Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Color: Violet|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

This is my first review of anything on Amazon.com, and figured that given my previous experiences with Sony, as well as other "high-end" earbuds like Monster and Klipsch that I'd share my two cents about my experience with the Sony DREX12iP earbuds.

First off the Pros:

These are lightweight earbuds, so you won't feel like you have mini weights in your ears (thats what the Monster iBeats feel like when I use them)which means they are great for things like the gym. The iPod controls work as they are supposed to on iOS 4.3.2. and are easy to get to. The silicone hybrid buds do a great job a providing comfort and sound distribution. The sound was clear and I could hear a lot of the little intricacies of the songs I was listening to. usually when you get a cheap earbud, the music suffers but I didn't experience that with these. For the $28 or so that I paid for these I don't feel like they were "cheap" sounding, nor that I bought a piece of junk or something that was over-hyped.

Now for some cons:

I'll admit that when it comes to bass these could do better. You definitely won't get the level of "thump" that Beats by Dr. Dre provide, and I know that I personally feel like my Klipsch S4i's have just the right amount of thump and bass in general, BUT... These Sony's do have bass. I would say that it's just more evenly distributed with the rest of the sound, so you'll know it's there, it just won't have the "thump" you might expect, but still these sound great!

If you're on a tight budget, or just don't want to spend an absurd amount of money for headphones and don't need Bass that can shatter eardrums, then these are an excellent choice!

Thanks for reading!
11 comment| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2012
When our previous pair of Sony headphones broke we decided to give this type a shot. They sound just as nice and work well, very comfortable ear fitting. They are very comfortable and with the several sizes of ear cups one size will fit you very nicely. I use the larger size, my wife uses the smaller and we are both very happy. Unlike the Apple ear buds, these do not hurt even after an hour of being in your ear. The bonus is that they sound great too. We use these on our bike rides and leave them in the entire ride.

One negative to these is that on the pair we bought, the microphone has a slight rattle when on phone calls. It sounds like the little buttons in the microphone piece for + and - volume is actually rattling and the mic picks it up as a static type of noise. If you sit still at a desk for example it isn't a problem but using the mic on our pair causes this noise. Since we primarily use these for listening to music and only occasionally for calls this is ok, but not preferred. We hope these last as long as out last pair did (over a year of hard use).

3 stars, very comfy nice ear buds, but the microphone issue keeps them from rating higher
on October 9, 2012
First, I can't stand the earbuds that Apple sends with their products. They hurt my ears like no other. So I set out to find some earbuds that were small enough that I could wear for hours at a time. These earphones actually ship with two sizes of rubber ear pieces so you can pick your best size. There's also a distinct right and left side which helps them fit.

I went around to physical stores like Best Buy and others so I could see the size of the buds (and general quality) and I narrowed it down to these ones. Once I bought them, I could not believe how awesome the sound quality is for puny little earbuds, it's seriously great!

I love that there's a mute button, volume, skip song, etc. buttons on the cord which is handy.

I love that they are super affordable. I've recommended these headphones to 5 co-workers (who bought them and love them) and bought a pair for my boyfriend. These are fantastic!
on October 8, 2013
In regards to sound, I'm a little bit of an audiophile so I might be more sensitive to sound than a lot of people, but I think most people would likely agree with me on this. I felt that the audio focused too much on the highs (sometimes hurting my ears) and hardly had any bass. I'm not one of those people who listens to music with so much bass that your head is about to explode, but I like having a warm bass to give life to music. These headphones hardly have any. I also have the biggest earbud size in so I don't think that having too small a size in is the problem. On another note (no pun intended) they don't break up when they get loud, but I only listen to music at around 50-60% volume. Music wise, I give these earphones a 2/5

I realize that these earphones say they are compatible with Apple devices, and don't mention Android. I have an android, so I can't say much about the buttons.) The volume ones didn't respond on my device though the play/pause/next song button did. Again though, I have Android so I won't judge that. What did dissapoint me was that the mic didn't work! I payed an extra 12 bucks over the basic earphones so that I could have the mic to use in phone calls. The fact that the mic doesn't work is really what upsets me the most. I have had other earphones made for apple that had working mics, and I feel like this one should be working as well. Overall, I wouldn't get this product again if it was me, there are too many other choices out there that I am sure are better.
on February 6, 2014
I buy headphones a lot, because I use them for work, driving, and recording so I have a lot of experiencing buying cheap to really expensive headphones. I needed a decent pair of headphone for my job, something I can listen to music and answer phone calls. Got this pair, decent reviews decent price. Left ear stopped working within four days! I have never taken the time to write a bad review before but I am really pissed. The $6 headphone I buy at Walgreens lasted better than this POS, I mean the sound was pretty bad too. I am not a huge fan of SkullCandy but they are around the same price, lasted longer with better sound. There maybe 80 reviews giving 5 stars, but take it from someone who buys roughly 10 headphone a year for different things, these suck and dont waste your money.
on June 4, 2014
I purchased these Sony DREX12IP/BLU earbuds as part of my fiancee's birthday gift. The earbuds are cute and colorful, made by Sony, and have great reviews..I'm sorry to say, I cannot recommend these earbuds to ANYONE. When he opened them he loved the look and the make, but tried with his new phone to call his mom. It was horrible!!! The sound cut in and out, the sound was tinny, she hear him but he couldn't hear her.. I had to admit that they were $20 earbuds, so probably not the best quality.

Maybe there is a loose wire? Even though he is great at repairs, I'd rather not give him another project.
What a disappointment on his birthday!! To top it off, the return window for this product is very short, so by the time I gifted it to him, it was too late to return.

So so disappointed and embarrassed because the earbuds were a gift! Please heed this warning and choose another earbud to purchase!
on March 17, 2016
I love these earbuds. The sound quality is superb and they are completely noise cancelling. I can't hear a thing when I have them on. I love apple products but I am completely baffled by the awful earbuds that come with the iphone and ipod. They are so uncomfortable and really impossible to fit in my ears, I can't believe anyone uses them. These are so comfortable and I love that they come with three different size buds for custom fit. Lastly, these are the first earbuds I have had with the volume control and I will never buy a set without it again. It is so convenient to be able to adjust the volume! Love it!
on July 15, 2015
UPDATE: Almost exactly one year after I got them, the left ear went out entirely.
Original review: I've had these for almost a year and I like them a lot for what I need. The sound is decent, they're comfortable enough for the commute or the gym, and unlike a lot of fancier earbuds, they actually last. They aren't comfortable enough to wear for many hours if you have tiny ear canals like I do, but they're much, much better than the Apple buds. The controller works great with my iPhone. I am getting a new pair of earbuds with foam cushions to wear at work since I have them in for many hours at a time and these do get a little uncomfortable by that time. The sound quality is adequate for casual use, but if you're an audiophile expecting a perfect seal or deep ranges, these may not be for you. If you value durability and comfort, these are great.
on October 23, 2014
I like them a lot!
They work perfectly with my MAC - Volume/pause/play.
My galaxy only the pause and play work.. Not sure if that's every galaxy or if mines special (Not sure why mine would be special), but not too torn up about it.
The sound quality seemed on par or better than average. I've had a lot of headphones and they sound great.
I didn't like the stock buds they came with but I just pulled out my junk drawer until I found ones that I liked better.
They came with 3 size selections however size wasn't the issue for me.. Just something about the design of that type - Too firm maybe? The ones I replaced them with are a little softer, and more flexible but less sound proof.
The mic seems to work well, I haven't had any issues as of yet.
Over all though great price, great sound. Changing out the buds was simple and I did wish the volume control worked on my phone but not gonna cry about that.
on October 29, 2014
These are really quite nice. They come with several different ear pieces so they fit exactly how I want them to, and are very comfortable. I also liked that they cord on these seems just a bit longer than the average headphones i've had, which is great when i'm working out, or cutting the grass as it gives me that added freedom of movement you sometimes need.

They sound great like I would expect from anything Sony, and the remote also works very well. Functions as expected while on the phone, and when listening to music a quick "double click" on the down volume button will skip to the next song.

Overall, I would definitely suggest them.