Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 1, 2013
I purchased two HTC Evo 4g 3D phones in November 2011. One was for me and the other was my husband.

Oh sure, out of the box these phones were gorgeous. Seemed very sturdy, big pretty screen, beautiful graphics, etc. etc. But all of this has been a horrible, horrible trap to the truth about these phones. It makes me extremely nervous to ever get another HTC phone ever again, of any make or model.

First off, these phones overheat. This is a known issue. If you talk for more than 5 minutes, play a game for 5 minutes, or anything that takes about 5 minutes, it will start to get a bit hot.

Another odd issue, one of the phones would constantly reboot itself randomly for no reason. It would do this 3-4 times a day, every day. This began around May of 2012. It would even do it when you were in the middle of a phone call. This phone was the first one to become useless.

Around August 2012, my phone started to have digitizer issues. I use my phone a lot as I'm out of the house a lot. Also, I do the majority of the phone calls at my house. My husband isn't a big talker when it comes to the phone. So my phone was used more in the beginning. The digitizer problems escalated rather quickly, and within 3-4 weeks my phone became unusable without a great deal of frustration. The bottom third of the phone, where the unlock ring is, is where it's worst. Unlokcing the phone became a nightmare. Sometimes it would take over an hour to get it unlocked. Dialing numbers became impossible. The phone would type and text by itself. The screen would freeze up, sometimes for hours a time. Restarting, taking out the battery, all of this didn't help. Then, in an unfortunate acciden at the end of the November 2012, I dropped the phone so that it hit the edge of a chair on the screen, and the screen cracked. So, now I had broken digitizers and a cracked screen. So, my husband traded phones with me since I needed a phone more and we didn't have the money for a replacement.

So, I've been using my husband's phone since December 2012 and now it's April 2013. So 3.5 months. Now, the digitizers in this phone have stopped working the same as the first. It's in that beginning stages, where it's random. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But it's escalating quickly, just like before. The screen is starting to freeze up, texting by itself, doesn't respond to touch, can't unlock it. Again, it's the bottom third of the screen where it's worst, the part where you unlock the phone. So, my guess is that using this phone regularly is what breaks it.

The other problem with this particular phone, vs. the one I was using before, is that the phone speaker doesn't work. You can't hear anyone speaking unless you push the "speaker" button. I didn't have to do that with the first phone. It worked normally. This has always been an issue with this phone, right out of the box, but my husband didn't mind as he didn't need to talk much. He's more of a texter.

Now for the "durability" of the case. The first phone I used was fine. This second one is not. The whole outside of the case is coming unglued. Around the camera and the outer molding is just falling off. I'm not rough with the phone. It mostly sits on my desk. But carrying it in my pocket or purse seems to cause it to fall apart. But, I'm not rough but a couple of times I dropped it the screen seems very strong. Unless you drop it onto the corner of a chair.

Whatever you do, do NOT get this phone. As I said, having this experience with two phones now has made me very wary of HTC in general as I wonder if all of them have these digitizer problems.
on May 31, 2012
I really wanted to love this phone, and after using it for about 5 months, I still LIKE it, but I don't LOVE it.

What I like:

The phone's display is beautiful. I love the HTC-specific flavor of Android that is included on the EVO 3D. The phone is fast, and I don't suffer from any iPhone envy. In fact, just the opposite. I've had several iPhone users tell me that they loved the features on my phone. I love the built-in memory; my last Android phone suffered from not having enough internal memory, and I haven't had any trouble with the EVO 3D. I love watching Netflix on my phone, and I love how my contacts are integrated from Facebook and Google in the address book, and how my Facebook friends' birthdays show as events on my calendar.

What I'm neutral about:

The 4G service is nice, but I don't have 4G coverage at my work, or at my house, which is kind of a bummer, but isn't the phone's fault. The 3D camera is gimmicky. It is fun to show people how you can see 3D images on the screen, but I find that I mostly still take 2D images and almost exclusively take 2D videos. I don't have a 3D television, and can't see myself getting one in the near future, so the 3D technology is nifty, but not all that practical for me.

What I dislike:

I've had battery issues with this phone from day one. I got a bad battery to start with, and I had to go to a Sprint repair facility to get it fixed. The Sprint worker just took the battery out of his phone and put it in mine and sent me on my way. (That was weird. I guess he wanted the new battery for himself.) Several times when I've been charging the phone in my car, it has frozen. I have to take the battery out for a couple of hours for the phone to reset (even 30 minutes hasn't been long enough to allow the phone to re-start). Speaking of the battery, the battery life is terrible. If I allow background data, I have to re-charge my phone at lunch because the battery can't make it through the work day (and I don't use it that much in the office). Even if I don't allow background data, while the phone does fine while I'm at work, it is often dead by bedtime. On the weekends, when I use my phone more, the battery life is particularly frustrating. I guess that my hands are just too big, because several times each day, when holding the phone in my right hand, I reach with my index finger to put the phone in standby, and my pinky hits the home button at the same moment, and I take a screen shot, rather than turn the phone off. While it is cool that HTC allows to to easily take screen shots (Android, by default, doesn't include this functionality), it is frustrating that this happens so often to me. I also have found the touch-sensitive hardware buttons (Home, Menu, Back, and Search) frustrating. It is very easy to press one of these "buttons" by accident. The speaker is on the back (???) of the phone, making it very hard to listen to movies or music without headphones. Finally, I don't think I'm unusually hard on my phone: I'm an office worker and often keep the phone in my pants pocket, but the phone shows a lot of wear after only 5 months. The black paint around the rim of the front of the phone has worn off, making an almost continuous silver border. The metal trim around the glass started to detach on the lower left side of the phone. I had to super-glue it back on, which doesn't seem like the best solution, but it worked.

Summary:

Like I said, I like the phone, but I don't love it, though I really wanted to love it, but there are too many shortcomings. My next phone will still be an Android, but will likely be from a different manufacturer. I can upgrade in about 6 more months. I hope I can wait that long.
on October 20, 2011
Firstly multitasking is a breeze...I love how new android operating systems are Actually new and not just minor improvements(can't wait for "Ice Cream Sandwich" on this device). Dlna on this phone is great streaming movies and all sorts of media with all my devices gives me freedom to watch and see what I want when I want to. With this phone my kids love watching movies while I'm busy I know they are entertained the games are amazing 3d or not. It's such a fun device with developers making new apps daily for this device I won't get tired of it anytime soon. Ive had the new iPhone too and the battery on the new iPhone isn't very impressive. I used it just as much as I would in a normal day and the evo 3d would last longer for me. I've read about people who complain about the battery life but if you do a google search there are a couple of very interesting websites that have ways on how you can improve on the battery life and make it last much longer. Im not trying to start an android iOS war but I'm just saying that technology is moving very fast. The options in this phone are great for any person any age.....try to use this phone for a while and go out and use an iPhone.....you will then notice what I see and words are hard to describe. I'm not an apple hater aim posting this using my iMac. Its just an honest opinion from me. Some of the things I've said are available on other android devices but the only other 3d one is lg and thats not on the same carrier as my device so I have no comparison if I want all the choices plus glasses free 3d it's the Evo 3d for me!
on April 9, 2012
This is my first smartphone. I got to say that it is pretty powerful and gets the job done. The downside to this phone is that it lags a little sometimes and the battery life is below satisfaction. I would recommend getting a spare battery to carry around because it is a hassle if you run out of battery while you are on the road to a meeting or something important. There are a lot of pros to this phone. The 3D function is very neat and is something that you can show off to your friends. The processor is super fast and makes everything look very smooth. There is a pretty big screen so you can see pretty much everything on it. It is one of the better phones because of its design and the way it can do so many things. 3D pictures are my favorite. I would recommend this phone to anyone who wants to have a cool 3D feature or rather anyone who just wants a powerful phone that can get pretty much any job done.
on August 5, 2011
All the positive reviews on this phone truly make this an incredible phone and a pleasure to own. It is extremely fast and will play Sprint TV and video's without any buffering. So you ask why the 1 star rating? The speaker on this phone makes it impossible to hear. The camera spends so much time auto focusing that the pictures sometimes end up blurry. Now for the reason why this phone is not worth the money. I had this phone for 30 days. I live in the Dallas, TX area. I went to Lake Whitney which is 10 miles off the I-35 cooridor. I had no service with this phone. My wife who has a Blackberry 8330 curve had 3 bars and service. I turned off 4G and still no service. I called Sprint on my way home and they had me update the PRL's (cell towers) on this device. Soon I was getting no service inside or outside my house which is in Cedar Hill, TX with this phone while my wife's phone will get service. Called Sprint and they sent me an Airave device to get service in my house. The Evo 3D then would get all bars of sevice in the room with this device was in and as soon as would leave room it would go down to 2 bars. Plus it took 4 to 5 times to get it to connect to this device dialing *99. I took the phone to a Sprint Store where they tested this phone and said that there was no problems with this device and the antenna inside the phone was working properly. Meanwhile, I work in downtown Dallas where I could get 4G outside but would turn to 3G inside the building I work in. Also I was having problems gettig service inside the building where I did get sevice before with the same Blackberry my wife owns. While this might be one of the faster phone on the market and have great app's, it is viurtually useless if it does not get any service. And after all, Isn't this suppose to be a phone also? Good thing I didn't break down when I had no service. I have never taken in or traded in a phone before, but after paying $199 for this paper weight I decided to trade this phone in for the Motorola Photon. I get service with The Motorola in many dead spots that previous Sprint phones will not(especially the EVO 3D). I turned off the Airave in my house and get all bars of service. It may be lacking some of the features of the HTC EVO 3D, but I can hear the speaker on the phone. And best of all, I now have service again.
on May 1, 2014
My phone has a dead strip of screen along the ZXCVBNM keyboard row. This started after it was about 14 months old. Sporadic at first, becoming more frequent. Often I can't answer the phone because the unlock swipe passes over the dead spot on the screen. Can't text without turning screen sideways and QWASZ are constantly mistyping. Sometimes my phone will start swiping and typing by itself. The lock will jump over and over as the screen shorts and detects phantom touches. It has become useless. $300+ dollars down the drain.

The camera on this phone has always been abysmal. Colors are often wildly off. Blurs and softness abound. I didn't care about 3d. When I asked around people said HTC is know for crappy cameras in their phone.

I often don't get 4G, and if you travel say good buy to having a phone if you travel outside of metropolitan cities. I didn't have data access on my phone for weeks. I lost PHONE access heavily in northern michigan. I actually had to ask people if there was a public phone booth around. Because of this I ended up buying a Verizon pay-as-you-go phone while traveling around the U.S. I simply couldn't go days and weeks without phone service.

I wouldn't buy another HTC unless I got a big bargain and a warranty. Everything I liked about it was courtesy of Android, not specific to HTC. HTC specific hardware was bad.

Battery drain from the start was bad, as is usual amongst smart phones. I have a Samsung flip-phone. I charge it and it is good for most of the week.
on July 4, 2011
i've had this phone for a few days now and i have to say that I love it. I had the OG Evo and it was an awesome phone, but this phone has by far exceeded my expectations. the camera takes great pics (even though its an MP downgrade...8mp-5mp), the 3D (even though i'm not a fan of 3D) is a cool and different feature, the phone is super fast and the call quality is crisp, loud, and clear. my old evo's call quality wasn't the best and my only complaint on my OG evo was that the phone calls were too low for me. this phone doesn't have this problem. the calls are nice and clear. i love it. the battery is actually way better than the original evo. before i could only get maybe 8 hours or less and that was without me using it...my battery life was horrible on the OG evo. and with this phone the Evo 3D, as i type this my phone has been on for over 23 hours and i'm finally at 9% battery life. i put my battery through everything: calls, texts, 4G, wifi, surfed the internet, bluetooth...and its now that i have to charge my battery. i love this phone. if you are thinking about getting it do it, you won't regret it!!
on July 22, 2011
To be honest, the 3D is gimmicky, and shouldn't be a reason to buy this phone aside from the fact you can show off to your buddies once or twice. But everything else is fantastic. Very quick phone, 3G coverage seems heaps and bounds quicker than my previous phone (I rarely get on 4g). Battery life is amazing. If you activiate the power widget to your home screen, you can shut off the backlight on your screen when you don't need it, and your battery should last more than 24 hours with usage (facebook, words with friends, email). The screen is very nice, not as nice as the samsung screens, but if you arent comparing them side by side, it wouldnt even matter.

Other than that, i switched my keyboard to SwiftKeyX which i believe is better than the native keyboard app and SWYPE that comes preinstalled. For music, I am using google music (cloud based so no need for a lot of space).
on December 10, 2011
So i have had this phone since June and at first i loved it. It has a beautiful screen. The 3D is actually pretty nice. It is fun to take pics on it. I had no problem with it and then suddenly one day it turned into a nightmare. The camera stopped working. I have to literally take the battery out and put it back in to work. Then i had problems sending texts messages (which might be a sprint problem but i don't know). Also, the battery is awful! I mean it started going crazy. It was telling me it wasn't charging when it was plugged in correctly. Then when it should have a full battery life it would be telling me it was dying. I called sprint and they were helpful up to a point! Also it started to turn itself off and restarting itself. Now this may just be a faulty phone but i would wait until they release it! I got it when it first came out and sadly i think it needs some work before it turns out to be a great phone.
on November 25, 2014
OK.. how many Smartphones take and display 3d pictures without those
silly 50's B movie glasses????
Not only that but it has an EMF/Magnetic sensor so you can accurately locate stars,planets, and constellations at night or day.
It has a proximity sensor so you can't accidentally cheek dial when you hold it up to your face to speak.
All compass programs will work fast and accurately with it.
It has light sensor that can automatically adjust for room lighting.
It has a gyroscope and G-Force sensor that allow you to play balancing games.
The 3D display is large and easy to see.
Iv had it since 2011 and it's taken hits,bumps,bangs and still working perfectly.

For that.. I give a 5 star Amazon Rating.