on November 26, 2012
Color Name: Warm WhiteStyle Name: Indoor Use OnlyVerified Purchase
I got a few of these to do a cabinet lighting project after being totally appalled by the cost of standard LED fixtures. I was a little skeptical since it seems like most of the reviews here on Amazon were posted by employees of the company... Turns out these really are a GREAT product, and pretty easy to use if you're willing to put a little work into it. A few helpful things to note:

* The strip comes with a female DC plug on one end, but you'll need the 12 volt DC transformer to actually plug it in to an outlet. ([...])

* They are really bright for an accent light, so I would also recommend the dimmer ([...] The strip, transformer and dimmer are available in a package here: [...]

* Unless you plan to use a solid 16' strip, you'll need to cut it down and use these PCB Strip Connectors to daisy-chain separate strips ([...] I also used these to splice in extension wires to route around appliances and other cabinet pieces that didn't need to be lighted.

* The LEDs are warm white as promised, but the light has a slightly acidic yellow quality compared to standard incandescent or halogen light. I think they look great, but might be helpful to know going in.

Overall these are a fantastic, cost-effective lighting option. They're pretty easy to figure out, but it's not a total breeze as some reviews indicate. Make sure you're comfortable doing some minor low-voltage electrical work, have electrical tape and wire strippers handy, and plan some extra time to play with the parts and figure everything out before installing (my cabinet job took about 3 hours all in).

4 stars just for the lack of instructions and the extra effort needed to figure this whole system out. Good luck!
review image
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2012
Color Name: Cool WhiteStyle Name: Indoor Use OnlyVerified Purchase
I am an owner of a lighting and lamp shop. I purchased many reels of LED strip to do a small test. Everyone knows that LED will be the next generation of the lighting but LED is more complicate than the halogen light. So people sometimes feel difficult to find out the right LEDs, especially online. Home Depot carries all kinds of LED lamp but none of the LED strip. So I hope my review will be helpful for all of you on Amazon.

The strips I compared are the most basic products: cool white and warm white, waterproof and non-waterproof. All the LED strips came in different quality and brightness. I am satisfied with five of the strips. These five strip have high lumen, good color and 3M tape is good. So I recommend them:

HitLights LED Flexible Lighting Strip Cool White or Bright White, 5 Meter or 16 Ft, 3528 Type, 300 SMD, 24 Watt
This cool white LED has the highest brightness and the color is about 6000K which will be very closed to the tube. I think this one should be enough for most of the people. Also, the best part is the price is very reasonable and even cheaper than some low quality strip. So I highly recommend this one.

16.4 Feet 300 SMD LED Flexible Strip with Waterproof Sleeve,12 Volt Clear White LED Ribbon 5 Meter Reel,3528CW By CBconept
This strip have a good rubber sleeve protect the strip and the color is around 6000K too. But since it doesn't have the 3M tape. So be careful. If you really need the waterproof cool white strip, this is your option.

5 Meter Reel Warm White 3100k Flexible LED Ribbon 300 Leds 16 Ft by LEDwholesalers, 2026ww-31k
This strip have a neutral color, around 3000K to 3500K which is between cool white and warm white. The color is special and I believe some one will need that. The 3M tape is great and stick the strip really well.

HitLights LED Flexible Lighting Strip Warm White, 5 Meter or 16 Ft, 3528 Type, 300 SMD, 24 Watt
This one have a better price and warmer color. It is from hitlights so the quality is the same as the first one I just mentioned before.

HitLights Waterproof LED Flexible Warm White Lighting Strip, 3528 Type, 300 LED, 5 Meter or 16 Ft, 24 Watt, 12 Volt
This is the only warm white LED strip I found on Amazon. The quality is good and the LED is bright. Good choice for the people who need warm white LED strip in outdoor use.

Finally, I realized that hitlights and led wholesaler are the top two quality on Amazon. I also found both of them have more LED products in other vendors. In other word, they are more professional in LED. Obviously, led wholesaler has even more products but higher price while hitlights only has the popular led products and the price is more reasonable. I will say both of them are good LED sellers.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2012
Color Name: BlueStyle Name: Indoor Use OnlyVerified Purchase
There are plenty of reviews already about how nice these lights are. They really are cool. I ordered one of the normal blue rope lights but it had a section of the lights that didn't work so I returned it and got this. The difference in the saturation of the blue color is amazing.

I ordered the "Kinamax AD-LCD12 LCD Monitors 12V 6A 72W AC Adapter Power Supply" from Amazon as well for about ten bucks. I figured it would provide plenty of power for these lights and I'd just solder the leads together. To my surprise the plug on the adapter is a near perfect match to the plug on the light strip.

Just plug it in and go. No wire stripping needed.

Hope this helps somebody else out.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2011
Pro's
Bright Cool White LED's
All the LED's have the same color temperature and brightness
Came with a connector that will allow you to connect your strip to an AC adapter
Came with a connector that allows you to link two LED strips together

Con's
none

Other Thoughts
I have bought other LED strips from other sellers, and this is the first time that I got the connector for an AC adapter and a connector to link two strips together with the LED strip. This is very handy, and very appropriate for the target audience. Is is very easy to solder two strips together, but any item of convenience that means not having to bring out the 600+ degree F soldering iron is a big plus. Plus they look very professional. The connectors are a compression type with a hinge parallel to the length of the strip. Simply open the connector, place the strip contacts over the connector contacts, and close the connector. This presses the strip contacts down onto the spring contacts in the connector.
Color Name: Warm WhiteStyle Name: Outdoor UseVerified Purchase
This strip has 3 LEDs every 50mm (1.968"). The strip is 8mm wide (.322") and 3mm (.118) thick. The thickness is because there's a soft clear plastic waterproof coating molded over the LEDs. It's domed, tapering to zero at the strip's edges. You can cut the strip on the cut lines every 50mm.

I previously installed indoor LED strip lighting under my kitchen cabinets. This outdoor model would have been better. If you need to sponge it off due to splatters or other inadvertent splashing, this waterproof model would work better. The indoor strip is basically a printed circuit strip with LEDs protruding from it and looks like an electronic component. This outdoor model has a smooth continuous covering that looks finished. As you can't really see either under or inside cabinets (depending on how you install it) it doesn't really matter, but if you touch or see it in any way, the outdoor model is better. Another application would be as an up-pointing wall wash. There, the strip would get very dusty if installed on top of cabinets or in crown molding. And kitchen dust can be sticky due to cooking residue. This plastic covered outdoor model would be very easy to clean.

Connectors are sold separately to attach electrical wiring but I've found it easier and more reliable (especially outdoors) to solder discreet wires onto the strip and shrink a piece of shrink tubing over the solder points. With these waterproof LEDs it's a bit harder to clean the solder pads to ready them for soldering, but soldering is less expensive and allows more compact installation. Strip lights are basically a thin flexible printed circuit. It's easy to solder to the cut points. If you look carefully, you'll see that this is how the factory splices one strip to another (see attached pictures).

The strip comes with a 5.5mm x 2.5mm male coax power plug on one end and bare wires on the other end. (See attached picture.) Both are insulated with shrink tubing. You can do the same at home. It's a lot easier to run a simple wire through access holes when the wire doesn't have big connectors on it. And for long term installations, hard wired connections be more reliable.

Powered the strip with the very solid Ledwholesalers 30 Watt LED Power Suppply Driver Transformer 120 to 12 Volt DC Output, 3207 and can be dimmed nicely by inserting a 12V 8A LED Light Dimmer Brightness Adjustable Bright Controller between the strip and power supply.

The Amazon page states it's an IP69 waterproof rating, but the package label says it's IP65: suitable for wet outdoors, but not for continuous underwater.

To give you an idea how prices have dropped, in 2009 a 24-watt 5-meter waterproof LED strip like this went for $260.00.
review image review image review image review image
on March 18, 2012
Color Name: Warm WhiteStyle Name: Indoor Use Only

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2012
Color Name: Warm WhiteStyle Name: Outdoor Use

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 8, 2011
Color Name: Cool WhiteStyle Name: Indoor Use OnlyVerified Purchase
I had purchased a different LED strip from here (item #B002QQ1YOM) that is stated as 6000K color temperature on the packaging. Side by side these LEDs appear to be just a little bit "cooler/bluer" than those. So if my other ones are rated as 6000K, then I would guess these are around 6200K-6500K. I wish sellers would be more specific than just "Cool White".

Each LED is very bright for their size. Would be able to light up anything, under cabinet, inside cabinet, utility lighting, etc. The reel has a label that says "SMD 3528 LED Strip - DC12V 60leds/M 4.8W/M - Cold WHITE 5meter - Unwaterproof - CE ROHS" that looks like it was printed on someone's laser printer. They work great with a 12v power supply (item #B0034GUEY4) and a 12v dimmer (item #B003L4KKF2). I have yet to cut & mount these to their permanent location.

I measured some stats while lighting up the whole strip using a volt meter and a Kill-A-Watt meter (item #B0032JRGZ8).
Volts In: 12.04
Amps: 1.28 (changes with temperature as they heat up)
Watts: 16.8
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: Cool WhiteStyle Name: Outdoor Use
I like these lights a lot as they are very easy to install and they are quite bright. You can see in my video that I used them in my evaluation as an accent light and they are perfect for that application. They operate at a low temperature and operate using 24 watts. If you do have them rolled up they can get warm but unrolled the heat is more easily dissipated. The lights are IP65 which means they are dust proof and capable of getting wet without any problems. The 5, at the end of the IP6x, rating means that they can be sprayed with water.

The strip of LEDs is 16.4 feet long and it contains 300 LEDs. They operate on 12 volts but please take note that they do not come with a power supply and you have to provide your own or purchase one. You can cut the LED strip and at every 3 LEDs there is a location that can be separated. You can re-solder wires to allow the strip to make a right angle turn to put a boarder around a window for example. The back of the strip has an adhesive double sided tape already applied and you can remove it to stick the lights to a staircase, door frames or around a window for example.

The LEDs have a very long life and they are rated at 50,000 hours of on time. This is a high quality product that is good for home or business use. I rated them as a 5 star product. Please view the video as it gives a good example of how they look and it shows the brightness of the LEDs.

I received a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: Cool WhiteStyle Name: Indoor Use Only