Hamilton Beach 33969 Set and Forget 6-Quart Slow Cooker
Style Name: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$67.29 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 12, 2013
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
So, how does this compare with an old-fashioned crock pot? I've measured a bunch of things.

The heating ranges: The pot can be set for Warm, Low, or High. I heated water and measured both the temperature of the water and the temperature of the porcelain liner (using an infrared thermometer)

Old-fashioned crock pot: Warm: n/a. Low: Pot=180, Contents=150; High: Pot=260, Contents=205 (simmer)
This pot: Warm: Pot=165, Contents=145; Low: Pot=215, Contents=170; High: Pot=245, Contents=205 (simmer)

The Probe: A great feature. You can tell the pot to turn itself down to Warm once the probe reaches a set temperature. You can set the desired temperature between 140 and 180 in 5 degree increments. But you cannot use this for sous vide cooking: once the probe reaches the desired temp, the pot resets itself to Warm: It does NOT try to maintain the temp.

The Timer: You can set cooking time for Low or High of from 30 minutes to 12 hours in half-hour increments.

The Lid: The lock-down lid is a great feature and it works well. Some folks have commented that the gasket gives off an odor, and we found that to be true for the first couple of hours.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2012
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
After much research and reading of reviews on Amazon, I decided to buy this slow cooker as my first. So far we have used it a handful of times , each time netting us GREAT results. We have cooked using all the settings, including the probe setting. That in particular was eye opening, for we learned that a Boston Butt cooked on HIGH will be cooked to temperature in less than 2 hours. So this slow cooker gets hot! Calibrate your recipes when you first get your slow cooker so as to determine how long each will take. This goes for any slow cooker you end up with, not just this one.

I was worried that the slow cooker would be too big for our family (2 adults, 2 small children). I needn't have worried. It's the perfect capacity for a dinner plus one night's leftovers.

Why did I pick this model instead of the other Hamilton-Beach with a lot more reviews? Because I saw the higher model number on this one and hoped that it meant that this model is the newest one. So far I've had none of the problems people have described in the reviews for the other product, so I'd say it was a good gamble. I will update this review if the situation changes.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2013
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
My very old crock pot did a great job and I loved it. Sadly, the crock broke and I couldn't find a replacement. I bought another "slow" cooker but it cooked WAY too fast. I could set it to cook for 10 hours and the food was done (and starting to burn) after just 4 hours. It wasn't practical to leave it and go to work for the day. I kept it for a few years but it was relegated to the basement because I couldn't trust or use it. I had to get a new slow cooker.

After searching several sites, and reading a lot of reviews, I found this Hamilton Beach 33969 6-Qt cooker. I was drawn to it when I saw some reviews which stated it didn't cook too fast. The meat probe, different program modes, and lock/carry option were all nice bonuses.

I've now had this cooker for a few months and I'm working on my second round of filling up the freezer with foods prepared in it. I live alone so the 6-Qt is great for making a lot of food and freezing it for later use. Of course, the food is excellent the day that I cook it as well. I've had things cooking as long as 10 hours on low and nothing has ever burned or overcooked. The cooker drops down to warm after the cooking time has elapsed.

I've read some negative reviews (every product in the world has some of those), but I've seen nothing bad about this cooker. It cooks slow (as one would expect), it cooks thoroughly, and everything tastes great. Clean-up is very simple - nothing sticks since it's not overcooked. The hole in the cover for the probe also allows some steam to escape (it doesn't affect the cooking) so that I can still look in and see the cooking progress without having to remove the lid and release all of the heat. Programming is very easy with this cooker as well. London broil came out very tender, roasts, ribs, and chicken were cooked perfectly, sides (potatoes, mac and cheese, etc) came out great, and even pasta dishes have been made successfully.

After my last experience with the cooker which burned everything, I was gun-shy with a new cooker. I'm just so happy that I jumped back in and bought this one. Hamilton Beach did a great job with this cooker!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2012
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I love this crock pot. It has two outstanding features that the others don't--The snap on lid and the "keep warm" feature. In the past I have used crock pots that would cook with the setting of a manual dial. This new Hamilton Beach model cooks for as long as it is programmed and then it will keep the food warm until you are ready to eat. That's a great feature for those days when you're running late for dinner! Plus there's the great new lid that means you can take hot dishes anywhere without a spill or leak. Outstanding product!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2012
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Insert recipe items, program crock pot, delicious and excellent outcome. Truly set and forget it. Easy to use and great for beginner cooks. Really like the built in thermometer.
on August 31, 2013
Style Name: Standard Packaging
I read the reviews before I bought this from Amazon over a year ago. I saw the ones that said it just stopped working for them but the good reviews convinced me to buy one and hope for the best. Well, I loved it for the time it worked and used it quite a bit but it died on me too. Amazing that the manufacturer hasn't fixed the problem in all these years. I think it's the programmable feature which is not much more than a timer so I ordered the manual Hamilton Beach 6 quart slow cooker as a replacement. Wish me luck!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2014
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I purchased this 9 months ago and use it on average once per week. I just noticed a crack in the insert (ceramic pot) and called the company to inquire about warranty coverage and was told I can buy a replacement for $22. I asked if it was common for this to happen and why it wasn't covered under warranty. She replied, "yes it's common because of temperature shock and no it wasn't covered." When I asked "isn't it made to withstand high temperatures" her answer was no. While this is a great cooker, I have to give it one star due to the lack of customer service and seemingly ridiculous concept that a slow cooker isn't designed to withstand high temperatures. As a note, this has never gone from one temperature extreme to another. I've only used it after it was room temperature.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2013
Style Name: Standard Packaging
I called the number in the user manual to get the following information: Probe temperature is right on according to manufacturer's rep- important info if food has to be brought to a certain temp to be safe. Cooker can be operated in manual mode on warm 165 degrees F, low 185-200 degrees F, high 200-225 degrees F. Probe set range is 140-180 degrees F and when food reaches set temp, cooker automatically switches to warm setting. The representative also said the glaze on the ceramic cook pot does not contain lead or cadmium. My wait time to talk with a representative was less than five minutes and there was no long menu tree to work my way through when I called. A couple of button pushes is all it took to route my call.

Now for the stuff that needs improvement: This made in China 275 Watt cooker is a little on the slow side in bringing food up to temperature- 400 Watts of power would likely cure this problem. This unit comes with a very short 24 inch cord attached to the bottom center of the unit in the back; so if you're not very close to an outlet you'll need an extension cord rated for 15 amps or more.

One of the reasons I picked this unit was the lid latches for traveling without spills. The plastic ears on the lid that the latches grab onto should be more robust for long term durability. I do like the gasket on the lid but the instruction book says not to use the latches when cooking with, or storing this unit. Latches should only be used when traveling. I suppose this is to prevent eventual flatting of the gasket. When the latches are open they are slightly in the way but this is not to the point of being overly inconvenient.

The ceramic pot is not as easy to clean as those of other slow cookers I have used. Food seems to stick to it more. My MAJOR disappointment with this slow cooker is that it does not have 6 quarts of cooking capacity. The 4.5 quart GE slow cooker I'm replacing had 4.5 quarts of liquid cooking capacity with 3/8 of an inch of space left at the top. The model 33969 has 3/8 of an inch of space left at the top with only 5 quarts of liquid in it! I only gained a half a quart with this "6 quart" cooker! With 6 quarts in it, the liquid is almost over topping the crock; and it just would not be usable with more than 5 quarts in it. This is, in my opinion, a major deception on the part of Hamilton Beach and it cost them a star. If a manufacturer is deceptive about one thing it raises questions about everything else they say. For instance is the crock glaze really lead and cadmium free; and is the temp probe reading really right on?

How durable this unit will be remains to be experienced.

Features for this unit are better than average, build quality appears to be average, bang for the buck is better than average, and satisfaction is below average due to the real cooking capacity.

I would like to see this offered with an insulated, fitted case for keeping food warm while traveling. I would be willing to pay $5-7 more for this handy feature, which my old GE unit has.

Oct. 22, 2014 UPDATE
This is a follow-up to my review: When I wrote this review I did not have a dishwasher. I do now but haven't tried cleaning it with the dishwasher yet. I do not work for a competing company nor have I worked for a competing company in the past. I'm a retired emergency manager. My review is based on MY experience with THIS ITEM and does not apply to any other model variations or products this company produces. Usable capacity for this product remains at 5 quarts for me and is still a disappointment. You might get a little more out of it, but you'd better have a steady hand or things are going to get sloppy! If the manual recommends using the latches only when traveling that's what I'm going to do. Doing otherwise may affect longevity of gasket or latches and I'm just guessing on that. Longer extension cords require higher a higher amp rating to prevent problems. Fifteen amps may be overkill depending on length of the cord, but I would rather be safe than sorry; especially if this crock pot will be operating while I'm away.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2012
Style Name: Standard Packaging
I had high hopes for this slow cooker. It has great features and for the very limited time I have used it (3 uses) the settings are handy. Today, fortunately I was at home; I noticed that the counter beneath the slow cooker was wet. I removed the crock and found liquid inside the heating unit which was dripping through screw holes onto my counter. I removed the food from the crock and put some water into the crock. I dried the outside very well and tried to see where the drip could be coming from. After a few minutes I saw a drop on the side and when I rubbed by fingernail on the spot could feel the slightest imperfection. Call Hamilton Beach and they will send me a new crock but it will cost me $19.99. I'm going to go this route as it is less expensive than purchasing a new slow cooker. I seriously doubt this will last the 30 years my former slow cooker lasted.
me2you46
on August 17, 2013
Style Name: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Beware this product may or may not last you long! My slow cooker stopped working after only 2 uses. I believe that the digital display may be the issue. When I turn it on now it only shows an "S" instead of "Set" & hence it will not heat up at all. It was a waste of money & they won't refund me. I will buy a low tech, simple, & reliable model next time. The thermometer was a selling point, but I can buy one individually & use it for everything instead of just the slow cooker. I would never recommend this product to a friend or family member. I honestly advice against it. Save your money for something else, or risk loosing it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations