Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips BDP5406/F7 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Built-In Wi-Fi
Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM Your Garage

on February 7, 2012
I bought this to play PAL DVD's because the DVP5960 I own died after 6 years. The Blu-ray picture is OK but not as good as the Sony player I own. It doesn't have as many Internet features as the Sony. Maybe it will get better with future firmware/software upgrades. If you buy this player update the software immediately.
Like all Philips Blu-Ray & DVD players it can play all PAL discs by converting the signal to NTSC.

The player can be made region free by using this hack:

1.Power on with no disc in tray
2.Press HOME
3.Enter 1389310

You can then check the region of the player this way:

1.Power on with no disc inside
2.Press HOME
3.Enter 8520

It should say - Region Code: BD(A) DVD(0)
If it still says DVD(1) then try the hack again. It took two tries for it to work for me because the remote control is crappy
Also despite having Wifi it doesn't update the firmware through the Internet. You have to go to the Philips site and download it and install it from a USB stick
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
Edit: After more use, the unit seems to be working as expected except for the Netflix interface, which is very slow and unreliable to load the initial screen. I've modified the following review to reflect this.

It's possible I received a defective unit, so I may revise this review if I get a replacement that works better. At this time I'm not eager to pursue this because of the attitude of Philips customer service.

Pros:

Plays PAL, region-free hack works.
Plays DVD/Blu-ray fine.
Plays HD video files on a thumbdrive very well.
Streams Netflix fine when I can get past the initial screen.
Vudu comes up fast and works fine.

Cons:

Most of all, the Netflix interface is so slow and buggy that it can take multiple tries to get started.
At first I saw a lot of slowness when switching functions and the disc drawer button took several presses to slide out the drawer, but this doesn't seem to be happening any more.
When turned on, takes a minute or so to establish the network connection.

Comments:

I haven't have the problems with the remote that others have had with Philips Blu-ray remotes.
No support for DLNA.
Remote has no TV control buttons.
Doesn't turn my Panasonic TV on through HDMI.
Made a loud screeching noise and froze when I put in one particular PAL DVD. After unplugging and restart, played fine. Froze again when I tried to play a NTSC disc. Since playing PAL is not an advertised feature and it was able to play a different PAL disc with no problems, I can't complain too much about this.

As stated, my main problem is the Netflix interface. It's very slow to start and usually doesn't load completely - not all the thumbnails used to select a choice load up. Because of this, it can take multiple tries to get the thumbnail for whatever I want to watch to come up. Once I start watching, it works fine. I've spoken with and used live chat with Philips support about this, and have called Netflix, and my feeling is that this is a problem in the firmware. Maybe it'll be fixed in a future update.

I called Philips customer support for this issue. They at least answered the phone promptly, but the technician absolutely insisted it must be a problem with the Netflix servers (for two days?), the Netflix application (which is part of their firmware), or with my home network (then how come streaming worked fine once it got started?), and refused to even consider it could be their player even after I told him I have another Blu-ray player (which I wanted to move to the bedroom) that was working perfectly in the same location using the same cables. Without any attempt to do troubleshooting or help me resolve the problems he told me he wasn't going to authorize a return, when I hadn't even mentioned returning it. I got the distinct impression that he wasn't at all interested in helping me, just in telling me I couldn't return it. I was so angry at his attitude I requested a return from the vendor (an Amazon partner), and their response is that "Phillips requires that all issues with their products be address to them directly." So basically Philips wants complete control over whether their products are returned, and won't accept returns just because the customer finds the way it works unsatisfactory. In fairness, I later went on IM with a Philips tech who did have me test and try various things, but when he couldn't resolve the problem he told me I have to call their customer support again and go through whatever they want to subject me to if I want to return it. This is not my idea of good customer support.

I'm keeping it for now partly because the Blu-ray and DVD playback are fine, partly for the USB video file playback and the PAL and all-region compatibility, and partly because I can't deal with the lousy Philips customer service. I can work around the Netflix problem and hope it's eventually fixed. But there are probably better players out there for the price, depending on the combination of functions you're looking for.

I'd give the player four stars but am removing one for the Netflix problems and one for the runaround Philips will give you if you need a return or exchange.
on May 6, 2013
It really upscales to 1080p,it has a great syncro with my Philips Tv when you turn the BRplayer on, the t.v. goes on as well and automatically goes to the input the hdmi cable its connected.

All goodies until:
This device won't log into netflix if you're in México. So it's a waste of money for me, Because I got this player most of it for the built-in Wifi in order to play movies on Netfix.
on February 18, 2013
I am very happy with this purchase , it plays virtually everything I need. I have some number of DIVX , excellent DVD quality and of course, Blue Ray are wonderful . Pictures etc, I also was trying to use Netflix over its own wifi- excellent!
on September 20, 2012
With this player I can easily play my Region 4 and and Region 2 DVD with clear sound and beautiful picture. The player plays MKV, MP4, AVI, DVIx and many others videos format witch I can not find easily in a Blu-ray player.
I have my account with Netflix and works fine every time I want to watch shows or movies. I connected it to my Marantz receiver with HDMI cable and I get an outstanding sound and picture.
I am very satisfy with the purchase of my Phillips BDP5407/F7 and I recommend it to everyone.
on November 20, 2012
the player works like a charm, it have read every type of media I have tried on it via usb, dvd blu ray and blu ray 3D!!! the only downer is that the lens gets really loud when playing some blu rays for some reason, but playability hasnt been compromised so far so just increasing the volume is the easiest solution.
on April 12, 2013
The power button broke from normal use. Not only is the power button not covered under warranty, but because their power button broke, the warranty on the entire device was voided.

Overall, Philips does not stand behind their products at all. I will never buy a Philips product again and adamantly discourage consumers from buying their products.
on March 1, 2013
Purchased this player mainly becouse it is one of the few that can play DIVIX recorded media. Remote is easy to use and you do not need to be a systems programer to use this palyer and remote.
on September 12, 2012
I bought my Philips player at Target because it was on sale and looked like a good deal--able to do DVD and bluray and also has Netflix and Vudu interface. I really regret not researching it first because I have hated it from day 1.
The Netflix interface is buggy, as was stated in some of the other reviews but worse than that is the way the remote barely responds, even when I am pushing the buttons as hard as I can. I also hate the way the DVD tray takes forever to come out. And when it DOES come out, you had better be ready! It stays out like half a second and that's how long you have to take out the old DVD and put in a new one. If you miss your window of opportunity, it slides back in and goes through this whole entire cycle and won't come back out of it for 5 minutes. Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating. Every time this happens I swear I am going to get online and tell everyone to avoid this damn machine. It annoyed me so much tonight I finally wrote a review. Avoid this player unless you're a big fan of serious frustration. Ugh!!
on February 18, 2014
This product is very good. sturdy, well made. Works perfectly for the purpose it was created. Not owe anything to other products. I approve and recommend.