on August 28, 2013
Purchased mine a few weeks ago from Best Buy for $91. Retail according to the web site is $129.99 Came as a starter system with several samples. After weeks of research, I came to buy the "Fizz" because it has a meter telling you the CO2 levels in the tank and how much CO2 you put into the drink. The others do not have this option. With enough experimenting, I found you do not need to put as much mix into the bottle as they suggest, also smaller amounts of Fizz, or CO2 works well which will increase the amount of drinks the CO2 can create. With further research, I found a kit on line that will let me fill my tanks with a CO2 tank I purchased from a welding supply house making the cost of CO2 refills go from $20 a bottle to about 50-75 cents a bottle. This option is not for everyone, but if you like to tinker with stuff, it is a good way to save a lot of money.

Now as for the taste of the products - The sample pack gives you a good selection and idea what to buy. The flavor is a bit off from what you would find in a soda can, but after a few weeks or so, you will adjust to it and think it is just normal. The cheaper root beer I found had a better flavor that the more expensive one and creates 2x more drinks. The diet drinks .... well, what can one say about diet drinks. They are just about the same to me.

Operation - - A few notes you need to know about these if you have not used them before. They use special high pressure bottles. You put cold water in the bottle, would suggest keeping them in the refrigerator keeping the water cold prior to use. Noting the mark on the bottle for water level, screw it onto the machine. There is a button on top of this one which gives you a better angle to install. Press the lever a few short times and you have the water carbonated. Now if you put warm mix onto a cold bottle of soda water, one gets a fountain shooting out of it. Keep the mixes in the refrigerator also. Poor in the mix in very slowly, put the cap on and slowly turn the bottle in several directions to mix it.

CLEANING - DO NOT - Repeat - DO NOT wash the bottles in hot water. It will distort the plastic causing the bottle to no longer hold the high pressure carbonated water. Use soapy warm water. The unit wipes up easy also with warm soapy water. Keep the CO2 tank away from hot places as the pressure will increase and possibly blow the relief valve loosing the charge. It also could possibly explode, but not likely if the relief valve is working properly.

Hope this helps everyone out, as I searched for info like this and found nothing - GOOD luck making soda's

UPDATE:_____ (18 months Later)
The unit still works great! The refill CO2 tanks save me a lot of money. Since I like Root Beer mostly, I get my mix directly in 1 gallon jugs from Ssprecher's for around $25, As far I can tell, this is still the best Root Beer out there. Their cola's are also really good. You can buy these on line from their on line store or other Beer sources. If you live near Milwaukee, just stop at their store, they stock all of them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2013
I just Purchased the sodastream fizz model FZ9001. In the box you receive the unit(no assembly of the unit required) a 60L C02 canister,and 12 sample soda flavors.(each sample makes 4 servings) and a 1liter plastic bottle with an air sealed lid to preserve your fizz if you don't drink all of what you made in one serving. With free shipping I ordered direct form SodaStream ,it cost me $80.
It takes maybe 5 minutes out of the box to set up.(remove the seals,screw on C02 container,reset the C02 monitor, and your all set.) Soda Stream recommends you chill your water before use, I have a home water cooler so that was not a problem for me. In fact I recommend you use chilled spring water or bottled water.
The process of creating soda is just as simple as the set up. You put water in the plastic bottle to the fill line,screw the bottle to the machine,press the charging lever 3 to 5 times depending on how much fizz you desire,remove the bottle,add the flavoring,gently mix (don't shake too hard or you get the same results as if you shook a can of soda and then tried to open it...a big spraying mess..LOL)open the lid and drink as is, or pour over ice and enjoy. The taste is very comparable to store brand soda. If you are trying to save money it's more of a wash, but if you like the idea of having a fresh glass of soda of any variety you choose and as much or less as you choose this is perfect. If you're getting it as a gift for someone who likes soft drinks, they will probably enjoy it and use it . The machine sets on the counter comfortably next to the coffee maker and does not take up a lot of space. If you have a home bar or like to cook out it's great. Set it on a table near near a cooler of water, and then let your guest choose their favorite flavor.
You get get Spare C02 canisters and soda flavors at Walmart,Bed Bath and Beyond,Costco,Sams Club,Staples...ect. You can also purchase smaller .5 liter reusable plastic bottles at these same outlets. I enjoy the machine for what I paid for it, and it's as convenient to use as my water cooler so I'm happy with the purchase and will get a lot of use out of it.
on February 22, 2013
I bought The Fizz model, and I truly love this machine that I use every day - almost always twice. I used to haul a lot of 2-liter bottles home every week and the weight is too much for my hands. It just plain hurt to carry those bottles. Then there's the storage problem; where to store all those bottles? They take up a lot of room in the refrigerator, too. I hated the thought of so many of them going into the landfill, and the knowledge of the huge plastic islands in our oceans which is made up of these bottles and other plastic trash just makes me sick. The solution to all the above? The SodaStream. One little pint bottle of concentrate is all I need for a week's worth of soda. Right now I'm saving them to use as storage containers for my dehydrated food items, but I'll also cut them up to make other items I want. When I have all I need for those things, they will be recycled. The best reason of all is of course flavor, and the SS concentrates are flat-out delicious! I was drinking Sam's Club diet cola, and it is horrible, and even Diet Coke isn't nearly as good as Soda Stream Diet Cola. My husband was a total skeptic about this purchase, but he loves it as much as I do! Don't hesitate - get one ASAP and you'll be so glad for so many reasons! I think this is the best new product of the decade, if not the century!

Try making your own fruit syrups and juice drinks to use, and the world's best deep-fry batters use seltzer, so you've got that to enjoy also. Make fizzy tea (Mio is good!)and other soda-licious drinks to enjoy! A chocolate ice cream soda is one of my favorite things in life. There are lots of recipes online for really outstanding sodas you can make at home so easily.

Added a year later: The carbonating control handle broke, and after a call to SodaStream, they sent us a new model which is even better, called The Source! Great company, fast service, and now an even better new machine! Get one!
on September 4, 2013
Just got the RED one.
Three reasons:
liked the look
Liked the price
Liked the Fizz Chip System.

2 out of three is what I got.

FizzChip is a total scam.
They ship it with an extra battery (I got two) Thought it wasn't working because of low battery. Changed it. when you look inside There is no connection to any thing that senses pressure or flow. And it doesn't work. I get the loud buzz that tells you are you near full pressure. Nothing changes on the Fizz CHIP.. Useless and even if it was working I am thinking its just sensing the Buzz and guessing at the pressure on the bottle.

Note: The Fizz Chip Not working is common issue: Soda Stream is sending a new one. That should fix the problem, just call the support number on the package

Why I still like it:
It does make good carbonated water.. So far their diet flavors are terrible. I think they are using old Sacrin. Being a giant marking firm.. they market "no Aspertame" like it was a feature.. Diet DR Pete is Gross. Diet Grapefruit is tolerable.
But I was already paying $1 for 2 litter soda water and using Kool-Aid and Miro water enhancers..(The little squeeze bottles so the machine just makes the soda water cheaper and you don't end up with the last liter in a 2 liter bottle being flat.

Also..
Before I bought I realized they have created quite a network of places to change out the CO2 bottles. That took work and marketing to get all those stores on board.
If their electronics people were half as smart as their marketing people the Fizz Chip might work.

Also They really need to get better flavors OR partner with Coke, Pepsi and DR Pepper and let us get the real flavors.

My machines works.
The Chip looks high tech on a machine I like (but is useless)
It gives me fresh carbonated water I like.

If I find any of their flavors I worth buying I will update this review.
Diet Grapefruit Fail
Diet Dr Pete Fail
Diet Root Beer fail

Regular Orange B (it has bit of real orange juice flavor and the sweetener might not be as good as diet canned soda.. But I might buy this. 10 yr old likes it and its about 40% of the calories of Canned regular Orange soda)
Regular Root Beer C+ Its mild for a root beer but OK, not sure I will buy more.
Regular Lemon Lime B+ Like all their regular sodas its less sweet than canned branded soda.. my wife likes it also because it seems to favor the lime a bit more.
Regular Dr. Pete.. reminds me alot of Dr Pepper 10.. the low Cal version. Not too bad.. might buy it.

We are working through the sample pack.. the regulars are always less sweet.. which we like.. so far I think the Lemon Lime and Orange may be something we buy again.
[We are pretty sure our Coke Zero and Diet DR Pepper will not be replaced but many of the other sodas will]

And we keep one bottle of just fizzy water for the Miro and Koolaid Water Enhancers making those by the glass.

Review Update...:
I think the first Fizz chip was working.. though they did send me a new one. The problem is that you can use the machine and fully carbonate your water with a partial pull of the level. This will not activate the sensor on the Fizz Chip. It took two CO2 bottles for me to learn.. Even when the bottle is new and pressure is high.. you need to pull the level down ALL THE WAY each time you activate it. Then the chip tracks the time you have the valve open. And seems to understand that as the bottle empties it takes a bit longer to carbonate the water. On my third CO2 bottle I pulled the lever down properly each time. Darned if the chip didn't start to flash empty just before I pulled my last two liters of soda!! So it works.. But the design makes it easy for the user to use the machine in a way the Fizz Chip will not count. So still 4 stars for this flaw.
on April 26, 2014
I purchased the Fizz model over the others because of the Fizz display which shows the CO2 level left in the C02 canister, as well as the CO2 in the water bottle, but I am a bit disappointed with this feature

The C02 meter for the water bottle has three levels. If you carbonate to the third (the highest) level, it is still a VERY low level of carbonation. Because if this, the meter is near worthless.

The other function, to show the remaining CO2 in the CO2 canister works better, but is not perfect. I would say when the LCD showed 1/6 remaining, there was really 1/3 of the bottle remaining.

Be aware of this before you decide to spend extra for the Fizz model!
on January 13, 2014
Great machine, works perfectly. The flavor was just right on the sample drinks that were provided.

I knocked off one star because the instructions are not the best. Especially when attaching the soda bottle to the machine. Admittedly it was funnier than heck when the ice cold water blasted my husband soaking him, but some might fail to see the humor.
on February 20, 2014
We've used it for a week and tried a half dozen different flavors. So far so good. I'll give it a couple of months and see if the new tastes and paraphernalia are worth staying the course.
on July 27, 2013
Very nice looking and Very easy to use. Having it this hot summer was a good decision. My wife's daily spritzer became assured as we didn't have to worry whether we remembered to buy soda cans or not.
We highly recommend this item..
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 75.00 because it's not worth more than that. Shop around because I found mine on ebay much cheaper than Amazon. Now onto the review of the product. I like the simplicity of the design especially screwing in the C02 bottle and the plastic bottle because it makes me feel secure when using it. The first batch I just used very cold water from the tap and it worked fine. Good carbonation. I would give it five stars if the unit wasn't plastic. I bought this model in the interim while I wait for the Breville to come to market. I like the technology but want a better made product. Sodastream has a higher end unit but after reading the reviews I chose this one. Have fun creating your own drinks. I'm going to try to make healthier drinks by using my own juice flavours rather than purchasing the flavours by Sodastream.
on July 17, 2012
I love this product. It is so nice not to have to run to a store to get tons of different types of soda for guest now I just make the flavors they want on the spot. Great fun and taste too!