Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on March 9, 2012
There is a known defect that causes the OS to send auidable data transmissions that the user hears as a deafening squak over the earpiece during telephone calls. I have been working with VerizonWireless World Support for the last 3 months running BUG detector after each occurence. Samsung is aware of the defect and will ONLY replace the phone if this occurs on more than 50% of calls.

Busness support suggested buying a new phone, different model, at FULL RETAIL as they said they are no longer recommending this phone to customers becasue of this known DEFECT. Management has not yet authorized full replacement yet as Samsung is not willing to replace the phone.
on February 18, 2012
TOTAL JUNK. Do not buy this phone. It's the worst phone i have ever used. It will not sync with my 45K 2011 Dodge Ram Pickup or with any of the other bluetooth devices from various brands i own. When on a call and vmail ask's if you want to save or delete, the screen is black and you have to restart the pnone to access the dial pad. Same thing when you want to end a call. The disply screen timeout is set to 10 mins yet goes dark in seconds when your on a call. when i called india, oops i mean tech support, they cant help and blame the other devices and have no fix for the screen timeout issue. Also there is no sweetspot for the speaker/ ear end to hear very well.
on August 20, 2011
I've been using the Droid Charge for 2 months and I am disappointed. I consider myself a power user. My previous phone was the HTC G2. I'll keep it succinct.

First the positives:

1. Gorgeous Super Amoled+ screen.
2. Excellent camera/video capture.

Now the negatives:

1. Processor/Ram feels under-powered. The phone often lags or feels slow. This phone would have been much better served by a dual core CPU or more RAM.
2. The GPS is terrible. This is my second Samsung phone that takes a while to find the satellites (I briefly owned the first generation Galaxy). Compared to my previous phone (G2), the GPS performance almost borders on unacceptable.
3. Terrible network switching. Since I live in NYC, I'm often going in and out of the subway. The Charge often takes way too long to find either a 3G or 4G signal. I sometimes turn off and on the wireless to speed it up. Again, not acceptable.
4. Charging the phone takes FOREVER. It's mystifying considering the phone's name.
5. Wi-Fi antenna not as sensitive as my previous phone. This is not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

There you have it folks.
on September 4, 2011
Seriously - there are so huge deficiencies here that someone for sure hasn't been doing their job. Did the people at Samsung actually try this phone before they started selling it?

If they had, here are some examples of obvious deficiencies they would have caught:

*) It is using auto completion when you are typing in the names of your contacts. For example: you try to find the phone number of Mathias but it _won't let you_ type that, and instead suggests something totally off.

*) The GPS is really bad. If often puts you on the wrong street or in the wrong neigborhood when my wife's phone puts you right on the spot.

*) It takes an absurd number of clicks to make phone calls. This is really dangerous if you have to make one from your car.

*) You can't turn the screen off while in camera mode. That means you can never be standby to take shots because it takes half a minute to turn the camera on.

These are just a few examples. This phone is just a really clunky and unfinished user experience. Avoid!

(But yeah, the 4G is fast. Faster than the WiFi in my office actually)
on March 28, 2012
The Battery is awful
It freezes constantly
Battery pulls are required constantly
Startup takes nearly 5 minutes
It has the hideous TouchWiz
It didn't receive the Gingerbread update for nearly a year
It may be 4G but it never picks up a signal

DO NOT GET THIS PHONE. DO NOT GET THIS PHONE! I cannot stress this enough. YOU. WILL. HATE. IT.
on January 5, 2012
I have had this phone for almost 6 months and it is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dropped calls, screeching noises that are almost unbearable, no battery life etc. What a waste of money! I've tried to resolve these problems for months. I'm now on my second replacement and still have the same problems. Verizon said it is a manufacturing problem. Thanks a lot Samsung.
on December 31, 2011
I have been counting down the days till I can upgrade this horrible phone. I live in the DC area so our connection is decent. The only way I have ever gotten a full day out of a charge is if I spend the day on a wireless connection. I watch the battery die so fast that it can go before noon if I'm not careful. I have my little portable external battery to get me past times when I can't be charging it.

The other thing is it's slow, slow to load aps, sometimes the key board freezes and is slow to respond. I have to reboot it almost every day. I am on the second battery and the second phone since I got this phone last Spring.

When I launch the Gmail app it takes forever to load the new emails (my old original Motorola Droid was much faster).

I'm also frustrated with how the satellite cannot find me when it's raining. I mean every single time it rains I can't use the satellite navigation.

It has another fun thing it does when I make a call that requires entering numbers like say, calling the bank. I get a few numbers in, then the key pad goes black, then it comes back, but won't take the numbers. Finally the computer is asking me to enter the numbers again. I have to go to a landline for these types of calls. They replaced my old phone for this issue, and now the new one does it. The screen freezes frequently, where it just won't respond and I have to restart it.

A little about how I use the phone
I don't play games, I don't watch videos.

I check my email, I check FB, I text and I take pictures. Sometimes I hit the web or do a google search, or use the navigation feature. We're not talking heavy user here.

My friends all make fun of me for my phone always dying or freezing. It happens so often that I can no longer defend it, and I am constantly being teased about how horrible my phone is.

The only pros I can think of is the screen is beautiful and the call quality is great. It does take nice photos too.

Come Jan 2013 I'm getting a Motorola Droid again.
on August 12, 2011
There are several sections to review about this phone: The phone and call quality, the Internet, and Media Hub.

I bought my first Samsung Charge about 6 weeks ago and already needed a replacement. The first one started acting up soon after I got it. It would "chirp" every few seconds during calls. I could hear this, but the other person I was talking to couldn't. Then, the sound would drop from the call even though the call itself still seemed in progress. The phone was still counting the time, but either I couldn't hear the other person, the other person couldn't hear me, or neither of us could hear the other. I would have to press End Call at this point. I would try to call back but still couldn't hear the phone ringing or the other person answer even though I know it rang at the other person's phone as they would text and ask what was going on. I finally turned it off and pulled the battery out for 30 seconds to reset the phone. I called my carrier (Verizon), and they had me reset the phone back to factory defaults. This briefly fixed the problem but the "chirping" returned, then the dropped sound returned. Verizon has since given me a replacement which I have used for about 5 days. So far, so good. However, the call quality of this high-end phone doesn't seem to be much better than my previous phone, the LG Chocolate. (See other 1-star reviews about the sound dropping out.)

The Internet and some of the apps are quite fun. I like that I can download and surf using WiFi or 4G. The WiFi doesn't cut into my data package, which is nice to know even though I have unlimited data at this time. The phone doesn't always stay on 4G, though, sometimes going to 3G. This doesn't always depend on the area as I have had it go from 4G to 3G in the same room in my house. I have only had an issue with one website that streams video as this site says my "platform" cannot handle the streaming from their site. Others, however, have worked fine. I stream some TV shows from sites like TBS.com, and they are fairly smooth with only a few streaming/buffering problems here and there. But, overall, not bad for a little phone. I have had other people look at the screen and think the picture is great, but I think it is decent, so this could be debated, but the picture is still decent to very good depending on what you are streaming or playing.

Now, for the ugly: Media Hub. BEWARE OF THIS PROGRAM. This program came with the phone and is used for purchasing movies and TV shows from Samsung. I had a $25 gift card that I redeemed and downloaded my first movie for $9.99. This worked fine with no problems. I went to purchase another movie for $9.99. This movie will not download even though Samsung took the $9.99 for it. I called them, and they said someone would call in 24-48 hours. When I finally got a call, I was told to reset Media Hub and call back if I couldn't download the movie. I couldn't, so I called them back. They said someone checked it, and the movie file is fine. I told them it downloads 533 MB out of 815 MB, stalls, then restarts the download. I asked for a refund so I could try another movie. I was told that now, since I am asking for a refund, I'd get a call in 4-5 business days! I never got that call. I have e-mailed them. Their response e-mails tell me to call. I call and am told someone will call back in 24-48 hours! This has been going on for 4 weeks now. It is obvious at this point Samsung has no intention of refunding my $9.99 they stole from me through their Media Hub. My last e-mail told them that they lost a customer over $9.99. They responded by thanking me for being a loyal customer! That just shows that they don't read e-mails or listen to customers. I was thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab, but after this, I know that there would be absolutely no customer support should I have a problem with it, so I'll go elsewhere for any electronics in the future. Samsung's customer service number should be 1-800-DO-NOTHING!

Final advice: If you can wait until the 4G phone issues are worked out, I'd advise that. After I got my phone, I was told that 4G is still new technology with new technology bugs, so I'd advise waiting for the phones to come up to speed. Then, I'd advise you to look elsewhere for a phone. Your carrier might help with physical phone issues, but don't count on any help from Samsung - you'll be on your own.

Edit: I've called Samsung since approximately 7/12/11 regarding the Media Hub issue. As of 8/23/11, they finally reimbursed me for the $9.99 movie that didn't download. I will say, they gave me a $25 credit instead of just $9.99.
on September 13, 2011
This is a beautiful phone -- works great and I agree with the glowing reviews, except:

#1 -- It's underpowered, in that the battery doesn't keep it running all day, or even for 12 hours. Yes, I am a heavy user, using wi-fi, 4g, Lookout, but, still, I seem to be getting only about 6 hours without the need for a charge. This is notably larger and heavier than my Samsung Vibrant (on which the USB port broke 1 month after warranty ran out, but I digress), so it seems likely they could have further beefed up the battery. On my Vibrant, I could have added one of those fat backs for a bigger batter, and it would have seemed OK. Adding that to the back of my bigger, heavier Charge Droid would be too much.

#2 -- It's underpowered, in that the processor can't keep up with the apps. The nightmare is receiving a call, with the phone vibrating, but too it is too busy doing some !@#$%^&*! other thing to allow me to actually answer the call. I had to root my Vibrant, to flash a better Android, to stop that problem. I thought surely, with Samsung having another year to develop phones, this would never happen with my Charge Droid. I did root the Charge Droid, so I could freeze the bloatware, and figured that would be enough, but the 3rd call I got I could not answer. So, I flashed a new Android, and now it's lovely. Flashing the phone took me hours to figure out how to do (then, finally, doing it was relatively quick and easy). If you want a full featured phone, but don't plan to root & flash, I'd recommend you get either an iphone, or something with a dual processor.
on June 17, 2011
Samsung Droid Charge is awesome!! Beautiful screen, light weight, good battery life, amazing 8mp camera oh and 4G LTE!! I get an average of 15.34mbs download speed and 6.47mbs upload speed with Verizon true 4G network.