Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on June 7, 2011
Bought this after much time spent searching for a simple solution to play media content from my PC on my big screen. I've thought about buying extenders such as the VeeBeam, which can also be used to clone the computer's display onto the big screen. The VeeBeam also has a "play to" feature by which one could send/play a video to the TV while using the computer's display for other tasks. The VeeBeam can also do HD resolutions, if their HD model is used.

That being said, the McTivia is a great concept, and works quite well, but has two fatal flaws. One is that it can not do full 1080p HD. The website mentions 720p but the max resolution it can use is 1280 x 720, which for me is "HD lite". Not bad, and better than DVD quality, which may be fine for most people.

The other flaw is the lack of a "play to" feature as found in the VeeBeam. In my case I have one PC, that does duty as a family PC and as a media source to stream stuff to my TV. I use DLNA to stream videos to my TV and am able to use the PC for other things at the same time. So my kids could be watching a movie while I'm checking emails.

Where I had envisioned using the MctTivia was to send content to my 2nd TV which is not DLNA capable. I can't use a VeeBeam as it requires line of sight between transmitter and receiver and has very limited range (this is its fatal flaw, imo).

The McTivia does not require line of sight as it works via ethernet or wi-fi and so would have been ideal if it had the "play to" feature and also was 1080p capable. That the McTivia does not require line of sight is a fantastic feature that distinguishes it from the rest of the media extender crowd.

Awind Mctivia

+ No line of sight required (allows flexibility)

- Only does 720p not the full 1080p that the Vee Beam does.
- No "play to" feature (just cloning - whats on the PC monitor is on the TV - thus you can't use the
PC for anything else while watching a video for example))
- lag between PC and TV. In my case a couple of seconds.

+ Capable of 1080p
+ has play to feature (can surf, email, etc.on the PC monitor, while playing a video on the TV)

- Requires line of sight between transmitter and receiver (limits placement of TV and PC) - biggest
drawback of this unit.

Awind, we want a Mctivia that can do 1080p HD and also a "play to" feature for maximum flexbility. Are you listening?
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
Over the years there have been a lot of devices that try to stream your content to your TV. Most, if not all, require extra wires and hookups. I have a laptop and I usually find myself plugging an HDMI cable into it and then into my TV to watch my content or use it as a monitor. It always sat on the floor or was shoved into a shelving space to sit. I needed something where I could just leave my laptop somewhere and not have to bring it back and forth. This is exactly what I was looking for. Set up does require some time to tinker with but works really well overall. There is a usb port on the back that allows me to hook up a mouse and keyboard that I can leave near my TV whenever I need to show off a few thing on the big screen. I've noticed that a wired connection is better for streaming full 1080p content but 720p works just fine over wifi. I'm enjoying the product so far, no real big complaints aside from the set up process.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2011
Even on an iMac with a 24" screen, my visually-impaired husband finds it difficult to view Web video, the only way that he's been able to see some of his favorite news shows since we don't subscribe to cable these days.

Now he can see clips on our 32" HDTV, as well as series episodes not available via Netflix or Hulu, that are elsewhere on the Web.

Setup is easier when you know that the network config on the Web management page won't show the actual IP. You can see the IP on the TV screen.

Though the McTivia can host a wireless network, we get better speed using our own router (Airport Extreme), which is connected to the McTivia via cable. The iMac connects to its usual wireless network, and we're good to go.

With the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8), before I upgraded to the latest version of Soundflower (the MccTivia app is packaged with an old version), the sound output from the TV occasionally lost itself. So if you're on a Mac and having sound problems, make sure you upgrade to the latest Soundflower.

We are only using for TV/movies, but there is definitely a lag between the PC and TV video streams, so I would plan on using a keyboard/mouse connected to the McTivia if you are doing gaming with it.
on December 27, 2011
I ordered many products but this is the best. I didn't have any problem with setup. I put the disk in, it told me what to do and all is well. I don't know if others followed the directions step by step, but I did, and didn't have any problems. The only thing I wish for this is that it was 1080p and I also wish you could minimize whatever you were watching and be able to use your computer while streaming video.
on October 11, 2011
Read about this product in Mac World where it received rave reviews. Finally picked one up to connect my Mac to the HDTV in living room, all wireless and the results have been terrific. Streaming TV and movie content with great results, to remote Web browsing while lounging in my favorite chair. Hardware set-up was simple and the latest software for Loin was available on there Web sight for download, did not use supplied disk. Loaded software from Web right-a-way. Soft ware set-up is quite simple, while having the McTiVia server enabled, locate and choose it in Air Port, launch the software and connect. I'm very pleased with this product.
on December 17, 2011
The McTivia hardware and software installed easily, as advertised.

I fired up the software and my laptop image did broadcast wirelessly to my television. I was disappointed with the quality of the image on my TV. The image on my laptop was clearly brighter than the image on my TV. The TV image was noticeably darker - like somebody cranked up the contrast. This is unsuitable for me, i am a video editor - i notice these things.

I also had to re-adjust my laptop screen resolution to make things work. This was in accordance with the instructions. But the instructions also said the McTivia software would return my screen to its former resolution when i quit the software. I quit the software and it didn't automatically return my screen size to the former setting. I had to reset my screen resolution manually.

These may not be a big deal to most people. I felt, for $179, i can't watch a noticeably darker image and have to mess with my screen resolution. For $25 I went back to a firewire cable linking my laptop and my TV. Perfecto.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2012
Product was a real disappointment, wish I had research it more before I purchased. Firstly the connection is tricky to set up (getting the resolution right). Took me well over an hour to get it on my TV properly. Secondly, and more importantly, the connection is terrible, constantly lagging or freezing and my laptop is only about 6 feet from the device. Very nice idea, but pointless until executed properly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
I have always wanted to connect to my desktop computer and watch favorite news and political analysis programs on the large TV monitor at a convenient time.

Since I do not have a recorder, McTivia Wireless PC to TV came in handy. With it I can locate and watch shows from network web sites when I please. Using a wireless keyboard and mouse, I can control all this remotely from the living room couch away from my computer.

I have been using McTivia with a home "g" Router (The manufacturer strongly recommends an "N" router). The picture is more than adequate for my purposes however it is of 720P resolution, as stated in the specifications. Do not expect 1080P results.

Although the owner's manual is endorsing use of an Ethernet cable or a power-line networking connection when possible for better results, I have tried both with no discernible improvement. Quite possibly I am doing something wrong so I intend to contact tech support for advice.

Ordered me an N Router from Amazon for this and for general home use. Since an Ethernet cable has not produced noticeable picture improvement I doubt that an N router will.

Again, a 720P picture is serving my needs more than adequately.

It is worth noting that there are 1080P-quality wireless PC to TV equipment available commercially. However, they have limitations: A maximum of 30' range, and must be in the line of sight between computer and receiver. Also, 1080P quality is not always attainable unless certain strict conditions are satisfied. Unfortunately, my floor plan will not allow for such an arrangement. This McTivia Wireless PC to TV can work even behind walls, which is terrific.
on February 10, 2012
I wanted a simple connection to my TV from my iMac to act as a simple media server. SCORE!

Just received today. Up and going in less than 15 minutes.

Installed software directly from the [...] site. Wanted freshest copy. No problems!

I set up the McTivia in the most basic mode - Totally wireless (no wired connection to my hub). Software connects Mac to McTivia easily, automatically switching to a lower resolution mode (1024x768 stretched I think). I found 1344x756 to work better for my combination of equipment.

You cannot connect to the internet directly in the totally wireless mode, but there is supposed to be an app that will allow this. I have not checked into that yet.

It is a bit of a pain to have your desktop scrambled when the resolution is reset .. but I have been thinking about cleaning it up anyway.

There are two connection modes, movie and application. I think the movie mode buffers more data for a smoother playback, but results in a couple seconds delay between the computer and the tv. This is no big deal if the goal was to watch a video. The application mode is supposed to reduce the latency, but I have not tested it.

Audio plays back through the hdmi cable so this part is easy as well.

I have previously tried a couple other methods of video playback like roku and a laptop through the VGA port, but this is the cleanest and simplest for me.

I don't know about 1080 capability, but it looks good to me.

Happy Day
on March 6, 2012
This is a great product!

Works well with my android phone/2 laptops using a projector to view the content.

It only lets you view what you have on your laptop monitor, there is no multiple view capabilities.
I can't watch a movie on the projector and work on school work on the laptop at the same time :(
But I knew of this when I bought it, so this is not a huge deal but worth mentioning.

After having completed connecting with Mctivia and moving on to other things, I have noticed that both of my laptops maintain the same screen resolution that was needed to run my projector through Mctivia. Kind of annoying to have to manually switch the resolution back to where you had it set at, before having connected to Mctivia.

All-in-all, Mctivia is a great idea!

This is a great idea to use out in the country with no neighbors around. I found out that even though my router is password protected, my mctivia lets people onto my network through it if they can connect to it. Not much in the way of password protected security on a wireless network but if you don't care that your neighbors can get onto your network for free, then this works for all other applications.