - RCA out jacks are critical!

Video motion seemed very smooth - I have ear/balance/migraine issues and even so I didn't get a nauseated/dizzy feeling as much as I did with the Panasonic or Samsung (though the Sam's screen was too big for the room).

Current price at Amazon - $358.99?!

CONS:
Dark/night scenes in movies could be a little "too dark" unless the backlight was increased. I suppose this might shorten the life of the TV, but I don't think it's necessary to do this except for certain programming.

Like most LCD TVs in this price range, the internal speakers are marginal. I'm currently looking for a cheap external audio solution (e.g., higher-end self-powered computer speakers with an adapter to the RCA out jacks)

This is a safe investment in a quality, solid TV - the cheaper TV models weren't "enough cheaper" to warrant taking the risk. For a bedroom or small living room the SONY Bravia LCD 32" is simply unbeatable for the price.
on May 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
Easy set up, very light weight, spectacular picture and color, sound is good but I have it in a close enclosure in a bedroom. I did a lot of online and local store shopping and think this a great value. No need for more pixels in this size set,details are very sharp.
on June 17, 2011
Verified Purchase
I havent even had the tv for 24 hours and already i am super pleased. one other customer stated that this is a 1080p tv and not 720p. this is not accurate. the tv simply accepts 1080p signals via HDMI. if the tv did not have this built in, you would either have to downgrade the source, or you would just get a blank screen. this is only a 720p tv.

that being said, its crisp, its lightweight, doesnt produce alot of heat, deep blacks, bright whites, and great color. i dont use the speakers, as i have a sony soundbar for space saving reasons. plenty of options inside the menu for customization. it may be a smidge more expensive than some other comparable tv's, but it is well worth the price and its still more than affordable.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2011
Pleased with the set overall.

The audio could be better as the speakers face behind the set and need to be loud to hear the set well (but doing it that way seems to improve the sound tone somewhat). No jack for headphones, nor can the remote adjust the volume of the RCA audio outputs (I have to listen through headphones by connecting my headphones to the cable set top box, and then change the cable box settings every time I switch from speakers to headphones).

Picture quality (black levels, contrast) seems excellent, with color looking pretty accurate to my eyes right out of the box. Without a colorimeter or spectroradiometer and software for precise measuring, it's difficult to say much empirically. I read that the Bravia3 engine improves standard definition (SD) quality somewhat from last year's BX300 model that has the Bravia2 engine. Not having watched a BX300, I can't say if the BX320 is that much better or not, but it certainly improves on the SD picture quality of other brand's sets I've tried out over the last few years and eventually returned, mostly because of SD picture fuzziness.

I have most all the picture adjustment features for reducing noise set to off, and use the Cinema mode.

Another similar set, the BX420, may be better if you plan to hookup a computer using HDMI (1080p looks better for this).

Even though Sony doesn't manufacture these sets in Japan anymore, I'm hoping the reliabilty and longevity I've had with other Sony televsions in the past will continue with this set.
on August 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
What can I say about this model. For one, it's a Sony 32" LCD HDTV, and it's only $378! I wasn't expecting it to blow me out of the water, and there are no bells and whistles, but this is exactly what I wanted, a base model 32" HDTV, and it's what I got. All the picture modes look great, the speakers are awesome for what they are, and I can't be more happy. Sure, it could of had a headphone jack, maybe a few more HDMI ports, but I could care less about those miniscule features. Arrived quickly, no damage or anything during shipment. My PS3 looks amazing now, and WOW, Blurays look beyond explanation. I would definitely recommend this TV for it's low price and amazing picture/sound.Sony!!!!!
on July 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
Great TV. I read the review in Consumer Reports and decided on the TV. Found the best price on the net, and arrived quickly and as promised. Sound is great and picture is great. Easy set up.
on January 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
This 32" TV is good, not great. I thought that the TV was able to get bright enough for that pop in contrast that I like to see. I calibrate all my TVs based on using various calibration Blu-Rays as well as utilizing AVS forum user suggestions. While this may not be as good as a professional calibration, it usually works out well. I had this TV stacked up against the TCL 32", LG 32LK450 and Samsung 32" 360 series. In the end, the TCL 32" seemed to provide an acceptable picture but not as detailed as the others, but it was able to provide better contrast than the LG & Sony (I was surprised as well). In the end, I stuck with my Samsung as I felt the picture was not as soft as the Sony and LG and provided enough contrast and sharpness to edge the others out. If you can get this TV for under $250, then it may be worth it.
on July 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
The picture is sharp with good contrast and sound. The factory adjustments were almost perfect and required very few changes.
This is the second one I purchased from Amazon. The first was given as a gift and after seeing how pleased the recipient was
I decided to buy one for myself.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations