Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now DOTD

on May 12, 2014
I had high hopes for this phone as it was my first smart phone and my hopes were quickly dashed when I started using this piece of junk from Samsung. The battery can barely last a few hours and if you take photos with the phone, it will drain from 100% to 0% in just a few hours. The sound quallity is ok for phone calls, but battery life is awful. Not sure what Samsung was thinking when they released this phone. Please don't buy this phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2011
I am enjoying my new Droid Charge. Being a bit of a novice with smartphones I thought the 4G LTE sim card was the same as the SD card that comes preloaded on the phone. Well, inadvertantly , I had a slight problem with one of the cards and my problem was resolved very quickly and beyond my expectations, so hats off to Amazon Wireless customer service. I will continue to do business here ( oh yeah, prices are great too !! )
on August 18, 2012
If you need a device to do things on the web with 4g, this is an OK device.

If you need a phone (particularly if you're using it for business), don't trade in your flip phone.

This thing drops calls, CONSTANTLY drops audio, mis-dials, does stupid things with your contact list (like moving contacts around randomly), etc.

Truly a piece of crap (as a telephone).
on October 21, 2011
This is one of the worst pieces of technology I have worked with. It stalls out, does not sync email with exchange (HUGE PROBLEM) and overall not user friendly. I had this phone for three weeks and went through 3, finally switched to a different product.
on April 19, 2013
Ahh, where to begin with this hunk of junk.

Let's start with the beginning almost 2 years ago. Within only a few days, the phone was noticeably slower. But, whatever, I figured that happens with all phones. Over the next 2 years, a laundry list of problems has developed that has made me despise my phone to the point that I want to go "Office Space" on it once my upgrade comes in about 2 months.

-Let's see, I would say about 1/2 of the times I use the flash on the camera, it freezes the phone entirely, forcing me to pull the battery out to get it restarted.

-It constantly locks up and restarts itself.

-I would say... 80% of the phone calls I try to make freezes the "Dialer". Whenever it freezes the Dialer, 1 of 2 things happens. Either, it makes a phone call to the number I was trying to reach and gave up on about 5-10 minutes later and I only notice once I hear voices coming from my pocket, or it never makes any call at all. Pick your poison on that one.

-Forget trying to connect it to the PC to transfer files... it doesn't even get recognized anymore. Don't know at what point that problem started.

-Lately, texts from friends aren't coming through. I'll get texts from friends asking why I'm not responding to them, if I'm mad at them, or why I'm ignoring them? That's quite frustrating when your gf send you a list of groceries to pick up on the way home and you never get it and immediately get yelled at after walking in from work. Thanks Samsung...

-Opening any app slows the thing down to a crawl.

-I have 2 games on the thing (I figured keeping it light would make it work better), but the one freezes about half of the time, so I just have to get rid of that now too.

-The keyboard doesn't seem to want to work the majority of the time. It'll recognize me touching the letters, it just won't input them into the message bar. The only way to fix that is to lock it, wait about 5 minutes and try again. Good times.

So... there's more, I just don't feel like typing anymore. All-in-all, I'd say the Droid Charge the droid charge isn't just the worst phone I've ever owned, it's one of the worst electronic devices I've ever owned, period. Good riddance...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2012
I got this phone 2-months ago for 1 penny from Amazon. Verizon wanted $100...I waited to review until I got used to the phone and could give an honest review, instead of those people who give crappy reviews because they haven't gotten used to the phone...

Anyhow...This is an excellent phone. I made sure to get all the updates done the day I activated it. I restored my back-up from my Droid X and didn't lose a single contact. I made Diverse sound profiles so that I could tell who was calling and associated their text and social media profiles to my calling profile.

The battery lasts around 6 hours with all the gadgets turned on, (which is better than the Droid X) such as wireless, bluetooth and 4G. I get 10 to 14 hours if I turn off Bluetooh, and only a smidge more if I turn off Wireless. Compared to the Droid X this is a superstar phone...The screen is MUCH better, brighter, and displays many more vibrant colors (Super - AMOLED vs Moto Crapola). The microphone is better at understanding voice commands, and it comes with a 32GB Micro SD Card. The calls sound way better, too, IMO. Pair that with a nice headset (I used the Aliph 2nd gen Jawbone), and you are golden.

The android experience is better than the Droid X as more apps seem to be compatible with it. I got a case and a Car Charger for free from Amazon so 5 STARS to them too.

So far this phone has outshined all others I have had. 4G is awesome! I love how easily I can go to Hulu or Vudu or Netflix or...and stream movies. I was able to get an unlimited data plan as I have been grandfathered in so I'm not worried about that. The quality of playback are phenomenal, unlike the Droid X, there were no stutters or stops when acting as a Hot Spot through my wireless at home. And this phone has mirror mode so what you see on-screen you can see on your HDTV through a micro-HDMI port on the phone. As far as using it as a Hot-Spot, I have connected my Blueray, Wii, XBox, and HDTV to it at the same time and they have all performed flawlessly as described by Samsung.

The only thing, and it is VERY minor IMO, is that when the phone is on with a headset the screen sleeps after 30 seconds...there is a fix, which requires you to "touch" the screen, but that sort of defeats the purpose of hands-free communication...If anyone knows of a better workaround please post it so I can "fix" and "educate" myself better.

Overall I give the phone 5-Stars, because for my experiences with Blackberry Storm 2 (Waste of Money at any price)and Moto Droid X (too Slow), this phone rocks...Obviously it will be slower than a phone with a dual-core processor, but I didn't have one so I can't comment on that.

Get this phone if upgrading from a single core processor and you with love it...if you already have dual core, move to the Samsung Nexus, as that phone is just awesome, even when compared to the greatness of the Samsung Droid Charge.

Good Luck!
on May 24, 2012
Added in edit 06/02/2012: Got the new phone. It's a marked improvement. I'm now happy. See the rest of the review. I'm holding off on awarding 5 stars because while this phone is a great improvement and one I'll be happy to have for the next two years, my sense is that the Charge I used for comparison is even clearer, which is also the sense of that phone's owner. This suggests that there is considerable variation among phones. This is cause for concern. Once one chooses a particular model, the quality of the phone one receives should not be a lottery.

Kudos to Amazon for the way the replacement was handled. One short phone call resolved everything.

Added in edit 05/27/2012: The title of this review was "Wonderful! Wonderful! ...except for the fidelity" but I became so disgusted with the phone that I tried swapping phones with someone else with a Charge. That phone sounds as clear as a bell! So, I called Amazon and am having a replacement shipped to arrive 5/30. More to be revealed...

I upgraded to this phone from my Samsung Fascinate. It's met my all of expectations save one--the fidelity of the calls is not very good.

I liked my Fascinate but we grew apart due to its slow processor. I was pushed over the edge by the Fascinate's unpredictable auto-reboot even when I had the phone on silence in seminars. Since one of my sons was not planning on upgrading in the near future, I swapped his current upgrade eligibility with my September eligibility on my family plan to get the Charge. I've been happy in every way but one--the audio quality of phone calls is poor.

I like Samsung phones. The picture is crisp. The Charge's dual core processor means my live Koi pool wallpaper doesn't stutter. (I'd had to remove it from my Fascinate, which couldn't handle it.) No auto-reboot.

I had hundreds of apps on my Fascinate, which no doubt was part of the problem. I've been very careful with the Charge to install only apps that I'll use. No power savers. No task killers. I get through the day with one battery charge, no problem.

I find myself frustrated when owners report short battery life without explaining what's killing the battery. Settings/About Phone/Battery Use reveals exactly what has been using the battery. (Right now, I'm down to 72% after 7h 9m 58s since last charge. 36% of usage has gone to the display, 30 to cell standby, and so on. I've learned from my Fascinate and stick with the standard email app, checking my IMAP server only once an hour, since I'm almost always at a computer. I found that K-9 on the Fascinate with Push was often responsible for half of my battery use.)

If Settings/About Phone/Battery Use is too awkward, there are apps that one can install that will get you to the information faster. There's one in the AppStore, but, call me old-fashioned, I don't care for the name, so I got one elsewhere.
review image review image
on May 3, 2012
I purchased this phone shortly before Verizon eliminated the unlimited data plan almost a year ago. The phone was brand new with the HTC Thunderbolt being the only other Android 4G phone available. I lived in a 4G area, but worked in a 3G area. Since the phone was new, it was at the introductory price (almost $300). I don't think the phone was worth that value (nor even worth getting). My various problems with the phone are listed below:

1. Limited upgrades from Samsung. This was my first smartphone, and I knew nothing about Android versions. After a few months it became obvious there were system issues. The phone ALWAYS dropped connectivity when leaving a 4G area and various system programs would crash. After 6 months, we finally received an "upgrade". The upgrade for the phone was for Gingerbread and not the newer Ice Cream Sandwich OS. While some issues were fixed, I am disappointed that users have not received support from Samsung/Verizon. Additionally, it appear the phone will never get Ice Cream Sandwich, which means I will never buy a Samsung phone again.

2. Battery usage - Don't listen to the lies. It is less than 12 hours with a fully charged factory battery. On a bad day, the battery lasts less than 8 hours. It has always been this way. My problem with this is I would leave for work in the morning and routinely lose cell signal while trying to arrange dinner. God forbid, I ever have a car breakdown at night. I started carrying around a second battery, and it is a constant reminder of how stupid I am for buying this phone. What is so stupid about this is that it would be dead by 8PM without me even using the phone one time throughout the day. I'm sorry, but I believe a phone should be able to survive 12+ hours on standby....

3. Connectivity and GPS issues. Originally the phone would have to be restarted when switching from a 4G to 3G area. This has lessened with the update; however, I did not enjoy living with it for 6+ months. The phone still has GPS issues where maps will not work 100% of the time. Sometimes requiring a force close of the program. I routinely have to force close Verizon's Backup Assistant.

4. No flashing light to notify of new messages.

5. TONS of bloatware that you can't delete (another reason why I will never buy a Samsung phone).

Call quality has been OK.
4G is fast (when available)
Colorful graphics/video are wonderful (probably why the battery dies so fast)
Camera quality is sufficient for both front and rear facing
I have been able to fine accessories that work well with the phone (case, cover, back up battery).
on February 7, 2012
The Samsung Droid Charge is my first smart phone. It has a wonderful 4G connection for data that is very, very fast. The screen is great. The major drawback is the battery. With the 4G on, the battery life is somewhere between 4-6 hours typically.

This phone really acts like a mini-tablet with phone capabilities. When I first had this phone, I was troubled by the poor quality of battery life. I am not the only one, since if you do a search, you can find plenty of secondary vendors offering huge battery packs for the phone. I did some research about two months after having the phone and I found the solution: turn off the 4G.

Turning off the 4G is pretty simple. Use the drawdown menu at the top of the phone screen and turn off the data. With the data off, it behaves like any other phone and you can get 48 hours of standby time.

Other issues I encountered with this phone are the dizzying array of apps for preserving power. The biggest problem: they interfered with the 4G operation. I have dumped them all. I am my own juice defender now.

The other issue with 4G is the apps use the 4G constantly, contributing to the battery drain. Many of the apps push data into the phone constantly. I am still trying to figure out how to tailor these apps to use the 4G only when I need it. The easiest fix is to turn off the 4G when I am not using it.

The phone is pretty big, but I am working around that issue. If you have a big screen, the phone is going to be big, no matter how thin it is.

Overall, I would rate this phone as inferior to the iPhone 4S (my spouse's), but a lot of it comes from a lack of manuals and technical support. You have to work with this phone; the phone does not work with you. If there were some more support when you buy this phone, expectations would be different. As it is, you have to learn the "ins and outs" of this phone. Comparatively, I do not believe my spouse ever thought twice about her iPhone 4S.

I have now had the phone nearly 2 years. Some of the issues with the phone are still issues today. This is a 1st generation 4G phone and had a lot of issues.
1. The power drain and battery life are terrible. I went from a cell phone with 2 weeks of stanby time and 5 hours of talk time to a phone with 4 hours of standby time and 2 hour of talk time. The Droid Charge is well below my expectations in this part and is the biggest failure of the phone. Shame on you Samsung for sending out a substandard product.
2. The 4G surfing is wonderful and quick. I cannot imagine going back to a slower phone with 3G. However, while the 4G is everywhere now, it was only in a few select cities when I bought the phone. When not in a 4G area, the power drain is especially high and the phone can get HOT.
3. In fact, the only way you know something is not right with your phone is because it becomes HOT. The apps run regardless of how you try to manage them. When they are downloading when you are sitting on a subway or in a meeting, the hotter the phone becomes. This is not a good thing because the hotter your phone gets the less battery life you have.
4. The audio quality is poor and became worst over time. Aside from the battery, this is next biggest flaw in the phone. I had much better sound quality from Motorola and Blackberry phones. As a primary function, this failure is inexcusible. Shame on you Samsung.
5. The Android OS is excellent, but good luck getting updates. The phone came out a month or two before the "gingerbread" OS update, but it took nearly 6 months to receive the update. Whereas the Apple OS is updated regularly and increases functionality, Android is basically WYSIWYG when you buy it. Samsung is not in the business to update the OS, but to sell you new phones. Shame on you Samsung, you turned me away from your products.
on November 27, 2011
Most of my comments will be in relation to my original Motorola Droid which I loved when I got it but it seemed to get slower and slower, I've even gone back to factory defaults to get it to run, finally rooted it and upped the clock speed which helped but it was having other problems too and needed to be replaced.

Before the review let me vent a little, I've been a Verizon customer over 10 years with two plans, one for my work so I could write it off separately from a family plan we have for my wife and kids. We pay them far too much every month! I'm still mad that a new customer can come in and get a new Razr Droid or Bionic phone for free via amazon and other places but for a long time existing customer who pays on two accounts for years has to pay nearly $300.00 to get the latest Droid or iPhone. If I jump carriers then I can get a free phone at some other company, I know people jump every two years because of this so LISTEN UP Verizon and everyone else, your loyalty programs is not working! Reward us for staying not for leaving!

Anyway I wanted to vent to a Verizon salesmen who stopped me at my local Sams Club on Black Friday and he told me about the $1.01 (after taxes) deal for a Droid X2 or a Samsung Charge. I did not want the Charge but it was a big improvement over my original Droid so I made the leap. So far I'm happy, here are my observations:

Its lighter than my old phone despite having a much larger screen.
The battery seems to last twice as long as my Motorola Droid did, even when it was new.
Its fast!
4G is super fast, although it's not everywhere I go, the 3G and wifi seem faster in rural areas because the phone is so much faster itself.
The screen is large, bright and super sharp. I watched a movie on it streaming and it looked great!
Skyping is great with the front camera and works very well.
I love the camera, its fast and the pictures look great! Surprisingly bright and clear.
A little thinner than my old phone.
Upgraded interface is nice too.
I love and hate the permanent dock that houses the phone and other icons. (see con below) It's a faster way to get to the phone (hey thats what I actually use mine for most of the time) and it loads faster than the main desktops so I really appreciate the speed up!

What were they thinking putting the power/lock button on the right side? I lock my phone constantly as it's exactly where your thumb hits. I'll get used to it but what a dumb design.
I hate the clicking return and home buttons, It's a little thing but its like hitting a button twice so it seems like a slower function than it was on my old phone.
Predictive typing slows me down. I type fast enough on the virtual keyboard, but the predictive typing is often wrong and a pain to override. I'll have to turn it off, this might not me this phone's problem as much as one of the version of the Android os (2.20)
Where is the camera button? I can't locate it, my old phone had a dedicated one, on this phone it much be from the screen I think.
Okay this is Verizon's fault but what a load of bloat wear! I mean there are more than a dozen apps they have pre-installed that you cannot delete, that are only usable if you pay for them! Sure I can root this phone, void the warranty and delete them. Most of them are bad apps anyway, that likely paid Verizon to force them on us. There is like 4 music players alone! So I've moved all the garbage to a folder and off the desktops to hide them but they are still there wasting my time and SC card space.
I love/hate the dock that holds the phone, contacts, messages, and applications icons. I also love it as it's faster to get to these, but I can't find a way to edit this dock to get rid of messages and applications which I rarely use and would rather replace them with Chomp and a browser icon. Great Idea, poorly executed.

All in all I think the Razr and Bionic are better and more refined phones but for the deal I go I'm happy. I still think service is over priced by 200%, and I am still mad that thy punish loyalty and reward fickle carrier jumping, and put a lot of junk on the phone they know most people don't use or want but as to the phone itself I'm happy with it and I'm sure I will like for 18 months and then hope I can finally find a deal on a new iPhone or Motorola that does not penalize me for loyalty.