Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 23, 2011
Now, to be fair, this is first time I've ever really invested in trail running shoes other than Nike, Saucony & New Balance so there may be a better trail running shoe but let me tell you how I used them and how they held up.

I ran my first ever obstacle race last weekend (Spartan Sprint) in Malibu, CA. There were trail runs (uphill and downhill), wall climbing, crawling under barbed wire, running through waist deep water (and yes even swimming through an ice cold pond), fire jump, and other crazy obstacles. I bought these shoes a few days before the race and wore them twice before the big day.

The water resistant technology was awesome as one of the water crosses was right at the beginning of the race. By the time I got to the top of the trail my shoes were almost dry until I had to go through the water again. I liked the way the shoe pushed the water out and it didn't make my socks, shoes or feet squishy like regular running shoes would. These shoes are also mud resistant and good thing because there was a lot of mud that day. I didn't get any debris inside the shoes (I was also wearing wool sock), and I went through a lot of loose dirt, too and none of that got inside the shoe. No blisters, just total comfort.

I was so happy I bought these shoes. I didn't slide going downhill, and they gripped going uphill as well as when I had to scale walls (even greased up walls). I am thoroughly impressed.

When I got home from the race, my shoes were covered in mud and since you can't put them in the washer I just scrubbed them with a soft brush and clean water and they came out as good as new. I let them air dry and I took out the soles to let them air dry, too. I think for any trail running I do, especially obstacle course racing, I will stick with these. Pretty awesome shoe. I am female, and I own the size 7 in the black/teal color.
1919 comments|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2012
I love these shoes.

They are well made, have a very comfortable heel, plenty of room in the toe box, broke in quickly and conformed to my foot. I really like the lacing system and the toe cap. I tend to stub my toes near the end of trail runs, and this has saved me from several black toes.

I recently wore these in the Tough Mudder. I was one of the few people that wasn't slipping and sliding all over the place. Traction is terrific in almost any terrain, though they obviously aren't shoes for serious road work. The laces kept them on my feet in the worst of shoe-sucking mud pits. The clasp on the laces did get gunked up and made it difficult to remove the shoe, but worked just fine once the mud was rinsed out.

I do occasionally have some issues with rocks getting into the heel (running downhill on gravel is the worst), but all shoes would have that problem so I won't hold it against them.

They won't keep your foot from getting wet, but they dry very quickly and don't hold water in like some of my previous shoes. (I'm looking at you, Nike Shox.)

They cleaned up very easily. Just rinsed off the worst of the mud and gravel and threw them in the washer. Presto.

These won't be the greatest in the winter because they are too breathable.

They don't have a lot of arch support, but there is plenty of room to add if needed.

If you are looking for a great trail shoe, I'd highly recommend these. Definitely well-made and worth the money.

***UPDATE***
I've worn these shoes for over 50 miles of trail races and countless training miles. While I see a little wear on the lugs, they are still in nearly new condition. The laces and slider have held up well and the shoe itself still looks and feels great. Don't even think I'll need a new pair for racing season this year. Definitely have held up very well!!
0Comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2012
To be fair, I have to start this review by saying I am NOT a competitive trail runner. I am a recreational hiker, and this occasionally takes me across some sketchy terrain where my Nike Frees were really not getting the job done, and actually have put me in danger more than once. But for the saving grace of prior gymnastics training, I would have busted my ass at least 3 times that I can think of thanks to the lack of grip.

It was the most recent near-ass-busting that sent me to REI to try on any and all trail runners they had. A friend of mine works at REI in Sacramento, and she had recommended NOT to get a true hiking shoe/boot, but a trail runner, since I prefer a more lightweight shoe. So I did a ton of research online and hit up the stores. REI did not have what I originally went in for, but I tried on several pair including 3 different Brooks and these Salomons. Right away these felt like they cradled my foot perfectly and gave good support and cushion. Most importantly, the tread on these suckers is FIERCE. I balked at the price at first ($125 @ REI, yikes), and tried on a few others there and elsewhere but I ended up going back for these (wish I had waited and gotten them at Amazon, looking @ the price).

I didn't realize til I got these home and started reading about them online that they are a competition shoe. So maybe I look like a tool out on the trails, I dunno...but they are worth it. The tread grip is unbelievable, and the sky is the limit as far as distance is concerned because they are so supportive and comfortable. They also work okay for flatwater kayaking (where you may encounter *some* water but are unlikely to get turned over) because they are waterproof...however, if you do more intense rapids or something where you are more likely to roll, I don't know how they would do. I would suspect they drain okay because they are supposed to, but I haven't tried it. I have taken them about mid-depth in streams, and they stay dry as a bone.

So from a hiking perspective, these are definitely recommended. Don't shy away from trail runners just because you aren't a "runner"!
22 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2015
This is the first pair of shoes that I have ever bought that were amazing right out of the box. I have been running and trail running for years. I have been professionally fitted for shoes several times and none of them have felt a perfect as these. I did a 3 mile trail run with these on day two with them and really loved the way the gripped the ground. The tread on the bottom looks almost like cleats, but it is so different. The spacing in the tread keeps dirt, mud, pebbles and other stuff from sticking to the bottom, so you don't lose any traction. It is genius. The support is right on spot. I run with a mild pronated gait and the stabilization in these works just perfect and the arch support is not too high, but noticeable. They hug my heels without feeling restrictive. The toe box is roomy, but still snug feeling. A narrow foot might find them a little big. After 3 miles, my toe were not tingling like a lot of first runs with new shoes.

I love the laces! They are quick and easy to use and there is a little pocket in the top of the tongue to put them in so they aren't bouncing around, which I love not having to weave them under the crossed laces or into the side of my shoe. See my pictures, no weaving class before purchase necessary. :)

This shoe is very nice looking. The loud colors put me off for a while, but I was surprised at just how good this shoe looks on. It doesn't make me look pigeon toed or like I am always standing in 1st position. I have received many compliments already. I couldn't find these locally, so most people to comment on them had not even heard of the brand, but thought they were super nice looking. (jealous much)

The actual quality of this shoe seems to be a 10. No weird, dried glue oozing out from anywhere and the sewn seams are all perfect. No loose strings sticking out. I will revise this review if I find the quality anything less than stellar. For now, I am impressed.

Ok, the real truth on sizing. Do not expect to wear your regular size. Use Salomon's guide for getting the correct size. If you aren't feeling like measuring your feet and cross checking on their chart, Order AT LEAST ½ a size smaller than what you normally wear. All the reviews stating the same are completely correct. I usually wear between an 8.5 and a 9 in running shoes. I ordered an 8 and still have wiggle room for my toes. THESE run BIG. I would hate for you to order and return these great shoes because of the fit.

So, wrapping this up, they look awesome, they feel good on, love the laces (no weaving class needed,) support is on point, grip on the trails is fan-freaking-tastic, THEY RUN BIG and would 100% be my zombie apocalypse choice of footwear.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 1, 2013
I have been running for over 30-years and this is the first pair of shoes that I'm really excited about--for both function and style. This is an incredible training shoe--I've hiked in the mud, ran across rocks and up & down hills, and the sole continues to grip superbly. Super comfortable and fits true to size.
review image
on December 2, 2014
True to size fit. Took these shoes out for spin at 12 °F on the icey and snowy sidewalks/roads and they made me feel solid with ever step I took. My feet were warm and dry the entire run. Very impressed.
review image
on June 10, 2013
i LOVE these shoes. i'm fairly new to hiking (started last summer), but i'm hooked. i originally started hiking in regular running shoes and even tried some lightweight "natural" runners with a vibram sole. i found that my feet got really tired traversing rocks, dirt, and wet terrain. i did a little research on trail runners with heavy tread because i didn't want to go all the way for above the ankle hiking boots. along come the speedcross 3's. these shoes have revolutionized my hiking experience. it's so much easier to walk up steep, gravely/muddy/rocky/dry dirt trails, and my feet get plenty of support. these shoes are incredibly comfortable and are really durable. last weekend i went to rachel lake in washington, and there was a lot of snow over the trail (no slips!), loose dirt, mud bogs, streams, and more -- no big deal for speedcross 3's. i even had to cross through a knee-deep, rushing waterfall with no issue. or course the shoes were soaked, but they dried out quickly on this 8 mile hike. after a while, i started tromping straight through the running streams since it was just so fun and refreshing on my feet. i slid up to my calf into a mud bog, and one walk through the next stream cleaned these suckers off.

i've recommended these shoes to everyone that i've convinced to come hiking with me. so far i've converted 6 people to these shoes. they're so amazing!

NB: these do run large, as other reviewers have written. i recommend going down 0.5 sizes for just the right fit. everyone that i've told that to have found the fit to be just right as well. buy and enjoy! these shoes are the best!!!
on January 20, 2013
I have narrow feet and a high arch, so need a shoe that has good arch support, good cushioning and low volume but still roomy toe box that is not too stiff. I've been a Salomon fan and own several older model XA Comps/XA Comps GTX and took that on many trips (from hiking in the desert to trails in Hawaii). I now need replacement shoes since I've killed the old ones. For athletic shoes, I'm usually a 9. For all Salomon, I wear a 9, same for these (I also wear 9 in ASICS, but 9.5 in Nike, Brooks and Puma).

I tried on just about every major brand to look for some trail hikers/trail runners and they all fit too wide. I also tried the Salomon XA Mission, which got rave reviews, but the toebox fits extra wide. I also tried the Salomon Crossmax, which had a great arch but fit like a motion control shoe, so my gait felt very stiff and unnatural.

The Speedcross 3 purple looks great and the fit is perfect: strong arch support, well cushioned, hugs my narrow feet very well, low volume toebox but still plenty of room to wiggle toes. I also love the speedlaces, easy to use and works great.

The tread is very aggressive, which is great for mud and trail. But I will warn that walking on hard surface felt a little weird as I can feel the treads "wiggle" (compress, tweak side-to-side and rebound), it's a low "wiggle" so I don't feel unstable in any way. Not sure how the treads will wear on hard surface over time.

The shoe also feels very light for a water resistant shoe, it's not Gortex but Climashield. It's supposed to be breathable but I haven't tested the waterproofness yet, but will testing them soon on the trail. Highly recommend for grass, dirt, any soft surface, trail or muddy/wet conditions.
on November 26, 2012
These shoes were crazy comfortable right out of the box!! Ran a smooth comfy but hilly 6.5 miles in Palos Verdes first day I received them. I can't believe how great my feet felt! I ordered a women's 7.5 and it was roomy even with my orthotic inserts, so I'd say they run a bit big. I love the lacing system as well as the materials used (easy to rinse off the mud, dust and dirt!). I love the blue-green color and styling (THANKS FOR MAKING AN ATTRACTIVE RUNNING SHOE!!) - it's perfect, but think I'll buy the black and pink ones next for a change of pace. Excellent tread eats up rocks and roots on bumpy trails, solid midsole and great support in these shoes. (I'm a neutral and these were just heaven for me!) Salomon, although you're a bit more expensive, you've won me over as a customer!! Thank you for creating this amazing shoe!!
on May 22, 2013
Used these shoes to run Tough Mudder and I am so glad that I did! They stayed on and provided fantastic traction through the run. I was even able to power wash them after the run and they're ready for my next race.