on August 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
I want to help clarify the difference between the 2 affordable Harry Potter Blu-Ray series, to you all. I've been back and forth on which to buy for the last several months. When searching on Amazon for this set, you'll notice that there are 2 sets, both with all 8 movies, both with the same number of reviews. These are INDEED different, regardless of how similar they are described. Here's why...
I'll start with the blu-ray that has 3 differently aged Harry's on the cover. You'll notice that it is bigger than the other collection being sold. What they don't tell you is that the discs are all in separate cases, as they are sold by themselves in stores. There are also 11 dics, not just 8. But to be clear on this as well, these are just bonus content from the last 3 movies. It's not bonus content on the entire series. You'll also notice, from a side view picture, the list of movies that are in the box. The first says, "The Philosopher's Stone", rather than "The Sorcerer's Stone". Don't worry, it's not a bootleg copy. It's the English (UK) version of the set. The U.S. version changed the name for marketing purposes and it doesn't affect anything about the set.
Now for the OTHER set being sold:
You'll notice about a $15 price difference in the two. This set, with the cover being of the castle, is smaller and more compact. This is because it has an insert the unfolds with all movies attached to each fold. It's neater, takes up less space, and in my opinion, looks more like the set it should be. However, this set contains only 8 discs (1 for each movie). I know about this set because It is the same that I borrowed from a friend.
So, there's not much of a difference here. I bought the bigger looking box because of the extra content and it was cheaper. The other box looks more like a classic collection but lacks content.
Hope this helped!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,574 of 1,727 people found the following review helpful
on November 16, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I'm actually very pleased with this product! It's very cheap, and very good quality. There are, however, a couple of things that I feel I should point out.

First, the case that it comes in is a standard mass production case that most multi-disc sets use. Don't expect a lavish collectable case, especially for the price. The case is still very durable, and allows all of the movies to be stored in a small amount of space.

Second, the films in this set ARE NOT THE SPECIAL EDITIONS. They are standard edition, as if the first disc from each movie was put in here. While there are some special features, there are not a lot.

Next, the discs themselves appear to be great quality. All of mine worked extremely well, and there were no defects whatsoever, save one thing. The disc that I received for Deathly Hallows Part 1 is missing a cover. The disc is all black, and the title and copyright information are on there, but there is not picture. This, however does not in any way affect the viewing of the movie, and is only an aesthetic concern.

Also, the box that the DVD's come in is not the absolute best quality, but it is sturdy. It serves it's purpose, and it looks very nice!

PLease note, if you want something that's collectible, DO NOT BUY THIS SET. There are others out there that will better suit your needs. However, this set satisfies all of the casual viewers' needs. It presents the movies in an accessible, affordable manner, and is absolutely a great buy! I recommend this to all Harry Potter fans who wish to have all of the movies!

EDIT As of Nov 12, 2013: It seems that the original product that I wrote this review for has been altered in some way. I'm very sorry for any confusion that results form this. Just to clear up, the set that i bought only included the 8 movies on regular DVDS. There were not any special features or extra discs.
4646 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,227 of 1,351 people found the following review helpful
on September 21, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I like how a lot of fans are slamming Warner Brothers for offering up a box set containing all eight films in one compact package. They accuse how WB constantly does this for the Harry Potter franchise, and to be fair, WB has been doing incomplete Potter boxed releases for years, starting with "Prisoner of Azkaban" onwards. But when the WB actually makes a nice package with all eight films included, they still complain because there's hardly any bonus material. WB did this for their first four Batman movies before the glorious Batman Anthology came to be, so those fans have been waiting a long time that as well.

The set will just have a repressing of the initial releases, and the first three movies include their respective trailers, while "Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2" have deleted/extended scenes, so the "no extras" claim doesn't hold as much water. They have some, as opposed to none. Not to mention the quality of the past three Ultimate Editions' bonus features have declined to the point where I just stopped buying them (bulky packaging, no commentary and no extended editions are the deal-breakers). For me, I just want the movies, and this set allows that. For that alone it gets 4 stars. It's a no-frills package but worth it if you just want the movies and save shelf space.

If you want a comprehensive box set with tons of extras for each movie, you'll have to wait. Don't buy it if you don't want to.
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2011
amazon.co.uk has the three different HP movies 1-8 sets
just go to the site and type in "harry potter 1-8"

ALLL BLU RAY CUSTOMERS can order, as these are region free and with HD media, there is no such thing as PAL encoding.
"Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray] [2011][Region Free]"
and "Harry Potter: The Complete 1-8 Film Collection - Limited Numbered Edition (Blu-ray + DVD) [2011][Region Free]"

I live in philly, i ordered the regular set, its going to come to around 40 bucks i believe
the special edition version will be way less than 100 and far surpasses this version sold here

the dvd set is SUPER cheap but it is not region free and it IS in PAL. so most americans wont be able to see it

this is true for most of amazon.co.uk 's inventory. as far as blu ray, as long as it says region free, it will work in america, and it only takes a week to get here, and it is ALWAYS cheaper. and they have WAY more unique box sets and artwork.
7878 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
...and I don't even own a Blu Ray player yet! (That's how much faith I have in the UK product and as a Harry Potter fan!!!) I've never bought anything from Amazon UK either so this will be interesting.

UK's version is Region Free and doesn't have any 50i encoding so these UK discs will work on all US Blu Ray players (when I finally get one). This is how Warner Brothers makes all of it's Blu Rays. If you are STILL not conviced this will work on your US blu ray, then you ought to go check out Amazon UKs site on the last Harry Potter Region Free Box Set (movies 1-6). Plenty of our USA compatriots had no issues with the films or bonus material, and reported great experiences buying from the UK. Also it comes with 3 extra discs that the US version doesn't have. And did I mention it's twice as cheap?! Yes, it came out to exactly 30 pounds, which is ~$48. Finally if you are a big Potter fan, youll have the irreplaceable value of telling your friends you bought Harry Potter from the UK. That's hardcore and I guarantee nobody will ever doubt your fanship after they know that.

Let me ask you something now, other than having to wait a couple more weeks for release, why would you NOT get it from Amazon.co.uk? :D

By the way - Best Buy/Walmart's Black Friday Ads leaked today and I did not see a deal on Harry Potter Blu Ray box sets. Plus even if they were, I doubt they could beat $48. That's why I jumped on this deal today.

Hmmm....Now I need to buy a Blu Ray player and a new TV. LOL.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
The CD's were mislabeled "The Sorcerer's Castel". This was a knock off of the real box set. There were actual scenes in certian movies that were not even included. DO NOT BUY!!! I went out to best buy and paid the $85 and got the real deal with all the scenes and extras.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This is a great price for a nice, bare bones collection of movies, which is perfectly fine by me. What is not fine by me is the fact that some of these movies were wide screen and some were full screen. A few had auto-play while others had previews. I don't mind if they're simply reprints of the original releases, but they could have at least been consistent with the products they reprinted. I am the kind of person who has to have wide screen, and wants things within a set to have the same basic functions (especially when advertised as such); please bear this in mind as you take in this information.

Also, the set that I received had five damaged discs; no physical damage or dust on the discs themselves, but they would not play past ten minutes into the movie, and some could not access secondary menus. This grievance is specific to the set I received, but buyer beware.

I will be returning this item and waiting for the next (likely more expensive, sadly) release of a Harry Potter boxed set.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
Nobody in their right mind should buy this. Seriously. If you don't have any of the HP films on Blu, go on Amazon.co.uk and buy the version from there. You get all 8 movies on Blu, same as this set, plus three extras discs that this set does *not* have, and it costs you about $30 less even AFTER shipping. You'll have to wait a few extra days to get it in your hands because they have to ship it overseas, but I think most people would probably rather wait than spend than the money.

Okay, the UK box isn't quite as spiffy-looking (or maybe it's better, if you're into Daniel Radcliffe). Is a better box worth a $30 price premium? The UK 1-8 box set is undisputably a better version, and it costs significantly less. Warners, why are you trying to sell us this? Anybody with a half a brain sees right through you.

**December 2012 edit**
This is STILL applicable advice, but in light of some of the comments I think I should clarify that I am ONLY talking about the Blu-rays, not the DVD set. The UK DVD set is Region 2 and will not work with most players in the US and Canada. Current price as of this edit is GBP 20.00, which works out to around $33 or so before shipping. Enjoy!
131131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
When are we going to get a set that includes the movies in the format like they're broadcast on ABC Family? ...you know, with all the extra bits reintegrated? I'm holding onto my money until that comes along. And I have no doubt it will, eventually, because nothing puts money in the WB coffers like re-re-re-releasing some movies.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
Please, Warner Bros, stop repackaging everything, and give me a real collection. Ones that include ALL the extended versions of the movie. I know you have them. Please give them up. If you released this same package but it includes all extended versions, I will pay the 170.00. Until then, I will continue to with hold. Cheers!
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...