Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on January 22, 2005
After the solid third season, Frasier came back with what could arguably be its best season. There were new storylines: Martin meeting a new lady, Sherry (played by Marsha Mason), who doesn't exactly hit it off with the rest of the gang--as well as continuations of old ones: Niles trying to reconcile with Maris. The biggest story of this season, though, was off-camera: star Kelsey Grammer went into rehab, which necessitated that the others in the cast pick up the slack. They proved up to the task, of course, and upon Grammer's return the show became better than ever. In this season, we were visited by familiar faces like Lilith and Frederick for a memorable Thanksgiving episode, as well as Agent Bebe, as well as surprise appearances (James Earl Jones). In addition, this season contained some of the truly greatest episodes of this show: the opener, The Two Mrs. Cranes, had the show's farcical sense of its humor at its most potent, Ham Radio featured delightfully unhinged performances by the supporting cast, and Are You Being Served? features one of the show's funniest moments. This is where the show hit its peak: the synthesis of great acting, writing, and ensemble acting that made this show memorable. If you love Frasier, these episodes are probably many of the reasons why. If you only buy one set of Frasier DVDs, this should probably be it.
33 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2005
Frasier was about to come into its off years, but they got it exactly right in Season 4 - it's full of heavy laughs, pitch-perfect timing, meaningful characterizations, and a breezy, nimble energy that carries through one shockingly good episode after another. I may never laugh harder at a half hour sitcom than I did during the brilliant season premiere, "The Two Mrs. Cranes," which features Daphne and Roz trying to outlie each other for a random Brit's affection, or during "Ham Radio," the slapstick masterpiece about Frasier trying to put on an old-time radio mastery. The writing was the best it ever was this year, but I think that's because the characters had reached such a place of familiarity and ease that every scenario is just another grand excuse to see the bizarre ways they'll all interact. As brilliantly embodied by the entire cast (especially, this year, by John Mahoney as Martin, and David Hyde Pierce, in the Niles golden years), it's hard not to argue that this was one of the funniest years of any sitcom in television history.
on January 2, 2008
Yes, season 4 of "Frasier" was filled with some fantastic episodes but the DVD set leaves a lot to be desired. First off, like a lot of people have already mentioned, you're forced to sit through several interminable minutes of ads for the first season DVD sets of "Happy Days," "Laverne & Shirley," and "Mork & Mindy" on disc 1. Painful! Second, there are no bonus features of any kind: no bloopers, behind-the-scenes featurettes, nothing. C'mon, Paramount, we know you have some good stuff! That's one of the main reasons why people buy DVDs, for all the extras!

Those are minor quibbles, however, compared to this - we do not get all the episodes in their uncut, original broadcast length! I haven't watched them all yet but I know that at least one ("Mixed Doubles") has been shortened a bit. I know that shows are often trimmed during reruns for time considerations, but for crying out loud, if you can't get the full-length episodes on a "Complete Season" DVD set, then what's the point?

I love the show and I'll buy the rest of the DVDs but Paramount is doing "Frasier" a disservice by short-changing the fans like this. I hope the rest of the seasons are complete and unedited but I'm not holding my breath. Just thought you should know.
on February 17, 2005
Frasier is, for my money, the best sitcom ever presented on American TV. The comedy on this wonderful show runs across all genres from slapstick to drawing room farce. And the dialogue is aguably in the same class as the best of the 1930's screwball comedies! If Preston Sturges were alive, he would have been writing for Frasier.

The fourth season of Frasier is the best yet. The interplay between Frasier and Niles and their father is a joy to behold. Frasier is the only TV show that consistently has me rolling on the floor with laughter. And, the supporting players, from Bulldog to Roz, cross all comedic and encomic lines! And what great lines they are...

I love being able to buy these quality shows in their entirety so that I can watch them without commercials and at a time of my chosing. And, with the price drop for Season 4, it's gotten even better! According to tvshowsontv.com, Paramount will be releasing 3 more seasons in 2005! It doesn't get much better than this for comedy fans.

I recommend this show to all intelligent and discriminating TV viewers.
VINE VOICEon April 15, 2007
Frasier, Season Four, is every bit as anjoyable as its three predecessors. Niles really steals the show this season as his new found freedom from Maris finds him searching for a partner. The Niles and Daphne relationship grows as Niles feelings seem to deepen. This relationship, I believe, is the soul of the series. Martin is great, as usual, doling out criticism and advice to his two sons.

As much as the series and shows stand out on their own, I am slightly disappointed in the lack of extras on the DVDs. I would love to see some bloopers and hear more about individual episodes, etc. This is only a small complaint, however, as I am just glad that I live in a day and age where I can own my favorite shows.

A solid 4 stars. Highly recommened. I would encourage any new Frasier viewers, if there are any that are catching on late; to start at the beginning of the series. The character growth and development has been exceptional.
on February 4, 2006
This is a great season but, if you watch it right alongside of Season 1 or Season 2, there's some risk of disappointment.

The writing is solid but, in this season, we start to see some burlesque style, particularly in the way Niles is written. After four years, even a brilliant series is bound to show a little fatigue, and this is what we see here.

Niles is shown as conflicted and even a trifle complex, but the portrayal is so broad as to hint a writer's desire to pigeonhole him and make the jokes come thicker and faster.

And then there's Frasier. Remember how the end of Season 1 has him talking about how happy he is? In this season, he gets a little lonlier, a little angrier, and a little sadder. It's not a bad development, but when it's coupled with the broader humor which typifies this season, there's a dissonance that's a little hard to resolve.

But I guess by saying that I sound like the Crane brothers, right? Oh, well...the fourth season is enjoyable and as much fun as ever!
on February 2, 2005
TV sets have a closed-caption feature can be turned on to see the subtitle text. Please tell me if this helps.

Regards ... Les
VINE VOICEon April 14, 2005
It's almost not fair. Every episode in this season is a keeper. Not a single disappointment in the bunch!

I can't think of ANY other series that ever had such a solid streak of home runs. Season 4 of "Frasier" is consistently funny and often inspired. I dare say that it is the strongest one of the 5 seasons released to this point (as of April 2005).

The sexual tension Niles experiences over Daphne increases, and results in one of the funniest episodes of the season.

Glad to see the the company is releasing these season box sets at an acceptably rapid clip.
on June 8, 2015
Having been in therapy for several decades, I can relate to psychiatrists. They, too, have problems, and to see this portrayed, in a comical setting, just keeps my in stitches. If anyone doesn't see the humor in this, just doesn't have a sense of humor AT ALL. Also, the writing is SUPERB!
on April 24, 2012
This particular season has mandatory "commercials" of other DVD's at the beginning of the DVD which is rather annoying.

Also, there are no subtitles available (for any of the seasons I've watched so far).

However, good audio and video quality and no other problems noted.