Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 3, 2011
Pros:
1. Excellent battery life - many review sites claim it's the longest lasting Android phone and performs just below the Iphone4. I can pretty much use this all day long and not have to worry about being tethered to a wall socket
2. UI is extremely responsive thanks to the dual-core and also the RAM. For example, pinch to Zoom works great on web browsing. Out of the phones I've tried, the flash heavy sites load well and the phone can handle all of it.
3. Plays pretty awesome HD and Tegra2 games. Samurai II THD is a great example of how this phone can perform.
4. qHD display is bright, crisp, and text/graphics are easy to see on it. Currently its the best resolution you can get on an Android phone.
5. Nice updates coming.. ie. 1080p support, Gingerbread, etc.

Cons:
1. Pictures taken by the camera have a slight purple tinge to them
2. HSUPA+ is not enabled (yet?) by AT&T
3. Docks are ridiculously expensive/unnecessary (the car dock might be an exception)
4. Some apps don't currently support the Atrix or run in a buggy manner due to the increased resolution and some other things
5. Back cover of the phone is too smooth and without a case, it might just slip out of ones'hands
6. Locked bootloader

Overall Impression:
I want to say that this is one of the best Android phones I've used and the hardware definitely ensures that it'll be able to handle whatever apps/features that get released in the coming year or two. Tegra2 has a lot of potential and it's really just a matter of waiting for the software to really utilize the dual-core and extra memory this smartphone has. As a 4" phone, I really feel that its a good size - not too big that it fits uncomfortably in my pocket and yet not so small that it makes web browsing/typing difficult. Again, the large 1930mah battery coupled with the adjustable power consumption of the tegra 2 finally gives you a phone that you can use throughout the day. After moderate use (heavy texting, browsing pages, checking email occasionally), my Atrix lasts on average 14 hrs and still have about 30% battery power left. Though the software still has a few bugs, I'm sure future updates will make owning this phone even more pleasurable. I also feel that the highly customizable nature of Android and such a large developer support makes this smartphone better fit my needs and I'm confident that its hardware features will be utilized to its full potential. If you are an avid tech blog reader, you probably know that the devs at Xda have already enabled some features on this phone including tethering hacks and accessing webtop without the need to buy the HD docks. If you're looking into purchasing a new smartphone on the At&t network, I would highly recommend giving this phone a serious look. You will be hardpressed to find another android device that gives similar battery power, features, and hardware that will last your entire 2 year contract and beyond.

Edit: Honestly, to all those other reviewers complaining about certain apps not working...give it some time! Don't blame the hardware when this is obviously a problem that needs tweeks from the Android app developers. A prime example is Qik. When this phone was released Qik absolutely did not work with the Atrix. After a few days, Qik for Atrix was released and now it works fine. The same goes for all the other apps you are looking for. Please be patient, this phone was released recently.
on December 19, 2011
The Motorola Atrix 4G Unlocked is a really good Android Smartphone for the Price, It came Unlocked (It has the AT&T logo at back side), Excellent Display, Really atractive design, Excellent Performance, The battery performance is great also. Some times the fingerprints sensor is not very accurate (It is the only Android that has this feature) and some times it self reboot without any advice, I read that all Androids self reboot when it gets update. But in general it worths the money, very good deal for the price.
on June 12, 2012
this phone is a year old and it's STILL amazing. it's 6 months older than the iphone 4s and still faster and overall better. has a super unique fingerprint unlock that i've never seen in any other phone. my ONLY complaint is the build quality. not to say it's bad in any way. just could be a tiny bit better. it's a phone that really has everything. hdmi, finger scanner, sd card slot, 4g, dual core. HIGHLY recommend this.
on April 21, 2011
I have so many good things to say about this phone, so I'll only write about the things that are wrong with it. i.e. lets' get critical. As of my writing this on 4/20/11 there is an issue with charging performance in the car dock. I'm using the OEM Motorola ECOMOTO Rapid Rate vehicle power adapter (850 mAH) with dual USB ports. You can tell this USB charger is a good product just by the weight of the thing! A test charge began at 7:45 AM and the phone's charge was 20%. At 9 AM 30% and 10:30 AM 40%. This is obviously nothing like the wall charger so it makes me believe that the phone is powered by the charger while docked plus receiving a trickle charge. Conneting the phone directly to the USB car charger (without the car dock) using a stock USB to micro USB charging cable, at 8:00 AM the phone was at 20%, 8:20 AM 40%, 9:00 AM 70% and 10:00 AM 100%. What a contrast!! So there is an issue with charing performance while in the car dock. I'll be reporting this to Motorola and would expect them to address with a firmware update on the Atrix phone or a recall on the car dock, depending how they device their solution. You can say you read it here first as from what I know, this has not been reported on any forums yet.

Another issue that I have identified, is that when setting MOTOblur to only update only wifi, this does not stop the phone from performing updates to Social Networking, in fact there does not appear to be a way to enable/disable or manually refresh Social Networking. Setting MOTOblur to update only over wifi, seems to only disable syncing for the FB, linkedin, MySpace, Twitter inbox. THe only way to stop the phone from using data for these services si to turn Data off on the phone. THis then forces the phone to only use wifi, when available.

Again, this review was intended to be written as a critical review. The list of reasion to have this phone is endless. As you can see, the list of reasons not to have this phone is pretty short! :)
on March 12, 2011
love to have this phone and take it everywhere i go my favorite phone so far.

The hardware of the Atrix 4G is notable for a number of reasons, not the least of which is design. The body of the phone is largely plastic, but don't let that bother you too much -- it's put together so solidly that it feels like a much pricier material. The handset measures 2.5 inches wide by 4.63 inches long, and just 0.43 inches thick, which means that the Atrix is nearly as thin as the iPhone 4 -- quite a feat considering how much horsepower is packed inside. The phone probably gains a little of its solidness via its weight, which clocks in at a not-feathery 135 grams (about 4.8 ounces) -- and we like that a lot.

Like most slate phones, the front of the device is nearly all screen, save for the familiar Android buttons along the bottom, and the front-facing camera and earpiece up top. Along the top rear of the phone is a power / sleep button which just happens to be a fingerprint scanner too, and the 3.5mm headphone jack. Along the right side of the phone is the volume rocker (easily accessible with your thumb during calls if you're right handed). On the left side you'll find the Micro USB and HDMI ports. Around back, the stylishly patterned casing is broken by the 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, and a speaker along the bottom of the phone.

As far as truly unique hardware goes, the fingerprint scanner seems fairly novel -- but in practice it's a little frustrating. It does work as advertised, but being told to re-swipe your finger if it doesn't take when you're trying to get into the phone quickly can be a little bothersome. Unless you really need the high security, a standard passcode will suffice for most people.

Fingerprint scanner quibbles aside, the Atrix 4G is one of the better looking Android devices we've had a chance to use. We would have liked to see higher quality materials in play here, but despite the housing, the phone comes off as both sleek and rugged -- a great combo for something that will likely be doing double (if not triple) duty in your connected world. From an industrial design standpoint, this device more than holds its own against the the best of the best on the market right now.
on October 26, 2011
Bought the phone in May 2011, and by the end of October the touch screen started acting strange. The phone randomly senses a touch aka ghost touching. The touch screen was replaced and that did not fix the problem. The issues include random touches, dead places on the screen (particularly the notification section at the top), randomly dropping finger drags using Swype, will start jittering between panels, home/back/search buttons at bottom become unresponsive. Because this issue is constant it makes the phone unusable.

Based on feedback from other users on this issue, it is a Motorola defect. Would suggest those looking for a phone to pass over this one and not buy.

Loved the phone up until this issue arose.
on April 18, 2011
I just went from the 2g flip phones to this phone, my wife choose an iphone 4. (I also had a 3rd gen ipod touch) In keeping with previous reviewers that compared the Atrix to the Iphone 4, I will tell you that side by side the Atrix blows it away. Being able to customize your phone with Android is a huge benefit that you cannot get with the iphone. Plus my GPS receiver seems to be better than her's. Another big difference is the Atrix car dock (buy this now on Amazon). If you own this phone and drive you must buy the $50 dock.
I drive a lot in the DC area where navigating is a pain. With the car dock, Atrix and blue tooth my experience is awesome.
Pro: The phone is fast
Battery lasts all day as long as you don't have bluetooth, GPS and wifi on at all times.
Customizable
car / vehicle dock

Con:
Will freeze / crash once a week or so, but I just restart it and everything is fine.
on October 10, 2011
I ordered an Atrix with high hopes and was one of the first Android phone owners, the HTC G1. Since then I've been an iPhone user now for a couple of years and was in the mood to go back to Android and the Atrix seemed like a well reviewed phone to go with. However this was not the case for me and how I use the device. The Atrix with nearly any other application running in the back ground will stutter and skip on both streaming music and locally played MP3 files to the point of absurdity. I had the phone for two weeks trying to resolve the issues, performing factory resets and installing and reinstalling applications and posting on forums to resolve the issue. In the end I sent it back disappointed and chose not to waste my upgrade on my phone. If you are a power user and expect to stream music via Pandora I expect that you will be very disappointed with the Atrix as well.

The Atrix has a serious issue with music playback that has been well documented by user groups online and on Motorola's support forums. It's unfortunate that Motorola will not address the problem or even comment on the issue in their own support forums and this speaks volumes of Motorola's support. I would suggest you read up on these issues before burning your upgrade to get an Atrix. At this point the Atrix community only has a new kernel install to address the problem which voids your warranty and can brick your phone if a mistake is made.

In my opinion there are other Android devices more worth your time if you are a fan of streaming music.

See Motorola support forums here:
[...]

Atrix Owners Forum here:
[...]
on December 28, 2013
Let me start by saying, the Motorola Atrix has everything I was looking for in a phone. The screens are easy to navigate. I can customize the home screen and quick keys for easy access to the things I use the most. It takes decent pictures which (when it works) are easy to share via facebook, text, email, Bluetooth, etc. HOWEVER, the phone constantly freezes up during any task. We got 3 of them for our family and they all have the same flaws. My husband, literally, was having a heart attack and while he was calling 911 the phone froze. He had to remove the battery and restart it to call an ambulance!!! He made it to the hospital in time, by the way. I sent Motorola a letter and they replied (basically), "I'm sorry to hear that." The photo gallery stops working probably 60% of the time when I'm sharing, modifying, or arranging photos. You tube videos often will not play. The batteries rarely last 24 hours and will sometimes rapidly drain and die. I carry an extra battery at all times. I have even tried removing and/or stopping every app on the phone and it still acts crazy.
on July 23, 2011
A few comments on the Atrix:

Call Sound Quality : Very Good to Excellent. I'd have to say between T-Mo and ATT it's a toss up but they're both better than Verizon in my opinion. GSM just sounds better.

Speaker/Speakerphone: FANTASTIC. I'm a big fan of Pandora + Phone + Shower and this is the first one that really does do the job. Iphone 4 and MyTouch 4G come close. The iPhone sounds good but not loud enough and the MT4G gets a little distorted at full volume.

Battery Life: Not the best for sure, but worth it as the phone is a speed freak. If I am careful I can get 1.5days without a charge. If you drive buy a car charger, if you bus/walk/ride consider a "backup battery" either an external pack or an extra battery that you keep charged.

Lapdock: If this was $149.99 retail I'd say pick it up. I love mine. It's like having a first gen Atom Netbook. It's thin, does the job, nice build quality and it acts as a "second battery" for the phone which is awesome. But the retail price is just horrible. I suggest looking on a local classified website or the used section on Amazon.

Screen: The best I've used. Good off angle viewing. I think the pixel density is high enough.... I know there is a lot of hyperbole about resolution but qHD I think would be fine up to 4.3" screens. Once you get to 5" though it really needs 1024x600 or higher.

Build Quality: Solid. Not an iPhone 4 but it also will not shatter if you look at it funny. No flexing or weirdness when in your hand. If anything it's a little slippery/smooth... I've had it slide out of my hands a couple times now.

Network Quality: Well. This is a "how fast do you need it?" kind of question. I can say without a doubt that T-Mobile HSPA+ in Seattle is darn fast. My MT4G gets 14Mbps down easily. I can only get like 6Mbps on my Atrix. Does it matter? Not really. Even when using it as a wifi hotspot. Though It's a HUGE jump from my Palm Pre on Verizon... That poor guy was lucky to get 2Mbps and it was noticeable when using wifi hotspot on it.

Quirks: It's weird, but sometimes it just turns off. I might just have a bad device. Since I usually root/mod/etc I don't care (I have not done it yet, but I am sure that it'll happen in the future)..

Software: The Android Gingerbread (2.3.4) update dropped today and it seems to have really made a great device better. I hope it can help with the battery life. It made a HUGE difference with the Lapdock as they update to Firefox 4.0 (I mean, HUGE difference...).

Other accessories: The media dock is overpriced but useful if you don't have anything else plugged into the TV. Car dock is awesome and comes with a very nice car charger. The only thing that I've had issues with is finding a case thin enough to use with all of the docks. Have not found one yet.

Right now if I had to suggest a phone on AT&T this would be it.