Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

on August 30, 2011
This is the 5th smartphone I have owned since early 2005, and the best by far. I fell in love with it immediately.

I was a bit nervous about two things: 1. The call quality issue mentioned by other reviews. 2. This would be my first phone withtout a keyboard. Now, they have turned out to be non-issues. I have used it for a week, and made a dozen calls, and have never noticed any problem. I did have some problem initially with the virtual keyboard. My fat index finger often touched the key adjacent to the intended one. I have learned that the phone needs to be in landscape mode for fat fingers.

I was anxious to find out how well the phone works with Bluetooth headsets because my previous phone was so poor in this regard that I wasted two headsets before finding out it was the phone problem. I got a Motorola HS820 and it works great with this phone. What a relief! I prefer talking with a wireless headset.

I am amazed by how quick the setup process is. I transferred my number from Sprint, which I love (a long story), to AT&T Wireless. I thought that I would lose service for one or two days, but I probably did not lose it for a single minute as far as I am concerned. OK, this may not have anything to do with the phone. However, I used my Windows Live ID for sync. My contacts, calendar, emails were synchronized instantly over the air, not through a cable. I started using the phone as productively as my previous phone within 2 hours after opening the package (I ordered the phone from Amazon on Friday evening, and got it on the following Monday).

I love the large display. The screen is very responsive to touch and click.

The battery seems to be on the short side. I am not sure what affects the battery life because it appeared to last longer initially, but got shorter after I added more email accounts, turned on Bluetooth, added more apps.

I should disclose that I have never owned an iPhone because I never buy a phone which software and hardware are controlled by the same company. I am pro-selection and pro-competition. Therefore I cannot speak using an iPhone as the reference.

Update (2011-08-31): I have noticed that keeping Bluetooth on reduces the battery life by at least 50%.
on August 8, 2011
Great Windows Mobile phone and WP7 is a great OS. The apps for WP7 are catching up to others quickly and sites with mobile versions function well and look great on the outstanding display. The phone reception is great, the HD7 S has better reception, "bars", and sound than my past iPhones.
on June 28, 2011
Solid Windows Mobile phone. Great screen with good colors. The phone reception is good, no one has complained about not hearing me and I can hear on it perfectly.

The only complaint I would have about it is the camera. It could be better. Not terrible, but some pictures come out looking washed out or just not quite in focus.
VINE VOICEon October 30, 2011
I switch to Windows Phone 7 (WP7) from BlackBerry Bold (BB). The 4.3" screen size is big and gorgeous, slightly larger than ATT Galaxy S or Verizon Droid X. WP7 is rich in animation and smooth screen transitions (sometimes I think it is too much). It is completely a different experience from BB. However, I have the following aggravations and complaints about WP7 and HTC HD7:
(1) poor battery performance
(2) weak quality of speaker phone
(3) does not support T-mobile UMA network. I brought my BB overseas and called home via the hotel wi-fi network with no international charge. No need to use Skype or third party app because T-mobile supports UMA network.

One of the beauties of BB is the real keyboard. Obviously HTC HD7 does not have it. I program each key in the BB keyboard to speed dial. I just hold the key then the phone dials the programmed number. There is a dedicated button to enable speaker phone. I miss those features. I can do the same thing in WP7 with more clicks and taps. There is no "one-touch" speed dial like BB. The virtual keyboard of WP7 is not bad. I need to familiarize it.

To copy pictures and media files from PC to WP7, I use Zune Software. Anyway, I already install it to synch with Zune media player. The syncing procedure is much simpler than Microsoft Active Sync (for Windows Mobile 6.5 or earlier). Zune is also useful for download and install apps from Marketplace. I prefer to shop for apps and install the apps into WP7 from Zune software. If I use WP7 to listen music, there is an annoying silent gap (a few seconds) between one track to the next one.

Favorite features of Windows Phone Mango 7.5:
(1) Integration with LinkIn and Facebook is really worth it. However, you cannot import FB friend lists.
(2) Live Tile enables instant notification of FB updates.
(3) Voice dictation for messaging.
(4) Bing search bar scanning and price finding.
(5) Improved Office with SkyDrive (Microsoft cloud storage)
on November 16, 2011
I have had this phone for about 2 weeks now and am really enjoying it. It feels very well made in hand and the windows phone 7 operating system is quite slick looking.....the most appealing interface I have seen by far. The call quality has been good so far, not great. I can't blame this on the phone though because my home seems to be in a tower free zone or something(LOL)...every phone I have owned has had reception problems in my home. I should have a better feel for the reception in a few more weeks, and then I will update this review. Everything else on the phone works great, it picks up wireless networks in seconds and sync's with my car right away. I just absolutely love the windows phone 7 system, I hope it catches on in a big way. Most everyone I have shown the phone to says Wow, I didn't know windows phone 7 looked so cool and worked so well. I had a Blackberry Torch before this phone and I really liked it originally. Unfortunately over time I noticed a few constant glitches in the phone, it would freeze up regularly and start scrolling for no reason, but the biggest gripe I had was that I had to pull the battery out every time I bought a new app. I can't for the life of me figure out why they have you reboot the system after buying an app? Every time you pull the battery out to reboot it goes back to default settings on alot of things and completely rearranges your start screen you have to go back and rework everything all the time. It's quite the party killer if you ask me and I don't know why I am rambling on about Blackberry right now? (LOL) Anyhow, this HTC HD7S is a great phone and I highly recommend it!!!
on September 8, 2011
It has turned a full circle for my experience with Windows mobile OS, it was the first ever Os of a smart phone I owned and since then, I have used WebOS, iOS, Android, and iOS in that order. And now it is Windows Mobile 7 again on HTC HD7S. My initial experiences with this one are fantastic. The OS flows through very smoothly and the user interface beats even that of WebOS. Just a day into using the phone, should have a detailed review up soon.
on October 6, 2011
Solid phone.
WP7 metro UI is amazing. Elegant and intuitive.
Good form factor.
Very snappy performance.

and Zune is awesome
on July 23, 2011
I recently upgraded my phone, and initially picked an HTC HD7S, mostly liking the integration with MS Office. Windows Phone 7 is slick and very easy to use. I liked it immediately.

Office integration could be a lot better. Syncing options for Word docs are non-existent for most users (need Sharepoint, although Skydrive integration supposedly will come with Mango). I did eventually figure out that by e-mailing myself Word docs I could open them in Mobile Office, save a local copy, edit that, then e-mail it back to my desktop. Also, to sync with OneNote you need OneNote 2010. Since I use 2007, that did not work very well. But ultimately those were things I could live with given the ease of use of the rest of the OS.

What killed it for me was the awful call quality. Volume is very low and the microphone has a design defect that causes a steady background static you can hear on calls, like wind rushing over the microphone. Other reviewers have commented on this, including ZDNet and PCMag. I should have done more researched and listened. The only way to get rid of the static was to cover the microphone with a finger, and then the person on the other line could not hear what I was saying! After two days, I exchanged the phone for an Atrix, which so far is working nicely, although the OS is not as slick as Windows Phone 7.