VINE VOICEon January 26, 2011
(I would expect someone investigating purchasing a cell phone would do some price comparison, $700 for this phone is a bit steep.)

The Nexus S is an interesting phone. It is the sequel to Google and HTC's Nexus One (incorrectly regarded as a flop) and like the iPhone 4 it sets the bar for the current generation of smart phones.
I bought this phone on its release day, so I am very familiar with what it can do. I came from using a Nokia N900 Unlocked Phone/Mobile Computer with 3.5-Inch Touchscreen, QWERTY, 5 MP Camera, Maemo Browser, 32 GB--U.S. Version with Full Warranty which was another great unlocked phone. But this year alone has seen a lot of improvements in what phones can do.
The Nexus S, made by Samsung, is a gorgeous gadget. It is a little underwhelming in person, glossy all-black, but its a sleak package and it has some definite power under the hood. The 1GHz Hummingbird processor absolutely blows through apps, I have not experienced anything I would consider lag. I've encountered latency and bad apps, but those are not the phone's fault. The Gingerbread version of Android is a real stunner. I still read about issues with 2.2 (Froyo) and just have to shrug because this phone does very well with every app i've installed.
The camera(s) and other features function very well. The optics of this camera are not all that impressive, but the software behind the camera works very well and even resource hungry apps like Photoshop Express function very nicely on the Nexus S. As for displaying those pictures, this is one of the most beautiful displays on any phone. The "contour" glass is curved just enough to be comfortable when held up to your ear, and it separates it from all the "slabs". The glass coating is wonderful to touch and fingerprints wipe off without a lot of smearing.

One of the big gripes I've heard since this phone was announced was that it lacked an SD card. I was nervous stepping down to a 16GB phone after having 32GB plus an SD card slot on the n900, but now I do not miss it. The streaming apps (youtube, last.fm) do a great job of keeping me entertained and I've gotten quite good at plugging in to my computer every so often to move media onto and off of the device. An interesting thing to note: The 16GB is partitioned similar to a phone with SD card, So you have about 2GB of "root" space- where the apps and actual Android OS stay, and then the 14GB "SD" partition that will be unmounted when you connect your phone to a computer (if that didn't make sense to you, don't worry). You can move apps onto the "SD" partition. In short, I have not missed having a huge hard drive on this thing.

The other gripe is "No 4G" and this one is more of a "religious debate". We are only seeing the tip of 4G. Every carrier claims to have 4G service, but that's a debatable statement. Its pretty clear that carriers didn't even roll out 3G as much as they could have, so really we're waiting for proper high speed connection of any sort in most areas of the country. If you are one of the fortunate few who lives in 4G land, and you KNOW that you need extreme speeds NOW (and you won't travel anywhere, because then you're back to 3G or EDGE pretty quick) then this is not the phone for you. For the majority of people, 3G speeds are quite adequate for the majority of applications (both software and usage) that people will use, the phone is also 802.11 b/g/n compatible, so using wifi will improve your experience over many 4G connections. Consider also that you get tethering for free with this phone (a very nice feature that makes any Wifi device far more mobile so long as you have your Nexus S with you).

Now on to the Nexus S's unlocked status. Is it expensive to buy a phone without a contract? of course, you are only paying for the phone once. If you do the math it is cheaper in the long run (and you have more freedom) if you buy your phone and choose your carrier. Also take into consideration that Google will send the Nexus S Android updates before any other phone on any carrier gets them in the US. This shortcuts all the "fractured" issues with different manufacturers and carriers limiting your access to the latest Android software. This phone's usability will be extended because of it. There is no carrier in the way who will want you to upgrade to get the next batch of features for Android, instead you're plugged directly (or more directly) to the source. That is a big advantage.

UPDATE: Having now used this phone daily for a few months, I am still very pleased. The main comment complement I get when people notice the screen and just how good videos look on it (even rather low quality youtube videos). Having Gingerbread on here is a real treat (ha ha). Its a shame I can't recommend certain apps (like Google's Navigation or certain widget functionality) since its running a version of Android that isn't available to my other 'Droid brethren and I feel like a snob explaining how this is practically the only phone with the latest OS.

About the only thing I miss on this phone is an LED to indicate incoming messages when the screen is off. And I have noticed a weird quirk where the phone will randomly reboot itself. This is a known glitch that should be resolved with the next update to Gingerbread (2.3.3).
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 21, 2011
There are many sites which display the model number as i9020 and ship i9023 instead.i9023 is a cheaper model(almost 100$ less) without the Super AMOLED screen which is the best feature of this phone according to me as the processor speed,RAM capacity are not as good as some of the latest dual core phones and this phone has a below average battery which lasts for only one day.I was expecting Amazon to be truthful to the customers and mention the display type in the product description.As the other clever websites,they also chose to misguide the customers by not including that part of the spec in the item description.Try calling the customer care and confirming about this item,you will receive only vague answers.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2011
I bought it just 2 weeks ago.

I bought it especially for its Super AMOLED screen.
But you should know that before buying:
There is actually 2 kinds of Nexus S:
i9020 (i9020a i9020t) and i9023

i9023 is the european version or non-USA/UK version. It has S-LCD screen. Worse colors, worse black.
google it and check example photos (I found some on flickr)
Super LCD variant is unable to display black color, it's just dark grey. More vivid colors are provided by Super AMOLED screen of i9020 variant.

As far as I know, this is the only difference. If you want to root your phone, it is important again.

Apart that,
This is another perfect phone by Google (despite Samsung).
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2011
I'm surprised to see so many bad reviews. this phone is great, purchased it brand new directly from amazon and very impressed.

PLEASE NOTE: unlocked phones still have different models

I9020T - T-mobile, any GSM network, 3G might not work (AT&T customers will have "edge" only data connection)

I9020A - AT&T, any GSM network, 3G might not work (T-mobile customers buy I9020T, otherwise "edge" only for data)

people on Verizon, Sprint etc. - you have your own models, please check with your carrier before buying any unlocked devices.

ATTENTION: Amazon sells I9020T (08/08/2011), and as AT&T customer, I have to return it, because no 3G. some reviewers mentioned that Amazon sells right model for AT&T - so, you know now, it's not the case (at least it wasn't for me).
on May 15, 2011
I have been using a iPhone 4 for past year and iPhone 3G since 2008. I got tired of looking at icons and icons of apps and no homescreen. So thought I will give it a try with a android phone.

I have always heard been bad things about android phone battery life, and they were true in many cases which kept me away from any android phones.

Recently at the current job I had to use android phone and this is the phone I purchased. I got it from the local store and it was unlocked when I purchased it.

This is really nice phone and I like it better than iPhone 4.

Reasons why I like it.
1. Customization.
2. Better or at par with iPhone 4's battery life.
3. Lot of applications.
4. Nice to hold and feels solid.
5. Homescreen
6. As a developer, I don't have to pay a dime to anyone to write and install my own software (before I publish it)
7. Finger print proof.
8. Sleek design.
9. Lighter than iPhone 4
on October 1, 2011
This is a great phone all around. I pretty much agree with the higher rated reviews so no need to reiterate it.

BUT! HUGE NOTE! I wanted to add this review to inform those of the model differences. The phones are the exact same minus the wireless bands inside. Even though Amazon lists this as the i9020T... they actually sent me an i9020A. I had to return it. Amazon sold it to me, not a third party seller so if Amazon does have it back in stock, be aware. The A version supports wireless 3G bands for AT&T. The T version supports wireless 3G bands for T-Mobile. Now regardless of whichever version you get, you'll be able to get internet speeds at 2G/EDGE. But if you're on T-Mobile and get the A version, you won't be able to get 3G on their network. And vice versa for AT&T. Just wanted to make you all aware.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2011
Two things need to be mentioned. First is about its status when I received it. It's definitely opened and used a little bit. The sealing label has been removed ever and the box was re-sealed by some other operator. And there were several fingerprints on the phone. The second thing is the product name should be Samsung I9023T as written on the battery slot of the phone.
Needless to say, the Google Nexus S phone is a great phone and I really like the Gingerbread OS, but it made me feel cheated on the "new" status. Do Amazon even NOT garantee the real product status?
on May 19, 2011
Was excited to see this listed on Amazon. I bought it as soon as I saw it. Coming from an Atrix 4g. The first thing I noticed is, while 3g lights up, on AT&T the speeds are laughable. I'm talking 200 - 400 kbs download on 3g, 100 kbs upload. Very poor. I quadruple checked everything was correct...new SIM, correct plan (had AT&T change me away from 4g plan) and correct APN settings. Nothing worked. I went to an AT&T store and the clerk was nice enough to help me with this phone, even though it's intended for the Canadian market (no US warranty). He triple checked everything and speedtests continued to show ~400 kbs data speeds. Ridiculous.

I'm very close to returning this phone as, while the 3g light illuminates, it's so slow and takes forever to download a simple app from the appstore. Streaming media (radio / slingbox) forget it.

I really want to like it but there is clearly something wrong with my plan or the phone itself. I don't know how to get good speeds. Oh, I'm on 2.3.4 also. No dice, still slow.

***June 18, 2011 edit:***

Well, I tried again. I ordered the Nexus S to give it another shot (perhaps my first was defective?). Amazon's product listing clearly states the model being sold is the I9020A, which is compatible with US AT&T bands. I purchased from TRD Trading and guess what arrived? The I9023 version (SLCD) which was produced for the French market and only gets EDGE in the US. Also, it has no warranty despite the product listing saying "US Warranty." Amazon really screwed this listing up and sellers will get droves of returns (mine's going back today) if it continues to go unchecked. It's simple, really. There are three versions of the Nexus S, and it appears Amazon and it's resellers ship whatever version they so wish even though the listing says I9020A.

I9020T - intended for T-Mobile. Carries USA warranty.

I9020A - intended for Rogers in Canada and has the correct bands for USA AT&T 3g. No US warranty.

I9023 - intended for Europe. Will NOT work with AT&T 3g. No US warranty.

Amazon needs to clear this messy product listing up, ASAP.

PLEASE SEE MY PHOTOS ON THE PRODUCT LISTING FOR PROOF, THANKS.
review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2011
I've had this phone for more than 3 months now - moved up from Nexus One. The phone is really good:

Pros:
1) Faster processor. Clear difference visible in scrolling, animations etc
2) Good battery life. With all radios on (3G/Wifi + Bluetooth + Phone network), frequent refreshes to gmail/facebook/news gadget and automatic brighntess setting it easily lasts 1 day on normal usage.
3) Sturdy build. Though the back has a bit flex, it actually is very sturdy. Dropped mine many times on hard floors, a couple of slight scratches is what is has got.
4) Better Camera....still not very good though.
5) Bigger screen is much better

Cons:
1) No Notification light :(
2) Some Android bugs - screen unresponsiveness, Contact sync issue etc. They occur very rarely though!
on June 12, 2011
The Oem Shop sent me the wrong model - I bought the GT-I9023 and they sent GT-I9020T :-(
The order at Amazon the reception all the paper specifies GT-I9023, but the label inside say GT-I9020T.
It's took me two weeks to get the phone (to Israel) and to find out (with help of my operator), I got the wrong model.
I wrote Oem an Email - they just answer:

"Unfortunately, as per our company's return policy, the customer has
seven days from the day that they have received their item to request a
replacement or a refund. you have exceeded this time frame. I apologize
for this matter.

Keith Hunter
Customer Relationship Specialist
The Oem Shop
5620 1st Avenue 4th Floor
Brooklyn NY, 11220"

You better buy at other shop :-(
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...