Pros:
1. Size. The 4" screen is the right size for me for 1 handed operation.
2. Call quality. I'm one of those old fashioned people who make phone calls and I've had no issues with hearing or being heard.
3. HTC Sense. I've had other Android phones and didn't get it. Now I do and Sense really makes the phone sing.
4. World phone, can use it while I'm travelling out of the country.

Cons:
1. Sense 3.0, no timeframe on the upgrade to 3.5
2. Gingerbread, no timeline for upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. Upgrade timing is a general problem with all Android phones.
3. Sprint's 4G tax. I get that Sprint need to pay for their network upgrade but an extra $10 per month almost put me off buying it.

Summary: This phone does everything right at a great price.

The 2 main things that I need from a phone is that it has great call quality and I can use it with one hand and this phone really delivers.

It being a world phone is a huge bonus for me.
on November 9, 2011
The EVO Design is a long, slim smartphone reminiscent of the original Droid Incredible but longer. It fits perfectly in my hand, even with a Seidio case on it, and is perfectly sized for one-handed texting. Having owned an original EVO for just over a year, I immediately noticed this phone seems quicker -- the Sense UI in the EVO never really felt slow, but in the Design it has a more instantaneous feel. Sense 3.0 is amazing. If you don't like the ringer, wallpaper, or layout options that HTC has pre-loaded, you can go over to their Beta website and download hundreds more for free. Quite a nice feature. I also instantly noticed the additional internal storage, and how you can remove the Sprint crapware that comes pre-installed. Bravo!
The 5 MP camera seems to take better pictures than the 8 MP in the original EVO. I'm not sure what the deal is, but pics taken without the flash are less blurry as well. There are more settings for picture taking, too, but the pics seem better even without any tweaks. *shrug*
The phone feels substantial. Although I'm personally not a fan of how the brushed aluminum in the middle of the back cover looks, there's no denying it adds a durable feel to the phone. I'd prefer if the entire back were made up of the soft-touch plastic that the rest of the back is covered with (it's super grippy).
The screen is super. Again, it seems sharper than the original EVO, especially with small text and icons.
Seriosuly, this phone is a bargain at $79.99 (upgrade price) currently. I first got a Samsung Conquer for the same price, but after tinkering with one of these bad boys at a local electronics store, I exchanged the Conquer for the EVO Design. If you want a smartphone that is smaller than the huge ones coming out as of late, it's your best option. As an added benefit, HTC confirmed this week that the Design will definitely get the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.
So in summary, I'd say if you are a current first-gen EVO owner, you'll most likely love the Design, unless you want a huge-a*s screen that borders on the size of a tablet (read Galaxy S II, upcoming Galaxy Nexus etc.) :)
If you want something that fits in your jeans pocket perfectly, with snappy performance, a great camera, nice screen and the industry's best and most customize-able UI, get the EVO Design 4G. It's an amazing value all around.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2012
I understand that battery life with most smartphones isn't great. This is my first smartphone (other than my work Blackberry, which I hate) so I'm still getting used to all the capabilities.

With all that capability comes many functions and apps that run in the background. I understand disabiling the auto update and various other background functions(GPS antenna is a big draw on power) improves battery life, but also reduces the functionality of the phone.

So, in short, keep your charger or a spare battery handy if you use the phone a lot. I can get 3 hours talk time and running apps before the battery gets low(but not dead) and almost double that if I disable GPS, 4G,WiFi antenna and other background apps. Standby time also has the same dramatic change depending on background app/antenna use.

Other than the battery life, I like this phone. It has a more substantial feel than the Samsungs and was more compact than the Samsungs, though not as compact as the iPhone. Android is good, the interface isn't quite Apple, but it's still rather intuitive and easy to learn. This phone runs quickly, the 5MP camera with flash takes great pictures and I've only had one situation where it locked up and I had to remove the battery to reset. It's only a few months old, so hopefully it continues to be a good phone.

Update 6/17/13: This phone began acting slow and buggy after a year. It became worse after upgrading to "Ice Cream Sandwich" Android operating system. I kept the phone up to date, but it just kept getting slower and more buggy. It would turn itself off and even after replacing the battery, nothing changed.

As I was recently upgrading to my new iPhone 5 at Best Buy, I asked the mobile phone guy if he had any problems with HTC. He said their phones, the older ones (which this one phone would qualify now) seemed to slow down and age very quickly. I won't buy an HTC again, not any time in the near future.
on January 24, 2012
Best phone i have ever had. Looks sleek, handles great. I am a little lost with the whole syncing thing, and am definitely not a fan of how the back camera bumps out (the phone doesn't lay exactly flat). Also, it has terrible battery life (5 hours ??). That said, it is beautiful to look at, handles all my apps great, it's fast and has lot to offer. Well done
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had this phone for a few months now, so it's about time I typed out my issues with it. Not that it matters, since it's apparently not for sale anymore on Amazon.

Pros:

It looks cool
Tons of Android market apps to mess around with
Lots of space
Nice, brilliant screen
Decent camera

Cons:

Freezes/crashes constantly
Takes a bit of luck for the phone to connect to the Sprint network
4G phone doesn't actually connect to the 4G network, ever
Non-intensive usage will drain a full battery in less than 6 hours
Sprint adware is annoying, and uninstallable. NASCAR is stupid
Keyboard auto-correct is only useful half of the time, a nuisance the other half
Flat, rectangular shape (generic smartphone shape) is not ergonomic at all, and gives a very uncomfortable phone call experience. Or am I the only person that still actually uses the phone feature on these things?

Honestly, I feel that the best part about my phone is the wicked cool Invisible Shield I had installed, and that's not even part of the phone, so... bleh.

2/5 Stars because it does a ton of stuff, but none of them particularly well. With the battery as pathetic as it is, this is definitely NOT the phone you'd want to have when your car breaks down out in the middle of nowhere. Reliability is severely lacking from this product.
on December 26, 2011
I love my phone. I wanted something with all the new features but did not want something big, so this phone fits all my needs. It works great and fits easily in my hand or pocket. it is light and slim, cameras on both sides.
on June 15, 2012
This phone is flat out awesome and fast! I am over pleased with my phone. I recommend this phone to anyone that wants a super fast phone that isn't huge and bulky.
on February 1, 2012
I bought two of these phones as upgrades for our old LG's. The phones have most of the features I would like, and generally perform well. I did have an issue with one phone, after almost two months it started to malfunction. Since the Amazonwireless warranty only covers the first month, I had to go to Sprint to get this addressed. After some testing they have decided to order me a new phone. Unfortunately, that costs ~40 dollars more. I have seen other reviews online reporting similar behavior, so this may be a wider problem. Looking forward to getting the replacement, and I hope it has no further problems.
on March 28, 2015
Verified Purchase
SO ridiculously slow! I can't believe this was ever even on the market. trying to use facebook or chrome is like using a 90s computer.
on March 24, 2012
I have had this phone for several months. 4-G is not available but still paying for it. I like the phone but the camera is very senstive and impossible to see graphics in the sun and very little even when shaded. Other than this I would rate 4 stars.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations