on April 15, 2012
This printer is the most (or among the most) affordable multi-function laser printers with automatic duplexing to acquire. (The Canon D420 is a direct competitor with very similar features.) It isn't too expensive to operate either, particularly if you activate the toner saving feature (which still provides very good quality) and if you decide to use non-OEM consumables. I like its space-saving no-nonsense design. Even with A4 paper the paper tray doesn't protrude from the unit. It's also not too heavy, and the grab handles are well placed, so it's easy to move around though still quite stable on a desk or table.

The one missing feature that I'd really like to have is built-in WiFi -- if only Brother made a DCP-7060DW model. However, the DCP-7060D does work wirelessly (for printing but not scanning) if you plug it into an Apple AirPort Express wireless hub or into some other USB-to-wireless adapter. Linux support is available, along with Mac and Windows. Sadly, printing from an iPad or iPhone apparently requires third party software and might also require the involvement of a PC or Mac to act as a print server. (It would be nice if Brother could rectify that.) I like the omission of an automatic document feeder, which takes up more space and which isn't something I use very often. I haven't been able to figure out how to permanently set duplex mode when copying. (It doesn't seem possible, so that's something you might have to set before you start copying.)

The scanner cover seems a bit wobbly in its attachments, although I can't decide if that's a feature or a bug. It doesn't seem to be a problem, and perhaps a little bit of "play" is good if somebody decides to smash the cover onto a thick book while scanning or copying.
on June 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
My mom needed a new printer/scanner. I researched and came up with a few possibilities, and this one got the nod.

Her typical use is on the order of 95% "copy machine" 4% computer printer, and 1% scanner. (Scanning is almost always with help over screen share.)

This machine is difficult to find in brick & mortar stores. We called them all in her area with no luck... and as there was really no rush, she ordered with the free shipping option... and the machine arrived in about a week. It shipped from the Phoenix area.

I helped her set it up via long distance screen share (she's in PA, I'm in CA). I downloaded a copy of the manuals off Brothers web site so I could better "play along". Set up went smoothly with no significant hang up's.

She's a Mac 10.7 user, and we discovered no software installation was really necessary. Her Mac already had all the necessary printer drivers, and Apples stock "Image Capture" application nicely handels all the scanner needs. Used as a "copy machine" the machine works independently

She reported it prints and copies beautifully... the print dialog box looked complete and straight forward. We did some scans, and they looked great as well. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the scanner uses LED's as it's illumination source as there was almost zero 'warm up' time required.

She said printing was a little noisy but reasonable... and it's unlit display & control panel are both straight forward.

Yes, a long distance review, hope it's helpful. I won't even go into her last inkjet printer/scanner that took days to set up, and after that she was never happy or comfortable with.

Myself, I have a separate scanner, and Brother HL-2140 stand alone laser printer, of which I'm also very pleased.
on February 11, 2012
Despite Other reviews, the only two negatives I found were that it's rather noisy, and it makes an unsettling rattle when pulling a page back in to print on the back for duplex printing. But so far it's worked fine so I assume that the rattle is normal.

Otherwise: Maybe Brother has changed the scanner cover, but mine lifts almost a full 90 degrees. Settings in the menus, like Toner Saver, Sleep Time, etc, are easy to find, even if you don't read any documentation before using it. Ditto for most functions from within Windows.

Two small nits to pick: The display could use a backlight, and the paper drawer would benefit from an external paper stack indicator.

The manufacturer's toner refills are expensive, but so is toner for all laser printers I've seen, to the point where some cost almost as much as the printer.
on February 13, 2013
Verified Purchase
I got a great price on this through amazon and of course the free 2 day shipping was great as usual. This printer is very simple and your regular run of the mill laser printer. This has a scan function and a copy function. That is pretty much it. You can't fax or anything else. But thats what is so great about it , it is simple. Just push one button to scan and one button to print. There is less chance of stuff breaking since it is so simple which I like.
on March 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
This printer is easy to use, change toner, paper load etc., and produces crisp results in fast time. So happy I switch from inkjets.
on April 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
Prints fine, is compact with tight footprint, looks better than many. Price excellent, especially for duplex. (Note this is a non-network model).

But imagine what a printer made out legos and lego gears might sound like. Put it in a echo-y plastic box. My dog, who likes to lie under the desk, highly disapproves.

I've explained to him that when he goes and gets a job we can buy an equivalent less noisy but substantially more expensive printer.
on February 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
The Brother printer works well and we have not had any trouble with it. However, it is very difficult to see the message in the tiny box describing the various directions that the printer will perform. It is so dark, that we have to have a lamp nearby in order to read it. Why couldn't it have a back light so that the box is easier to read. It would also help if the cover over the glass plate would remain open so that you can position the paper or book without it falling over on your hand. Otherwise, we are satisfied with the Brother.I am also hoping that the toner replacement is easy to install.
on July 18, 2012
I got this on december 2011. Its my second Brothers printer which I had no problems with for over 5 years. Win 7 put it down.

Downside: Cannot share from an xp workstation to vista or win 7. Brother says to talk to microsoft-- sure was helpful.

Upside: everything else. I just ran out of the supplied 700 page toner (600 DPI). I got a Brothers 450 toner (OEM) for 2400 pages. I figure the printer will last at least 3 yrs so the 450 toner is worth it.
on July 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
I don't normally take the time to write reviews, but I love this printer, so I thought I would write something!

I have a MacBook Pro (running OSX 10.7), and the drivers included on the installation disc didn't go up that high. I ended up spending an hour online trying to find the right drivers (1 for the printer, 1 for the scanner), installing it, then rebooting the computer a few times for it to finally work.

But, when it did, I was so happy.

I use it every day for work (I work from home). It's super fast. Once it's all connected, it takes 30 seconds to scan something and have it appear on your screen. And in terms of printing, I seriously just hit the print button, stand up and walk over to it, and my document is there. So fast.

It's not very noisy (my infant son sleeps in the next room and has never woken up when I use it). I wish it had WIFI and I wish it wasn't so heavy, but other than that, I love this thing. Especially when you consider the price. I shopped around for a few models, but I love this one.
on February 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
Super useful and easy to set up. It's scanning abilities and straightforward instructions make it really nice to use. I got it for college just in case I couldn't use the on-campus printers and it's come in handy over and over again. I totally recommend it if you have the funds. It's really sturdy and I haven't had issues with it yet. I got it more than a year ago and still haven't had to replace the ink.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations