Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Upgraded my Verizon Wireless phone mid-2011 to the HTC Incredible 2 and had issues right away with lack of signal strength and volume... tried for a couple weeks but it just sucked, so I called VZW and they promptly sent a replacement.

The replacement has been fantastic. Easy to use, great virtual keyboard/touchscreen alignment, plenty of pages to store apps on, and excellent battery life. Battery life was initially nothing to write home about, but I'd used the Easy Battery Saver app before and installed it pronto -- now the battery lasts an average of 2 to 2 1/4 days (usage depending of course). Out of the box I was probably just barely getting through the day.

Prior to this phone I had a Motorola Droid 2, Droid, and an HTC Eris and I like the Incredible 2 the best of them all . The Droids were nice, but they were heavy and clunky. The Eris was nice until an Android software update essentially destroyed its virtual keyboard to touchscreen alignment.

This Incredible 2 is thin enough for me, lightweight compared to the others I had, and the screens are totally easy to use. Text is very simple, and email setup was a breeze. It works perfectly with Google Navigator and I have even lost my Garmin GPS having not used it since getting this phone.

How could it be better? Well, it does come preloaded with apps that you can't get rid of like Verizon Navigator, Skype, Slacker Radio, Books, Facebook, Flickr, Amazon Kindle, NFL Mobile, Peep, YouTube and other byte stealers that I really do not care about using on my phone... would be nice to be able to delete them altogether, but hiding them works OK too.

I like and recommend this phone, but suggest that you get very aggressive right away with VZW Customer Service if you get a lemon and hopefully they would treat you like they did me and send a replacement that was outstanding.
on September 27, 2011
Five stars to the phone, one star to VZW, three stars overall. Get the phone, but look for a less intrusive provider if you want to enjoy it fully.

This was an upgrade from my previous phone, a fairly basic HTC Eris. The phone is everything a smartphone should be. Large screen, an excellent camera, a pretty powerful processor. I was worried about the size, but it does fit into most of my pockets. The highlight to me is the screen - not only the size and clarity, but the precision of the touch sensor. I find typing, etc. much easier. My daughter and I compared my phone against her latest iPhone and found the Incredible to be much better overall. The battery life is pretty decent for a large screen smartphone.

The provider experience, however, was disappointing - maddening, in fact. I'm an old Verizon customer, since the times they were called Bell Atlantic. I was one of the early FIOS adopters. The area I live in is pretty much the Verizon country. Yet at this point I'm pretty sure Verizon will be the dead last option when my current cell phone contract expires.

The first disappointment was the boatload of crapware the phone came with. The maddening part was that Verizon made it impossible to uninstall these.
The second disappointment was when I tried to use Skype off my home network. Verizon installs Skype AND THEN LOCKS IT OUT for domestic calls. Thank you very much indeed.
The third one was a recent software update VZW pushed onto my phone. Some marketing genius <redacted> decided it is okay to defecate into my bookmarks. Ten or so bookmarks (ESPN Sports, MS Bing, CNN, what have you) were added to my personal bookmarks. I spent an hour cleaning them up.

I'm sorry, but this is MY phone, I paid for it and I would like to configure it to MY needs. VZW is a service provider, and they should pay attention to reception quality, not to pushing substandard garbage into my personal space.

This is easily fixed once the phone is out of warranty, of course. But VZW has definitely made owning this excellent phone a lot less enjoyable than it should have been. Get the phone, but look for a less obnoxious provider.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
* 1GHz Snapdragon CPU
* 4" Super LCD Display (480x800)
* 768 MB of RAM
* Global CDMA/GSM Radio (3G)
* 16GB microSD
* 8 Megapixel Camera
* 1.3 Megapixel Front-facing Camera
* 720p Video Capture

As far as looks, the Droid Incredible 2 is all business and definitely believes that black is still the new black. While the original Incredible had some touches of red, this phone is *all* black. Engadget's own review calls this "Darth Vader's phone." Compared to the original Incredible, it has more rounded edges and the build feels higher quality. The back includes charging contacts so that you can equip another battery to the back of the device to extend the device's 1450mAh battery life, although my device easily manages to last a full day of fairly heavy use with some battery to spare. I wouldn't recommend trying to go more than two days between charges, however. It doesn't have a hardware keyboard, but Swype pretty much makes up for that.

Although the screen is larger, the device is only slightly larger than my original Droid. They seem to weigh about the same (can't tell a difference holding both) and, according to the official specs, the Incredible 2 is slightly thinner than the Incredible but, again, I can't tell the difference. The front is supposedly protected by Gorilla Glass, but I'm not going to drop mine to find out!

I haven't taken that many pictures with the device, but the quality of the ones that I have taken is quite good as long as you have decent lighting, otherwise quality seems to noticeably decrease. Compared to how badly other phones do at low light, it's still pretty impressive, but it still doesn't compare to a dedicated camera. There is a 1.3 megapixel camera on the front of the device, which is really low quality, but I don't know anyone to video chat with anyways, so who cares? One cool thing is that the phone comes with an FM radio so you can tune in and listen to radio stations. Quality seems pretty good from fiddling with it while on the metra.

Altogether, I'm very happy with my second Droid purchase. It's definitely better than the original Droid and, from the other phones I looked at in Verizon's store, probably the best Verizon phone you can get at the moment. Really, the only complaint I can make about the phone is that it comes bundled with some software that most people probably won't use.
on August 31, 2011
I got an Incredible 2 to replace a faulty Droid 2 Global in August 2011. It's been an upgrade in almost all ways, and it also keeps global roaming capability available to me.

Better on the Incredible 2:

Display--Games that didn't look all that great on the Droid 2 jump off the screen, and I never have to worry about it being bright enough in direct sunlight.

Feel--I actually liked the Droid 2's design, but the Incredible 2 feels melded to my hand. Caveats: I have fairly large hands (can just palm a regulation basketball), and if I wanted to put a case on the Incredible 2, it would probably start to get too big for a standard pants pocket. I've opted to go without a case this time (I do have handset insurance), primarily because the phone feels so natural in my hand that I can't imagine dropping it.

Battery life--Before opting for the Incredible 2, I checked out a number of gadget blogs, most of which found its battery life to be exceptional compared to other top-of-the-line Android phones. As part of my replacement package, I got an extended battery, so I cannot speak to the standard battery. I can say, though, that the extended battery is phenomenal. I routinely get two days of heavy use out of one charge, and could easily stretch it to three days of light use. With the Droid 2, heavy use would drain the standard battery completely in 4-6 hours.

Speed--I like to get a lot out of my phone. I use a customized application launcher, more than a few widgets, and a number of applications beyond the standard Twitter/Facebook/Email/SMS that require always-on push notifications (I average at least 5GB per month of data usage, plus another 10GB of wifi data). With the Droid 2, I began to pay attention to how I could trim my use so as not to slow the phone down to wow-is-this-aggravating-I'll-go-make-a-sandwich-while-I'm-waiting levels. While the Incredible 2 has slowed down just a smidge as I've tricked everything out, it's gone from impossibly fast to eye-blink fast. Perfectly acceptable and far better than I'd anticipated.

HTC "Sense" "improvements"--Believe it or not, many of the changes HTC made to the stock Android experience make a lot of sense (no pun intended). In particular, I like the swipe-down to unlock, the Quick Settings panel built into the notifications pull-down, the more intuitive stock calendar tweaks, the snazzy changes to the standard Clock app, and the excellent built-in Voice Recorder interface. (Some of these may just be changes from Android 2.2 on the Droid 2 to 2.3 on the Incredible 2, I'm not sure.)

Better physical buttons--The Incredible 2 features only a power button, which is nicely recessed, and volume rocker, which is super slim and has a very satisfying throw and feel. Bonus for well-designed hardware: I haven't once had the Incredible 2 turn on in my pocket, a huge improvement over the Droid 2.
An even better camera--The Droid 2 has an excellent camera; believe it or not, the Incredible 2 has an even better one.

Front-facing camera--Incredible 2 has it; Droid 2 doesn't.

Worse on the Incredible 2:

Call quality--I'm basing this on a small sample size, but call quality on my end of conversations has seemed to take a step down. People on the other end haven't noticed anything, however.

Bluetooth range--My multi-purpose Motorola bluetooth stereo headset had a pretty consistent 20-foot range with the Droid 2. With the Incredible 2, it's more like eight feet, and walls usually mean a complete break in connectivity.

Less on-board disk space--The Droid 2 comes with 8GB on-board and an 8GB micro-SD card. As far as I can tell, the Incredible 2 comes with only 2GB on-board. Not sure what SD card it ships with--mine didn't have one because I got it through Verizon's replacement program. A good App2SD application has made this pretty much a non-issue; I still have 1GB free on the phone itself.

No physical keyboard--This one is user-dependent. I actually don't miss the physical keyboard. Lacking it, the Incredible 2 is much slimmer and fits more nicely in my hand. Also, a bigger screen means bigger buttons and a much nicer landscape-mode soft keyboard experience, which I'd never bothered to learn or even activate on the Droid 2. Turns out it's just as fast and nearly as accurate for me. (I don't like Swype, for what it's worth, and I use SwiftkeyX.)

No physical shutter button--Again, user-dependent. I never used mine on the Droid 2, and it often got bumped and turned on the phone's display in my pocket, so I don't miss it.

Annoyances on both devices:

Your standard "on top of stock Android" apps and tweaks--Both phones came with a bunch of garbage apps, games, and widgets that I couldn't uninstall (would require root access to get rid of them). Once I deleted all the shortcuts and widgets that came pre-installed on the homescreens, however, I was able to pretty much ignore them. I'd recommend an alternative launcher like LauncherPro that allows the user to hide unwanted apps from the app drawer.

The Droid Incredible 2 is by far the best Android handset I have set eyes or hands on. None of my friends with Android phones (or even iPhones) like theirs as much as I like this one. If not having 4G is not a deal breaker for you, I highly recommend picking this one up. It's as fast, good-looking, and future-proof as you're likely to find among phones this year.
on May 15, 2011
This is a great phone! I went to Verizon wireless store to purchase a Thunderbolt, the first thing that struck me was that the thunderbolt was huge. The first thing the salesman told me was to carry a charger with you because of the battery life. I asked about the incredible 2 and was told except for some minor details and the size its basically the same phone as the thunderbolt. I wasn't interested in 4g since it wont be in my area for a yr.

I purchased the incredible 2 and I don't regret it. Its super fast on 3g. I don't download movies but if i did i could do it on wifi but this phone is plenty fast. They battery life is good. Using normally, texting, email some web browsing the battery lasted 14hrs plus. If you don't have a life and you are on your phone all day long ( as was I the first day i got it ) the battery will last around 6 hrs.

If 4G isn't important to you this is a fantastic phone.
on February 24, 2013
I had this phone on Verizon for a full 2 years with my contract. It was my very first smart phone and I have to say, I've been extremely pleased with it. It has had it's ups and downs, like all devices these days, but overall if I had to do it all over again, I would pick it again.

To start, the phone is a very comfortable size. I have smaller hands so I am not easily able to use some of the newer, larger screens. This phone fits comfortably in my hand and I can reach all of the buttons to text with one hand, if needed. The phone is stylish and attractive on it's own with smooth lines and contours and all buttons are easily accessible and responsive. The phone is heavier than previous phones I have had, but I think this helps it to feel solid in your hand and appreciate the weight, though it is certainly not heavy in general.

The functions of the phone itself are also fairly easy to use and the phone is simple to navigate. It comes with several themes and styles you can choose from, allowing for several screens you can swipe between and customize. You can set individual ringtones for your favorite contacts and upload your own music to serve as a ringtone as well. I find the screen to be very responsive to swipes and touches as well. The display is crisp and clear and easy to read, though there is a little glare in sunlight. I applied a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for HTC DROID Incredible 2 - Screen - Retail Packaging - Clear from day 1 and have had no issues with clarity or visual appeal.

Call clarity has rarely been an issue. Most calls come across clear and the phone can be set to adjust call volume depending on the level of surrounding noise, which is a nice feature. I text more than call, but I have found the actual call features to be more than suitable for my needs.

When running applications, the phone works fine. It's easy to see all of your running applications and easily stop or uninstall them. There is a nice feature where if you hold down the Home button, it brings up a screen that shows all of your recently used apps so you can easily access them. Sound quality for music is adequate, but not amazing. I use Pandora on my phone but normally connect it to my car stereo when driving or my portable speakers at home.

Surfing the internet is smooth and you have the ability to save bookmarks if you use Firefox. I'm not sure about other browsers, since I have only used Firefox on my phone, but Firefox is responsive and easy to use on the Incredible 2.

This phone supports 3G, Wireless internet and Bluetooth capability, but does not support 4G LTE.

Overall, the Incredible 2 is a great phone. I am sad to see it go, but I recently upgraded when I renewed my contract. I will miss this phone for sure, it was a nice first smartphone to have!
on October 15, 2011
I previously owned a Samsung Propel on AT&T, so this is my first smartphone. When my contract ended two months ago, I decided to make the jump to Verizon due to AT&T's rattletrap of a network. I had no desire for an iPhone because I have an iPod 3rd gen and apps are VERY unstable on it. So I took a look at Verizon's Droid line and came across this puppy. After playing with it at the Verizon retail store I finally made the upgrade.

Battery life is incredible for an HTC.

Very smooth HTC Sense U. I. It's much faster than my old iPod. I also love the clock and weather widget that animates when you start up the phone.

Apps are a LOT more stable compared to iPhone iOS.

LED indicator light that blinks when you have a new text message or email.

Dependable clear Verizon network. No dropped calls or unsent text messages.

Feels very comfortable in the hand.

Not 4G. I don't really need fast downloads/uploads in exchange for my battery life.

Touch buttons are invisible when the display is off.

Call quality is awesome! I've heard some complaints about call quality but it's actually pretty good.

Browser can be buggy at times.

Reception is questionable. My two year old Samsung got better reception.

As great as Verizon's network coverage is, they are the WORST when it comes to software. I have 15+ apps that Verizon bloated on my phone that I CANNOT delete(unless rooting were an option). These apps run in the background using the data connection thus draining the battery. It makes wonder why in the world does Verizon do this. Even if the apps are unremovable, Verizon can't force me to use them.

Display not as bright as the Charge or new iPhone 4S screen.

Sometimes it has weird touchscreen issues. It'll work fine when I'm clicking on the menu, but when I'm trying to switch between screens, it won't respond. It doesn't happen often though.

In conclusion,this is a pretty cool phone. If you're on the market looking for the latest and the greatest, then get this one. However, if you aren't well experienced with the technology world, I would get something a little more modest. If you choose this phone, though, you'll have a great experience. Trust me.
on July 27, 2012
A great phone, the only thing I can complain about is that the on-off button starts to get stuck sometimes, at the end I fixed it by downloading an app that alows me to use the volume buttons instead of the on-off button. The rest is perfect.
on August 9, 2011
My bf (now husband) got the iPhone 4 about three months ago, and started badgering me to get one. While I enjoyed the interface, ease of controls, and aesthetic of the iPhone, I didn't actually have the 300 dollars to invest in such an item. And then Amazon was selling phones for a penny. I chose the Incredible 2 for its sleek look, the upgradable memory, and good pricing. For a penny, this phone has changed my outlook on a phone! I only charge up once a week (while my husband has to charge everyday.Even with his battery skin). I can surf the net quicker than he can, and have access to a growing collection of apps. It's not 4G-fast, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so that's not a problem. The Google Navigation program is worth the price of admission itself. Just try it!
on May 24, 2013
I got this for my uncle and he has never had an problems with it it was like brand new
And it was fast shipping