Top critical review
9 of 11 people found this helpful
Unstable, constant lockups, pre-loaded with crapware
on December 14, 2011
This is the 4th android device I have owned and easily the most unreliable and unusable one.
Phone constantly locks up on me or has regular issues. In only two weeks of usage here are some of the more common issues:
* Google maps will lock up.
* Turning on the wifi gives 'data errors'
* Checking for updates from AT&T gives 'receive fail... because of some error in the network'
* SD card often not recognized
* Regular 'App "X" is no longer working Force Close' prompts.
* Can not power off cleanly (It locks at the power off screen necessitating a battery removal)
* Market place apps will not download/update
* Text messages will not be delivered
* PC will not recognize when it is plugged in to the USB cable
* Gmail notifications don't arrive
All of these symptoms will disappear if enough reboots are performed - usually 4 or 5. But before long they will return.
A factory reset did not clear these issues up. Symptoms occur on both data and wifi connections.
Less critical but highly irritating are the ways that AT&T mod'd the Android OS
* There are a fair amount of pre-installed crapware on this, not only do the the loathed Layar and YP Yellow Pages make a return but there are several AT&T titles some of which require paid subscriptions to fully activate.
* Several of the apps constantly remain running in the background : Layar, AT&T Hot Spots, Facebook, Twitter, AT&T update are all running and can not ever be turned off.
This phone is essentially completely worthless to me - even if I had gotten it for free it's just not worth the massive amount of time lost into getting it to work and headaches it has induced.
It's not even a good trainer on jailbreaking and flashing as I can't located any ROMs that I can load onto it currently.
I think I'm just going to have to go back to my older phone see how many times I can get this thing to skip across the duck pond out back.