on February 1, 2012
As a drummer, my biggest complaint about iPod headphones (including the $100 Etymotic ones which I like for their airplane and gym sound isolation) is that they really don't reveal the bass. It's hard to listen and study a song when you can't really hear the bass drum beat.

These are ideal. They don't overly exaggerate the bass, but they reveal it well. The low toms sound deep, and you can hear their fundamental tone, instead of the weak "thump" you get with other phones.

I think these would appeal to anyone who listens to music with a subwoofer, or who just like a good strong bass sound.

The on-cord volume and play control is handy, and this includes a wide selection of earpiece sizes.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2012
I've owned many headphones over the years and typically done research on what magazines have recommended as the best choices under $100 or less. The ones I've owned have included the Ultimate Ears 500vi, the Klipsch S4, and the Shure SE215. To be honest, I've liked aspects of all the headphones that I tried, but none really captured everything that I wanted it to do.

The Ultimate Ears 500vi had a great control system compatible with the latest phones as well as a multitude of ear pieces to ensure a great fit. The sound, to me, however, wasn't particularly great and I had a hard time discerning a noticeable difference between those headphones and ones much more affordable.

The Klipsch S4 are also highly recommended and I liked the convenient controls they had as well and found the earbuds easy to put in and take out. Sound was good, but build quality was definitely a bit less than some of the nicer headphones in the same range.

The Shure SE215 were my most recent pair and I was most happy with their excellent sound. The cable felt strong and high quality and the sound reproduction was awesome. Sad part was that they were hard to put in and out as they involve a rather involved over the ear style that you see musicians use. They also lacked the inline control of the other two models.

That leads me to the Velodyne. They have the highlights of every headphone above. They come with in-line control. The cable is high quality and flat, preventing cord tangle. The sound is fantastic, especially if you love bass and is equal to the Shure SE215 to my ears. And finally, they are very comfortable and easy to put in and out as well as coming with a multitude of ear tips as all the high quality manufacturers now provide.

Wirecutter (and former Gizmodo editor Brian Lam) has chosen this as their new $100 choice and I can't disagree. I'm very happy with them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, so if anyone is curious the pause/play (double-tap for next) button works on Android phones.
Sounds great and the seal is pretty good on my ears, comparable to Klipsch S4s with significantly more bass and a little less treble clarity (but not too noticably different)
The shirt clip is nice (and necessary) because the flat cable and well sealing buds will cause a lot of the internal noise expected from the seal (e.g. your own chewing or cord bouncing/scraping)
on February 13, 2014
It is comfy, and the sound puts all others to shame unless you spend three times the
amount to get an equivalent headphone. It takes great sound to please me as my over the ear
headphones are the bose and Fostex TH600. So, for me to be satisfied with an in-ear set takes alot.
These Velodyne deliver music in a full rich sense. I was pleased with them as they exceeded my
expectations. Music as you want it to be.
on December 27, 2012
After doing a lot of research I bought these with much anticipation. After my Klipsch S4s just stopped working within a year, I wanted something with a bit more bass and a more tangle free cord.

The good: the Sound is great. Bass is strong but not mushy. High end is great too.

The not-so-good: the fit. Despite the multiple silicone earbud tip size options that come with, nothing stays put. I'm going to suggest this is a design flaw because I don't have this problem with other products. Here is the issue: the earbud/tip shape is very stubby so they don't go far into the ear. This combined with the mass of the aluminum drum that sits outside the ear causes them to constantly 'tip out' and break the seal with the ear when I am moving (like walking). So I have to constantly push them in. This is not an issue when I am stationary but what good is that?

In addition, while the flat cord does resist tangling it also transmits tons of noise into the earpiece- any rubbing against clothing or just touching the cord transmits into the ear.

So now I need another set of earbuds for mobility. If only they could combine this sound with a great fit
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2013
These are really good earbuds. I was able to hear the line noise of my MacBook Pro they were so good. They aren't immune from the sound you hear with almost all earbuds when the cable is bumped. They stay in my ears well when I'm sitting still, but tend to slide out when I'm up and about. The noise isolation is great. So great that when I wear them at work and have music playing at a normal, non-damaging level, people have to make ridiculous motions to catch my eye. It's awesome.
on January 4, 2013
Pros: Bass, bass, bass. GOOD bass. Not scratchy bass. GOOD bass. Decent mids and highs. Seemingly well-made.
Cons: Not as clear as, say, the ATH-M50 cans. Microphone useless for Galaxy Note 2.
Overall: Wow.

------

I. Love. Music. I listen mostly to hip-hop and rap, but also enjoy rock, classical, pop, folk, jazz, metal, etc. I listen to music for about 8-10 hours per day. I know nothing about frequencies, mixing, or how the sound actually gets to my ears - but I know what sounds good and feels good.

I've been searching for the perfect pair of headphones for close to five years. I can't do over- or on-ear because headbands hurt my head after a few hours, and I can't do earbuds unless they have compatible Comply tips. I've used Klipsch Image S4i headphones for a few years, but finally got fed up with the poor build quality and the fact that they fall apart within a few months of heavy use.

After researching for months and ordering/buying/trying/returning several pairs (including the ATH-M50s, Bose OE2s, and another set of Klipsh'), I tried the V-Pulse based on review from Cnet, Head-Fi, and other random dudes on the internet. I wasn't expecting to get better sound than my S4s - I would have settled for similar sound if I could just get better quality cables.

I am completely blown away by these headphones. I stayed up an hour later than normal listening to music the night I got them (and nothing gets in the way of me and my sleep!). The last time I heard bass like this - deep, powerful, shake-your-bones, not scratchy or rumbly bass - was at a Nas and Lauryn hill show. I'm telling you, you have to hear it to believe it - I have NO idea how the people at Velodyne manage to make this incredible sound come out of earbuds. Bose speaker systems sound like the Sony Walkman stock headphones of the 1990s compared to what I'm hearing from these.

There is negligible sacrifice in the mids and highs for this sound. I don't notice a difference in the mids and highs between these and the Klipsch S4s (or any other earbuds), but they're definitely less clear than the ATH-M50 cans. I'm not sure that it's even fair to compare clarity in earbuds and cans, though - especially cans made for mixing.

I've been primarily listening to rap to get the most out of these beauties, but I have taken bouts with classical, podcasts, folk, pop, etc., to test out the sound. It all sounds wonderful.

They come with 8 extra sets of tips, a clip for your shirt, and a nice hard case. I have no idea how long the cord is, but it hasn't caused me any troubles.

Bottom line: these are so amazing that I'm thinking of getting a second pair just in case (on my public defender I-can-barely-afford-food salary!).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2013
Excellent sounding headphones. Good bass response for an in-ear headphone. See the the audiophiliac's review on C-Net for a much better description of their performance. These earphones are the best valiue I have found in the under $100 category. The only thing that stops me from giving them a 5 star rating are the controls. The version of the controls that came with my pair have a volume toggle switch with a slightly raised rectangle in the middle for pause\skip\replay. It is very difficult to find the middle of the switch without looking at the control. The apple earphones are much better in this regard as they have an indentation in the middle that is easily found by touch.
on September 21, 2013
So my girlfriend says to me, "Why do you need another pair of headphones?" My response was that I didn't need another pair, but that I "wanted" another pair... I just wasn't happy with my Beats In-Ear or Bose In-Ear (which are tore up now)!!! So I did a lot of reviewing before deciding on which to buy and decided to take a chance on the Velodyne VPulse's (based on reviews)... THESE are the BEST that I've bought to date!!!! I'm a BASS guy, and these are on point; better than Beats and wins hands down over the Bose IE which I was never really fond of. I hear other lyrics & music that I've never heard in a pair of earbud type headphones before. My only concern with the VPulse's was the drum (barrel) design as opposed to the traditional earbud style. But after getting them situated in your ears & wearing them the design isn't bad at all....once they're in & properly seated, they SOUND GREAT....cutting out the noise around you as well :-). Oh & I love the flat cable design. The only issue that I have is that the volume button doesn't work using my Samsung Galaxy S4 (I haven't tried with my I-Pod yet).

I use them for when I walk my Puppy and they are comfortable and the flat cord stays in place (I haven't used them for exercising yet; no complaints about these at all. Out of the box I took them to work and let a couple of other headphone geeks listen to them and they were blown away by the sound. One co-worker even asked me whether I had did the Burn-In process with them which I hadn't (completely forgot about it....lol). So that next day, I started the Burn-In process using the JLab website ([...] Did I say that that I'm a COMPLETELY satisfied customer? I dunno that I'd consider myself an audiophile, but I love great sounding music. You won't go wrong should you decide to invest in a pair of Velodyne vPulse's. One last note, I bought the Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips to get a better enclosed sound but found that the original tips that came with the vPulse's worked just fine if not better.
on September 18, 2013
This is the 2nd time I've bought the vPulse. Lost the first one and bought another one immediately. Great bass, acceptable mids and highs... Excellent for action movies.