1,230 of 1,266 people found the following review helpful
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was able to do a direct side-by-side comparison between three Logitech webcams: the C920, C615, and C525. Here is what I found:

Right away I noticed that the C920 was a superior product - as it should be, considering it is Logitech's flagship webcam at the moment. But my initial impression was that the extra features might not be worth the size and setup tradeoff. There are three things that the C920 does not have:

1) While all three models attach to your computer monitor in about the same way and all three can tilt up and down, only the C525 and C615 can turn side to side. In fact, they can turn around 360 degrees and more. The C920, however, has a threaded tripod mount, as does the C615.

2) The C920 lacks the excellent "fold-and-go" design of the other two models, which makes packing and travelling easy, while protecting the lenses. In contrast, the C920 is much larger and stationary.

3) The C615 comes with a shorter USB cable AND an extension for more versatility. The C920 - like the C525 - comes with only a full length cable (~6'). My wish for all three models is that they come with a detachable USB cable, which would make them all much more portable and easy to carry around, especially in this age when most people travel with at least one or two USB cables.

But when I actually sat down to do some serious comparisons, I realized just how much more advanced the C920 is, most notably in its use of H.264 compression and its autofocus feature.

H.264 is a standard being utilized more and more for video of all sorts, and it makes a huge difference here. Having used all three webcams on the same computer and with the same software, the C920 compresses 1080p video completely while recording and takes about 49MB per 1 minute of recording on the highest settings (720p for one minute takes about 31MB). That uses *.mp4 format.

Meanwhile, the C615 and C525 use *.wmv format and take 99MB and 44MB for one minute of video at 1080p and 720p, respectively. The real problem, though, is that you then have to sit and wait for the video to compress if you are working in 1080.

If you're interested, The C920 has 1 zoom level at 1080 and 4 levels at 720. The C615 has 0 zoom levels at 1080 and about 10 at 720. The C525 has about 10 at 720. All can be used during recording, but the quality involved with the C920 is again far superior.

Also, the autofocus is much better on the C920, with less flickering and light change. You can really get up close and show off your pores and beard growth.

In conclusion, the optics and hardware of the C920 are obviously superior to the others, which are already high quality. If I am using the webcam while highly mobile, then I may opt for one of the others - I might even just settle for the C525 because it's a tiny bit smaller than the C615 and I believe you cannot use the C615 to make 1080p video calling, even if your hotel's Internet service could keep up with the data rate. However, if I am using a webcam at a stationary computer, or am really a videophile, then I definitely want the bigger workhorse.
4545 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 19, 2012
I do not write many reviews, but felt that I should write one concerning using the C920 on a Mac. I took it out of the box, plugged it into my Mac Pro, placed it on top of my monitor, and launched FaceTime. It worked. I launched Photo Booth, and it worked. I launched Skype, and it worked. The image is incredibly sharp and the audio works perfectly. I'm not sure what else you may want to use this camera for, but as far as I can tell it works just fine with the Mac OS X applications. In fact, it worked immediately and flawlessly.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2014
This Camera is what i expected and whats even better was i got it on sale for $50. I was gonna buy it for the normal price aanyways but the fact that it was on sale when i bought it is even better. I use it for making videos for my public presentations class and also for streaming on TWitch.tv.... It has excellent quality and i like the wide view it gives. If you are not into the wide angle cameras then this may not be for you but im sure there is some way you could adjust it. Im not sure though on that.

Pros: Not too much cost wise compared to most cameras.
Wide View and Clear View
Looks nice on top of my monitor.
It is also able to be put on a stand.

Cons: Nothing really that i have any problems with.

BUY IT!!!!

I included a picture of my ugly mug just to show you what a picture on this camera looks like. Also this is low lighting and it looks like i have quite a bit of lights on which is nice!(Excuse the messiness)
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2012
This is an awesome Webcam for use with Skype(I have not used it with other Video Conference Software).
The new mount is better than the C910(Not that I had a problem with that one anyway). It now has a tripod mount. I found it works very well on a 25" LCD Monitor, Laptop and a 42" rear Projection TV.

Bandwidth usage Information(tested on Skype 5.8 with an i5-2500K Desktop and Lenovo T410 i5 Vpro laptop with 1Gb/s Lan connectivity)

1980 by 1080 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 8Mb/s (C920 on Desktop and C920 on laptop)

1280 by 720 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 3-4Mb/s

640 by 480 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 1.4Mb/s(I also got this usage when testing a STD laptop camera on a Lenovo T410)

The C920 does seem to use a lot less CPU than the C910. 640 by 480 on a core 2 Duo HP laptop was up to 80% CPU. With the 920C this dropped to 45% at 1280 by 920 by 30FPS.
I also found that 640 by 480 utilises VP80(or VP60 in order versions of Skype). It changes to H.264 for 720P and 1080P.

The C920 hardware H.264 encoding does not seem to be supported on Skype for Linux 2.2.

Note HD/HQ Skype access requires the latest software (Skype and Webcam drivers), dual core or higher CPUs, a supported camera and bandwidth. Skype will ramp up to HD/HQ if the previous is satisfied and their is available bandwidth AND CPU. It can take 2-5 minutes to ramp up to 1080P even on a local 1Gb/s LAN. Also, Skype will NOT ramp up to HD/HQ speeds unless the Camera is supported at these speeds.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE December 2013: I removed my video because it mostly showed the avatars and according to some comments Logitech has done away with the Avatars recently. However there is a way around this by installing the older software and not doing any updates. I have not tried it with Windows 8, but it worked with Windows XP and 7. The webcam has gone drastically down in price, maybe it is because they plan on coming out with a newer version. Remember if you don't like it, or it does not meet your exceptions - return back to Amazon. It does not state about the Avatars I noticed in the description, but it is still one heck of an awesome camera for the asking price! I just hope Logitech brings back the fun facial stuff with their new updates or releases.

Here is a VERY helpful comment that was left by C. Allen: By logitech's own admission, version 2.4 of the software was the last to support all the nice features, and only 2.8+ works with Windows 8. All other versions refuse to install citing incompatible Windows version.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FEBRUARY 2012:

I have to admit I was delighted to hear that Logitech had come out with a newer version of C910. I could not wait to try it and post a review. I knew this review would not compare to the video review I did for the C910 since there was no way my dogs were going to come in on "my" own terms. If you have no clue what I am talking about you need to see the video for yourself at this link: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910. When I did the video review for the C910 I just talked about the picture, lighting and sound quality. Pretty much all of that stayed the same with a few enhancements.

I understand that with time you need to upgrade and make improvements, but I wanted to understand and "dissect" the changes Logitech made with the C920. First thing I noticed was that the C920 is quite smaller in size. I wondered if the size variation would interfere with the dimension of the image that is captured or the quality of the sound because housing around the lens and speakers is smaller and more condensed. To my surprise, the picture and sound looked and sounded great. I was pleased it has a 6-foot long cable - great for a desktop computer, not so great for laptops. The cord is actually a foot longer than the C910. The camera sits perfectly on my 23-inch screen. The C920 has a "new" tab located underneath the front of the webcam. This allows the camera to sit more securely in place without worrying it will fall backwards or slide forwards Another great feature the C910 did not have is that it is tripod mountable.

The C920 has 15 MP compared to 10MP on the C910. Let's talk about mega pixels a little bit. The resolution of a picture/image is represented by its mega pixels aka MP. The higher MP the larger you are able to view or print an image. Typically an 8MP resolution allows you to make an 8x11 photo quality print. If you try to make it large, your image quality will start to get worse and become blurry. In general smaller MP are great for Internet postings because most of the time you crop and edit pictures to make them even smaller. So how important is that the C920 is 15MP compared to 10MP? I guess it depends on what you are using it for. If you need to post or print a 15x20 or larger picture than 15MP will be great for you. This is not important to me since I do not use the webcam to print out or post HUGE pictures. The only pictures I might post using the webcam are silly looking "duck face" pictures on social sites. If I need to take photos, I will just use my digital camera. This webcam is primarily used to video chat with friends and my family.

Please be aware in order to get 15MP quality pictures you must use the enhanced software Photo Capture which is included in the download - just like it is with the C910.

Now lets talk about Full HD 1080p with H.264. I have heard of 1080p but what is H.264? I did some research. There are three different types of high definition modes: 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The 1080p is the only full HD. It is able to display a native resolution of a least 1080 lines, the higher the number of lines the sharper the image. The "p" means that the screen display images very quickly by completely refreshing the screen with every frame. This allows quick movements to display in sharp detail. Now let me explain H.264. The H.264 is best known as being the codec standards for Blu-ray discs. It is widely used by video streaming sources such as YouTube, Vivmeo, iTunes, Amazon and web software such as Adobe Flash Player and Apple QuickTime. So what does this all mean - it allows you to be viewed in 1080p in a clearer, faster, smoother and high definition (as long as the "viewer" has good quality equipment as well). The C920 does video processing in the webcam as opposed to the C910 using the computer's central processing unit. This means less lagging and hesitation on your system since everything is going on in the webcam - that makes a very big difference in framerates in HD quality.

Installation was simple. I am using it in a Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit OS environment. This webcam does NOT come with an installation CD. You must go to Logitech's website and download the software. The web address can be found in the instructional booklet. It only took less than 1 minute to download the file and about 2 minutes to install the software. The webcam was up and running in less than 3 minutes!

The image is clear and the movement and response time is fast and smooth. Sound is heard loud and clear. It comes with all the extras the C910 comes with such as motion detection, follow me, face recognition, avatar, video mask features, RightLight, but this time the C920 comes with RightLight2 and RightSound. Sadly the video effects are still not available for Mac OS.

2-year limited warranty.

Overall - terrific upgrade from the C910. EXTREMELY easy to use. I have always considered Logitech a dependable brand I could continuously trust and rely on. :-)
4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2012
I think my video is self explanatory. Those are the results a complete amateur who has never used a web cam before can get within 2 minutes of plugging the cam in.

It sits nicely on top of my computer monitor and is easy to adjust. It's good in low light. It's good in high noise environments. It captures detail. It auto focuses on your face. This is basically logitech's flagship cam as of 2012. I read a lot of reviews. I wasn't sure I wanted to shell out the cash but I wanted the best. And if the best is $100, I figured I didn't have much to loose. I also own a logitech gaming keyboard and gaming mouse and 3.1 speakers, all of which have lasted me 5+ years each. Their products are all built to last.

I don't see how anyone could use one that doesn't auto-focus.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
I purchased this webcam intending to get high-quality images from my apartment window of the NY skyline. Unfortunately, the camera is unable to focus to infinity. It is designed only for close-in webcam chatting. Distant objects (or even the back wall of a large room) appear blurry.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2012
I've been testing and using the Logitech C920 for a week now. This is really a nice little camera! It takes good, sharp video, and the Logitech Webcam Software (LWS), works fine, though a bit limited in settings.

For those wanting some tech specs, I ran a bunch of tests and analyzed the files with MediaInfo.

LWS provides 4 modes: 360p (640x360 WMV), 480p (864x480 WMV), 720p (1280x720 MP4/AVC), and 1080p (1920x1080 MP4/AVC).

In "Preferences," under the "Quick Capture" tab, it provides 3 audio and 3 video quality settings:

Audio:
Good (16) -- 16kHz at 20kbps (mushy)
Better (32) -- 32kHz at 48kbps (fine for voice)
Best (48) -- 48kHz at 191kbps (DVD quality)
-- These only matter at 360p and 480p.
-- In the higher modes, the audio (AAC) is always 48kHz at 99kbps (vbr), no matter where you set the audio quality setting (bug?).

kbps and frame rates : ( 360p WMV / 480p WMV / 720p MP4-AVC / 1080p MP4-AVC )
Standard (small file): 549 at 15 / 1155 at 15 / 2000 at 30 / 3000 at 30
High Q (medium file): 943 at 15 / 2848 at 15 / 3000 at 30 / 4000 at 30
Lossless (large file): 1723 at 15 / 3848 at 15 / 4000 at 30 / 6000 at 30
-- In 360 and 480, the video bit rate will vary quite a bit depending on the amount of motion in the video. Frame rate is constant at 15.
-- In 720 and 1080, the bit rate is constant, and the frame rate is constant at 30, tho MediaInfo sometimes shows it as variable.

So you can see the highest quality mode is 1080p at 6000kbps at 30fps, which is probably what you wanna use if you're gonna pull it into an editor, and then spit out the results at say, 2000, which makes a good quality video at a reasonable file size for uploading to YT, etc.

I don't know what they mean by "lossless," because what the software calls "lossless" is a mere 4-6 Mbps, highly compressed by the camera. But it's more than good enough.

For the two AVC modes, the camera is putting out profile Baseline @ L4.0, no CABAC, 1 Reference Frame, CBR, and CFR. The color model is YUV 4:2:0, 8-bits, Progressive, as expected. This profile is widely compatible with many consumer HD video devices and software players.

If you're gonna simply downsample the bitrate with Handbrake, you should make a profile that matches what the hardware in the camera puts out. Make your Handbrake (v0.9.6+) profile like this: -f mp4 -O --crop 0:0:0:0 --strict-anamorphic -e x264 -b 1500 --vfr -a 1 -E copy:aac -B 0 -6 auto -R Auto -D 0 --gain=0 --audio-copy-mask none -x bframes=0:8x8dct=0:cabac=0:weightp=0:ref=4:psy-rd=1.00,0.15 --verbose=1 (where -b = bitrate and -E copy:aac = audio pass-through). Note that I set RefFrames to 4, as it falls back to L3.1 if the ref is left at 1.

What about other video resolutions and modes? Running other capture software, like BB Flashback or AVS Video Recorder, you can pick all resolutions from 160x90 to 2304x1536 (at 2 fps) and the C920 will switch to any of them -- so, yes, it will do all the 4:3 modes like 640x480, but not with LWS. There's no reason they couldn't put some common 4:3 modes in it, because the camera will do'em all, and wide-screen isn't always desirable.

Does the camera put out raw video in the non-AVC modes, like a regular webcam? In LWS my processor (dual 3.06GHz) runs about 25% capturing 1080p, but about 45% capturing 480p. In other capture software, capturing 1080p in mjpeg or mpeg2/xvid maxes out the processor and stutters badly. So it would appear that the camera's hardware compression only kicks in with 720p and 1080p AVC, and a good thing it does! My computer (and its USB2) won't handle raw 1080p/30 video.

Snapshots, using LWS (all JPG, Q unknown and not settable):
Low: 1920x1080 (2MP, 472kB), a bit blurry in the details
Med: 2304x1536 (3MP, 649kB), the native resolution of the image sensor
Lrg: 3280x1845 (6MP, 1047kB), interpolated
Max: 5168x2907 (15MP, 1984kB), interpolated
-- I can see no detail difference in medium, large, and max, so interpolation is useless (as expected).
-- I took the sharpest snapshot at 2304x1536 (its native res.) in another capture program that will save a BMP (uncompressed). Indeed, I took that and up-scaled it to 15MP in IrfanView, then saved it as 80% jpeg, and it's half the file size and better quality than what LWSs "Max" setting provided. IrfanView took the 45 meg BMP down to a 1 meg JPG (at 80% Q) and I can't see any difference in details.

Now for the little complaints: None for the camera, but the LWS software could use some 4:3 resolutions and finer-grained controls, like setting the bit-rate of the audio and tweaking some AVC profile settings, more video containers like AVI and MOV, and an uncompressed (BMP) option for snapshots.

RightLight: Doesn't seem to do anything. Either the Exposure and Gain are in Auto or not, and you have to uncheck RightLight to uncheck Auto. In auto, the exposure slider usually stays at 9 (of 14) clicks, and the gain varies. Fast motion is nice and smooth, though blurry. With ample lighting, you can improve the video a little by going to manual and putting the exposure at about 5 clicks and then up the gain for a normal picture, and there will be much less motion blur, just like setting a faster exposure on any camera.

I found one little bug in LWS: When you put the Gain in manual, it will slowly creep down, about 1% per second. It's annoying.

Auto White Balance: Makes you look cold and dead. Set your lights, hold a white card about a foot in front of it, then turn off AWB, and you'll look about right. Also, reducing the Color Intensity a bit makes faces look more natural. YMMV, so don't be afraid to put it all in manual and set it just right for your lighting. And remember, no "auto" stuff will completely fix every lighting situation. I'm using a 45-watt, 5500K, CRI-91 full-spectrum Alzo CFL, and still need manual tweaking.

RightSound: A simple auto-volume that cuts the volume to about half if you get too loud. Seems to take about 1-2 seconds to respond. LWS has no VU bars or mic test, so you have to run something else to see what it's doing. There is a mic level slider in Preferences and I found it to be too loud at the default mid-point; putting it at about 35% made the audio better. There are no audio equalization settings, and it's just a bit "boomy" for my ears. A simple bass and treble filter would be nice.

Stereo: If you're right in front of the camera, it sounds mono, but if you move around, you sure can hear the difference! But the software should have a mono setting, for those times when it's pointed at something besides your face (like, your hobby on the table), and you're talking beside the camera.

Autofocus: The range is from about 1.4 to 14 inches, and everything beyond that is infinity. To get it to macro-focus, you have to move in slowly, and the object needs some detail, or it just loses it and goes back to infinity. Better turning it off and setting manually for the task at hand. But if you're talking within the 14 inches, the AF tracks pretty well and is reasonably fast.

Face following: Because it's just moving the image around on the sensor, you have to be zoomed in some for it to work, and it only works in 360 and 480 modes. At most, it only "follows" for a few degrees of angle.

Didn't try any of the "Effects" -- not my cup of tea. You cannot use them at 720 and 1080, only 360 and 480. Didn't try video phone or chat, so can't comment on that.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the C920, and happy I made the purchase. And glad I didn't get the C910, because my computer won't handle raw 1080p.

--kv5r
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2013
Very impressed with how wide it is, sadly the image quality to the edges is a disaster. Take a look at the image of the map I uploaded and you can see for yourself.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
This is an amazing webcam except for the software and Mic which are terrible. Watch my review for details. Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, 1080p Widescreen Video Calling and Recording (960-000764)Talk to me Giovanni@rightclickgadget.com
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...