Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on September 17, 2011
I purchased this laptop from Walmart, not Amazon, for $278.00, smoking price.
I never really buy computers because I usually build my own. Since you can't build your own laptop at $278.00
I had to give this one a shot. Needed a laptop just in case my desk top took a dump.
All the bad stuff everyone is saying about this is true, but once I reconfigured the operating system it works great,
the wifi is working fine, even for an old G router I am using.
It took about 4 minutes to boot up and had about 10 icons next to the clock loading up all kinds of garbage.
After reconfiguring the system it now takes less than a minute to boot and has only 5 icons loaded up.
Manufacturers have no clue when configuring Windows OS's, MORONS really.
Do yourself a favor when buying any computer from an Acer, HP, Dell or whoever, re-do the OS and you'll have
a completely different system, for the better.
on June 26, 2011
Very dissapointed! Wireless adapter made by "Aerothos"...never heard of them....
Can't be more than 10 feet from the router...., whats the point of it being wireless?
Even went and exchanged it for another duplicate lap top because I thought the first one must have been defective...
Nope! the second one was the same....I even called tech support at Acer....tech admitted it must be a poor brand of adapter...no fooling....dont waste your time or money on this one!
55 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2011
This is my very 1st laptop i have a 2 core quad desktop but have been wanting a laptop for a long time.
Prices on the ones i wanted were to high for me to afford so i hadnt gotten one.
I was at walmart the other day and seen this dual core processor and it was priced at $278
I purchased it brought it home and its a awesome computer for the money.I see not much differance in my core 2 quad this one.This computer gets a A ttt from me
on September 13, 2012
If this is a refurbished computer you can't tell by looking at it or using it. It looks brand new. Not a mark on it and it works great. I got it for my daughter and she absolutely loves it. For the price it can't be beat. I'm sorry I didn't order one for my son too. It arrived in just a few days too. Great purchase!
on July 20, 2011
Purchased this laptop very skeptical of it from reading reviews..
but it was cheap and i NEEDED something for school... I immediatly upgraded to 6gb or RAM and will be moving up 8gb asap..
YES there was a wireless issue at first, but acer got on the ball and has put out an update for the wifi card.. granted its not perfect, but i can go upstairs and across the house from my router now and still get signal
im pleased though, after the RAM upgrade everything has been smooth
itunes, which is a large load runs super quick
and being a graphic design student.....photoshop cs5 ran superb, almost as good as my school alb computer that was 3,000$

if you need something cheap and basic this is the buy for you
on June 28, 2011
Bought this for my granddaughter at walmart and she had nothing but problems with internet connection. She took it back and exchanged it thinking it was faulty then she called tech support when the same problem happened and they really did nothing. This lap top is not worth the money it took to make it! If you are looking for a good laptop dish out the extra $50-$100 for a higher quality one.
on July 21, 2011
Out of the box I couldn't be further than 10 ft away from the router for this to connect to the wifi. I went to Acer's website and downloaded all the updates. I could then be further away from the router, but I kept losing the connection even though the signal was excellent. Three days after I bought it, I returned it.
on August 22, 2014
This is a decent budget laptop, but really nothing more. The 2 GBs of RAM were decent for the time, but these days, I get the worst looks from people when I tell them that my computer has 2 GBs of RAM. And it's no wonder. Gaming is no good on this computer. You might be able to get an acceptable framerate from a lower-requirement game, but beyond that, nothing.

Video editing is a nightmare on this computer, in most cases. The built-in video editor (Windows Live Movie Maker) is horrible, and the only good option for video editing is the legacy Windows Movie Maker, if you don't want to shell out $500-$1000 for a video editor. And on this computer, I wouldn't. The 2 GBs of RAM and low processor speed make HD editing an absolute pain, and HD playback practically impossible without skips.

Web browsing isn't that great on this machine either. The computer comes with Internet Explorer (IE), as you would expect, but it's literally only good for downloading a different web browser. The problem is, this computer can't handle them very well. Firefox always seems to crash, and Chrome runs so slowly on this machine, making YouTube videos a pain. The horribly weak wireless card on this computer is also a serious drag, as you can't be more than a few feet from the wireless router without losing wireless connection.

Running any version of Linux on this machine will also present a number of issues. For example, up until last year or so, most Linux distributions would hang on this machine because of a display issue, making Linux practically unusable on this machine until a year ago.

In all, I would not suggest this computer, at least not anymore. I recommend getting a computer with more "oomph" in it these days.
on August 19, 2011
Nice laptop. My 2005 Pentium M 2ghz, 2 gig ram, 100gb hd, gforce 6600 128mb laptop crashed. I needed a laptop ASAP, so I went to walmart super center. I was looking at another ACER on sale for 278 and found this one that also was on sale for 278. However, the store manager said it was open box, aka, USED, and could not gaurantee it. I could bring it back, so he offered it for 200 bucks, I almost accepted but said, is that the lowest you can go. He lowered it to 178. I snatched it up. Installed windows 7 ultimate and downloaded the updated drivers from here.
[...]

Everything works, including the wifi. Yes, I noticed the first day the wireless wasn't great. After I installed the patch the 2nd day, I could see every wireless device in sight. I was in a hotel. I installed Office 2010 ultimate also.

NICE laptop and saved me for the training class I was about to take. WalMart came through! I plan to upgrade to 750gb drive and 8gb ram soon.
on January 6, 2012
I purchased this baby for $278. Like so many of the other reviews the wireless was really weak. After doing some investigating I downloaded the updated driver for the wireless and Bios. After doing that I have a sweet computer. Wireless works great and I boosted the memory up to 8Gig which gave me a slight performance upgrade. Be aware that this computer is designed for Windows 7. You will run into trouble running Linux or any derivative. All in all I got a good deal. It is not the fastest but it functions well and is dependable as clockwork.