Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on November 21, 2011
This phone gets a 4.5 rating!

As a little background, you should know that I've used the Droid OG, X, Bionic, and Charge prior to picking up the Incredible 2 and I'm very pleasantly surprised by the phone. I've been using the Dinc2 for only 1 week, but it's been a great phone so far. I'll start with the minor reasons why I couldn't give it a 5-star rating then talk about the positives.

Weakness:

1) Small size: in today's age of BIG phones, the Incredible 2 at around 4 inches feels small.

2) Keyboard: I'm probably too accustomed to Motorola's keyboard, so I'm knocking HTC for theirs. I don't like the suggestions/corrections and the highlighting is annoying. And the fact that Swype isn't pre-loaded is another knock against the phone. I'll let you know how I feel in a month, but initial use is not as smooth as the other phones I've used.

3) Verizon bloatware: More of a nuisance than anything else, but nobody likes being pre-loaded with a bunch of apps that you will never use.

Strength:

1) Hardware/Software integration: This is the best phone that I've used that really integrates the software into the hardware. This phone runs really fast, switches seamlessly between apps, and everything just works.

2) Camera: By far, this is the best camera that I've ever used on a cell phone. Quick and responsive, this phone produces amazing shots. While not "zero-lag", this camera is great for a good quality, point and shoot picture taker.

3) Extremely strong build quality: I was expecting this phone to be cheaply made, but everything feels really tight and really solid. Gorilla Glass and the textured back make the phone feel very secure. I see no need to put a case around this phone.

Overall:

I think HTC took a page out of the I-phone book and made a device that just works really well together. It doesn't have the fastest processor, highest RAM, nor most megapixels, but everything works much better than those other, high-powered phones. I would highly recommend this phone. And I have to give a shout-out to Amazon for their great pricing.
on February 1, 2015
If you are reading this review, it is 2015 or later. This is not a new phone. You are looking to buy this phone because it is really cheap for what you are getting - a working Android device with a decent camera and no obvious design flaws. It is certainly that. Apples to apples, used, this beats an iPhone 4 any day - and those are running for %50 more than these. (I picked this up for $65 while an iPhone 4 in similar condition was $115.)

But, for the love of god, if you are even the slightest bit technologically literate - root your phone and install a new ROM. A lot of these Amazon reviews are complaining about the software, how there are a bunch of bundled Verizon apps (NFL??) that you can't uninstall and that are constantly running - yeah, it's really annoying. Also, the HTC Sense UI is waaay outdated. It was already sketchy in 2012, now it looks like absolute garbage. But guess what? You aren't stuck with it. You don't need to worry about rooting voiding your warranty because that expired 2 years ago. I have Cyanogenmod installed and life is 100% better than the stock ROM. No bloatware, just simplicity and full customization. On the stock ROM, I had to charge the battery every night just from daily use (texting and the occasional website - nothing heavy). Now I last 3-4 days on a single charge.

A couple negative notes. The product description claims "16GB SD card preinstalled". Don't expect this if you buy used. The sellers don't mention this in the product description but expect to drop an extra $15 on a new SD card to get this phone functional (you can't do much without one, no pictures or anything). Also, Verizon requires a data plan on all smartphones - I bought this phone expecting to be able to use my existing dumb-phone plan with it, but that is just not how things work apparently - had to upgrade to a data plan to activate the phone! I am not happy about that.

Still, highly recommended. This is still a quality device even three years after release.
on September 27, 2011
Five stars to the phone, one star to VZW, three stars overall. Get the phone, but look for a less intrusive provider if you want to enjoy it fully.

This was an upgrade from my previous phone, a fairly basic HTC Eris. The phone is everything a smartphone should be. Large screen, an excellent camera, a pretty powerful processor. I was worried about the size, but it does fit into most of my pockets. The highlight to me is the screen - not only the size and clarity, but the precision of the touch sensor. I find typing, etc. much easier. My daughter and I compared my phone against her latest iPhone and found the Incredible to be much better overall. The battery life is pretty decent for a large screen smartphone.

The provider experience, however, was disappointing - maddening, in fact. I'm an old Verizon customer, since the times they were called Bell Atlantic. I was one of the early FIOS adopters. The area I live in is pretty much the Verizon country. Yet at this point I'm pretty sure Verizon will be the dead last option when my current cell phone contract expires.

The first disappointment was the boatload of crapware the phone came with. The maddening part was that Verizon made it impossible to uninstall these.
The second disappointment was when I tried to use Skype off my home network. Verizon installs Skype AND THEN LOCKS IT OUT for domestic calls. Thank you very much indeed.
The third one was a recent software update VZW pushed onto my phone. Some marketing genius <redacted> decided it is okay to defecate into my bookmarks. Ten or so bookmarks (ESPN Sports, MS Bing, CNN, what have you) were added to my personal bookmarks. I spent an hour cleaning them up.

I'm sorry, but this is MY phone, I paid for it and I would like to configure it to MY needs. VZW is a service provider, and they should pay attention to reception quality, not to pushing substandard garbage into my personal space.

This is easily fixed once the phone is out of warranty, of course. But VZW has definitely made owning this excellent phone a lot less enjoyable than it should have been. Get the phone, but look for a less obnoxious provider.
on August 31, 2011
I got an Incredible 2 to replace a faulty Droid 2 Global in August 2011. It's been an upgrade in almost all ways, and it also keeps global roaming capability available to me.

Better on the Incredible 2:

Display--Games that didn't look all that great on the Droid 2 jump off the screen, and I never have to worry about it being bright enough in direct sunlight.

Feel--I actually liked the Droid 2's design, but the Incredible 2 feels melded to my hand. Caveats: I have fairly large hands (can just palm a regulation basketball), and if I wanted to put a case on the Incredible 2, it would probably start to get too big for a standard pants pocket. I've opted to go without a case this time (I do have handset insurance), primarily because the phone feels so natural in my hand that I can't imagine dropping it.

Battery life--Before opting for the Incredible 2, I checked out a number of gadget blogs, most of which found its battery life to be exceptional compared to other top-of-the-line Android phones. As part of my replacement package, I got an extended battery, so I cannot speak to the standard battery. I can say, though, that the extended battery is phenomenal. I routinely get two days of heavy use out of one charge, and could easily stretch it to three days of light use. With the Droid 2, heavy use would drain the standard battery completely in 4-6 hours.

Speed--I like to get a lot out of my phone. I use a customized application launcher, more than a few widgets, and a number of applications beyond the standard Twitter/Facebook/Email/SMS that require always-on push notifications (I average at least 5GB per month of data usage, plus another 10GB of wifi data). With the Droid 2, I began to pay attention to how I could trim my use so as not to slow the phone down to wow-is-this-aggravating-I'll-go-make-a-sandwich-while-I'm-waiting levels. While the Incredible 2 has slowed down just a smidge as I've tricked everything out, it's gone from impossibly fast to eye-blink fast. Perfectly acceptable and far better than I'd anticipated.

HTC "Sense" "improvements"--Believe it or not, many of the changes HTC made to the stock Android experience make a lot of sense (no pun intended). In particular, I like the swipe-down to unlock, the Quick Settings panel built into the notifications pull-down, the more intuitive stock calendar tweaks, the snazzy changes to the standard Clock app, and the excellent built-in Voice Recorder interface. (Some of these may just be changes from Android 2.2 on the Droid 2 to 2.3 on the Incredible 2, I'm not sure.)

Better physical buttons--The Incredible 2 features only a power button, which is nicely recessed, and volume rocker, which is super slim and has a very satisfying throw and feel. Bonus for well-designed hardware: I haven't once had the Incredible 2 turn on in my pocket, a huge improvement over the Droid 2.
An even better camera--The Droid 2 has an excellent camera; believe it or not, the Incredible 2 has an even better one.

Front-facing camera--Incredible 2 has it; Droid 2 doesn't.

Worse on the Incredible 2:

Call quality--I'm basing this on a small sample size, but call quality on my end of conversations has seemed to take a step down. People on the other end haven't noticed anything, however.

Bluetooth range--My multi-purpose Motorola bluetooth stereo headset had a pretty consistent 20-foot range with the Droid 2. With the Incredible 2, it's more like eight feet, and walls usually mean a complete break in connectivity.

Less on-board disk space--The Droid 2 comes with 8GB on-board and an 8GB micro-SD card. As far as I can tell, the Incredible 2 comes with only 2GB on-board. Not sure what SD card it ships with--mine didn't have one because I got it through Verizon's replacement program. A good App2SD application has made this pretty much a non-issue; I still have 1GB free on the phone itself.

No physical keyboard--This one is user-dependent. I actually don't miss the physical keyboard. Lacking it, the Incredible 2 is much slimmer and fits more nicely in my hand. Also, a bigger screen means bigger buttons and a much nicer landscape-mode soft keyboard experience, which I'd never bothered to learn or even activate on the Droid 2. Turns out it's just as fast and nearly as accurate for me. (I don't like Swype, for what it's worth, and I use SwiftkeyX.)

No physical shutter button--Again, user-dependent. I never used mine on the Droid 2, and it often got bumped and turned on the phone's display in my pocket, so I don't miss it.

Annoyances on both devices:

Your standard "on top of stock Android" apps and tweaks--Both phones came with a bunch of garbage apps, games, and widgets that I couldn't uninstall (would require root access to get rid of them). Once I deleted all the shortcuts and widgets that came pre-installed on the homescreens, however, I was able to pretty much ignore them. I'd recommend an alternative launcher like LauncherPro that allows the user to hide unwanted apps from the app drawer.

---

Summary:

The Droid Incredible 2 is by far the best Android handset I have set eyes or hands on. None of my friends with Android phones (or even iPhones) like theirs as much as I like this one. If not having 4G is not a deal breaker for you, I highly recommend picking this one up. It's as fast, good-looking, and future-proof as you're likely to find among phones this year.
on May 26, 2011
_SPECS_
* 1GHz Snapdragon CPU
* 4" Super LCD Display (480x800)
* 768 MB of RAM
* Global CDMA/GSM Radio (3G)
* 16GB microSD
* 8 Megapixel Camera
* 1.3 Megapixel Front-facing Camera
* 720p Video Capture

As far as looks, the Droid Incredible 2 is all business and definitely believes that black is still the new black. While the original Incredible had some touches of red, this phone is *all* black. Engadget's own review calls this "Darth Vader's phone." Compared to the original Incredible, it has more rounded edges and the build feels higher quality. The back includes charging contacts so that you can equip another battery to the back of the device to extend the device's 1450mAh battery life, although my device easily manages to last a full day of fairly heavy use with some battery to spare. I wouldn't recommend trying to go more than two days between charges, however. It doesn't have a hardware keyboard, but Swype pretty much makes up for that.

Although the screen is larger, the device is only slightly larger than my original Droid. They seem to weigh about the same (can't tell a difference holding both) and, according to the official specs, the Incredible 2 is slightly thinner than the Incredible but, again, I can't tell the difference. The front is supposedly protected by Gorilla Glass, but I'm not going to drop mine to find out!

I haven't taken that many pictures with the device, but the quality of the ones that I have taken is quite good as long as you have decent lighting, otherwise quality seems to noticeably decrease. Compared to how badly other phones do at low light, it's still pretty impressive, but it still doesn't compare to a dedicated camera. There is a 1.3 megapixel camera on the front of the device, which is really low quality, but I don't know anyone to video chat with anyways, so who cares? One cool thing is that the phone comes with an FM radio so you can tune in and listen to radio stations. Quality seems pretty good from fiddling with it while on the metra.

Altogether, I'm very happy with my second Droid purchase. It's definitely better than the original Droid and, from the other phones I looked at in Verizon's store, probably the best Verizon phone you can get at the moment. Really, the only complaint I can make about the phone is that it comes bundled with some software that most people probably won't use.
on June 5, 2016
Very nice phone, a little smaller than expected but otherwise functions perfectly and maintains a good charge. I enjoyed getting my items in one package. The packaged was wrapped and packed perfectly with great protection. I really appreciate the time and care you put in packing my orders perfectly. Thank you
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2014
The phone arrived in good looking condition, but it would not stay connected to the network. Tried master reset, took it into multiple stores to have it trouble shot, but would not work. Complete waste.
on February 24, 2013
I had this phone on Verizon for a full 2 years with my contract. It was my very first smart phone and I have to say, I've been extremely pleased with it. It has had it's ups and downs, like all devices these days, but overall if I had to do it all over again, I would pick it again.

To start, the phone is a very comfortable size. I have smaller hands so I am not easily able to use some of the newer, larger screens. This phone fits comfortably in my hand and I can reach all of the buttons to text with one hand, if needed. The phone is stylish and attractive on it's own with smooth lines and contours and all buttons are easily accessible and responsive. The phone is heavier than previous phones I have had, but I think this helps it to feel solid in your hand and appreciate the weight, though it is certainly not heavy in general.

The functions of the phone itself are also fairly easy to use and the phone is simple to navigate. It comes with several themes and styles you can choose from, allowing for several screens you can swipe between and customize. You can set individual ringtones for your favorite contacts and upload your own music to serve as a ringtone as well. I find the screen to be very responsive to swipes and touches as well. The display is crisp and clear and easy to read, though there is a little glare in sunlight. I applied a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for HTC DROID Incredible 2 - Screen - Retail Packaging - Clear from day 1 and have had no issues with clarity or visual appeal.

Call clarity has rarely been an issue. Most calls come across clear and the phone can be set to adjust call volume depending on the level of surrounding noise, which is a nice feature. I text more than call, but I have found the actual call features to be more than suitable for my needs.

When running applications, the phone works fine. It's easy to see all of your running applications and easily stop or uninstall them. There is a nice feature where if you hold down the Home button, it brings up a screen that shows all of your recently used apps so you can easily access them. Sound quality for music is adequate, but not amazing. I use Pandora on my phone but normally connect it to my car stereo when driving or my portable speakers at home.

Surfing the internet is smooth and you have the ability to save bookmarks if you use Firefox. I'm not sure about other browsers, since I have only used Firefox on my phone, but Firefox is responsive and easy to use on the Incredible 2.

This phone supports 3G, Wireless internet and Bluetooth capability, but does not support 4G LTE.

Overall, the Incredible 2 is a great phone. I am sad to see it go, but I recently upgraded when I renewed my contract. I will miss this phone for sure, it was a nice first smartphone to have!
on July 27, 2012
A great phone, the only thing I can complain about is that the on-off button starts to get stuck sometimes, at the end I fixed it by downloading an app that alows me to use the volume buttons instead of the on-off button. The rest is perfect.
on April 24, 2016
All good except for one warning to potential buyers of the Incredible 2. It is so old, here in 2016, that Google Play Store cannot download for-pay applications. Free apps are good; for-pay, no-way.