Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Inspiron i17RN-6470BK 17-Inch Laptop (Diamond Black) [Discontinued By Manufacturer]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 5, 2012
I bought this laptop through Dell. The only difference between the one advertised here and mine, is I have a 1TB HDD, and 8 Gigs of RAM.

Pros: VERY speedy processor. Big bright screen, with beautiful color reproduction. Full sized keyboard with numeric keypad. The mouse pad is smooth, and easy to use. This laptop runs cooler than other Dell Laptops I have owned. The graphics card makes for good gaming on even the most current games. The webcam is very nice, and is full HD. There are FOUR USB ports, two of which are speedy 3.0. Great battery life for a laptop of this size. Amazing sound for a laptop. Although some don't like the placement of the speakers, you will be impressed with what you hear.

Cons: VERY SLOW BOOTING. This was a known issue I was aware of before purchase. For those who don't know, all Inspiron 17s no matter what the configuration, take well over two minutes to be able to start surfing the web. (This is due to the slow 5400 RPM HDD.) This laptop is Heavy. The keyboard is not backlit. (Dell never claimed it was, but it is something I hope they remedy in the future) The finish is a fingerprint magnet. The screen is very reflective if used outdoors. However, as this is more of a "Desktop Replacement," I assume that wont be an issue for most.

Windows Experience is very impressive:

Processor: 7.5
Memory: 7.6 (That is with 8 gigs 1333 MHZ)
Graphics: 6.6
Gaming Graphics: 6.6
Primary hard Disk: 7.9 (Upgraded to a SSD)

(Six month review) The issue with slow booting is gone. I installed and cloned all partitions of the slow 1 TB 5400 HDD, (5.9 WEI) to a Kingston SSD. (7.9 WEI) Now my boot time is about 15 seconds from BIOS to ready to go! No issues, still works like a champ!!

(EIGHT MONTH UPDATE) 12-22-12: Had first issue with the Laptop. Several pixels ended up "stuck," leaving a line about an inch long, on the display. I messaged a Dell Tech On Line last Friday, and the defective Screen was replaced without question, on Monday. Granted, the new screen has two random dead pixels, but was a sealed, new unit so aside from that, am very pleased with the experience. The service was fast, and no money out of my pocket. Dell Support is amazing, and those who complain about about it, must just hate the Company. Thanks Dell, for taking care of the issue so quickly!!

All in all I LOVE this laptop. I truly hope this information helps you.
66 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse