on December 24, 2011
I am upgrading from an EVO 4G which was both heavier and had a worse battery life (and smaller screen) but at the time was the best smartphone out there for a while. Like most on this forum, got the phone very quickly 3 or so days after the Verizon application was approved but I took the time to read all the negative reviews out there to see what the challenges with this phone would be. Here is some comments on the perceived negatives of this phone:

Battery Life:
I was so worried about these comments and knowing my EVO's problems I went ahead and ordered the extended battery (2100 mAH from Samsung sold by Verizon for half price at $25) including the back cover to begin with which is about 15% more juice than the battery that comes with the phone. The battery life is much better than my evo and lasts me about 12 or so hours of moderate use as I download and configure my apps, configure my bluetooth, set up wifi etc.(could last the whole day for most people). But then again I have chargers everywhere at work, in the car etc. for my Evo (which also fits this phone) in case it didn't last one day.
I think people are confused when they compare this to a non smart phone or a 3g phone. Of course a Mercedes consumes more Fuel than a Honda Civic but that is worth it for someone who wants more from his car than getting from A to B. Now I bought an iPhone for my mom thinking it is better for simple use but she is not happy either and tried switching but her 14 days had passed (on sprint to Galaxy S2). I tried customizing to improve her iphone but definitely found the iPhone majorly lacking.

One person said their non smart phone lasted a whole week on a charge. Well, a bike doesn't even need gasoline. But it's not a car.

One tip: Prime your batteries. There is contradictory comments on this but I routinely do it and have no regrets. By that I mean cycle the battery all the way to near zero for the first few charges and then completely full to improve long term battery life.

Sound Quality:
Sound is excellent so far. I went into the settings/sounds in the beginning and raised the sound (default is medium for both phone and media/speakerphone). You can also do this with the sound button on the side of the phone while in the particular application. People who don't know how to increase the sound of an electronic device should not really write reviews online. I mean if your TV was on mute and you don't know how to unmute it, that doesn't mean the speaker is defective.
One thing about media playback: It is amazing because it utilizes the whole beautiful screen. I just wish they had a kickstand like the Evo to showcase this.
Also, reception has been amazing. Maybe it is because I have switched from sprint but I have not had a single occasion in ANY of the usual dead spots or anywhere else so far where I got no signal or dropped a call.

Browser speed:
Amazing and much faster than my evo. And the 4G rocks. I have clocked this on speedtest at about 15Mbs consistently indoors in various locations in DC area.

Contacts:
Obviously all your contacts are synchronized instantaneously with your gmail so no lengthy conversion for you android users.

Memory:
There is no SD card which is bad. But 32GB of inherent memory means almost unlimited apps at this point without having to worry about moving apps to SD etc. AWESOME.

Voice Commands:
For those used to previous Android, this is not news as the voice commands have been present for a long time. But again, you can use voice commands for texting, emailing, setting alarms, navigations, google searches, etc. etc. This is somewhat improved from previous versions of android.

Languague Support:
One of the main issues with previous smartphone versions of Android for non latin language customers like Persian, Hebrew, Arabic, etc. was the incorrect font display. As a merged smartphone/tablet version, Android 4.0 on the Galaxy Nexus finally completely and correctly (right to left joined letters) supports Persian.

Instructions:
I don't use manuals and I don't go to these classes but for those interested: Google has been uploading instructional videos to their Galaxy Nexus channel on youtube to help new users who may not be computer geeks. Also, Verizon has some classes (at least in my area) for both Android and iPhone which are free.

Will update my review as I gain more experience but so far an awesome phone and am glad I bought from Amazon.

Update 1/5/2012: I have been going crazy with the speedtests and the speeds have been amazing. I have clocked between 12-21 MBS in DC suburbs including indoor. There is truth to the battery heating issue especially after running speedtests or HD videos on youtube. Screen is amazing. Showing off the speed and screen has made my iPhone friends jealous.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2013
We bought two of these phones and they won't stay charged for more that 3 hours! Can't wait for upgrade time! Will not buy another Galaxy!
on June 6, 2013
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!
I am new to the world of smart phones but I just got this one 2 weeks ago. Verizon charged me $350.00 for what I think is garbage. As previous reviews have stated, this thing gets HOT and has a short battery life. I have had nothing but trouble with the battery and charging system, so I took it back for an exchange. The first phone would stop charging intermittently and then it would not take a charge at all so I took it back and had to FIGHT with the Verizon rep to get it exchanged. I have had my new replacement phone charging for the last 10 hours - with the phone turned off, and it has only a 50% charge. As soon as I turned the phone on the charge dropped from 50% to 33% within 20 minutes even though the charger was still plugged in. I can not operate with an unreliable piece of JUNK like this - it is going back to the store and I am demanding my money back. HOW FRUSTRATING!

Update: I took phone number two back to the Verizon store and was quickly given a new phone, no questions asked, much better customer service than last night. We will see how phone number three works out... I suspect that the phones I have had so far have a newer and defective component than the previous reviewers' phones, it's the only explanation I can come up with. Hopefully Samsung and Verizon can work this out and provide an upgrade that is functional and reliable.

Update #2: Phone number 3 is holding up well. It charges quickly and holds a charge much better than #1 and #2 did. I still think that $350.00 is way out of line for this device plus Verizon bills me but good every month, their accountants must be from the firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe! Life was so much simpler before cell phones!
on April 16, 2013
I've had this phone for over a year now. I don't write reviews unless the item leaves a strong impression on me (positive or negative), and with this phone, it's definitely negative. It does have positives, but here is what I've found to be wrong with it:

1. Horrible battery life. I had to buy a 3200mAh battery just to get through a single day of moderate use: texting, web browsing, email, no media at all. Absolutely atrocious battery life.

2. Random restarts. The phone will randomly just restart itself. No clue what triggers it, happens once every 1-2 months.

3. RF reception is bad. My friend is sitting next to me with his verizon droid bionic, he has connectivity, I do not. Happens often.

4. Bluetooth noise. I have tried 3 different bluetooth headsets, all have an annoying background whine, as well as white noise, while in a call with this phone. Documented firmware issue, has been around for over a year, nothing has been done to fix it.

5. GPS won't lock. I enable GPS, turn on google maps, and it often takes 20 minutes for the GPS to actually lock and accurately reflect my location. I am driving through suburbia, I put the phone right under my windshield, zero obstructions... no lock.

6. Lag. The web browser lags, apps lag, even the damn home screen lags. Every time they release an update it gets better... for a day or two. Then it's back to lag city.

7. Various other bugs that may be Android related, rather than specific to this phone: text messages sometimes get "stuck" until you send another one (especially MMS ones containing pictures), apps crash, impossible to get rid of google's apps that you never use, and then those apps bug you to update them, etc, etc.
on April 3, 2013
This phone is by far the best Android phone that I have ever used. It runs so smooth, especially now since the latest 4.2 Jellybean update. The only downside that I have seen on this phone was the battery life, but that was in comparison to the Motorola Razr Maxx.
on December 3, 2012
The phone is fine. The service plan however... I signed up for a specfic service plan with specfic charges, and the first bill has an additional $50 in monthly recurring charges. Don't do business with Amazonwireless- they are dishonest and deceptive
on November 26, 2012
I personally don't think that this phone gets the recognition it deserves. It's a great looking phone that functions amazingly well.

I purchased this phone when it came on on the Verizon Network and I don't regret it. I guess I would be what you would call an "advance" user as I've rooted and rom'd my phones....and if that's what you're looking to get into, then owning a Nexus phone is the way to go.

Now for the regular users. This phone has almost an infinity look to the front of it, as the bezel is black on top and bottom and runs directly to the screen. Depending on the angle you hold the phone you almost can't tell where the screen starts and ends when it's not on.

It's a great phone to have because you will keep up to date with the Android builds. You were able to take advantage of 4.0, 4.1 and probably 4.2 before most other phones are even considered to have it. Owning this phone means you get the Google Experience. Basically you don't get held down with all of the fancy "bloatware" that motorola, htc or even samsung puts on their phones. A Nexus device is purely stock android and the way it should be.

Now, to the issues which keep me from giving the phone 5 stars. I do believe that the radios (the method your phone gets its wireless signal with) are a beat lackluster. I notice that my signal bars are often lower than most other phones, BUT I have read this is the way the phone interprets it....but I know most of you will just want to look at the bars and judge by that. So an example would be when I have 1 bar 4G LTE my girlfriends Droid Razr generally has 3 bars 4G LTE in the exact same spot.

I'm also not a fan of the back case on the phone. It's built out of plastic and seems a bit slippery, so get a case or you'll be dropping the phone. Also, the case has little plastic tabs that snap into place. If you frequently remove your batter I can see how these plastic tabs can break (1 of mine did, but it took a year)

Finally, the camera. It's fast, it can take amazing pictures. It's only 5MP. It's a bit low in the world of "super phones", but it'll focus and take a picture faster than most of the 8MP cameras out there. So, you have to weigh out the pros and cons of that one for yourself.
on November 26, 2012
This thing blazes. I couldn't get a nexus 4 because of monetary requirements. This is a great phone. Within 5 minutes of being in the door this sucker was unlocked and running android 4.2 jelly been. Great battery life on 4.2, but on 4.1 it is horrible. Love the features. The camera could use a little work, but it serves its purpose. charges relatively fast. make sure you whip out battery stats when you get it. headphone gain is amazing. This is a phone for those who love to tinker around with android and its sub-systems. i own 2 nexus devices (the galaxy and the 7) and plan on getting a nexus 10 by the end of the year. i could not ask for a better phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2012
I've had this phone for about a year now, and after numerous software tweaks, it's turned out to be a great device. Because it's regulated by Verizon, keeping the phone stock is generally a bad idea (they're extremely slow to push updates). However, thanks to it being a Nexus device (though somewhat gimped by Verizon), it's extremely easy to unlock/root which opens the device to flashing numerous custom ROMs (modified operating systems, many of which are as up-to-date as possible and offer a variety of new/different features). In other words, this is not a phone for the average consumer. It's not "top of the line," nor is it really flashy. It's a phone designed for someone who prefers customisation and control of what goes onto the device.
on September 11, 2012
I bought this phone when it came out in December, 2011. Love the Nexus experience--I came from a direct-from-Google Nexus One and I really enjoy that ICS goodness. In fact that should be the #1 reason why you want this phone.

However, I recommend AGAINST getting this phone from Verizon Wireless. They were the first-to-market in USA with this device and yet they still have not delivered the latest Android Jelly Bean for this device. It goes against the biggest advantage that makes the Google Nexus program from the consumer perspective, if other devices and carriers are getting the latest Android update before this device, including non-Nexus devices.

Of course, there are other advantages to this phone, such as a healthy support from 3rd party developers who offer ROMs and other ways to tinker with your phone, by rooting it. If you're here because you want to root your phone, then this Nexus phone remains an attractive offer.

If you're not, and you're looking for the latest and greatest updates from Google for Android, DON'T get a Verizon Wireless device. They have shown to be slow and uncommunicative for their new smartphone user base looking to upgrade their phone's software. Crippling Google Wallet has nothing on delaying a relatively small, incremental release like Jelly Bean. God forbid when a major Android release comes out, we'll likely never going to see it released by VZW short of half a year.

I still give this phone 3 stars because it is well-supported by 3rd party, and generally offers adequate set of hardware for today's best apps. I only took one star off for VZW's inadequacies, and one more star for its less-than-ideal build quality and relatively unwieldy size. The front glass is scratch prone, so I recommend some screen protector if you're any sort of rough on your phone. I already have 2 very minor scratches in 7 months, without using any protection.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations