on March 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I read 3 or 4 computer websites about the Dell Inspiron 14z before purchasing on Amazon, and my experience is in line with those reviews. (I ordered the model with i5 processor/6 GB of RAM). My family has several other Dell Inspiron 14-inch laptops; this is our first 14z. (And Dell, if you're reading this, I really wanted to buy another 14R, but the switchable lids make it feel cheap. It's a computer, not a toy). Anyway, back my review:

Good:
- Lightweight and thin, yet sturdy
- Very good processor speed (probably worth getting the i5)
- Accessible keyboard
- Three USB ports
- Bright, clear screen
- 1 year of McAfee
- Windows 7

Could be better:
- Port covers are not necessary and get in the way
- The mouse buttons take a lot of effort to "click" (and as such, I would not recommend this computer for a small child)
- Does not have the Power DVD software common to previous Dell laptops I've purchased
- And, unfortunately, includes a lot of software you probably won't want. The first 30 minutes of using this computer was a struggle among all the various "helpful" programs all simultaneously expecting to be registered, activated and/or updated. A "Nero" program was particularly annoying and could not be turned off, only minimized; I wound up uninstalling it altogether.
- Surface areas easily show fingerprints
- I would have liked to add the optional backlit keyboard, but it is only available on the top-of-the-line 14z model for $200 more

All in all, a good value, and I estimate I saved $60 buying from Amazon rather than direct from Dell.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
Short story: Stay way. I have had multiple problems with this laptop and Dell support can not fix said problems.

I needed a laptop for school that could handle CAD programs, handle computational programs, have a good battery, and be portable. At the time my Toshiba Satellite had lasted me a good 4 years but the hard drive was becoming spotty and the battery life was decreasing. I decided to upgrade and after a little looking around I decided on the Dell Inspiron 14z. It looked good for a decent price. I quickly received the laptop from Amazon and the Dell was considerably faster than my previous Toshiba, a lot lighter, and the battery life was almost double. After a month of owning it I discovered that the microphone did not work with Skype or Google Chat. I guessed this problem was around since I bought the laptop. I was still in school at the time so I waited until summer to get it fixed. In July I contacted customer support via online chat help. After over an hour of diagnosis it was determined that my laptop motherboard was defective and I needed to send it in. This is what I had been afraid of, but since it was summer I could be without the laptop for a couple weeks to get it fixed.

Dell sent the package very quickly and then called me every step to let me know what was happening. A little too much in my opinion but it was good to know it would be done quickly. I then received the laptop back from Dell. I turned it on and first tested the microphone and it worked, problem solved. Not too fast, I was reloading my files that I had backed up and noticed that on 'Computer' window that my laptop said it only had 4GB of RAM. As in the description it came with 6GB of RAM when it was new. I opened up the back panel and saw that there was a 4GB RAM stick in the slot. I then popped out the keyboard to check the other slot and found out there was no RAM in RAM slot. I was hoping that it was something I could fix, but I was not so lucky. I called Dell again and told them my problem, it was pretty obvious and customer support said they would send the 2GB RAM stick.

I received the RAM within the next week, opened the keyboard again and put in the recently sent RAM. I then go to turn on the computer and it starts beeping at me (repetitive 3 beeps). I took out both RAM units and tried the new RAM unit in the slop on the back of the laptop, everything worked and computer booted up. Then tried the 4GB RAM in the keyboard slot, didn't work- beeps again. Time to call Dell again. I told them my problem and after a lengthy conversation they said they would fix the problem after I would send it in. Frustrated that they didn't fix it and annoyed that I wouldn't be able to use it for a more time, my only option was to send it in. I sent it in late-August. While the laptop was out for repairs I see a deal at Dell online that with a promo code the 14z laptop costs $500 with a $75 gift card to Dell. Which BEFORE the gift card, is $80 less than I had paid in April. And I had only used it for half of the available time due to issues.

Dell replaced the motherboard again and after a hold for parts I received it back mid-September. Finally, and just before school starts again my laptop is here and ready to go. Within 12 hours I discover yet another problem. The sound is not working either from speaker or headphone jack. I called them again. After running a couple of tests they confirmed that the speakers did not work. They wanted me to send in the laptop again. I really didn't want to, school was starting and it seems this fixing process has not worked before. I let the technician and his manager know my disgust asked for a new laptop because fixing it did not work the past 2 times. After a while of back and forth they couldn't do that. I then asked for the difference in cost since I was not able to use it for the entire summer. But it ended in that they can't and all they can do is service it in warranty. This fix will have the 4th motherboard installed for this laptop, not so random. It is so frustrating. Dell is completely wasting my time and can not fix a problem. I also asked them how they can be sure it is fixed completely but all I got was the same-as-always `we will run tests'-- which have not worked in the past. What if the problem is not fixed? I will just be going through this song and dance again.

I would stay as far away from Dell as you can. This is an unacceptable product and service. I know problems occur but at such a large company, they should have ways to check that products are fixed correctly. I have been with out a laptop for 3 months at the moment and it's just going to get longer. School is starting and I will be without my laptop. A complete waste of time and money.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Ryan,

I am sorry to see that your experience with your system and Dell Technical Support has not been perfect. This is not the kind of experience we want our customers to have. I know how important it is to have your computer up and running for school.

Please feel free to reach out to our social media support team so they can look into this on your behalf. They may be able to provide additional help. They can be reached on Facebook (http://dell.to/OO2MDG), Twitter: @DellCares (http://dell.to/Tgt5D7) or on the Dell Community Forum (http://dell.to/NjitjY).

-SaraTforDell
on May 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this laptop for my wife to use for her daily use such as email and watching videos. Let's just say that for the price, it can't be beat. It comes with Windows 7 Home, a Core i5-2450M and 6 GB of RAM. I felt that it was just the right size at 14" ... not too big and not too small. It also still has a DVD/CD drive.

When I was researching laptops, I was on the fence of getting a laptop with an i3 processor or an i5 processor. I had to pay a little more, but I felt that it would still be a pretty decent laptop a few years for now.

The i3 processor is only a dual core, while the i5 is a quad core. Also it comes with 6 GB of RAM -- most laptops only come with 4 GB in this price range. I haven't tried it for gaming yet, but when I get a chance, I'll try installing Diablo 3 and revise my review. I have no doubt that this laptop should be able to handle it. Maybe not at the best settings, but good enough to play without any issues.

Initial setup was like any laptop. A few registration prompts, but nothing major. If you've owned a laptop before, setting this up should be simple enough.

Somethings that I found annoying is the default Dell application that handles your media and movies. I had to manually set it so that it doesn't open up. I'll try to post pics later. Also I hate the fact that it has covers on the USB ports because it doesn't really open up all the way and it ruins the convenience factor.

Overall I feel that this is a little power house with great features that should last for awhile before I think about upgrading.

5/28/12 UPDATE

I installed Diablo 3 and it runs fine with the default settings minus the anti aliasing. It did have that display driver out of date message after I installed it, but ran it with the default hardware and it's ok. No problems. CPU usage around 10% and physical memory about 36% if that helps out.

I just noticed that the battery angles the laptop a little more than usual so it allows better airflow and keeps it cooler on the table. This really helps out because I noticed the fan blowing harder when playing Diablo 3.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2012
This is the worst computer I have ever used. The hard drive failed within the first month, and I had to get it replaced. The track pad is of horrific quality, and the computer struggles with basics like connecting to the internet. The absolute worst computer I have EVER used. Don't know how Dell gets away selling these things. Will NEVER buy a Dell again. Avoid at ALL costs. 500 dollars down the drain.
on November 28, 2012
My previous laptop - Dell Inspiron 1525 - was 4.5 yrs old so it was time for a new puter. I know that there are a lot of Dell haters out there but I had a better experience with Dell than I had with Apple, Sony (piece of junk, HATE!) and Toshiba so I wanted another Dell.

Well, it's been 4 yrs since I last bought a computer so there are changes. I dont like this Nero software that comes with the puter but you can always uninstall. My biggest complaint is that the same as previous reviewers: mainly that the touchpad buttons are really stiff and unresponsive. So much so that I would have gone with a different model if i had tried it at a store. Definitely doesnt feel like my previous Dell laptop.

I use my laptop everyday for surfing, youtubing, ebaying, and photoshopping. I knew that the specs were more than enough for my needs since my previous Dell with Duo Core processor, 3GB handled my needs just fine. So, I dont really see a difference in speed considering what I am doing with it. Sleeping and waking are normal.

The colour - Expresso Black - should just be called Expresso. It's definitely not black; it's ebony with a hint of red in it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
I am disappointed with this computer. It is too slow to start. My son has a GATEWAY NV55S17u, 4GB RAM, 320 GB, A4 VISION AMD processor (nothing special) that also works with Windows 7 and is 1.5 years old. Incredibly, that one is almost twice faster to start than this Dell Inspiron I bought around 3 weeks ago. Is it not supposed that Intel Core i5 is an excellent processor???

If somebody knows what can I do, please let me know. If I can't solve this issue, this will be the first and last DELL I buy. In the past I have had TOSHIBA and HP. Except the heating problem of HPs, they worked quite well.
on September 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
I will never buy another Dell computer. I started having issues with the hard drive shortly before the one year warranty was up. When I called for technical support, all the tech support guy did was tell me that my warranty was expired (even though it wasn't)...then tried to sell me some extension for $50. After 45 minutes of arguing with the guy, which was made even more challenging due to his very strong Indian accent, I finally gave up and figured I was going to be paying on a computer that I couldn't even use. 2 months later, my boyfriend called Dell...3 days later, and many phone calls to this person and that person's managers...he got them to take my computer back to replace the hard drive. At this point, Dell sent a box, we sent off the computer to Dell in Texas...and then Dell Support continued to CALL MY CELL DAILY, sometimes several times a day, and email me...asking me if the computer was working alright. THEY HAD MY COMPUTER! It took me another week before I could get it accross to them that my computer was at Dell in Texas (every call was from a different Tech, all were from India, and all were difficult for me to communicate with). After all this time had passed (about 2 weeks) I get an email saying my computer was being Fed Exed back to me and a tracking number was issued. After a couple days and no package, I checked the site to see where it was...they had sent it to my boyfriend's house...2 hrs away from me...and he was out of the country...so it went BACK TO DELL! I had to call and email several more times to get it straightened out...then wait another week to get my computer. I will NEVER deal with Dell again. Their customer service is crap...their computers are crap.
on November 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
Great performance for the price. Buttons are responsive, contrary to previous reviews. i5 and 6G RAM, can't go wrong for the price. Shipped fast.
on September 26, 2012
I a found a killer deal for a slightly modified version of this model on SlickDeals and was able to purchase direct from Dell for about $470 including shipping and tax.

I did a fair bit of research before pulling the trigger, and decided this was perfect for my intended use. I wasn't looking for anything too fancy; just something I could easily transport to and from school, so strong battery life and not too heavy were a must. It's definitely exceeded my expectations.

Pros:
Lightweight
Good battery life (about 4.5 hours on the default "balanced" setting")
Fast

Cons:
Poor screen resolution (but hey, it's 14", so what do you expect?)
No backlight on keyboard, so not good for typing in the dark

This is NOT designed for gaming, so you'll be disappointed if that's the type of computer you're looking for. Really, though, you should buy a desktop if that's your plan. You'll get more for your money (they're ridiculously cheap these days) and you can easily upgrade your components as they become obsolete.

Overall, this is a great laptop for anyone looking for something for school/to and from work. It will handle everything you throw at it and then some.
on December 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
This notebook is lightweight with good capacity. Dell is a brand with robust equipment, fast and very restrained. Great for study, work and office.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations