4,779
Size Name: 21.5 InchChange
Price:$139.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 25, 2011
Size Name: 23.6 InchVerified Purchase
I've been holding off on this, because I wanted to spend some time with it to give an experienced review. I'm just dumping a lot of details out there for you to absorb and make your own decision, but don't get me wrong, this is an AWESOME monitor for those of us that don't care for glossy screens.
I didn't buy this for the size; I bought it for the LED backlight, 2ms response, 1920 resolution, and the high contrast ratio. It just happened to be the only size I could get with those requirements.

Sound
This monitor does not come with speakers, but does come with a headphone jack located next to the video ports in the rear. This headphone jack is, to my knowledge, fed purely through HDMI if your video card supports injection of audio along with the video it displays (My GTX 560 Ti supports this). There is no way to control the volume for this port via the monitor and you will need to rely up the volume control provided through your OS or headphone's controls.

Display
My monitor arrived with 100% of the pixels working; not one single stuck or dead pixel. This was the first thing I checked for when I received it.
The 2ms response time is great. I don't see any ghosting or other types of lag. I tested this with Transformers 2. During the scene where the Devastator comes together my 60Hz TV was so laggy it was hard to see all of the details; with this monitor I was able to see every intricate detail of the vehicles connecting together to form the Devastator. Now I want to upgrade my TV.
Compared to any other LCDs I have, this has very little color distortion based on different viewing angles. The only time colors show noticeable change is when looking from a higher viewing angle (not left, right, or below).
Sometimes, during a solid colored screen, I think I see minor light-bleed effect in some areas, but lately I haven't. It's very rare/negligible and not noticeable at all during use.
The screen itself is very bright, colors are vivid, and whites are white and not yellowed (it puts my 2008 MacBook to shame).
I have been satisfied with all the default color settings. It comes with six pre-programmed modes. I normally only use Game/Theater/Standard modes. Similar to shopping for TV's in a store, once you switch to Standard you'll think "Eww, that's so bleached", but once you walk away and come back it looks awesome again. The Theater mode is configured more for darker pictures.
Since it's dynamic contrast, I noticed during testing that a screen of pure black is not as black as I'd like (because it has nothing to compare/adjust against), but once you pull up an actual picture with content or play a video blacks are dark black, whites are bright white, and it does very well at displaying the various levels of contrast in between.

Build
It's pretty thin and seems well built. The base is very easy to take on and off for transport, but you may want to use a screwdriver if you're OCD and the 1-2 degree of possible rotation from only hand-tightening annoys you. The screen sits level and doesn't lean at all one way or the other. There is a indentation in the back, probably mainly for heat dissipation, that I've been using as a handle-grip for transporting to LAN parties. This seems to work rather well, even if it's not intended to be used this way. The monitor itself stays really cool and I hardly notice any luke warm air coming from it even when I'm right up to it.

Other Thoughts
As much as people complain about the reflections of glossy screens, I don't think the Aero/"ooh, shiny object" effect of the gloss will ever seem inferior to my non-glossy screen (remember that TV shopping effect?). At the same time I am glad to have a non-glossy screen and am really surprised at how well it handles the colors for being such. It's both a pro and a con for me.
I have no issues viewing text on this screen. I had a laptop with a 15.5" LCD running at 1920x1280 and never (okay, rarely) had any issues reading small text, and I can tell you this 23" 1920x1080 screen is much easier to read, because... well... all 2+ million of those pixels are larger than on my 15". Sure, my dad may still complain about the font, but all-in-all if you have trouble reading small things get a display with a lower native resolution (else things typically get blurry when you lower from the native resolution) or attempt to utilize the operating system's built-in scaling settings. The text itself displays nice and crisp, just how I like it.

*2014 Note: This was a 2011 review of the ASUS VS247H-P. It seems Amazon has since reused the listing and/or reviews to now be attributed to a newer model.

Originally posted: 2011/09/24
Last edited: 2014/08/02
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2011
Size Name: 23 InchVerified Purchase
I ordered two of these and a dual monitor stand. After much research I had a few hesitations about ordering these as they are the same hardware it appears as the VS238H which as a lot of reviews here and on new egg.

So to address the complaints I saw in 1% of the reviews.

First complaint I saw was the stands. I can see how the stands could leave a little to be desired but these things are so light and thin a more substantial base would look out of place. I personally wouldn't let this take away from the monitor. Since I am not using the included stands that is where I will leave this.

The second issue I had seen people complain about was the uneven back light. If you look for it in darker modes under motion you can see it a little. Still nothing I would choose not to buy it over, and maybe they refined it in the VS238H-P from the VS238H.

The third issue I had seen on other reviews was color, like most LCD's its not true to life, but with some effort on the adjustment it looks great.

The back light at 100% is too bright for my taste, so turning it down to about 50% is where I like it.

Motion is smooth, fonts are crisp. I'm using a modified graphics driver that allows me to set the resolution over VGA to full 1080p I had seen some people complain that it wasn't as crisp using VGA but I think that is a driver/video card issue (or user error) more than a monitor issue. At 23 inch 1080p is the perfect size the fonts a good size, my laptop has 1050 vertical resolution on a 15 inch and it can make things too small. I wouldn't go any bigger without going to a higher resolution which is hard to find. However use DVI if at all possible and if using dual monitors make sure to use two DVI not a VGA and DVI.

The backs are a carbon fiber style texture which look good (I could see it collecting dust though). The front bezel is piano black (glossy) I will never understand this trend, but in my set up I have no light behind we to deal with.

For the price these can't be beat, if you are a high end graphics designer or photo editor you should look at a higher price point. Programmers, CAD, data entry, web browsing, gaming, and just about ever other use these are perfectly fine. I do not have any stuck or dead pixels that I have noticed.

I'm not sure you could improve this monitor without greatly increasing the cost.

***UPDATE***
If you are having issues with the font try different view modes the Scenery modes don't do fonts justice.
review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 16, 2014
Size Name: 23.6 InchVerified Purchase
So I already own one of these monitors, which I bought back in early 2012 from a local electronics store. It was fantastic, great colors, great response time, sharp images, practically perfect.

Two days ago I bought an exact same model from Amazon.com and couldn't wait to get it set up in my new home. I finally have enough space for a dual-screen setup. My excitement got zapped when I plugged the monitor in and placed it side-by-side with my existing VS247H-P. The new monitor's sharpness looked very off, and it has a very noticeable yellow tint compared to my older monitor, which is still in perfect condition. No matter how I adjusted the configuration of the display (Scenery, Standard, Theater mode, RGB colors, brightness, contrast, etc.) I could not get it to match the same excellent output as my existing one.

I am hoping this is not the case with all the recent versions of the VS247H-P model... It would be a shame given the vast majority of people have good reviews of this monitor. Hopefully I received a fluke, I have tried getting another one and we will see how this new one turns out...

Will provide another update later.

Update 1/17/2014. So the new model STILL looked tinted yellow. And again, I reset both monitors to factory settings, set it to "Standard Mode", and find a very noticeable color difference. This is a huge problem for me trying to work on dual screens for image and video apps. I don't know why both models I received exhibit this issue with the washed out colors. Disappointed to say the least.
review image review image
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear M. Weng,

If you've already contacted Amazon, please let me know how the replacement turns out. My email is cl-celeste@asus.com. Please include case#3348240 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

Sincerely,
Celeste
ASUS Customer Loyalty
on December 21, 2011
Size Name: 24 InchVerified Purchase
I bought this monitor about 2 months ago and I have to say that I'am quite pleased with it. The colors on it look great after calibration. The monitor has a fast response time and low input lag. The design is aesthetically pleasing, though it has a somewhat cheap feeling to it. The monitor has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, a headphone jack (Headphone jack only works with HDMI) and an HDMI input. Out of the box it includes all the cables necessary for connecting your equipment except an HDMI cable. I mainly use the monitor with my Xbox 360 via HDMI and it looks great. I originally thought that 24" was going to be too big, but it fits perfectly on my desk with just barely enough room to spare with the shelf above the monitor. The monitor also comes with a 3 year warranty from Asus so I have peace of mind about my purchase. I highly recommend the Asus VS248H-P and will definitely continue shopping with Amazon.

Since the monitor doesn't come with an HDMI cable here are some below.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable (6.5 Feet/2.0 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - (6 Feet) - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available]

I personally bought my HDMI cable from Monoprice. I don't recommend ever buying an HDMI cable from a retail store because they are overpriced and will not perform any better than a $10 HDMI cable bought online.

EDIT: I have had this monitor for just over a year now and it is still going strong. Very happy with my purchase and I don't think I could have bought a better monitor than this one for the price I paid back in October 2011.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 9, 2013
Size Name: 23.6 InchVerified Purchase
Monitor has a great sharp picture, awesome vibrant colors. I really like this monitor and hope I get many years of use out of it. Nice step up over my old acer lcd. The built in presets work well I have not had to adjust outside of using the presets. Asus also claims a good warranty, I hope that its never needed however it is a little piece of mind.

10/30/13 - Update, monitor has developed some odd discoloration over night some-how.. I turn on my PC one after noon and notice a nice purple banner style discoloration on white webpages.
I have been trying to use the "warranty" for a month to no avail. I have jumped through all their requested hoops in order to RMA and use the "worry free warranty" I have called 6+ times, 5+ emails got no where I lost count.
I did not expect such bad service from asus.. Upon looking around their warranty/rma service has sure went down hill - and its very true.. Seems as if im stuck with a junk monitor only months down the road, never abused or anything of my fault to cause this issue.. Avoid this company - I will never buy anything asus ever again asus has left me bitter they aren't even decent enough to email back..
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2011
Size Name: 21.5 InchVerified Purchase
The picture on this monitor is absolutely beautiful, as is the monitor itself.

PROS:

- PHYSICAL CONSTRUCTION, stand included, is sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about knocking the monitor over or breaking it. TILTING the monitor is efforless, and it rotates up and down enough that I don't have to worry about my seat height, i.e., if I sit high and need to make the monitor face up to face me, it is easily done.
- I don't do photography work, so I don't worry about calibration and so on, but the COLORS are vivid and clear. It has several convenient color modes, including a "warm" one, which I use in the evening to relax my eyes before bed.
- The picture is very sharp. This is because such a high resolution is packed into a 21.5 inch screen. The PIXEL PITCH is as good as you will get in this generation's monitors that are in a usable size.
- The VIEWING ANGLE is absolutely amazing.
- Has a HDMI port for extra devices!

CONS:

- None really.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
Size Name: 21.5 InchVerified Purchase
The monitor itself is fair. I have three of them but one of them stopped syncing over a 1080P HDMI signal which is what I need it for. If I plug the same HDMI cable into either of the other monitors, they work just fine. This unit is defective. I can understand that, it happens. I opened an RMA and shipped it to the repair center (on my own dime) and they promptly shipped it back to me without repairing it.

Really? In what universe is that acceptable? I've had many monitors and other pieces of computer hardware over the years and rarely have any of them had an issue. Those that did were promptly replaced or repaired by the manufacturer. For some reason, ASUS thinks it's good practice to ship defective hardware back to the customer. Fair enough, if ASUS doesn't care to support their customers then I don't care to be one anymore.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2013
Size Name: 24 InchVerified Purchase
I ordered 2 of these and both had light bleed issues worse than what I was willing to deal with. I returned them for a refund.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2014
Size Name: 21.5 Inch
Purchased 4-2014 from Amazon. ASUS won't honor warranty, have spent hours on emails, online chats, phones calls over the past three weeks. VS228HP Warranty clearly states "ASUS Rapid Replacement Warranty...Along with a 3 year warranty for the display panel and system, you get the complimentary ASUS Rapid Replacement service that covers free 2-way shipping and offers free cross-shipping that swaps any defective unit with a replacement." ASUS will not even pay for one way shipping and will not provide the Rapid Replacement service. Their approach is to wear you down until you go away. I own ASUS displays and laptops, they are my last.
[...]
Update Nov 8, 2014...Sent in monitor after fighting to get free shipping label, ASUS received the display on Nov 4, 2014. I inquired about when I would get replacement, got the following email on Nov 7: "The repair Facility have your device on their department last November 4, 2014. Currently the repairs are pending, there are parts that are not available and waiting for the stock to arrive." Exact wording. Bottom Line, at least for me, the ASUS warranty is worthless, keep that is mind when buying their products.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2011
Size Name: 23.6 InchVerified Purchase
This monitor is just plain awesome. I love every inch of it!

The presets are very nice, colors seem to be almost spot on for the gaming option. No ghosting whatsoever, I could not get it to lag or anything like it.

The stand isn't too bad, no worse then most led monitors. Since it is so light there is no problem moving it around, there is also a nice slot on the top behind the screen to use as a handle!

TF2, Borderlands, WOW, and Killing Floor all look insane on this thing, it is so crisp. I can see so much more detail then on the Acer 19" 4:3 monitor I used previously.

I also am a semi-pro photographer and let me tell you, this screen didn't even need color correction. Its colors are saturated no doubt, but they were just right.

You will love this monitor. Buy it. Cereal.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations