on December 12, 2011
I'm 50 and this is my first smart phone so I don't have much to compare it too. I went into Verizon and said I wanted a phone that had a good camera, was intuitive had email and rock solid. He recommended the Incredible 2 that had just come out and it's been a breeze. I figured V2 of a succesful phone wasn't a bad thing. Now I'm bluetoothing my cloud music to my hands free car while Skyping for free to my friend in Switzerland. Crazy stuff
on July 5, 2011
Love the phone concept, but after a full 24 hour charge, it's dead 4 hours after taking it off the charger. I rec'd one call that went to voice mail during that time, otherwise haven't used it. Went from full charge icon to yellow in this short time. I have to take my charger everywhere and keep it plugged in wherever I go. Would love to actually use this phone, but so far cannot do anything but the very basics due to poor battery life. I gave it 2 stars as the phone itself is wonderful.....if I could only use it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2015
If you are reading this review, it is 2015 or later. This is not a new phone. You are looking to buy this phone because it is really cheap for what you are getting - a working Android device with a decent camera and no obvious design flaws. It is certainly that. Apples to apples, used, this beats an iPhone 4 any day - and those are running for %50 more than these. (I picked this up for $65 while an iPhone 4 in similar condition was $115.)

But, for the love of god, if you are even the slightest bit technologically literate - root your phone and install a new ROM. A lot of these Amazon reviews are complaining about the software, how there are a bunch of bundled Verizon apps (NFL??) that you can't uninstall and that are constantly running - yeah, it's really annoying. Also, the HTC Sense UI is waaay outdated. It was already sketchy in 2012, now it looks like absolute garbage. But guess what? You aren't stuck with it. You don't need to worry about rooting voiding your warranty because that expired 2 years ago. I have Cyanogenmod installed and life is 100% better than the stock ROM. No bloatware, just simplicity and full customization. On the stock ROM, I had to charge the battery every night just from daily use (texting and the occasional website - nothing heavy). Now I last 3-4 days on a single charge.

A couple negative notes. The product description claims "16GB SD card preinstalled". Don't expect this if you buy used. The sellers don't mention this in the product description but expect to drop an extra $15 on a new SD card to get this phone functional (you can't do much without one, no pictures or anything). Also, Verizon requires a data plan on all smartphones - I bought this phone expecting to be able to use my existing dumb-phone plan with it, but that is just not how things work apparently - had to upgrade to a data plan to activate the phone! I am not happy about that.

Still, highly recommended. This is still a quality device even three years after release.
on November 23, 2011
Just got this phone on Saturday and I do have to say coming from a three year old Blackberry I am impressed. The screen is so much brighter and larger than even my iTouch 4g and pictures are easier to see. I will agree with others on here that the battery life leaves much to be desired, but I think it might have to do more with the wireless and how many app's are running than the battery itself. I did get an app called android booster that monitors battery use and shuts down apps that are running the battery down, seems to work well.

Pro's: Picture, sound, design
Con's: Battery life (the wireless just drains it like crazy)

Revised 12/10: Almost, but barely a month in I am starting to notice that the phone does have some habits, the wireless seems to drain the battery like crazy even when the phone is "sleeping" and it also shuts itself down if the battery has been charging for too long. I left it plugged in overnight and woke up to it fast asleep and I had to reboot it. Also when I am trying to dial a number or even hang up, the phone's screen will go black, and I have to hit the home button to get the phone to light up again. I realize I have the screen timer set for one minute, but only because I don't want it to bump against something in my purse and call 911 by accident or something.

Other than that, the phone works well, but it is still a step by step learning process for me.

Edit: 12/21:
Did the system update from Verizon yesterday and the battery seems to be lasting longer than before, regardless if the wifi is on or not. Have used it off and on since last night and it's at 80% or so, which is a huge improvement from before. Certain app's I cannot turn off or remove, which seems to be a common issue, but they can be ignored so it's no biggie. Also the signal has improved, where I got no bars before (I am in a big city, so the no bars thing, was just odd) I get two or three now which is an improvement.

Verizon itself, well be prepaired for sticker shock when you get your first bill, I have unlimited and had 5GB data (I have 2GB now because I realized I don't use that much data "on the road" and when I'm home I have my wireless) and I purchased a special
case/screen protector for it from the Verizon online store. My first bill was $251 and no change, including acitivation, taxes, days used until my first billing cycle started and the month of my billing cycle. I wasn't suprised by how expensive it was, but I just thought I'd say something because some others have commented on this as well.
on September 11, 2011
After waiting all summer in hopes that a 4G/LTE phone that was 4.0" or less would be announced for Verizon I lost hope when the only thing expected by the end of the year was a Pantech. Since I'm probably not going to have LTE in my area within the next 18 months anyways I just decided to go with the Incredible. I was upgrading from the Droid Eris which I bought when it launched, and with how slow that thing was the upgrade came not a moment too soon.

This phone isn't a dual core, and it's not LTE. Some people say that makes it a bad phone, or non competitive. Well I suppose if you live an a 4G/LTE area then yea, it's not as fast for browsing. Odds are very good you don't though, and won't 6 months from now, or even 12. So it's a non factor really. As for the dual core thing that's not really worth worrying about either. I've played around with a coworker's Droid 3, and a friend's Droid X2. Both of those are dual cores. Holding the phones in your hands next to an Incredible 2 you would never know that the other two phones had a dual core unless someone told you, or you ran a Quadrant benchmark or something.(I scored ~1,400 on mine, my friend's X2 ~1,850)

I can say if you have the courage to root your phone it's worth it to get all of the bloatware off of the thing. Just remember to get some backup software before uninstalling some of it in case one of them takes needed functionality with it.

Phone comes with Skype, but I immediately removed their version and downloaded the Android Market version. You can make video calls over 3G with this phone.(Something the Droid X2 my friend has cannot)

Also two games are included, Let's Golf 2, and Need for Speed Shift. Nice to have the, but most will probably ignore.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First the good. The phone is a good size, just a little larger than the iPhone, but still not too large as to make holding it in your hand uncomfortable as are the huge 4G phones. The four inch screen is plenty big enough (I came from an iPhone and the extra territory is noticeable) and the Sense overlay really makes navigating around the Android OS a much better experience.

Now the bad. The hardware is not well made. Battery life is mediocre, better than the 4G phones, but much worse than the iPhones. I can get through one day of medium use, but on my previous iPhone I didn't have to charge it for two or three days with medium use. Because the back comes off the phone doesn't have a solid feel to it. There is some give with the back casing and it makes the phone feel less substantial. For some reason this phone has a tendency to kill sd cards, so you need to keep every thing backed up.

Another hardware problem widely reported on the forums and one I have experienced with my phone is the disappearing power button. Over time it slowly sinks down into the case so that it's no longer useable. Mine is almost level now with the top of the case. I called Verizon customer service about it and they told me it wasn't a problem, but a design feature of the phone. Huh?

The screen also tends to trap dust beneath it. Again, this is a problem widely reported on the boards and one which Verizon won't do anything about. I've noticed dust in the bottom left corner of my screen, but so far it hasn't affected my being able to view anything.

The biggest problem this phone has and most other HTC phones is the poor antenna placement. HTC tends to put the antenna in the back cover of the phone where it's prone to the death grip made famous by the iPhone 4. Reception is horrible with this phone. You can lay it down and watch the bars fluctuate from full to none. It seems whenever you answer a call the bars drop from 4 or 5 to one or 1x and the result is a garbled voice on the other end. There is a frequent echo too. I have had more dropped calls with this phone in my house, where I receive a full signal, than with any phone I have ever owned. If you get in a weak or fringe area then forget it, you won't have a signal at all. When I'm in weak areas on business trips my colleagues will show two to three bars on their phones and I will either have none or else it will vacillate between none and 1 bar and run the battery down. I called Verizon customer service and they acted like they had never had anybody complain about reception. All they need to do is a search on the internet and they will find plenty of complaints about reception with this phone, including on their own support boards. HTC at least acknowledges the problem and says they are working on it, but they have been saying this going back to the original Incredible two years ago.

In summary, this phone has a lot of promise, but falls way short on delivering. It is plagued with problems and with Verizon's poor customer support if you buy this phone you are assured of an aggravating experience.
on October 23, 2011
I love the Incredible 2. I find myself using it all the time. I do a lot of useful work related stuff on it and I read the news, play games, and watch movies with it. I like the fact that it has a GSM-SIM card for international use and if you buy an App from Amazon, it also installs at no extra charge on your other Android devices - like my Motorola Xoom tablet. Instead of going through the great things it does, I thought I would mention a couple of the things that are less than ideal.

The battery doesn't last through the day, especially if I use Bluetooth and/or GPS. I bought an extended battery with cover on Amazon for about $20 and the problem is resolved. - Try that Iphone users!

I use almost 3 gigabytes of data per month and that is bound to go up now that I have Netflix streaming on it. This isn't really a problem because I got it in time to get the no longer available Verizon unlimited data plan. New users will likely find the lack of unlimited data to be a problem.

I was planning on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth tethering it to my Xoom for use at hotels and in the car. It turns out the Bluetooth is purposely crippled so it won't do a Bluetooth tether. I don't have the knowledge or nerve to root the phone (and/or the Xoom) to make it work. USB tethering would be difficult and inconvenient if it worked, but it doesn't. You can pay Verizon $20 a month for WiFi tethering, but that drops you down to the 2 gigabyte limit and who wants to pay $240 per year plus overages.

The phone is 3G only. Fast enough for the phone; Probably fast enough for a Xoom, but slow for tethering to a computer. Maybe someday an Incredible 3 will be 4G, but the 2 Gigabyte limit will be eaten up even faster.
on February 15, 2012
First, let me say this about Android, I wasn't a big fan because my wife had one and it SUCKED, but I took the chance anyway due to all the decent reviews about it, plus me being too cheap to buy an iphone for $200, (which my wife & daughter both upgraded too), especially when I could get a phone for $.01 and does most of the same things as the almighty iphone. Also my blackberry battery died on me 3 months prior to my upgrade and I refuse to pay 30 bucks for a battery to a phone I got for free!

The Android Incredible 2 Phone is great, apps work fine (a lot of quality free ones), battery is pretty good despite all that I hear about it, (I get 10-15 hours of use per day, depending on my usage), but buy the extended battery if you feel necessary. I don't think so for me, but everybody is different. Easy setup. I'm somewhat of a heavy user, when on the road, because I'm an angry bird addict, plus I check emails a lot and the calls are very clear as well. Just be sure to get a case for it, while it seems sturdy, I would play it safe. Nice size screen 4 inches, so be sure to get you a screen protector, because you'll be using the touch screen a lot. Funny thing is that the picture is clear even with all the finger prints all over it. The 3G and wifi works pretty good, I'm still under my old unlimited data package, because I watch Netflix and Youtube every now and then. Also the weather widget is an awesome added piece.

I'm not into all the techy stuff, when it comes to smart phones, just work as far as calls, internet, emails and I'm a happy camper! I mean hey, I wasn't looking for all this from a phone I only paid a penny for through my upgrade, but I got a great steal!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2011
While I may not be the most technological savvy person, I have had enough bad cellphones to know that the Incredible 2 is simply wonderful. I researched phones a lot when I made this purchase, because I've been stuck with awful phones in the past. It was between this phone, and the iPhone. After reading several reviews and looking at all the specs, the major determining factor came down to the price. At the time that I bought this phone, it was $80 on Amazon, while the iPhone would have been $160 after my "New Every Two" discount on Verizon. And now that this phone is pretty much free, I don't think there should be any question. The Incredible 2 is NOT an iPhone, but it has enough similarities to make it a worthy competitor if price is a factor in your decision making.

That being said, my actual experiences with this phone have been close to flawless. The only minor issue I can recall is that the phone restarted itself a bunch of times (about once an hour) one day, but that seemed to be a one-time problem that fixed itself. Without going too much into detail, this phone does what it says it does. My days of getting a seemingly good phone, but then cursing it out when morphs into nothing more than a piece of junk, are over. If you've looked at the CNET reviews and whatnot and are still considering this phone, get it! After over 6 months of owning this phone, I've not once regretted it. I've even convinced two other family members to purchase this phone, and I've come close to swaying others.

Bottom line: Great, solid, stable smart phone, for a terrific value.
on February 3, 2012
This phone was a replacement for my rotten Droid X. Verizon service and support has been medoicre.

Day 1. Activation was a nightmare. 2.5 hrs on the phone to overcome the pitiful instructions that came with the phone (It's just 3 steps..."). The phone would just not activate. Incredibly difficult to pry the phone open (the entire back cover has to come off) to reseat the battery.

Day 2. Perfect axial symmetry of phone case is a problem. You don't know if it's upside down or right side up (in your pocket or not), and you lose time while it rings trying to locate the On button. The On button is miniscule, worked into a seam, and hard to depress; and even though that was intentional to prevent you from turning it on, I pull it out of my pocket sometimes and it's already on. The phone interface of the phonebook is non-intuitive and irritating. The case is also slippery and radiused everywhere, making it hard to hold while pressing buttons. When it begins to slip out of your hand, you grab it tighter and your finger touches the screen; clicking an onscreen button, or opening an app you didn't want, or hangingin up your phonecall...

Day 3. The phone dials a 20 minute phonecall from my pocket and becomes very warm. I don't realize a call is occuring because the phone's active state is virtually impossible to detect. I call Verizon for assistance and the mouthpiece doesn't work (I can hear them, they can't hear me), etc.

See 1 answered question