Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on December 20, 2015
This phone was my first smartphone and it was awful. Do not get this phone. Repeat, do NOT get this phone. Within a 3-4 months after I got the phone, it would lag and freeze and the apps would crash. I went from this phone to an iPhone 6 and it was a HUGE leap and I'm so happy with the phone I have now.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2012
My son recently purchased a Galaxy SII phone (Sprint) and after seeing it in action, I was almost pursuaded away from my love affair with Motorola...ALMOST. My Droid X was the first Moto phone I had ever owned, and to be perfectly honest, while I was sold on Android, I wasn't as much sold on Motorola. In fact, leading up to my initial purchase, I had done enough research as to find a pile of unflattering data regarding Motorola Android phones. I first went with the HTC Incredible (first generation) and within a couple weeks, I was just about ready to say so long to my goal of getting the X. Long story short, on a whim, I traded in my DInc for the X and haven't looked back.

I have been a HUGE fan of Motorola ever since. So much so, that whatever I decided to get to replace my X I had iron-clad plans that it'd for sure be manufactured by Motorola. Not sure why or how, but slowly I began to get the 'itch' for something new seeing as my model is coming up on 2 years old now (a virtual dinosaur in the mobile phone industry). I began to read about the Galaxy Nexus and slowly, especially after seeing a video about its new capabilities with ICS installed, I began to wonder if I was THAT tied to Moto after all.

What really brought me back was how awesome the Razr was...pure and simple. I'm not here to say that its better or worse than the Galaxy Nexus, or the HTC Rezound or whatever choice you happen to be leaning towards. But if you're looking for a thin phone, ain't nobody can compete with the Razr--NOBODY. That was a gigantic selling point for me...in fact, I'd have to go so far as to say it was the MAIN selling point. Don't get me wrong, the Samsung GN is mighty thin--and the screen is actually slightly larger and let's be honest: the Galaxy Nexus has (at least as I write this anyway) the best screen available, and I don't think that anyone can even argue otherwise. More pixels, better technology and color! Wow, the color is absolutely unbelievable. But with that being said, the Razr is no light weight. It has a Super Amoled screen, too and is visibly better than the Bionic (although I have a friend who insists otherwise...I honestly think he's going blind). Great, vibrant screen which is well above average, if not the absolute equal to the iPhone 4S (I would argue better). One other main selling point to me was the camera on the back...while I am hearing reports that while at just 5MP the GN takes some pretty sweet photos, many say that are better than the 8MP Razr...however, the video camera is genuinely better on the Razr, and for me that was the tipping point. Having become rather used to the X's camera, I figured if the Razr's was even just as good, I'd be fairly happy (who knows, maybe I'm just easy to please in this department).

Size--while the screen is the same size as the original Droid X, the thin factor also makes the phone feel a little like it was initially fatter, but was placed inside a press and flattened out. As a result, its wider--and as it turns out, by quite a bit. Initially I was upset that the power button was no longer on top as my DX had been. Reaching for the top has become a very big habit of mine and a tough one to break...but I realized quickly that for those who generally hold their phone using their right hand, the power button is actually VERY conveniently placed almost perfectly where your thumb rests. It didn't take long for me to re-think my position on button placement--that is until I realized that the volume rocker was directly beneath the power button separated by about 3/4ths of an inch. Sorry but that distance is not quite enough in my opinion. I have managed to accidentally turn the ringer ON by mistake instead of shutting off the phone on multiple occasions--once resulting in quite an embarassing moment. I have no doubt that I'll eventually become as familiar with its awkward placement as I was with my original Droid, but I just thought I'd pass along that one particular gripe. I imagine the engineers who designed the phone had their reasons for placing both buttons where they did--but if any of them are reading this: for the next models, try to place one either on a different side or at least separate them by more than an inch, k? I'd appreciate it.

Also, I feel it important to warn you that because the phone is wider due to its extreme thinness, if you have small hands, you may seriously want to consider a different model. Where the Droid X actually fit in my hand quite comfortably, the semi-rubberized texture gave it a very & natural feel for holding and navigating with just one hand. On the flip side, that same comfortable feeling is almost non-existent with the Razr. While the phone is in every way more solid and better manufactured due to the superior second generation Gorilla Glass and the Kevlar back, it doesn't have that rubber-like coating which makes the grip easier to hold and use one-handed. There IS a learning curve to be sure, and while I am slowly coming around, I can't even imagine how difficult it'd be if I had very small hands. Yet another reason why investigating IN PERSON before making a cell phone purchase is important in order to avoid buyers remorse.

Having the ability to add memory is a pretty big plus for me as well--but not a deal breaker by any stretch. However, that COULD be for some, so keep it in mind when weighing your options. One thing that DID bother me, but after thinking about it became moot was the fact that the Razr did not have a removeable battery. I have to admit, this bugged me silly--at first. But with all the smartphones I have used over the years, I have relied MORE on having a spare wall charger at work, and a car charger while on the go than pulling the battery out and replacing it. Even with my 2 year old X I still just constantly kept it plugged in, and even though after so long the battery just didn't maintain a charge as long as it used to, as long as I'm not far from my charger, it wasn't a big issue, so I figured who cares? Besides, NONE of the iPhones have come with removeable batteries and look at the fan base they have...mighty impressive I must say. But it CAN be a big issue depending on how you use your phone. I know some who would rather go with the Razr Maxx simply because the battery is absolutely monstrous and allows them the freedom to go all-out without charging hardly at all over the course of several days (this is obviously for the power-users). Think carefully before deciding because after the 30 days are up, the last think you'll want is buyers remorse.

Speed...lets be clear: going from the X to this phone was similar to making the jump from a Geo Metro to a Ferrari...okay, maybe not quite that dramatic, but I think you get the idea. This part of the Razr has been dealt with in almost ridiculous detail, so I won't bother with it, other than to say that I do not live in a 4G LTE area, so for those also in my situation, think about it. If you don't really NEED a 4G LTE phone and your area does not support it just yet, you may consider putting off buying one until that becomes available. I HAVE used the phone in 4G areas when visiting other cities, and holy freakin' cow, man its a whole different experience. Even while using 3G I notice much faster performance, probably due to the dual-core processor and additional RAM. On WiFi its utterly amazing.

Performance...is, well, about what I expected to be honest...which was a lot to be sure. The occasional lag doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight, although I would imagine with further use and the more apps I load, I suspect it'll show up eventually, but so far, I gotta say its run as smooth as glass, much better than my X ever did. Kudos to Motorola for such a cleaner experience all around.

I really like how the 4 dedicated buttons on the bottom of the Razr are NOT actully physical buttons. That was one thing I really liked about my old DInc that I now enjoy with this model. NOT a fan of the physical buttons. Even though on my X they always worked properly and never let me down, I just really like how they're laid out on the Razr instead. I know many people do not like them, so this may or may not be a problem for you.

Let me include this point while I'm thinking about it: I find it ALWAYS smart to whenever possible, go into a store and physically handle the phone you plan to buy. My sister, who was sold on her iPhone 4 thought that my X was simply enormous and too big for her hands. However, after playing with it for a while, and seeing that the X seemed like it weighed almost half that of her iPhone, well it didn't take long for her to make the switch. But even so, for those with small hands & fingers, a bigger phone isn't necessarily better. And while the Razr IS much thinner than almost everything else out there, due to that in particular, the phone is also slightly wider, as well. Either way, its VERY important to weigh one in person before making the purchase only to realize your hand is simply too small for the phone. With that said, the phone doesn't seem to big--at least to me. I found that it fit comfortably in my hand and my pocket, which is a major factor to consider, too.

Calls...the phone worked as well as could be expected. I could hear fine, and the speaker was pretty decent, although not superior. It depends a lot on what you plan to use the phone for. Again, something you ought to try out IN person before buying. I am used to Verizon never losing a signal (at least not to my knowledge with any phone I've ever used since making the switch from AT&T), and with this new phone, I am as happy as ever. Verizon never disappoints in this area.

There are some apps I have yet to use, but I know of several co-workers who have employed them with great fanfare, like Go To Meeting (my boss can't say enough about this one, absolutely loves it). QuickOffice is another well-used app which allows you to create and edit everything from a Word Doc to an Excel Spreadsheet. They are compatible with all of the more famous counterparts and work flawlessly. I don't recommend using them as a habit, but they are mighty convenient when you find yourself away from your computer and need to make and save changes to something from work or from wherever. VERY cool and useful under the right circumstances.

Multi-tasking...lets face it, in today's world, if you have a phone that cannot multi-task, it is only slightly more than useless. Having a phone with such power behind it like this one allows for multi-tasking on a much larger scale than I could even with my old X--which pulled it off fairly well. Again, the 1Gig of RAM and the 1.2G Dual-Core Processor makes this a breeze, and you'll almost forget you have more than one item running it does it so well. Another plus for Android in my opinion.

Quality...face it, while Motorola may not make their phones as 'Pretty' as say the HTC models or the iPhones, but man is this phone built like a tank. Kevlar back and Gorilla Glass front...? While I wouldn't consider this an excuse to start throwing your phone on the floor to prove a point, this phone could conceivably take more abuse than probably any other phone available today. I am a BIG believer in purchasing a screen protector and case to protect your investment, but the one thing I hate about phone covers is that they make your otherwise thin device almost gargantuan...whats the point of having the world's thinnest phone if you have to hide it behind such a thick shell? Some will feel better purchasing a case, and some will be just fine without one. Everybody's different, so decide for yourself. Personally, this is my first smartphone without a case of any kind, and I'm loving it.

Web surfing...typically great. Everything I expected. NOT as smooth as how Samsung does it, though (hint, hint Motorola...I don't care if you copy it outright, but come on, check out the Galaxy SII for ease of use, especially when bookmarking and opening a new tab--MUCH more superior...almost ridiculously so IMO).

Battery life...while way better than my X was the day I opened it, I would still invest in a car charger/wall charger, especially if you're as anal as I am about having your phone dip below 60% batter life (I don't know why, but it bugs the crap outta me). If that is a major concern for you, look into the Razr Maxx--which considering how much larger that battery is, really isn't that much thicker overall. Again, everyone is different, but this IS a factor to consider heavily depending how how often you use your phone. If you live in a 4G area, keep in mind that your battery goes down by leaps & bounds more than using 3G service...and even worse if you also have a habit of leaving your GPS on. Food for thought.

One of the things I bought this phone for was for video chatting using the front-facing camera...unfortunatley I vastly over-estimated how much I thought I would be using this function. As I write this, I haven't been able to use it even once. Nobody I know of has a front facing camera which I actually WANT to chat with--yet. I look forward to putting this to great use as soon as my wife gets a phone with a similar feature. For those who want to know more, I suggest you look at some of the other reviews here by those who use it often.

Conclusion...when the Razr upgrades to Ice Cream Sandwich, I would dare say that in all areas save the screen resolution only, this will be the equal of the Galaxy Nexus. An absolutely phenomenal mobile device which can be used for so much more than most people even dream of. Congrats to Motorola for yet another Grand Slam. Stay tuned soon for further updates as I continue to break in my Razr.

***UPDATE #1***

Screen is just freakin' awesome. Now that isn't saying its better than a few others out there, but just that coming from the DX to this was a significant improvement. The color saturation with the Super Amoled display is absolutely beautiful, no ifs ands or buts about it.

The seemingly total absence of Motoblur is not only a blessing, but a very welcome one at that. I never really had an older model where it was particularly invasive (although it was almost universally panned) but the difference between this and the Droid X is quite noticeable--and not just in the obvious ways, either. One thing I've wondered about is why did Motorola go from the previous standard of 7 home screens to just 5? I imagine its because they did some kind of study or something, but I kinda miss it to be honest. Although, all I have to do is download Go Launcher for free in the Market and I can go back to 7 if I so desire.

One of the biggest selling points of the Android platform is its almost endless ability to customize however you want. I'm a bit of a nerd in this department, so I alter my homescreen, backgrounds and widgets almost daily (yeah, I know--too much) and the ability to make the phone look almost 100% different on a regular basis is an enormous PLUS in my book. It gives the illusion that without paying for it, I have gone out and purchased another phone. For me, personally--this is one of the MOST important advantages that Android currently holds over iOS--although it would seem that apple is slowly being pushed towards this--albeit kicking and screaming, but heading there nevertheless.

The Power Saving Mode on the Razr is truly remarkable. Without going into too much unnecessary detail, it allows you to shut off critical, power-hungry functions at specific times of the day, or when the battery dips below a pre-determined level. Turn down the screen brightness at specific times? Yup, it can do that. While Motorola claims working it right can save you as much as 30% in battery power, that may be only if you use it aggressively and shut off virtually ALL apps running in the background, and while that CAN be done, it kinda removes the word 'Smart' from its moniker when you shut off its ability to actually act Smartly. But either way, that is the tradeoff you have to deal with if you want more battery at the end of your day. Those already familiar with Android are probably already well aware of the battery life issues, so don't expect too much difference here. Prepare by getting a car charger and an extra wall charger at work and you'll be fine, even with heavy usage. One more important trick is to shut off 4G IF you live in an area where it isn't up & running just yet. We are supposed to get it within the next 6 months, but I'm not holding my breath...however, keep in mind that having 4G ON is notoriously battery-draining on these devices...and needlessly so if you only have 3G capabilities currently. Shutting that off alone should save you I'm guessing 5-15% battery by the end of the day. Just be smart in how you use your phone and enjoy the fantastic speeds and abilities of this truly amazing device.

***UPDATE #2***

I'd like to take a moment to talk about the forward-facing camera...It is one of the single most important reasons why I wanted this particular model. Well, after several days of tinkering around--and I really don't consider myself a beginner when it comes to Android or smartphones in general--but I simply could NOT find ANY app to open which allowed me to use it to make video calls. None. And trust me, I LOOKED. I finally had to google it, which is probably what I should've done from the get-go, but being the stubborn person that I am, I kept thinking that it just HAD to be hiding in the app drawer SOMEWHERE, I just wasn't looking good enough. Okay, first off, go and head over to the app Market--now re-named "Google Play" (c'mon guys, seriously? what a stupid name) and search for 'Google Talk' and download that...which is probably why I couldn't find it in the first place--because it wasn't there to begin with. Then go to your camera app...when you hold the camera in landscape mode turn on the forward camera (its the button on the far right at the top of the screen). Back OUT of the app without closing it, and go open up 'V-Tok' and THEN you'll be able to make and receive video calls. Honestly, that sure seems like quite a few steps more than necessary, doesn't it? But then again, I don't write programs and can't come up with a good reason for WHY it ought to be simpler, but I am certainly hoping that the update to ICS 4.0 will make this a lot easier than it is now...because in all honesty, it really shouldn't be THIS difficult.

***UPDATE 2.1***

I've been REALLY enjoying my phone, but yesterday out of nowhere, I had a hiccup--which was problematic enough that I actually packed up the whole thing and took it back to the store pretty certain that I'd be walking out with a new phone or a different model altogether. Essentially I noticed early on in the day that where it says 3g/4g in the status bar at the top of the screen, that icon was just missing in a place where I have never had reception issues before with Verizon. Now, I HAD been told by Verizon that reception issues MAY be a problem in general as they were tweaking their 4g towers which are being installed here locally, but that would ONLY affect the phone for a few moments at a time. Well this was considerably longer than a 'few moments'. Turns out I could text and make calls, but I couldn't receive or send Data of ANY kind--unless I was hooked up to WiFi. After re-starting the phone several times I figured this issue was obviously one that was beyond me, so after briefly considering re-setting my phone to factory specs, I decided to bring it in. The Verizon Rep said mine was the second Razr which had come in that day. But it was an easy fix. Heres what he did: he put the phone in Airplane Mode, which turns off the cellular connection, but leaves the phone ON, then he turned Airplane Mode off and THEN he re-started the phone. As soon as it booted up, voila! Service was back. I was profoundly grateful that I didn't have to go through re-loading everything back onto my phone which I had spent a great deal of time customizing to my particular tastes (which I can admit changes--almost daily). So for anyone else who may experience this same issue, give it a try first and if it still doesn't work, you may have a lemon...hope this helps.

***FINAL Update***

Received the OTA Android 4.0 update a couple days ago and I now feel like I have a brand new phone. Ice Cream Sandwich isn't just some small move up from Gingerbread, it almost entirely re-vamps the phone from top to bottom. Almost everything in the User Interface is either different, or overhauled and LOOKS slightly different, or acts different. Some are going to LOVE the changes, others, not so much. I fall somewhere in between, where I LOVE how it all works, but a few things are changed--but not necessarily for the better (IMO). Before, I could text and press the mic button using the Swype keyboard or the stock Android and both would conjure up the same Google Voice to Text function. The new and improved Voice to Text (and it IS a generational move in the RIGHT direction) can ONLY be activated after you have the Swype keyboard up, and then you bring down the top bar with a swipe of your hand and only THERE will you have the option to activate Google Voice Typing. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't activate just by pressing the default mic button on the Swype keyboard. I've checked within Swype to see if there is a setting change which will allow it, but so far, even though I THOUGHT I had, it still won't. Sorry, but that was NOT the right move in my opinion. The new Voice to Text feature is such a huge improvement that I'm a bit stumped why they made it more difficult to get to.

I have also noticed that when closing apps, my usual fluid scrolling from screen to screen has quite a few hiccups now whereas before it was smooth as butter (supposedly a feature which will improve significantly with the upgrade to Android 4.1 Jellybean). I was expecting a MUCH different experience in this area I must say. I have since downloaded the Apex Ice Cream Sandwich Home Launcher and it has helped smooth that out quite a bit--but it hasn't eliminated the problem entirely, FYI. I also discovered several new apps which were not there before the upgrade. One is called, 'Text By Voice' and it is pretty freakin' sweet. Activate the app, turn OFF your screen and to turn it ON again, simply say, 'Text By Voice' and the screen will automatically turn on and it will say, 'Text Who?'. It is a true hands free gift for those who insist on texting while driving. At least this way you CAN without putting the world at risk. Another cool app is the Motorola Car Finder, which I imagine works similar to the paid app on Google Play which allows you to use your GPS to mark where you park your car at the Mall and will help guide you back TO it when you've finished shopping. You can also adapt this to find anything you desire, from where you left something to marking a waypoint (crudely, but even so...). I haven't attempted to use the feature yet, so I can't comment on how accurate it is in implementation, however.

From scrollable widgets to the new ability to re-size many of them (yes, I realize that Motorola DID allow this already before, but its a nice function from within ICS anyway) the entire UI has received a much-needed facelift. Holding the Home Screen button now brings up all of your recent apps you can dismiss by swiping them either to the left or right (not sure that entirely closes the apps, though, but it LOOKS cool). Plus I also really enjoyed the ability to uninstall a few apps that Gingerbread wouldn't allow before the update. You still can't get rid of all the bloatware (unless you root your device) but you CAN disable MANY of those bloatware apps so they won't spontaneously start in the background even if you don't want them to...again, you can't disable ALL of them, but I certainly did plenty by the time I was through. By the way, if you intend on doing this, remember you may have to uninstall the most recent app update before being able to disable, but trust me, its worth it.

Adding new widgets are MUCH easier from within the app drawer, you can choose a tab from the top of the screen and actually SEE the widget and how it will look (for the most part) once you place it on one of your home screens. Nice preview, btw. Another welcome touch of ICS that I really enjoy. Caution: there are STILL some apps which SAY they have been optimized to run on Android 4.0 but still aren't really running properly. For instance, facebook, every time I try to update my status from within the app itself on my phone, it force closes on me. Its done it SO much lately that I have stopped trying and instead I load the internet version instead--quicker and allows me to do stuff that the app won't. Just a little FYI for those who are making the big jump up from Gingerbread.

From the initial unlock screen, which gives several different options--including music playback, finding certain things may take a bit more time because hitting the menu button no longer gives you the options it used to. Long pressing on any screen will only bring up wallpaper options, you must go INTO the app drawer in order to add apps & widgets to any of the 5 home screens. A bit annoying--at first--but overall I like how it works. Face unlock...? Its a nice novelty, but not one I'd recommend for real use. It works--most of the time, but honestly, I just preferred the stock unlock swipe when you turn on the device.

Snapping photos WHILE taking video is a nice feature as well, along with the new camera options and tools. Very well done.

The new browser functions very sleek. But I prefer the Chrome version I found in the Google Play store. All in all, there is MUCH to love about this update, but I feel the need to mention that it appears that Flash support is NOT one of the goodies which sets Android apart from iOS. The Razr CAME with Flash, but I cannot find it since the update. Nor do I seem to be able to view flash enabled video online. While Flash may not be the future of smartphone browsers, it certainly IS one of the major reasons why Android has overtaken iPhone as the dominant smartphone being sold. Until such time as a suitable replacement for Flash becomes readily available, NOT allowing the Adobe Flash player to work with ICS is a GIGANTIC failure in my opinion. Almost every major website online uses Flash--STILL, so why suddenly drop it? Sorry I just don't get it. Android is all about alternative options that apple refuses to give you...but this one feature being absent is my ONLY real major gripe. Otherwise, ICS further proves that the iPhone is simply a status symbol (although I have no idea why). I've read multiple websites dedicated to what the fanboys HOPE will be on the iPhone 5, and strange as it may seem, the vast majority of options can ALREADY be found on almost all Androids (something most fanboys almost universally refuses to acknowledge).

Okay, that's it (I promise). ICS, making an already great phone even better.
on January 16, 2012
Pros - Google Android OS with ICE Cream Sandwich upgrade capability, 4G speeds, 4.3" screen, HDMI port, 1080p Video and 8MP camera, access to mainly free apps
Cons - very short battery life, lacking power management and very limited alarm features, somewhat fickle Hotspot capabilities, USB tethering will not work without third party or rooting, email capabilities lack rival platforms (may be considered more taste by some).
Having recently purchased the Droid Razr phone as a result of my blackberry giving up the ghost, I was reminded of several lessons learned. Firstly, never purchase a new phone on the day you are going out of town. Secondly, never purchase a phone within the first three months of its release (especially before CES), unless you just love being on the cutting edge of technology. Thirdly, never accept having to learn a new operating system when the old one you have works.
I apologize in advance as I may come across rather unforgiving and favoring the blackberry OS. (It's just that once you find something that works (suits your needs), it's easier to compare everything else rather disparagingly to it. Also, I prefer to invest in technology that works out of the box (those who like to unroot may disagree here), since the cell phone providers make you live with your decision for the next two years (contracts).
After setting up two of my most used gmail accounts and attempting to set up a work account that utilizes MS Exchange server, I noticed that this phone allows only one account its separate icon (my blackberry had four separate icons for each account). Also, the same gmail account has two icons and for whatever reason the inbox for each icon receives different incoming messages? Setting up the MS Exchange server was a different story. Unlike the blackberry which had no issues, I quickly learned of issues that this phone has with MS Exchange based outlook web accounts. I am still working to try to resolve this issue after trying several third party apps.
Next, came the power management features and alarms. I was able to set the blackberry up to power down at 11pm and power on at 6am. I also could set the alarm to 5:30am and have it wake me on a regular basis when the phone was turned off. Not so with the Razr, even when the phone in sleep mode, the alarm will not go off. Even feedback from those trying third party apps confirm this is an issue with other Android based phones and that for the alarm to work the phone has to be turned on. Tech support has confirmed this issue. The power management is a big deal because the battery life on this phone is non-existent which brings me to my next point. This battery needs to be charged at least twice daily unlike the blackberry curve 9600 I had which was charged daily. Installing third party apps such as Juice Defender help, but IMHO you are better off waiting for the MAXX version of this phone (which ironically was announced the day I bought this phone for the same price as the original droid meaning a price drop for the original model). Also unfortunately as with the Iphone design, you are stuck with the battery for the life of the phone.
WIFI hotspot capabilities and internet access was the main reason I bought this phone (aside from the fact I needed a working phone and email access). I was rather dismayed to find the USB tethering did not work out the box (this appears to be Verizon's answer to last year's revelation that they were not able to capitalize or control the USB tethering capabilities of existing Android phones, especially those who did not have an existing data plan that covered this feature). Third party support (Apps) is available however Verizon does not condone or support this convention even when you are paying the extra $30 for hotspot and tethering capabilities and without the user having one of its unlimited data plans (grandfathered) is subjected to a 2 gig monthly limit with steep prices charged for overages. That being said, I found the USB tethering to work somewhat reluctantly with third party apps.
The hotspot however was a different story, multiple trips into the Verizon store and calls to tech support have resulted from this service working intermittently. The first issue was resolved with a Windows XP hotfix for WPA2 support. The second issue was resolved with a razr OS upgrade. After I got the computer to see the razr and access the internet came problems with repeated dropouts when downloading and website hanging or timing out. Apparently, technical support has acknowledged an issue this phone with its provisioning software (which validates subscription to this service) and sites such as Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, Flickr, fcz, Flipper, LinkedIn, Paypal, and others. Supposedly, a fix is due soon, (another reason not to be on the cutting edge IMHO). Also, this reminds me too much of the headaches caused by proxy servers in the early days of Windows servers.) In retrospect, you may be better off getting a dedicated metered hotspot that has 5gb or 10gb thresholds rather than trying to use this phone to serve this purpose, I am sure Verizon would approve as the 5gb threshold is $50 per month and the 10gb threshold is $80 per month (meaning more money for the company for users who were grandfathered in under the older unlimited data plan rather than the flat $30 fee.)
Using Speedtest and Testmy websites, I have found that in multiple 4G areas, download speeds are usually in the range of 1.2mbs or even lower when using as a hotspot. This is somewhat disparaging as sites such as Hulu or playon.tv typically require at least 1.5mbs for any kind of streaming (another reason why I got this phone (use the hdmi port to connect to an HD tv). In some parts of the metro area, I couldn't even get reliable 3G service or I would be downloading a file and would get dropouts, something I never got with blackberry. Also note as of this writing, Hulu does not support the razr model, another reason to wait.
Phone clarity was good, however I had several dropped calls resulting in the whole phone shutting off for no apparent reason.
The last major contention I have is that when the phone is holstered such as using the Otterbox Defender series with the belt clip, the phone will not shut off as with the Blackberry. This is an annoyance because of the battery life this phone eats.
To sum it up, this phone reminds me of the mantra, "Be patient _________ has not finished with me yet" (you fill in the deity or if atheist, something else). This phone has capabilities but they just need to be refined. I think this is a major leap forward for Motorola (when compared to previous versions) and with time can prove to be a strong competitor to the Iphone platform. I will give Motorola credit for addressing the battery life right out of the gate, 4G access with the dual core processor and HDMI output capability, but I think the Android interface needs further refinement, something maybe the highly touted icecream sandwhich version may address.
11 comment1 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2011
I bought this phone a week and half ago and thought i would put up a review. a little back ground i have had lots of phones so far in the last two years i have had the following phones: blackberry storm and curve, droid x and droid x 2 and lastly the playstation phone. so far this is my favorite by far
PROS
- awesome screen very crisp and clear, best screen i have seen i know there is better out there but this is the best i have seen.
+ battery life is awesome i used to come home with a low battery every night with my previous phones,but not with this phone. while i work i make alot of calls, on face book alot and use my apps and always come home with a half battery.
+ camera and the video recorder is excellent. the camera is 8 mp and the video recorder is 1080p both are give you what would want great pics and videos.
+ call quality is excellent nice and clear havent dropped a call yet.
+ i like the design of the phone it looks very large but its easy to hold
+ it is the thinnest and lightest phone i have ever seen so light i forget it is in my pocket alot. its even thinner then the old razor lol
+ 4g is amamzing,super fast it take about 5-8 seconds to download a song, very cool is your city carries 4g.
CONS
- I do not like that you can not take out the battery, i have had my phone freeze 2 times so far and then what you can not shut the phone off so then what. well in my case you wait about 5 minuets and it unfreezes.
- price at 300 its very expensive for a phone that by next year will be half off or buy one get one. i didnt feel to bad about buying cuz with my work discount i only payed 230 and verizon is offering any motorola products so i got a bluetooth head set for 10 bucks.
overall a great phone and like i said best phone i have ever had.
Some people are blowing things way out of proportion.

Before all that let me explain to you. The Droid RAZR came out so soon after the Motorola DROID BIONIC 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) that a lot of people were quite frustrated with Motorola. Given the issues of the Bionic (which some are quite valid and some overblown), it was like people got locked into something without realizing what was going on, and then here comes the RAZR, which is a supposedly superior device all the way around. The reality is - it's superior but it's also inferior, if that's even possible. What some people don't realize is what I've constantly said about phones: it's all in how you use it. What matters is the use case: everything else is pointless. A person might be a workhorse and absolutely hate the phone.

First the RAZR features a form factor that is slimmer than any other smart phone (I don't think it's slimmer than any other phone. I believe that honor still remains with the T-mobile Dash, but only by a tiny bit). It's also a beautiful looking device, from the sleekness of the body to the accents and yes, even the Gorilla Glass which fronts the screen. From an aesthetic perspective, it's an amazing looking device. Yes, it can be a bit wide in the hand, and some clumsy sorts will balk because they can't properly grip the device and are forced to hold it like a table. Some people will buy it for no other reason than this - that's fine, but it's critical that you understand the phone's shortcomings BECAUSE of this profile. Because there are quite a few.

Call quality was not a problem, especially on speaker phone; the speaker was loud and clear and callers were easily heard. But the slimness of the phone of course limits what type of speaker you can really put in the phone, so while a quiet room will yield an amazing call, a crowded space or a moving vehicle will not...unless it's a noise-filtered limo, perhaps. Music was a different boat altogether, as it seemed to be loud and crisp no matter what, except over the headphone jack, where the quality seemed muted compared to the Bionic or the Thunderbolt.

Motorola's phones all now come with their MotoBLUR overlay, so you're not getting stock Android no matter what you say. The difference here is that the RAZR's MotoBLUR is quite subtle and not nearly as overpowering as other Motorola devices such as the Motorola Droid X No Contract 3G WiFi 1GHz Android Smartphone Used Verizon. I never got the sense that MotoBLUR was trying to "filter" my experience. In fact, you can even remove certain bloat like some of the games, and hide most anything else. Certain things will still launch such as VZ Navigator, but you can kill them with the built-in task manager rather easily, or download an app such as ES Task Manager which shows even more applications to murder. In summary, the RAZR does not feel in the least bit bloated or weighed down with unnecessary apps.

Speedwise the RAZR is one of the fastest on the block, easily handling most tasks faster than the Bionic even, which is surprising given they both have dual core processors. I can only attribute this to possibly a heavier instance of MotoBLUR/bloat on the Bionic, but I'm not totally certain. All I know is that the RAZR is able to pull off things much easier and smoother than the Bionic ever could. The difference is that the Bionic has more memory dedicated to its applications (4GB vs 2GB), so you're not consuming valuable internal space, more regular internal memory (16GB vs 8GB) and slightly more RAM available (1GB vs 512MB) for multi tasking. You do get a 16GB microSD card and easy access to it from a side port.

All was not rosy with the RAZR, unfortunately. First, the battery has been criticized, not only for its lifespan, but its inaccessibility. On a heavy day of usage you'll be lucky to get 9 hours out of it. If that seems short, it is...given the current minimum acceptable standard is around 12-15 hours and some phones can last well over 24 hours. But here is where some people's use cases are going to need to change: The RAZR *can* last 23 hours. I've done it. Unfortunately, it requires changes to one's workflow that a person may not be willing to make. For example, disabling 4G and going with the significantly slower 3G (Verizon has probably the slowest 3G of the carriers) yields at least 5 hours of extra battery in a given day, even with regular usage. The screen does not sap as much power as the data radio, and using the phone on Wi-Fi and disabling the data radio entirely yields even more battery. You also have a Smart Actions app, which lets you set customized profiles based on trigger events that can be used to enhance your workflow and/or conserve battery life. Using these properly based on the way you actually need to use the phone, in addition to more conservative usage (i.e. not playing games all day, but you're working your job or learning in class which in theory means you're using it MAYBE 2 or so hours a day) can help in reaching the lauded battery life levels.

Again though, since it's an inaccessible battery, you'll need to be near a charger or carry an external battery pack, such as Motorola Universal Dual-Charging Portable Power Pack (Black, Retail Packaging) or something larger if you need more power than this puts out. Keep in mind that these will at least keep your device from completely dying in the event of an emergency call, where you have destroyed the battery playing Angry Birds instead of focusing on your job. But they're not going to give you a full charge from dead. The RAZR itself takes quite a long time to charge from a regular power outlet, well over 2 hours from dead zone, so you need to plan accordingly. If this is your only source for phone calls you will certainly need to adjust your workflow to match the phone requirements.

Camera quality was a mixed bag for sure. While it does record 1080p video and HD 8MP photos, the video in particular looks fuzzy and not that high quality. The image stabilizer creates a "warbling" effect that is quite annoying, almost as if it's overcompensating for motion that isn't yet there. On the photo side, you'll initially think the photos are quite good, but even compared to the Bionic, I was let down. Color levels seem muted and shading/contrast was weak. It wasn't easy to make out fine details and some of the photos appeared muddy when compared to other phone cameras. Giving credit where it's due, the LED is bright enough that you can film in low light indoor conditions reasonably well, and the camera itself does not have too much of an adverse impact on the battery. It's quite possible that they cheaped out in this area on purpose so as not to destroy the battery life.

The RAZR is easily the best Android phone I've used so far. The irreplaceable battery is a downer, yes. But it's still a solid phone worthy of a look.
on December 2, 2011
This unit oozes quality- the screen is brilliant-just watch HD video from Netflix and you'll understand why I say this. Fast- no lags, smart actions, motocast, 4g. So dang thin. Other than the forthcoming Nexus there really isn't a competitor out there, including the Rezound. Nuff said.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2011
I normally do not give reviews: positive or negative. However, if you're a person that uses your phone and PAY for the use of the phone as a mobile hotspot, then you will most likely not like this phone until an update is released. All over the Internet are posts about how wireless devices (such as a laptop or a tablet) connecting to the RAZR are not able to browse many websites when connected wirelessly to the mobile hotspot. However, USB tethering does allow you to browse websites just fine. I'm okay with glitches as long as they're corrected in a reasonable time. But, this issue is not slated to be resolved until mid-February. That is ridiculous! Furthermore, the wireless signal that the RAZR produces is very weak. Whereas, with my Motorola Atrix I can get signal in a nearby room using the Mobile Hotspot, with the RAZR you should expect continuously weak signal strength at this type of distance resulting in both frequent disconnects and slow pages.

On the other hand, I do like the rest of the phone. It has a large screen and is very light. The battery seems to also do very well. Ultimately, however, I cannot recommend this phone due to Motorola's snail-paced fix to an issue that should be handled more expediently. In this case, a very expensive data plan that you cannot fully utilize.
on January 16, 2012
Little over a month after I began using this phone, its screen cracked. This occurred not because I dropped it on a hard surface, but simply because I had it in my pant's front pocket. I was taking pictures with a regular camera during a birthday party, and the simple act of bending down apparently created too much pressure for its screen.

Customer service reps with Amazon, Verizon and Motorola were all friendly, but all said that since the incident occurred more than 30 days after I bought the Razr, they could not simply send me a new one, considering what occurred to be "physical damage." In the end, I've had to spend a little under $100 to repair it.

Those considering whether to buy this phone would be wise to google "droid razr and cracked screen" should they need further collaboration of what appears to be a common problem with this phone. Perhaps it is because it is too thin? I'm not an engineer, but I do recognize a flawed design when I see one; it should not be so easy to break something like this.

I gave the phone two stars instead of one because it really is enjoyable to use. Perhaps not as intuitive user-wise as an iphone, but I was really happy and satisfied with it until this occurred.

Gorilla Glass? Take it from my experience - don't believe the hype.
22 comments3 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
While the RAZR does have some flaws, it is overall an excellent phone that I would recommend to anyone.

PROS:
-Beautiful design
-Huge, great looking display
-Incredible benchmark performance...no lag here!
-LTE performance in Orlando is insane: 30Mbps down /10mbps up!!!
-No MOTOBLUR!
-Battery life is good, as I am not a "power user". In a 24 hour period, I went from full charge down to 20%. LTE on, WiFi on, GPS off, moderate usage. For about 10 min every hour, I would be either playing games, checking email, or using social media apps.
-Some cool accessories like the dock, if that's your thing

CONS:
-While it CAN be rooted to remove bloatware, the locked bootloader still means no custom ROMS :( Luckily, custom launchers like LauncherPro or Go Launcher have many features of custom roms, minus the juicy stuff like overclocking
-No removable battery. Not that big a deal to me personally, but may be a dealbreaker to some.
on November 29, 2011

+Screen Size
+HDMI
+Extra accessories like Lapdock
+OS Version
+More water resistant (haven't tested though, but there are fewer gaps for the water to get in)
+8 MP Camera
+Front Camera

WORSE:

-Lack of Removable Battery (Considering Droids' mediocre battery life, it is essential to have a removable battery ! In fact I had 5 of them for my Droid 2 and never run out of juice while on the road.)
-Typing accuracy (Much fewer typing errors with removable keyboard. Plus with sliding keyboard you could go from portrait to landscape just by sliding the keyboard, instead of relying on the auto-detection which doesn't function reliably on any devices I've tried. Finally in the landscape mode especially, software keyboard takes 80%+ of the screen. Physical keyboard obviously allows you to see the entire screen while typing.)
-Ergonomics (It feels like a small tablet in one's hands, bigger than it actually is. One hand operation is nearly impossible.)
-Text Resolution (Looks much grainier & less readable)
-Lack of Global SIM Support (And 4G SIM slot won't take global SIMs.)
44 comments1 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse