Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

• Customer Reviews

on February 28, 2014
I don't like all the reviews that say "Good for the money", because when you want something good and are willing to pay extra for it, the reviews like these do not give any info.
So, I will not do that, and will give these headphones 4 stars as an absolute measure. Not to confuse people I will say it is only because a more expensive will be better.

So, I will say here - these are great headphones. Sound quality, clarity are much much better than acceptable, I was trying the AKG headphones of other model costing $85-$100, and the only difference was just slightly better sound isolation. If you use these (K404) at the highest volume, people around you may be able to hear your music. And that means, that headphones loose a little of sound energy supplied. However, the great news is that one doesn't have to listen at the highers volumes. These headphones sound great at all ranges in a volume. Great at 10% of the full volume and doesn't kill your hearing.
Additionally - very lightweight and at the same time sturdily made, so you don't have to be constantly on alert that you would break them. For my purpose and for my purpose only, I found that the cord is extremely long for listening to pocket player. For those who use them at home this is NOT a limitation, but if you use headphones at home, you would probably go for a different model - more like studio monitors.
In summary - Great headphones. They occupy the space of portable headphones and prove much better - 1) You don't put the piece in your ear - hygiene reasons. 2) Small ear-buds give direct sound, which hurt hearing in a long run - these are around ear, so work rather like a small speakers near your ears. Still a danger to hearing as all headphones, but less than ear buds.
on December 11, 2012
Good sound with great portability. I a know a fair deal about headphones, so my review is trustworthy. They fold to fit into a large pants/shorts pocket and ift the head well. Unfortunately, the folding mechanism seems to place the cable/earpiece junctions under stress if you fold it all the way. Nonetheless, a careful owner will not damage them.
The warranty card specifically says not valid in the United States or Canada. (What about Mexico? Strange, and somewhat infuriating, really.)
on September 6, 2014
I am totally thrilled with these headphones. I ride on very noisy buses, and the earphones I was using were barely making my music heard over the bus noises. They also were interfering with my glasses while I was trying to look at my phone. I had high hopes when I bought these, and they came through.

A lot of reviewers made a comment about how small the band was...I noticed that when I opened them and thought...OMG I have a small head, but there's NO WAY I can put these on! Then I figured out how they adjust. For fun, I handed them to my husband who has a rather large head and told him to try them on. He told me I was crazy, then when I showed him how they work...which they pretty much self-adjust...he was very happy and is planning on buying some for himself...and yes, they fit him well, and they fit me too.

I can't believe the sound on these things! First, they do mask a good bit of the bus sound, though not all...that wouldn't be good anyway. If someone spoke to me and these let no other noise through, I'd be in trouble. The sound they produce is awesome. I've never had a pair of portable headphones that sound like these. I actually hear music, good music. They have decent bass, though nothing like what you'd find in a big pair of DJ headphones...but could you really wear those during your commute? I expected some tinniness, but that isn't present. They're also very clear, no noise that isn't supposed to be there.

When you look at them, or at least when I did, it looks like they're not that sturdy. It's been awhile since I saw quality headphones with a metal band. So at first I was very gentle with them. But after awhile, I realized I could do the same things with them as any other pair of folding headphones.

My one issue with these is the cord. Often I end up putting them away in a hurry, and when I do, that cable tangles up like spaghetti. Even if I take a few extra seconds to try to put them neatly in the pouch, they still end up a mess next time I pull them out. A single-cable design would have made them much better in that regard. As irritating as that can be sometimes, it doesn't take away a star...because these things are just amazing.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for something sturdy that sounds good and is pretty good at blocking loud noises, then these are for you.
on December 29, 2011
Discovered this by accident, was looking for a portable headphone comparable to beats solo and at
the same time will not break the bank. Enough said this is the best 30 bucks that i spend.Definitely
worth more than the price tag. If you want earth shattering bass this is for you. Only cons is there
are no volume control and mic like the beats.Highly recommended. Happy camper here!
on May 7, 2014
I wanted something smaller that was cheap enough to leave at work, without living in fear of their being stolen. The sound is decent, but I find them lacking a little bass. They're a little uncomfortable, and I'm not a fan of the metal band design. They are pretty small when collapsed, which is great for someone who wants this style headphone to carry them around - but they're still larger than I would want if just going out and about the town. They work, but I would look for something else, next time.
on March 17, 2013
Although the phones aren't as compact as I had hoped, the bass is great, earpads are snug and comfortable and for the price it can't be beat! Thanks Amazon!
on August 14, 2012
I just had my pair of these K404's arrive at my home after needing a portable headset to use while traveling from school to home. They aren't overly comfortable and at times the headband becomes un-adjusted from the position you set it in. They have an average sound quality which you would expect from a headphone of this size. Overall not too shabby, I look forward to hearing how these perform over the school-year. They appear to be rather durable and portable. so that's always a plus. If you're looking for a nice, portable set of on-ear headphones, I would recommend either these or the Koss Portapro as they fall roughly under the same price. Either way, I'm glad to have another set of AKG's in my grasps as I truly love their company's innovations in the world of music and design.
on February 24, 2016
Super stylish 80's look. Quality details including comfy ear pads and grey cord. Metal adjustment can get annoying sometimes to enlarge of shrink to head size, but better than plastic of flimsy wire. These should last a while good for the money and no frills in a good way.
on September 30, 2013
at $35.- that I paid and is asked for when I wrote this I find them to be 5 stars evaluated as commuter use headphones.
They sound good and suppress environmental noise quite well.
They fold to a compact size if/when needed. Folded they fit into a coat pocket.
They can be worn over a baseball/watch/army/drivers-cap etc..
I was surprised that they suppressed outside noise as well as they did. I believe they achieved that by getting the clamping power just right combined with just the right padding on the ear cups. I can wear them for extended periods without trouble but they do "clamp-on" quite firmly. I tried several headphones in the 50.- range and these did the best job overall - the only not-inside-the-ear-noise-insulating-phones that did better outside noise suppression where the muffs with build in speakers from the home depot. But on those the speaker's sound quality wasn't all that great: those were ok for books on tape and couldn't be worn over a cap - however, those were the only ones suppressing the rattling of the subway train wheels good enough to be able to listen to books-on-tape being able to understand everything at all time. The AKG's sound quite good and do a good job suppressing environmental noise but are not quite suppressing enough for the most noisy passages during the ride.
Well, maybe one can not expect that, the ride can be quite noisy at times. I still rate them at 5 stars as I find at 35.- they are just awesome and better than I had hoped. I find I got more than what the price would suggest (I do find these do a better job insulating than some in-the-ear-noise-insulating sets).
on February 2, 2014
A really good little item that shows AKG makes even their more inexpensive products very well. Compares favorably to the 701's that I own. Good fit, not much at blocking outside noise but a good value.