Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony BDVE280 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 26, 2011
I live in a small studio apartment. The living space portion of my apt where I have this set up is about 12x20. Obviously in this small space this system is fantastic. I didn't so much want a surround system for loudness but for the surround sound effects. Everything sounds great and crystal clear once everything is on the proper settings. I only put the volume no more than half way and it's more than enough to fill the room. I worry about complaining neighbors so I set the sub woofer to it's lowest setting, yet it still gives a decent rumble that doesn't bother anyone.

My complaints. Only has one usb slot in the back mainly used to connect ipod dock. Apparently has no internal memory for blu ray data(blu rays work fine so far without it). You would have to connect a usb flash if you want the memory(in the ONE usb slot available). And no built in wifi. You would have to get a separate wifi dongle sold by Sony for like 79.99(and once again attach it to the ONE usb slot available.)

Simple solutions, just use the ethernet cable instead of wireless. And buy a cheap usb splitter so you can add usb flash and ipod dock at the same time.

It may not be a great choice for larger rooms or houses but if you live in a dorm, studio, or bedroom this is a great choice.
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
Bought this item as a black friday deal. We needed a new sound system and like the sony brand. Set up was a breeze. Sound quality is alright. Not as good as our old system, but it will do. Don't like the speaker wiring. You can't lengthen it because wiring is attached to speaker. Also, after a month of use, the blu ray player will not open. You have to unplug the entire system from the wall outlet for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, it opens up fine. I suppose this is just a quirk they have not fixed, but know about since it was in the owners manual under trouble shooting.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2011
I am not sure why there are any negative reviews for this. Ok it has no built in Wi-fi. So....you only paid like 200 bucks! Plug in a Ethernet cable and move on! Great sound! Picture quality is amazing. Easy to set up. I just had neck surgery and was able to do this myself. Someone also complained about speaker wire length. Why? The rear speakers have like 30 feet of wire! My room is 16x22 and the tv and speakers are on opposite sides long ways and I have extra cable!

so, easy to set up. Looks great! Sounds great! Easy to use! Great price! You can't ask for much more. Even the wife was happy!
on September 18, 2011
I have no idea what most of you are reviewing but I bought the Sony Blu Ray 3D DVD player to add on to my new Mitsubishi 65 inch 3D TV and I love it. It took me no time to get the wifi working and downloading movies QUICKLY. Radio stations work great on the Sony. I'm confused about the bad reviews and only wrote this because of what I was reading.
on May 18, 2011
Recent purchase. Have had a sony home theater before and this system pretty much meets the expectations. Areas of concern are noted below:

- Length of speaker cables are less than required (especially for the center and sub woofer). I needed a longer cable since i use a projector and not a TV screen
- Yet to find a file format that can be played using the USB connect (does not seem to read any itunes/ mp3 formats)
- An additional wifi access point is required to connect to internet. Sony should have included in-built Wifi or a ethernet port
55 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2011
This is a great Home Theater System. The reason I chose this system over something cheaper is that the included receiver has HDMI inputs and supports HDMI passthrough. This is huge to me. I plugged my laptop and my XBOX 360 into both HDMI inputs on the receiver and I get surround sound from both. The sound quality is pretty good. I wasn't expecting an ultra high end sound but is sounds pretty good. The subwoofer can be a little weak unless you find the right place the put it in your room. I love the built in apps too. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube. This Home Theater System essentially turns your TV into a much more expensive Smart TV with Apps.

Pros: Great Sound quality
Excellent Sony Product Quality.
Blu-Ray player.
Supports 3D.
Netflix, Hulu, Youtube & more
2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output. (Much better than systems with only 1 HDMI output and ARC. Other systems expect your HDTV to support Audio Return Channel or HDMI 1.4. This means that your
Home Theater can output Video to the TV, while the TV can output sound back to the receiver. However, IF YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT ARC, then you're out of luck with other
receivers. Not the case with this system though.

Cons: Subwoofer could be stronger.
Cables could be a little longer. However, for my 15x10 bedroom, I had extra wire.

Overall, there are cheaper alternatives to this home theater BUT IF YOU WANT HDMI INPUTS, this system is the best option. You wont be disappointed with the quality of this system.
review image review image
on November 29, 2011
After reading some reviews, I was worried that this little package would not be sufficient to provide sound for our greatroom, which measures 21' x 24' and has an open 2-story ceiling. When I contacted Sony, they said it would be fine - and it is. That tiny subwoofer provides more than enough bass to vibrate furniture. We paired this package with a Sony 55" NX720, and the combination is fantastic. Also, having the Ipod dock is another huge plus for piping music throughout during dinner parties. Great purchase!
on August 14, 2011
Item was delivered within in several days. The sound system is great. We bought this for our bedroom & it was a good price for a Sony. Would recommend
on December 20, 2011
The HDMI input from FIOS has a progressive sound lag. After a while it can be several seconds behind. This is not to be confused with picture processing AV/Sync timing as that is when the picture lags the sound.
The internet video streaming from the various sources is nice. The sound is awesome. The bluray works great! Sounds great!
Sony support has been great! I have sent the unit to SONY for them to look at it. Beware that they will want all components shipped to them for warranty. Since the speakers are installed and the wiring is within the walls, I refused to do that. We shall see what they do...

Second time through sony repair and they gave it a clean bill of health and it "meets spec" which means that their spec is a POS spec. IT DOES NOT WORK. SONY TURNS A BLIND EYE!!!!!
88 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
I just purchased this item and I love it! It was easy to install, and gets a great picture. I run my DirectTv satellite box through it to my Sony TV using the HDMI jack, and the picture is actually better than it was before.

The only slight issue I had installing it was that the speaker wires weren't long enough for where I had to run them. I spliced in a little extra wire, and everything works fine. The remote is easy to use and intuitive. Don't even need to use my Harmony remote any more.

The only other issue is that NetFlix sometimes has to stop and update during a movie. My old Vizio DVD didn't do that, but I don't know if it might not be because the Sony is displaying higher resolution. Overall, this is a great unit for the price.