Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on October 4, 2011
Ok, I have had this phone for about 4 months now and figure I would write my first ever Amazon review about it. I bought it mainly because I am currently studying abroad in Australia and needed a sim card phone since I'm usually on Verizon when I am in the states. Anyways, here goes my review:

Talking:
Does everything you need it to do. Speakers are crisp and clean and I haven't had trouble hearing who I'm talking to. Neither has the person I'm talking to had trouble hearing what I've been saying as long as I have service. Clear call quality, and I guess that's all you can really say about it.

Texting/Keyboard:
Great QWERTY keyboard, but I figure that for people with big hands the buttons may be too small. They're perfectly fine for me but took like a week or so to get used to since I had a bigger QWERTY keyboard before, but for the small thin size of the phone, the QWERTY keyboard is definitely effective. The buttons are very tactile and reactive and I haven't had much trouble with it after a week of getting used to it. It can separate texts into conversations between people, rather than listing out the received/sent texts in the order they were received/sent. Usually its rare to find a feature like that in cheap phones and its definitely a plus. There is a dedicated text button on the front that makes getting to your inbox really simple. Overall, a great texting phone.

Internet:
It has a decent browser considering it isn't a typical smartphone. If you expect/want to browse and browse like on an iPhone or Android phone, this phone is not for you. I usually quickly use it to google locations or find quick answers to questions and its perfect for that.

Apps:
It has a small Nokia app store included and there are some good apps. Don't expect a large variety but there are simple apps like Facebook and Whatsapp that are definitely useful. With my plan I get unlimited social network usage, so Facebook doesn't eat up my data and it's perfect for being here in Australia because its like I can text friends back home using facebook messages. The facebook app does pretty most of anything you can do on the website and its simple to use. There are a few other apps like facebook chat, games etc. but I haven't used those quite extensively.

Battery Life:
This phone has the best battery life I've ever seen. The battery lasts for at least a week for me, and I'm texting quite a bit, going on facebook, listening to music, etc. No doubt better than most phones in terms of life length.

Music Player:
The phone has a built in micro SD card slot allowing you to upload photos/music to your phone. I haven't tried photos but I've filled a 16 gb micro SD card with music and I use this phone as my everyday music player. While the interface for the music player is somewhat slow, it plays music great. Unfortunately it doesn't have quick scrolling so when I want to find, for example, an artist that starts with "R" I have to scroll all the way down to R rather than being able to quick scroll, so with large music libraries that is my biggest complaint. The music playback seems better than my iPod though and the player is capable of displaying album artwork and the typical things like artist, album, song name and song length. You can also create playlists on the go. While not the best interface, its definitely usable and I've gotten used to it.

Menus/Operating System:
Nokia has created a simple menu system. The phone isn't the fastest so it takes a bit longer to get through menus compared to a higher end more expensive phone but I guess that is expected. Otherwise, everything is laid out sensibly and I haven't had much trouble navigating the settings, apps, texts and everything else.

Email:
Another great thing about this phone is that you can link multiple email accounts to it and get instant notification when you receive a new email. I was able to link 3 different email accounts to it within a matter of minutes.

Camera:
The camera is just a simplistic 0.3 Megapixel camera so you shouldn't expect great quality out of it. I don't take many pictures with it anyway, but if you're looking for a phone to replace your point and shoot camera, this phone is not for you. I'm not going to complain much about the camera anyways because for what I'm using it for I don't need a great camera.

Final thoughts:
For the $75 I paid for this phone, it definitely was worth it. Unfortunately one downside is that it does not include Wifi access but if you aren't a huge data user like me, its something you can live without. Its has great call quality, an effective QWERTY keyboard for texting, and if you are looking for a "simple" non-smart phone that borrows smart-phone features for a fraction of the cost its definitely a good choice. It would be perfect for just calling and texting, but has added features if you want a bit more.

Overall, its a great phone and I'd highly recommend it.
22 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2011
This phone is great for people who want an awesome, full-featured phone but don't have a 3G plan. I don't have one, and I just wanted a phone that would be good for texting people and playing music. The screen is nice and bright, and provides excellent visibility in sunlight. Since this phone is part of Nokia's "X" series, it has a lot of emphasis on the music playing aspect of mobile phone use. I must say, the media player is stellar. The sound quality is great, it supports many codecs, and there's even a 5 band custom equalizer (which, when tuned just right, can make this phone sound amazing). The phone only comes with 55 mb of onboard storage, the this is easily and cheaply expandable because it sports a MicroSD card slot. I picked up an 8GB micro sdhc card for twelve bucks on Amazon.com (Kingston 8 GB microSDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SDC4/8GB). This phone is unlocked so once you put your SIM card in, you're ready to go. I've had no problems with connections or anything, and the call quality seems great. The only two problems I have with it is that there's no Wi-Fi (however, most phones with wi-fi are smartphones, which most carriers require a data plan for), and that the buttons are kind of loud when they're pressed down. But overall, this phone totally deserves 5 stars, and it's comes with the classic Nokia quality that you'd expect. I would also recommend getting a case for it (Amzer AMZ90723 Silicone Skin Jelly Case for Nokia X2-01 - Black - Frustration-Free Packaging).
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2011
I bought the phone to seller "Amazon " and had no problem with the shipment.

It is an excellent option because the features it offers, the price-quality-properties is very good, for a person who requires a good phone backed by one of the best companies like Nokia it is best that you can find at this point. I love the QWERTY keyboard and the fact that it is a relatively new product launched in 2010.

The phone is fully unlocked, just inserted my SIM card and start using it without problems.

The only downside is it does not include the data cable (mini USB) for connection to PC, cable however is a very economical and surely we all have at home or work.

I am very satisfied with the product.
66 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2011
There are tons of phone options today but aside from blackberry, there seem to be fewer and fewer with qwerty keyboards and not many available in the under $100 range. If you are like me, then you don't want to invest in a $400 phone which may not last, may break, may get lost or stolen - which is what happened to my previous two phones (bought within the last year).
If you are looking for a basic blackberry kind of phone that has a qwerty keyboard for text and email w/ a decent calendar/appt/note taking software. This is your phone. In the under $100 range this is probably the best thing going on. The software is good. The speaker is solid. The keyboard works well and is easy to get used to. The keys are the right size. Its just a good all around basic phone. Much better quality than the samsung phones in the range like the gravity phones which are slower (processor wise), cannot run any independent apps, have annoying keyboards and mediocre calendars. I know because I had a couple of them. I had the gravity-t for a while. It was much slower and limited your number of saved texts, took a while to load email messages, had an annoying browser, mediocre speaker and was just mediocre on several other counts.
The only major flaw with this phone is the email which though claims to work with gmail, kept taking a long time to log into the account and then would not let you view the new messages. Also, the browser did not work. Those are big flaws but I found a great workaround. There is an independent gmail for mobile app available for download which can be used on this phone and is SUPERFAST. And I am using the Edge network. Not 3G or 4G bec T-mobile and I assume all other carriers don't allow unlocked phones to use their 3G/4G networks. The biggest issue with speed as far as phones go, it seems to me, is well written software which doesn't require tons of bits or processing power to carry out. Also, the opera mobile version which is also superfast and excellent as a phone browser, downloaded, installed and was running in mins. The fact that this phone can run these apps so smoothly puts it in the smartphone category and makes it a great buy at $80.
on December 1, 2011
This is one of the cheapest unlocked phones I could find on Amazon, and it's worth much more than $90. I'm currently using this phone on the AT&T in the US, and to be honest, the service is slightly better than my old Samsung phone.

MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING WORKS ON AT&T. It took some setting up, and the people at the AT&T store were absolutely unhelpful, but just google how to set it up on this phone, and once you find the recommended settings, it just takes some looking around through various menus in the phone in both the phone/connectivity settings and the messaging settings to find where to enter the right info. There's no one menu for all the multimedia messaging settings you need, but keep looking and fiddling around, and you'll figure it out.

The phone itself is pretty fast and I don't have any complaints about the software. The conversations feature with messaging is also incredibly useful.

Overall, for the price, this is one of the better phones I've seen that doesn't require a smartphone plan, and it looks great too. If you need a cheap phone without a contract, this is one of the better options out there.
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
I bought this phone because it has a qwerty keyboard, fast 2G internet capability, and is quad-band for use abroad. Thus far it works for calling and sending text messages here in the states using a $3 Simple Mobile sim activation kit and $25 15 day talk and text plan. Simple Mobile piggybacks off of T-Mobile's network.

I will try to update this review if it works abroad.

UPDATE 2011-DEC-19
I have also successfully used this quad-band GSM phone with Kenya's Safaricom (global texting (SMS); global MMS; all the Nokia features were enabled such as Google Talk; Gmail; Twitter; Facebook).

I have also successfully used this quad-band GSM phone with Nepal's NCell (most of the Nokia features are not enabled; however global and local SMS works fine).
44 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
I'm no gadget girl and I'm proud of that, but I do appreciate technology that truly "makes ordinary tasks easier". I just wanted 3 things: a good quality reliable PHONE that I could make and receive calls on - I know, right? a qwerty keyboard for texting and quality mp3/music function. That's IT - And this phone delivers all 3 beautifully. I received it on time, in excellent condition, and pretty much just stuck my sim card and memory card in and was off and running. Even the I-phone freaks in my family are fans! What more can I say? I would absolutely recommend this product.
on September 15, 2011
Excellent basic phone. Excellent reception, call quality and battery life. It's a steal at this price. It has good looks even though it may not look so good in the picture.

This phone is a quadband phone which means you can use it across the globe. The fact it doesn't have 3g is not a problem for calling or receiving. The call clarity or reception don't decrease because of that. The keyboard is awesome. We have a Nokia E5, but when compared to that, this phone's keyboard is far better and the phone itself is very sturdy and gives a good feeling when holding to your ears (you might have noticed that some phones really don't feel well near the ears).

We have an Android touchphone too. Touching, sliding and tapping to receive calls or dial call is a pain. It's a shame that this whole world is bent on features forgetting the basic functionality of the phone which is calling and receiving calls. It's so disappointing there are not many non-smart phones with good reception and call quality. And there are fewer flip phone with those qualities.

Added in June 2012:
This phone is going steady. We have two phones and one is being used by my teenage son. He has dropped it at least twenty times in front of me (imagine how many times he would have dropped when I was not there!), but it continues to work without any issues. He has a hard cover for the phone but most of the times when he dropped it, the cover, battery cover and battery will fall apart. But it will always work after putting them together. Once he lost it while walking on the footpath when it was snowing and got it only after a couple of hours. I immediately switched it off, removed the battery and let it dry for a day. And it worked again! I hope and pray Nokia will continue to manufacture good quality dumb phones like this.
on October 16, 2011
I messed up my android recently, and I started using an old flip-phone with the painfully ancient T9 function. After about 2 months of agony, I ran to Wal-Mart to look for a decent "pay as you go phone". What's nice about T-Mobile's "pay as you go's", I can simply place my sim card in it and use it regularly. All I was really looking for was a qwerty board. I can take T9 anymore. I saw the Nokia X2. It didn't seem to feature much, but it had a qwerty. I bought it with really low expectations. Boy, was I wrong about this phone. The battery life is amazing. I literally charged the phone on Monday and didn't recharge again until 6 days later!!! After adding the data plan to my phone, I am now able to access my work e-mails! For some reason my "almighty" android phone couldn't do that. It doesn't have 3G, but honestly I really don't miss it. The web browser and graphics are somewhat basic, which allow for faster web surfing.If you don't buy the phone expecting it to be an I-Phone or Droid, you will be pleased. One thing that would have made this perfect, would be a basic GPS function. With that, I would buy no other phone.
on May 2, 2011
I'm extremely please with this phone, i live in Barbados and wasn't sure it wouldv'e worked. As soon as i put the SIM card, it worked. LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV it!