Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 10-Cup|Color: Blue|Change
Price:$75.00 - $424.59

on October 16, 2011
Seems all these $1000 espresso machines are fantastically tiny and well designed (and what exactly do they do for $1000? Heat water to 1000 kelvin? Blast steam through coffee grounds at warp 9.9? Must be an engineering marvel for all that money). Then I try to buy a normal coffee maker and it seems my only option was going to Target and spending $29.95 on a surprisingly gigantic monstrosity. Unfortunately my counter space is measured on the nanoscale, no way was I going to give up half of it to a coffee maker. That's why I was so excited to find this one at Bloomingdales - and then find it way cheaper here on Amazon. It looks great, and all the colors are fantastic in person (I saw all the choices at Bloomies).

Pros:
-Incredibly sturdy and well made. A pleasure to use every day. I anticipate having this a long time.
-Smallest footprint I've found.
-The 5-cup size is perfect for two adults to have a big, satisfying cup of coffee.
-You can use the included gold filter or use paper filters.
-Makes excellent coffee that is hot but still drinkable right away.

Con:
-See the silver top part? The whole silver top opens the long way (hinge at the back) to add water and the coffee. This means when you open it, it will not fit under your cabinets, so you have to pull it out to fill it, or put it somewhere that isn't under a cabinet. So while it is only 12" closed, it is 20.5" open, and you have to open it pretty much all the way to add water and coffee.
-It makes coffee pretty fast so the cup warmer thing doesn't really have time to warm your cups. This isn't really a con for me as it's not that big a deal, but if you care, then there you go.
44 comments|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2012
I won't expound on the many qualities of this coffee maker (of which there are many), as it has been well established here by the other reviews. I'm as happy as most, but obviously not all. I have not experience any of the problems these 1 and 2 star reviews are giving. This is a simple, good looking, sturdy coffee maker. If you're in a hurry for a cup of coffee, go to Starbucks.

Just a tip for those who buy this machine. After several pots of coffee have been made, you will turn it on one day and see an amber light blinking above the On/Off switch. There are no real instructions that come with this coffeemaker, so you're on your own to figure out what that blinking light means. What it means is this: It's time to descale the machine.

You can do this buy buying one of the many coffeemaker cleaners on the market (follow the instructions that come with that) or by running 4-6 cups of vinegar through the machine, followed by a few full pots of water to rinse it out.

Once this is done, simply press the small amber light (which is actually a small button) until the light stops blinking. Your DeLonghi K-Mix is now descaled and ready to produce many more pots of excellent coffee.
1010 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
I like the looks and the coffee from this maker but, per the description, it should have a 2-hour shut off. It acually says "you never have to worry about turning off your coffee maker, with 2-hour automatic shut off it does it for you". When mine was not shutting itself off I called the company and they told me this model does not have an auto shut off. So, for over $100 you can't even get a feature that comes on $15 machines but should be considered a basic on ALL coffee pots just for safety reasons. Shame on Amazon for listing a description that is not at all accurate and shame on the company for making a substandard machine and charging a ridiculous price.
88 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2012
This DeLonghi worked well for 6 months. Then it started leaking large amonts of water with every use. Repeated calls to DeLonghi service of no avail. Finally, two weeks after one of
my several calls, DeLonghi returned a call on my voicemail, with a number the call -- the same 1-800 number that sends callers into an endless black hole. Finally, gave up;
threw it out and bought a Krups.
on April 11, 2012
Have owned mine for almost a year now and my list of pros grows shorter by the month.

PROS:

It does shut off after 2 hours

Looks good - but silver hard to keep clean. Dripped decalcifying solution on it and now have permanent mark.

Makes decent coffee

CONS:

Need's lots of space above it: I think coffee maker manufacturers assume everyone can place their coffee makers on a counter with no cupboards above it. I think this is a luxury. Most of us find room under a cupboard. And while this little beauty feels small in a kitchen, that changes when you go to make a pot. You will need to pull it out from under the cupboard (which is pretty easy. It is light and sits on a base that moves very easily). The water goes in the back and that lid is pretty short but you'll need to be able to reach it. The coffee goes in the front and that lid is most of the top which needs to be lifted to a full 90 degrees. Lift it less than straight up and it falls back down. I measured the 10cup total hight with front lid open and it is 22in.

Drips about 2 tablespoons of water out the handle so I MUST put a folded paper towel under it every time I brew. Ruins the pretty look on my counter.

Blinking light wont go off though I have decalcified it monthly. Double one time and unplugged for 24 hours a few times to reset it. Worse yet there is no guidance in the manual about this light. I searched the Internet for ideas.

Cannot pour all coffee or water out of carafe. It gets stuck under the lip of the carafe.

I guess that is all. But between the pool of water coming from the handle that runs all over my counter if I forget the paper towel, the blinking light, and the decalcification stains, I no longer enjoy making or now really even drinking my coffee. My husband who is a CFO of an engineering firm simply can't believe coffee makers (by any manufacturer) can't be engineered better. He says if his company put out this bad design and poor execution they would all be fired. C'mon people, we can do better than this!

Defeated and disappointed. (If you know of a good coffee maker, please let me know)
1010 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2012
This coffee machine looks really cool sitting on the counter and it makes great coffee. However, water leaks out of the handle after a few weeks of use and makes a puddle on the counter. Whatever you do there is always water left in the pot after you clean it, it seems to get trapped in the top plastic part of the pot and there is always water in the top part where you put the coffee too. We managed to crack our glass pot and it is impossible to get a replacement. Delonghi customer service people are rude and unhelpful and the part seems permanently out of stock.
on October 21, 2011
This is a great looking coffee maker.It heats the water to proper temp and has a shower-head delivery system.The coffee is very good, about on par with the Moccamaster, not as good as an Aeropress. Its great if you just need to make 2 mugs without any fuss, or have a small kitchen.Its really cute.I have the aqua blue.
on April 22, 2012
I am not a huge coffee snob but I do love a good brewed cup of coffee made at home. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Cuisinart coffee maker, other than it was plain ol' black. (In fact, it had a feature I loved about it, the timer...anyway, I digress.) But I saw the yellow kmix in the Crate and Barrel catalog and immediately had to have one. I got the blue instead, as it stood out better in my kitchen.

Overall, it is a good coffee maker as others reviewers have said. I can confirm that overhead space necessary to open the top compartments but I just pull out the machine so it clears the cabinets. It makes a pretty good cup of coffee but I recommend using at least a medium roast to get a good, strong cup of coffee. For reference, I used to use the Seattle's Best #3 blend with the Cuisinart but with this one I find that #4 roast gets a better cup for me.

Now, on to quirks:

- Best to wet the edges of the coffee filter a tiny bit, so they stick to the edges of the cone shape. Not sure if it's the force of the water drip or what but I found it pulled the edges down on a few occasions when I forgot to wet them.
- Having had the machine for 3 months, with almost daily use, a mysterious light started flashing above the on/off switch. It's the descaling indicator, something I often forget to do with coffee makers. Fine, I'll run the vinegar/water mixture through and flush with water several times. Well, having done so, the light has not yet gone away! I found no other malfunctions than the light that keeps flashing though now the light is just a nuisance rather than helpful. ((shrugs))

So...not dealmakers in my opinion but I wanted to point them out.
55 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2012
This is a must-have for anyone who enjoys fresh coffee. It is simple to use and brews great coffee. The coffee measuring spoon (included along with the mesh filter) may not be right for those who appreciate a richer darker coffee. 5 level spoons are right if you choose to use your current measuring spoon. The warmer keeps the coffee at the right temperature. Never a burnt taste nor a lukewarm cup of coffee. Easy to clean and operate.
on March 22, 2012
What a stylish coffee maker! I am so pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone. I debated over which color to go with aqua or yellow and I am so happy with the yellow. It brightens up my kitchen and is so darn pretty! I don't find the coffee bitter and I used pre-ground...perhaps if you grind your own beans, you could over-grind them and cause bitterness, the manual does warn against that. I get 3 cupsworth out of this coffe maker based off of my cup size and amount of milk to coffee ratio. The coffee comes out at a perfect temperature for me. I add milk and it isn't luke warm after the addition, it is still pleasantly warm. The reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the space for the grounds is quite small. Be very cautious with the amount you add as your filter could floweth over. I think I am in love!