Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Viewsonic VX2336S - LED 23-Inch Full HD Widescreen IPS Monitor with LED Backlight
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon February 23, 2012
I noticed this model while looking for an IPS monitor and saw that it had absolutely no reviews anywhere online except for a brief one here on Amazon. I wondered why it was so cheap and how it would compare to Viewsonic's VP2365-LED model. I called Viewsonic and could get no information, talked to the sales guy at B&H who knew nothing...so I decided to go to the trouble of buying both and seeing how they compared. My conclusion: the image quality is virtually identical. Both have excellent viewing angles, great sharpness and resolution, and both also suffer from some backlight bleed (the Achilles' heel of IPS monitors). I think this model is a little better--when I turn the brightness down to 75% there is just a bit of a glow towards the edges of a black screen. There is also a bluish-magenta haze that is visible on a black screen around the edges and increases when viewed at an extreme angle. It should be stressed that these problems are only noticeable on an entirely black screen. One comment on the previous review asked about banding--the gradients looked very smooth to me. The stand is rather cheap, bare-bones and you can't rotate to a portrait position. There are no speakers. The screen surface is matte but not grainy. I'm not a gamer but movies looked the same on both models; I didn't notice any blurring. I am on a budget, so I was delighted with the value of this monitor and promptly returned the MUCH more expensive one, saved about 150 bucks.
on March 19, 2012
Goods:

-Great price for an IPS monitor
-Good horizontal viewing angles, as expected from an IPS
-Crisp picture
-Control menu has a lot of options
-Very lightweight
-Power light can be turned off in control menu

Bads:

-Backlight issues with dark backgrounds (see below)

I really wanted to like this monitor - it's an outstanding price for an IPS panel of this size. That's what hooked me into trying it out. Unfortunately, it's going back because I can't get over the backlight issues. Disclaimer: I'm picky about monitors. I only buy IPS panels, and I do that to get consistent color across different viewing angles. This monitor mostly does that, with one exception: dark backgrounds don't look good and uniformly dark. The worst issue is that with a black background, the lower right corner has a "bloom" of very dark purple, about the size and shape of an adult's palm. The lower right corner also has a blooming issue as well but not as bad (and more of a dark blue than a purple). I also notice that at more extreme vertical viewing angles, there is some horizontal banding. These issues bug me enough that I have to return it.

In the end, I think this monitor is a fine LCD panel coupled with an LED backlight that needs refinement. Perhaps it's an inherent limitation with this kind of LED backlight, I don't know. For comparision, I also own a ViewSonic VP2365wb and that has much better uniformity with dark backgrounds. That one does not have an LED backlight however.

If you are picky about these kinds of things, then you may want to pass on this monitor. If it doesn't bother you, then this is a great bargain. That's why I'm giving this 3 stars.
55 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
The monitor overall is a great buy. It has a fairly vast range of settings and brightness. The buttons on the monitor are simple and work well, being they are not touch, and the only other source of light is the power button in the middle(which turns off when the power is off). This monitor is a great price to boot being an LED and an IPS also its manufactured date is recent. There are no speakers for this monitor, but one will find spending 20 to 50 dollars on a pair of speakers will result in a vast improvement from any built in monitor speaker. I have had no problems currently with this monitor, and i will update this review if one comes up.

A good monitor, with no surprises and no problems.

Edit: I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the lower corners having a slight purple instead of black, when the screen is fully black. It Really isn't too bothersome being it is a dark purple, but nonetheless it is there.
on March 6, 2012
I review monitors for my website which I can't list here. However, search for the "VX2336s-LED Gaming Montage" or "VX2336s-LED Input Lag Test" in YouTube to see this monitor in action.

This monitor is really the best of both worlds. You have IPS display technology which means superior color accuracy and viewing angles, combined with a price that is simply unbeatable.

This monitor excels at being one thing only, and that is a darn good display. It has no extra options, no audio and it's not particularly fancy looking. That's why its perfect. ViewSonic stripped away everything that wasn't necessary and just gave us exactly what we want.

The ASUS ML239H is the closest thing to a budget IPS that is good but that monitor suffered from horrible backlight bleeding issues. I think ViewSonic paid attention because the unit I got had none. It was as clean as could possibly be.

GTG response time comes in at 6 ms which is about as fast as IPS can really go. I found no issues with it in terms of gaming which you can actually see in the YouTube videos. Also the input lag is very small too, most likely sub 1 frame (16 ms) by my guess.

Anyways, fantastic monitor. Super highly recommend this over any other display on the market right now.

Andy H.
on March 17, 2012
This monitor was for a friend, but here's how I played with it:

She's a true beauty, but not right out of the box. For me some software adjustments were necessary. Since at maximum brightness, the factory setting, the shadow detail was blocked up, I'm giving it the "4".

So, remembering how great the monitor is, here are the flaws:

No gamma control (but you can the video card's software).

Though ips (but it doesn't say that on the box or in the manual), when you're level with the top, the bottom darkens. I sit even with the midpoint, and the brightness is equal from top to bottom, quite unlike my non-ips monitor.

The brightness being a bit too dim set at 100% (the default), blocking up the shadow details, I went into the control center ver. 12.1 (didn't have trouble with that version) for my Radeon 4670 video card and, using a grey scale image as reference (easy to find on the net), in the monitor section, brightened up the brightness to 24. I then had to lower the contrast to 80. This gave a nice, pretty evenly stepped gray scale. (Brightness adjusts the darks, then contrast adjusts the lights.)

Then, looking at photos on professional web sites, I set the desktop gamma (brigtness of the mid-tones) to 1.10 (Shadows seemed too dark untouched at 1.00. There's no gamma slider in the Monitor section.) For my card this also adjusts the video gamma.

The finishing touch was the color temperature setting on the monitor. According to the manual, in all but the User profile they're adding some blue or red. So I chose the User profile, which was set at 100% for all the colors. I left it that way, assuming that it then gives pure white and so forth. Should be, I think, 6500 Kelvin. It doesn't look a whole lot different from the Native profile that's the default, but I think it's more natural.

Wow, after that it is truly neat.

Anyhow, don't even think about some other monitor for this price! It's wonderful.

PS. Compared to a 19" monitor, when watching videos at arm's length it's like being there. Quite amazing. For full screen, it does make you want HD source material. But good and sharp SD is ok, especially if your video card will sharpen it a little. My Radeon has this option; when set to, it will sharpen most web videos (Hulu, YouTube, not Netflix), which a geforce 240 I tried could not do. That's in Win 7. If you have XP, it can't reach the web videos.
on February 25, 2012
So far, I'm very pleased with this monitor. For the price, you can't beat it. The image quality is very good for this price range. It is as good as many monitors costing hundreds more, and being an IPS display, the viewing angles are excellent both horizontally and vertically. The only complaint I have is that the stand isn't very adjustable (it only tilts, and doesn't raise and lower). Other than that, I highly recommend this monitor.
on March 26, 2012
This is one of the newest monitors as of March '12 and it is apparent the cost of IPS monitors has dropped. Compared to IPS competition, this is dirt cheap. And quality (apart from cheapo stand) is very good with good color and sharp text. First thing I did was update driver and install a profile I found from another reviewer here. The 100% brightness setting out of the box nearly burned my retinas it was so bright. I turned it down to about 40. Looking at a black screen at the reduced brightness setting, I could discern no light bleed at the edges. Having replaced a five year old LG 17" TFT monitor, I could see right away that what I thought was accurate reasonably color on the old monitor was far from true. So I have a lot of photo re-editing ahead of me, but it promises to be pleasure on this excellent monitor. There ought to be more buzz about this monitor... barebones, yes, but it just works and works well.
on April 23, 2012
I bought two of these monitors about three weeks ago. One of my two older 20" displays on my Mac Pro died. So I decided to sell the remaining Apple 20" display and buy a matched pair of 1080p LED displays. Unfortunately, there's no way to really know what you're getting online. Lots and lots of googling, browsing every online shop that sells displays, looking looking looking. Finally I decided to give these ones a try. The price was good and I was buying at least two of them. I was nervous with what I was going to get, but I"m very happy. Not a single dead pixel between the two of them. They are very bright and the colors look very true. The quality is clearly better than my old aluminum Apple 20" Cinema display. My Mac Pro can drive three monitors. I like these so much, I'm thinking about buying a third. You can never have too many pixels :D
on February 23, 2012
This a great monitor. It's inexpensive, the picture is awesome and it has an aesthetically pleasing case.

I think that Viewsonic is one of the best computer monitor companies overall.
on November 24, 2012
This is my first experience with IPS monitors. Other reviews say these monitors are a must for true colors on photographs. I rated this 4 of 5 stars becuase this monitor is doing exactly what other positive reviewers have said, but it's not wowing me. 5 have dual monitirs set-up with the other being a very good looking HP. This monitor does not look nearly as nice as the HP, but does what it supposed to do. I used it also to play some games and it works good.

If you need a reliable IPS monitor, this should be the one to choose. I'd buy this again knowing all I know after a couple months of use for the price.

I'll update this post in the future if I have any issues.