on March 4, 2008
The color of the watch band: brownVerified Purchase
In my 67 years I have owned watches from an Ingersol Mickey Mouse when I was a kid all the way through a solid gold Concord that sells for almost $7,000. With a LeCoultre and a Rolex in between. But guess what? This Timex is just remarkable! As your eyes age, it's nice to have a high-contrast simple black-on-white display, and the Indiglo feature is priceless for low- or no-light conditions. The simplicity and craftsmanship of this watch has to be seen to be believed--the sweep second hand actually hits the marks around the dial with accuracy I almost never saw in my Swiss watches. That, to me, is a near-impossible task that only my most expensive watch managed (one of the reasons I bought it since I'm a perfectionist type). The Timex people have done an outstanding job with this inexpensive watch. The ten-year battery life is a bonus. I very highly recommend this handsome, simple, elegant timepiece! (I do not own stock in Timex.)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2014
The color of the watch band: brownVerified Purchase
Received this watch and it looks much better in person than it does on the website.

The color is a nice darker brown, the dial is easy to read, and the holes are spaced very nicely for the perfect fit.

For $30, you cannot go wrong with this watch.
review image
The color of the watch band: brown
I'm not a man, and don't like bulky men's watches on my small wrist - but I'm getting older and cannot read the microscopic dials on most ladies watches.

The dial is big enough to read without me having to cut my arm off, lay it on a table and step back 5 feet... and the Indiglo is so mild - in the middle of the night, I can press the light and I can easily read the time without a harsh light assaulting my eyes or without it being so dim, I have to nearly wake up all the way to read it.

For a large dial watch, the wrist band is fairly narrow, which is why I selected this watch. I also like having not only the date on the watch, but the day as well. I love technology and had a TI digital watch iin the 1970s and have had several digital watches in my time with many features - but I appreciate looking at an analog time piece.

My less than perfect review stems from two things:

1.) To set the day (not date), you have to crank the time around a full 2 rotations (24 hours) each for each day - this is tiring, but hopefully you only have to do it once.

2.) The leather wrist band is very thick. I had another Indiglo watch with a supple, nearly calfskin band, but the band wore out, other wise I'd put it on this watch. It's like having a saddle on your wrist and it's a little stiff. For it to be comfortable, I have to latch it at the last hole and wear it like a hula-hoop.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2013
The color of the watch band: brownVerified Purchase
I've been looking for a casual watch for these past few months and this beauty is the one. I was lucky to come across this watch as I was just about to buy a $500 Citizen I had my eyes on from the last visit to the store. The saved money is real handy for a kid still in school. And I'm sure you've assumed already, I ended up buying the Timex Reader and I don't regret it.

I already had an idea(a petty one) about what kind of watch I wanted. One with a leather strap, red second hand, simple ~40mm white face w/date, silver case. So it was awesome to find the Timex Reader. But after scrolling down the page and reading a few negative reviews about the absurd noise, pesky date setting and also the cheap price I was skeptical about the purchase. Whatever, I decided to just order it and see for myself.

Here's my some information about the watch if you're considering buying it,

The face:
It's white, just like the picture. I only say this because other watches by Timex advertise online a white face but are actually a yellow-creamy hue.
The Indiglo:
It's the colour teal and it also doesn't entirely light up the face of the watch. There's about half a centimeter of unlit area at the top of the watch. Think of it like a nearly-filled fish tank. It's a feature I won't see myself using much, so I care little about the defect.
The Band:
It's not as brown as the picture would make you think. Some reviewers agree that it's a Maroon Red. When you actually zoom in on the image, you can see the red that I'm talking about. Just assume that it's reddish and not brown for expectations.
The noise:
I'm a student with a PC and a fan always running. So obviously this small watch won't over power the noise. With the watch up to my ear, of course I hear ticking but I personally find the repetitive sound soothing. Just a tip, apparently if you put the watch FACE down it some-what mutes the sound from what I read from some reviews.
The time/date:
What do you do when you get a watch? You set it's time. Right away, I was super frustrated with setting time and date with this watch like other reviewers. A little side story, I kept pulling and pulling the crown to get a certain time setting and the ENTIRE CROWN came out! It looked like a metal toothpick. I was confused about what the hell just happened and sorta like when you drop a vase and sweep it under the carpet, I immediately shoved the little guy back in the hole without much thought. I'm not very technical when it comes it watches which would explain why I'm sounding like a stooge. Anyways, the watch still worked and I did end up figuring out how to set the time and it was a lot easier than I first thought. Throw away the instructions from the box and follow mine instructions below.

How to set time:
1. Set Day of Week (Thursday, Friday, etc.)
Pull crown out and move it clockwise. If the time is being adjusted, you're doing it right. Keep turning it to get the right day of the week. For me I had to keep turning 3 full days, essentially 6 full 12 hour rotations.

2. Set Date (1st, 4th, 29th, etc.)
Pull crown out A LITTLE BIT. So little that there's barely a gap between it and the watch case. Then move the crown and you can set the date.

3. Set Time (12:39, 1:04, etc.)
Pull crown out normally just like when you set Day of Week and just set time as you would any other watch.

By the way, when I say pull crown out, I don't mean entirely out of the watch like I did earlier. Once you pull out the crown and it seems it doesn't want to come out a centimeter more, then that's as far as it should go.

Overall, great watch, great price, great buy.
The color of the watch band: brownVerified Purchase
Young people have no idea what they're missing (their loss is actually ours, since they're not aware of it). Not only have LP's and CD's gone out of style (replaced by downloaded MP3 files) but watches as well (replaced by the digital read-outs on cellular phones and iPods). I'm sorry, but the only thing that keeps me functional in our overly-digitized, gadget-driven world is a plain-old, plain-spoken, fashion-resistant watch like this Timex with a bland analog face that even a mother wouldn't love--only a great grandmother or someone with as long a memory as mine.

But this piece is redolent with its own memories--of the special telecasts of all-star live jazz spectaculars sponsored by Timex and hosted by former newsman, John Cameron Swaze. Amid the flurries of fringe-reception snow, you might catch momentary sight of Benny or Louis or Ella and even hear a few notes of "Perdido" or "When the Saints Come Marching In." But most memorable of all were the commercials: Timex watches being subjected in "real time" to fire and ice, poundings and shakings, high-dives into pools of water, followed by Swayze's invariably reassuring and authoritative commentary on the outcome: "The watch that takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Hate to admit that none of my Timexes purchased in the '50's are still ticking, but this one, which boasts a "ten-year battery," is thus far showing promise of a good, strong heart. And unlike the '50's version, this new and improved (can that be possible?) Timex lends extra support to those of us who have lost all but our long-term memories: it even offers a reminder of the date and day of the week as well as hands that light up without the radium coating. Best of all, it's no less affordable than its 1950's counterpart. If anything, it's kept behind the pace of inflation! (Thank you, China, for making possible the continuance of an American tradition).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2007
The color of the watch band: brown
Sturdy and attractive leather strap. Functional face. Only three functions: day, date, and time, so it's not crowded. What else would you want on a watch anyway?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2006
The color of the watch band: brownVerified Purchase
You can get a watch with many more bells and whistles, but if you want a basic timepiece that looks good and is functional, this Timex is a good bet. I have had mine for a month, and it's displaced the much fancier one that I also have, mostly because the Timex is lighter, with clean and simple lines, and does pretty much what I need it to do: tell the time, with an occasional reminder of what day it is. It has the day and date on the analog dial, which is equipped with Indiglo, making the watch very easy to read in the dark. For the money, you can't beat it. I gave it four stars instead of five because I have only owned it a month, and can't really attest to its long-term durability yet.
on April 15, 2004
Bought this watch 3 months or so ago, and I'm quite pleased with it so far. It keeps time well, the Indiglo light makes the watch very easy to read even in very dark conditions and the time is obvious with the size of the numbers and hands. The only problem, and it is a minor one, is that the date can be difficult to read with just a glance, though one can read it quite easily by taking an extra moment while looking at the watch.
on June 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
Here's the thing. This Timex watch costs about $28 on Amazon and what you get is a simple watch face, with a day/date display. OK? That's it. But that's not IT. I contend that this is the simplest, MOST PERFECT, MOST MINIMAL, MOST FUNCTIONAL watch face on Earth. Because it is so perfect, so simple, you may not like it. You want something more fancy. OK, go for it. But this watch, even against other Timex Easy Readers, is the most perfect minimal watch face ever created. White face. Sans serif hour notations. Day of the week. Date. There is no way to improve on this. It is perfect. It is so perfect you might find it embarrassing. Get over that. It is more perfect than the $22,000 chronograph the guy next to you on the subway is wearing. Why? Look at the time. When he looks at the time, he squints. You don't. Your watch is more beautiful than his. It is, because it is perfect. ..... Side notes: The leather band is rather thick, I think I could find better. Maybe in three years or so I will replace it.
on September 2, 2008
Very nice Timex!

Pros:
- simple, large numbers, easy to read
- full-display backlight
- the one I bought ran slow by 1/3 second per day (results may vary). That seems quite accurate to me, but I have never tested watches before

Cons:
- because the leather band is maroon-color, sweat from my wrist soaks in easily and colors the edges black for a few hours. So if you want this watch to always look good, don't wear it when exercising.
- day-of-week and day-of-month don't switch at the same time (day-of-week moves from 12 AM to 3 AM, and day-of-month moves from 9 PM to 1 AM), so between 1 AM and 3 AM the two don't agree.