Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Breaking TWIG
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on January 15, 2014
I found this book disturbing. It begins with this child being raped by her step brother. Her mother is abusive, her step father pretty much sits back and watches the abuse, while being her friend. Then the clincher–when she turns eighteen her and the stepfather fall in love and have a physical relationship. How do you spell pedophile. This man raised her as his daughter. Now he is sleeping with her. This is a disturbed, abused, damaged girl. And this grown man takes her as his lover. Really. I found the story to feel creepy and wrong. Well written, yes. Interesting characters, yes. Core subject matter was distasteful. And to be honest I wasn’t able to finish the book. Got 75% done and just couldn’t do it anymore. Just to many things wrong with this story for me.
2222 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2011
With a voice as rich as sorghum molasses, Epperson seductively draws the reader into the rural south of the 60s and 70s. In the southern tradition of Tennessee Williams and William Faulkner, the author explores the depths of the human heart and spirit, with wisdom, humor, and unflinching truthfulness.

Becky Leigh Cooper's coming of age is tumultuous and touching, as she bounces back and forth between her mother Helen's abuse and her stepfather Frank's tenderness. Although the story sounds depressing, Epperson's black humor keeps it compelling and, at times, even joyful. Becky's struggle to prevail--becoming neither a "pick" (victim) nor a "picker" (abuser)--rivets the reader. What evil will Helen try next? How will brave Becky counter? Can Frank keep peace between the stepdaughter he loves and the wife he endures? Who will win this desperate contest of souls?

Discovering new authors for a reasonable price makes my Kindle a great way to read. I'm glad to find Deborah Epperson's book and look forward to the next one.
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
I will start by saying, I am still not sure how I feel about the story. I could not stop reading it, it kept my interest even though I was not completely comfortable with the premise.
The book was well written, there were a couple spots that the timeline was a little confusing, but it was still good.
I believe any book that makes you think or wonder is a great book.
I has a couple girlfriends get this to get their opinion.

There is not graphic detail, but there is severe abuse, and rape to Becky. The story and rape both start at age 13. I tell you this because it is on first page of book so does not seem like a spoiler and because not everyone is comfortable with this story line.

I enjoyed it and found it to be thought provoking. If you are ok with storyline I would definitely get it .
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
This story was filled with rich characters and an interesting story.

It was easy to get wrapped up in Twig's journey through her childhood with an abusive mother, to a mental hospital where she was abused again back to the home where all the trouble started to start a new life for herself in the most unlikely of ways.

Much of what her mother did to her or put her through was inexcusable but it was interesting to see the way the story wrapped up and how they pasted together a semblance of a mother/daughter relationship.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2012
Let me start off by saying I am an AVID reader. I have an appetite for reading that is insatiable. I'll finish a book and immediately reach (click) for the next thing to read. Breaking Twig left me wanting more, more, and more. I finished it in less than 24 hours (yeah, you know that car you honked at that was stopped at a green light? That was probably me, reading in traffic...), but I didn't move on to the next book immediately. I sat back and reflected on the story told in Breaking Twig. It was a strange sensation for me to be done with a book and not on the prowl for the next; so odd, even my children commented on it!

Breaking Twig will have you laughing, crying, cheering - to put it simply, you are INVOLVED with this book. Sure, as a reader, you can't put it down, not just because it is a great read, but because Deborah Epperson pulls you in with her fluid writing skill and believable characters.

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the next novel from this very talented author.
on May 3, 2013
This story had potential and was, grammatically speaking, well written. However there were many disappointing qualities. First, the characters were flat and unlikable. The villains lacked any redeeming or sympathetic qualities. Characters that should have had some degree of honesty, honor or integrity instead acted on the whim of "Momma" simply because she was sexually appealing. Even the heroine/victim, instead of learning any lesson or rebelling against the injustices served upon her, seeks only to become a "Picker" herself. Everyone acts in entirely selfish and self-serving ways, without any regard for what is right or good. At the end, we are simply left to accept, or not, as there is no redemption or remorse and the "bad behavior" simply continues. Even characters who are "good" , by loving these unlovable characters become pitiful and unlikable in their weakness. The story itself is depressing. Bad things continue to happen without end. There is no happy ending here, no lessons learned, no redemption and no resolution. It was only my own dogged determination to finish the book in order to write an honest review which kept me reading. That and a hope that in the end there would be, not simply a n explanation of why, but also a what now?
on April 1, 2012
I read the reviews before downloading this, and was not expecting it to be so dark. I almost put it down unfinished, but kept thinking the story would get a little lighter and "Twig" would find some happiness. For a time, she seemed to, then she was slammed again and I found myself depressed for her. If you want a happy ever after fairy tale, this is not the book for you. If I had known the true nature of this book, I would not have read it. That being said, it was well written and possibly truer to life for some people than we want to admit. That is the only reason I gave it two stars.
77 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2014
The writing was good. The story was interesting.
BUT . . . SPOILERS *****SPOILERS! This whole review is SPOILERS!!

This book made the sexual relationship between father and stepdaughter seem acceptable, even positive. It is not!
The stepfather married her mother when she was 13 years old, a child.
The new stepfather's grown son rapes her soon after, and no one believes her.
The stepfather is still married to her mother when the affair with the stepdaughter begins.
The stepdaughter chooses to accept his attraction and sexual use of her to survive,
Then she feels that she needs someone to love her after all the abuse.
So she is thrilled that stepfather loves her more than his wife, her mom.
I understand all of that. BUT, it is still INCEST. It is against the law. It is WRONG!!

In addition, after the most horrific abuse from her mother, she continues a relationship with her.
The mother hurts her in ways that would put the mother in jail for life today.
The book implies you have to understand and forgive because the mother had a bad childhood herself.
No! You may accept the explanation, but you do not stay with the abuser, as she abuses over and over.
Forgiveness is best WHEN the person acknowledges the damage, and makes a sincere effort to change.

This book justifies the terrible wrongs done to and by the main characters.
None of these wrongs are justifiable, nor are they "all for the best" in the end.
Yes, it is fiction. But it admires and glorifies, and minimizes and excuses, unforgivable choices and behaviors.
It made me feel sick. STAY AWAY!
on February 7, 2012
I really couldn't put this down. Kept me on the edge of my seat! This story explores the fact that every family has it's own secrets and every family has two sides: the one the world sees and the one behind closed doors
on October 2, 2013
This book was suffocatingly bad. It literally has no redeeming features.

Not one single realistic character. A narrating protagonist who is monotonous and repetitive. A terrible home situation which is stifling and morally flat. Incestuous affair between daughter and stepfather is the 'love interest', and is portrayed in an unintentionally sickening manner.

Protagonist spends two years at a community college between two chapters, and is changed not at all by this experience. Apparently college classes, and the effects of education, defied the author's descriptive powers.

Protagonist continues living in said airless house because she is 'taking care of daddy's gardens', but apparently these too defied the author's writing skills because nothing is said about them.

Any area of potential interest is studiously avoided and the horrid interactions between uninteresting characters are boringly and repetitively dwelt upon.

Avoid investing time in this dead end of a book.