Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on February 28, 2013
I purchased and installed the WMH31017AB, the black version of this microwave. Pros: a major consumer magazine rates Whirlpool tops in reliability. At its price this is, as expected, a pretty basic microwave, but fulfills our needs. It heats well, is (in black) quite attractive, the microwave and fan are quiet, controls are convenient for basic operations. Cons: one of the installation templates is printed on the cardboard packaging, the edges of which shred when cut, making the template difficult to use accurately. The bolts supplied will not work in a deep cabinet and it took trips to four hardware stores to find longer replacements. The instructions did not include an option to hardwire the electrical connection, so I had to swallow hard and cut the cord without knowing what I'd find once I had (turned out not to be a problem). I exhausted through the wall, but there's an outlet for internal exhaust, and it opens upwards towards the ceiling. And I mean OPENS. There's no grid to keep small objects from falling into the body of the microwave from the cabinet above. This is atrocious design! I used some semi-rigid plastic screen and clear silicone sealant to protect this area. The user instructions which come with the oven are totally inadequate, and Whirlpool's website doesn't seem to have any more. Just as an example, it says to touch COOK, enter the number code of food item, enter quantiy, then touch the Start control. But there's no list of food item codes. I'd still recommend the microwave for those who are willing to deal with these issues.

Update: I contacted Whirlpool: It turns out the food item codes are behind the door. I guess I should have noticed, but it would be nice if the user instructions referenced this. As I wrote above, they are very cursory.

Also note: the MSRP on this microwave is $209, not $1,572.
on May 30, 2015
Very nice microwave, but first one arrived totally trashed! If you can believe it, this 65 pound microwave was shipped sandwiched between two pieces of foam and then shrink wrapped.....all the way from China!! Not a box anywhere in sight. The first one looked as though it had been dropped from the roof of a two story building, more than once. Amazon shipped the second one quickly and even though it also was dented, it was usable. We actually like the microwave very much. The fan is two speed and very quiet compared to the Frigidaire it replaced. Also has two levels of under hood lighting.
on June 11, 2014
I've only had it for a couple weeks. Works, has good power.
Annoying feature 1: If the door has been closed for more than 5 minutes, you have to open and close the door again to get the microwave to work. At first I thought it was defective, but it turns out this is a "feature", supposedly to prevent accidental starts.
Annoying feature 2: Fan comes on automatically if stove temperature beneath gets too hot. I guess this one makes more sense, but fan is loud.
It's also deeper than my previous one and sticks out a couple inches from my cabinets, and the fan vent on top has no grill, so objects can fall in.
In retrospect, I wish I'd sprung for a more expensive and better designed model, but I can live with this one.
on February 22, 2015
It works better than my last microwave. But this one is bigger than most. We had quite a time installing it. But once up, it worked very nice. Now if it will just last more than two years. All the microwaves now are lasting only two years even if they are expensive. No real way to fix them either. So if this lasts more than 2 years, I'll be very happy.
on February 21, 2016
I did not purchase this model from Amazon (although I buy lots of stuff here), but this model has been such a horrible experience I wanted to warn potential buyers. Within a week or so of installation, the vinyl on the bottom of the door on this unit began to peel away. Then within a couple of weeks, the handle disengaged from the bottom of the door entirely. As the unit was every bit as painful to install as other reviewers have described and the oven worked fine, I decided to live with it and secured the handle with transparent packing tape. (See photo.) Last week, slightly less than 18 months since purchase and installation, the oven died. Whether these issues were caused by a slipshod manufacturing process or a drop during transport I can't say. Either way, this unit has earned it the title of My Worst Appliance Purchase Ever, a title held previously by the Kenmore range underneath it. That unit had burners that sometimes would not turn off. On one occasion one burner actually started itself spontaneously. The replacement controllers have issues of their own, heating the front burners to a far cooler temp than the rear, but at least they turn off properly and refrain from starting themselves.
review image
on July 4, 2014
Love it looks GREAT always a brand that you can count on WHIRLPOOL...... My only complaint was the template that was included with the instructions didn't work however, the template that was included as part of the cardboard packing worked like MAGIC... With AMAZON the delivery was quick LOVE AND WILL CONTINUE with AMAZON,,,,,,,,,
on April 9, 2013
This microwave looks and work very well so far. I installed about a month ago and so far it has done the job..
on April 26, 2016
It was a little difficult to install because the one we had there before mounted differently. This caused us to have to redrill through the ceramic tile backsplash; but my husband is handy with tools and it was up by the second day. I am enjoying having the glass tray carousel and the oven itself is nice and big. It has different settings on the light which is nice to have over the stove. I would recommend it.
on March 2, 2014
This oven came with our new home. The builder installed it in January, 2009. It died two weeks ago, February 2014. During that time it worked perfectly. We used it every day for making popcorn, heating breakfast, and warming dinner. I’m giving it 4 stars because it didn't last longer.
on May 19, 2015
installed in a rental home for tenants, they love it. It arrived quite late (3 weeks) and when I called to check on its status, Amazon was amazing in finding out why it was late, and giving a substantial discount for my "Trouble".

Seriously, this is why Amazon is killing the competition.