Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on May 29, 2012
This is a letter I wrote to the company:

I just wanted to send you this note to tell you how very disappointed I am with the Summer baby monitors. My oldest child is two years old, and we have now gone through three very expensive monitors. We have never dropped, spilled on, or mistreated any of our units, yet all three have gone kaput on us.

The first was a video monitor that from the first day was crummy. The speakers were so sensitive that if it was on the lowest volume setting, the sound of our son's breathing caused loud feedback.

Our second and third were dual video monitors for my two sons' rooms. The first of these died five months after we got it. This one was graciously replaced by your company, but today, seven months later, it has died. I've heard of planned obsolescence, but this is ridiculous.

We won't be buying another Summer product again, but I wanted you to know how disappointed we are. We'll be spreading the word to our friends as well.
on August 31, 2013
For the first year and a half, I loved this monitor. I even told friends to register for this one over Motorola. After about a year and a half, my opinion changed dramatically. This monitor has never had great battery life, but that wasn't too big of a deal since my son didn't take long naps and we would charge it at night. At around the year and a half mark, the battery suddenly would not hold a charge for more than an hour, if that. And then about a month later, it would often not teven charge at all, even when plugged in, and sometimes we can't get the monitor to turn on. If you only plan on having one child and only using it for a year and a half or so, then this monitor is great. If you plan on using it for multiple children, look for a different monitor.
on September 24, 2013
The handheld video part on this thing feels like a toy, it's so lightweight and flimsy. After only a month the video "on/off" button stopped working! So we are going to burn a picture into the screen at some point soon I'm sure. I am so annoyed that all of their monitors work differently with the cameras. We had the slim & secure for a while too and the video part just burnt a big black spot in the screen out of no where. That one felt a lot more like a real monitor and less like a little fake toy video. So now I have 2 cameras and no monitor and they will replace cameras but not the monitors which is what seems to break so easily! Very annoying, what a waste of money.
on August 15, 2012
Overall we've been pretty happy with this product. We have been using it for about a year and a half. Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
-Good price point for video monitors
-appealing design, fits nice in my hand, compact (visitors are always interested in it)
-reliable, always works for us

Cons:
-Our plug to charge the battery broke pretty quickly... luckily we had others that fit from other digital products so it worked out fine
-Short range (only works for half of our back yard)... we bought a used audio-only monitor for $10 on craigslist and it goes at least 5-10 times as far. Could be that video monitors have short range...?
-Our monitor never really stood itself up well, keeps falling over, so we just lay it flat and only look into it every once in awhile

We've had some ups and downs but overall we're pretty happy with it. It meets most of our needs and we couldn't afford more expensive models so it does the job well.
on April 16, 2012
The first monitor broke within 1 month of use- the talk back feature would not work. We sent it back to Summer Infant and they sent a replacement. 4 days after using the replacement, the monitor stopped working in the middle of the night. I woke at random to check on my newborn baby, only to discover that it was not working. I would not have been able to hear the baby if she had cried during that time. The monitor would not turn on or off- just had a blue screen. We were going to send it back, but then when the battery died and we plugged it in the next day, it suddenly worked again. We gave it another shot. 2 weeks later, the same thing happened and the monitor stopped working in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. I called Summer Infant and there was no apology for the 2 failed products. They were not concerned that this "safety" tool had failed. I asked for a refund, but was told that I could only exchange it for another of the same model!! Despite having had 2 failed monitors in the same month!!! I said that I did not want the same model as it was unreliable and not safe. I had to argue with the customer service rep who refused to let me speak to a supervisor or manager. Finally, she said they would "bend the rules" and let me get a different monitor, but I had to pay the difference in price. The price she quoted me for the alternate monitor was $35 more than the cost of the monitor on Amazon.com
Long story short- this monitor is crap and can't be trusted. The company does not seem to care about customer satisfaction or child safety. Nor do they stand by their products. DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR- GO WITH THE MOTOROLA BRAND!!!!!! Better product or significantly better customer care.
on June 17, 2012
I want to preface this with: This is not the exact model we have. I am not able to find our model on Amazon, but it is still available from other websites. This model is the most current model and ours in two years old - but it's the same thing. With that said.... We have used this product every day of our daughters life and she is almost 2 years old. I have ZERO complaints. If I would have known there was a protector sleeve to put the handheld monitor in, I would've got that from the beginning. Between it falling off a table/couch or my daughter playing with it, the handheld part has some bumps and bruises. But it still works just fine! It was super easy to install and we have had ZERO problems. I came back and decided to write this review while I'm looking to buy another video piece since we are expecting our new addition this year and want a video for each of the kiddos. You can add up to 4 cameras total for the handheld... so one for each baby, one for the playroom with room to grow! And it's easy to click through each camera view on the handheld so you can quickly check each camera. I'm hoping that I will still be able to buy an extra video and they're not discontinued or something. The picture is clear, the sound is great - even in the middle of the night, I can see my baby clear as day. I haven't used any other video monitors so I cannot compare, but we've had such a great experience with this one I will definiately stay with this line of products!!
on August 25, 2013
I bought this set for $99 at TJ Maxx when I was pregnant with our second child. Thought it was a great deal for a video monitor and we had wanted one for our first child but didn't want to spend a ton. It has been a great video monitor for the price we paid. We bought a second camera for our toddler so we can keep an eye on her as well. It's so nice to check on each of our kids without the worry of disturbing their sleep. I don't know how we managed without them when our oldest was a baby!

A few complaints: the battery capacity sucks! Maybe only last 3 or 4 hours, but that's not too big of a deal since we charge it every night in our bedroom. Also the viewer sometimes freezes up and won't turn off. Quick fix is turn off the camera and take the battery out of the viewer and then put back in and it's working again.

All in all a great viedo monitor for the price!
on December 6, 2013
Would not recommended this to anyone. We've had this monitor since August 2012 and this week (15 months later) it will no longer hold a charge. Very disappointing to spend a lot of money on something that didn't last. When the monitor was working it was good enough, however when the volume was turned up at all it makes a strange white noise that comes in and out (while being completely silent in the kid's rooms). Look for something better than this!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
I wanted monitors for two rooms, read the reviews thought this would be a good match, and boy was I wrong. My daughters room is relatively dark during the day and so when I turned light off, I couldn't see anything and couldn't get the monitor to work and it wouldn't pick up second camera. So disappointed with this product! Back to square one of looking for a great monitor for two rooms.
on February 2, 2013
As other reviewers have commented, these monitors freeze. This is a huge safety issue because it a monitor freezes, then you can neither see nor hear your baby. Given the number of people who have written about this, we can assume that the problem is common and the result of irresponsible production, sub-par materials, mediocre engineering...it's just a terrible product. We had the same problem, only compared to other people, when ours freezes (which it started to do literally, within a month after removing it from the packaging) the video screen goes gray. Perhaps the company 'fixed' the problem in that they made it so when it freezes, you KNOW it's frozen (as opposed to it freezing with the image of the baby on it, in which case you wouldn't realize it's frozen); however, you'll only know if you see it. If you're using the monitor for sound, then nothing will come out. Again, HUGE safety problem--and if your baby isn't sleeping in your room and/or you're not a light sleeper, it is entirely possible that you won't hear your baby crying if it freezes in the middle of the night (this happened to us--the DOG finally came and woke us up). And this freezing problem happens AT LEAST once a week. We're looking for a replacement.

There are other aspects to the monitor that make it bad--the battery life is terrible (3 hours), the image isn't that clear, the feedback is awful. Couple this with atrocious customer service (no responses to emails and I was on hold for 12 minutes by phone the first time and 23 minutes the second time before I gave up), and it's bad, bad, bad all around. This is the only Summer Infant product I've ever owned and that's how it's gonna stay!

If you have $100+ to spend on a baby monitor, buy something else. Hell, even if you only have $50 to spend on a baby monitor, you'll find something better. DON'T BUY THIS.