on May 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was a little skeptical, when I made this purchase, that I would be disappointed with the picture quality and functionality of this TV. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it hooked up and began watching broadcast TV in 3D!

I will attempt to address the concerns I had when buying a 3DTV for the first time, and how this TV met all of those requirements. This is a legit review. I'm not one of those guys who cuts and pastes the specs from the LG website. These are my opinions/ observations based on my experience. I've done my homework. Price matched; visited big box stores (Sam's, BJ's, Costco); shopped BestBuy, Sears, HHGreg; checked out web deals; AND read reviews on 3D (active vs. passive)- Finally, realizing that this was the best TV for the money out there today.

1.) My requirements when buying a new TV- My wife and I had an older model 42" LCD that was on its last leg. Our budget was $800 (not a lot compared, considering what I wanted vs. what she said we needed). I also needed a TV that would fit in an alcove above our fireplace. I measured the space and reailzed that bigger wasn't going to work or us. This 47" (measured diagonally) fits perfectly (wall mounted) in the cutout. It's just at 46" wide from side to side. Our room can get quite bright during the day, so I needed a TV that could handle the "light pollution." I wanted a 3DTV because- well- it's just a cool feature. I was concerned that it would be disappointing or that it wouldn't be compilable with my two year old receivers, BluRay, or my Xbox 360.

2.) Picture quality- The LG 47CM565 delivers. It displays (like any TV, including the most expensive) whatever resolution it is being fed. Display rates can get a little confusing sometimes. So, basically, if all you have is a DVD or a non-HD digital cable box, you're not going to be able to take full advantage of 1080p. I hooked this LG up to my bluray via HDMI and we were able to watch in 1080p- also we stream Netflix through the BluRay player- also in 1080p. Regarding my bright living room, the LG 47CM565 has a feature that adjusts its brightness levels to accommodate for the lighting in the room. Fast motion images on the screen are displayed perfectly- no issues with a blurry image (it's silly that manufacturers (and sales people) even tell you that you should worry about a blurry image. Did your old tube tv have a blurry image when you were watching the game back in 1998? Nope, because it's not an issue and never has been. Back when I bought my first LCD, they didn't publish refresh rates because it wasn't necessary to know. Now, refresh rates (60Hz, 120Hz, etc.) are used purely a marketing thing. You'll see a TV with a higher refresh, "240Hz," and think that it's going to be a better experience. You're eyes can't tell the difference. Picture quality for me means watching my shows in HD and having it look like HD (having it look better than my buddies' TVs).
I rate the LG47CM565 5 out of 5 in picture quality.

3.) 3D performance: Active vs. Passive and the LG 47CM565- Like I said before, i wanted 3D because it's cool. I hadn't had a 3DTV before, but I was in Vegas when Sony unveiled their new active shutter technology. It was really neat- I played PS3 in 3D, I watched a minute clip of a concert in 3D... all kinds of "neat," right? Yep. Until I got a headache. The way active 3D works (and why everyone on the internet says it's rubbish) is it has battery powered glasses that darken the lenses of one eye at a time, in sync with the image on the screen, resulting in a 3D image. This happens 30 times a second so you don't see the darkening- except when you do. What I mean by this is that some times the glasses get out of sync with the TV- when they do you have to charge them or replace them if they're broken. Replace them at around $130 a pop. The sick feeling I got was from the shuttering of the glasses. Now I'm not one of those people who whines and moans about being sick all the time- but it was really disconcerting wearing those heavy glasses and feeling dizzy. Finally (an I won't go on about the drawbacks on active 3D anymore), I don't have children, but I do walk around in the dark- and I would be POed if I stepped on my $130 3D glasses (btw- passive are only about $5 a pop).
Passive glasses and the performance of the LG 47CM565: Passive technology uses the same type of glasses as movie theaters. If you have a passive TV and disagree let me qualify my statement: the LG 47CM565 uses the same technology as the cinema. In fact, my wife and I are teachers and get movie tickets from our students as gifts. So, we've gone to the theater and seen six or seven movies in 3D over the past year or two. Well, being the cheap guy I am, I keep my glasses because I had to pay $2 for them. The main selling point for the LG 47CM565 is that those cinema glasses actually work with the TV- so, we have about 10 pairs of working 3D glasses for our new LG 47CM565.
So what can the LG47CM565 do with 3D? Well, after I scanned through all the HD channels I figured I'd give 3D a whirl. The TV can upconvert 2D into 3D. What this means is it can take regular 2D broadcast and make look 3D. And it really does a great job. One note though. The higher the resolution (1080i, 720p, 1080p) the better it will be. Regular analog TV is kind of 3D- but honestly- no TV on the market can make analog TV look 3D. There's not enough information in the broadcast. I watched about 30 minutes of the news in 3D (HD channel) and it was impressive. Netflix on our bluray was perfect also. You'd think that you were watching native 3D. The real test was on the Xbox 360. I have Call of Duty: Black Ops and it has a setting to display the game in 3D. I read a lot online that suggested it would only work on an active TV- well I guess they didn't try the LG47CM565. The LG47CM565 has 3 settings for 3D (apart from up converting 2d to 3D), and guess what? There are three ways for devices to display 3D. The LG47CM565 WILL be able to play all of your 3D content in native 3D. As a side note, I also played a non 3d game in 2D to 3D upconversion (Fallout: New Vegas) and it was really awesome. It didn't have the "pop out" like COD, because it wasn't made in 3D, but it still made the front images come forward and away from the horizon. I am really impressed by what this TV can do.
My rating for the 3D on this TV is 5 out of 5.

4.) Plasma, LDC, LED?- I'll begin with the biggest question. Is LED better than LCD? My opinion- Not when I have to pay $300 to $500 more for it. The LG47CM565 has an LCD screen- all LED TVs have an LCD screen. The LED label comes from how it's lit. LED uses hundreds of little LED bulbs in the edge of the screen to light it. The LG47CM565 uses long bulbs. What does that mean- LED is brighter, but not necessarily better. If one of those little bulbs go out, you will have a dark spot in the display and (according to the salesman at HHGreg) the company won't repair it unless 20% of the screen is affected...ugh. If a bulb goes in an LCD and you have basic repair skills, you can change it yourself- not with LED though.
Plasma- costs less, but doesn't always have the ability to display 1080p- most under 55" are 720p only. You might not notice a difference, but that's not a train I was willing to get on. I had $800- i didn't need to settle for plasma. If you only have $600, you'll get what you pay for (sure you might be a rich guy and say the same thing about the LG47CM565, but I got a TV that's comparable to the $1100 LG LCD's at the big box stores).
My rating for the LCD on this TV is 5 out of 5.

5.) Sound- I usually use my receiver for my sound, but was anxious to try 3D so I didn't hook it up right away. The speakers are what you would expect from any flat screen. They are at the bottom and angled downward so if you plan to hang the TV on the wall or use the stand, you won't have any issues. They are nice and full of base, but not muffled. My situation is a little different because there isn;t any clearance between the bottom of the tv and my mantle. I use my receiver anyway, so I don't have a problem. This isn't an issue with the TV- just a unique setup for me.
My audio rating for the LG47CM565 is 5 out of 5.

6.) Summary- I can find anything wrong with this set. Make sure you used HDMI cables to achieve 1080p (this is true with any tv). Read the manual to understand how to set up your devices for 3D (and yes, you do have to buy a 3D BluRay player to play 3D BluRay in 3D). Buy this TV and use the glasses you get from the theater. Hook up your PS3 and Xbox and play (via HDMI) in 3D. Watch broadcast TV in 3D with the upconversion feature.

I hope that this is helpful. I am incredibly satisfied with my LG47CM565. If you're looking for a 3D set that is not to pricy and will display the latest and greatest in full HD 3D and won't break the bank- BUY THE LG47CM565!!!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2012
I just purchased this tv about 3 weeks ago and all I can say is Awesome! I purchased at wal**** and before I did, i spend about 3 hours watching and comparing all the other tv's to this tv and all I can say is wow! This tv has such an awesome picture. I have never scene a better picture. As far as the 60hz goes, I am ok with this. I have viewed the other tv's with the 120hz and I personally don't care for the artifacts that cause the "live set" aka "cheap set or fake set" appearence that 120hz causes to 2d programming. Granted I am not saying that 120hz is no good, it actually is a nice feature and does some amazing things to the right movie and format. I just dont like the cons that i mentioned above so I had no problem getting the 60hz tv, plus this tv has super high response times of .0001ms so with that alone the picture with 60hz is just awesome. By the way, I got the .0001ms response time from targets website showing specs for the LG 47cm565 tv. The response time did seem extremely low but that was the only website I could find showing the response time specs for this 47cm565 tv so that's why I am going with that time. Anyways, for the price and picture you can not go wrong! It is such a beautiful picture its hard to believe. Thanks and Happy viewing. By the way, I put this review up here because when i was going to purchase, i could only find 1 review for this product which is the review above mine. So thats why I wanted to get my review here after viewing the tv set for few weeks. Amazon has some amazing prices for this tv, I recommend getting it from them. Like I said, I got mine from the Wal but thats because I had a credit card through them so I was limited where I could purchase it from. Thanks for reading and with this tv you can't go wrong!! Ps: I saw the 3d in action at the Best *** store and the passive 3d was Amazing and thought much better then the active 3d tv's although active 3d's are nice too but it comes down to prefference and the passive doesn't seem to make me sick to my stomach. All the reviews I was able to read on passive vs active seem to make passive the better way to view 3d but once again it comes down to preference. Thanks again
on September 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I won't get into too much detail because I am far from an AV pro, and some of the other reviewers on this page have done a wonderful job describing this TV in detail for those that are curious (I agree with the 5 star reviews whole-heartedly). I don't do reviews often (ever?) but this TV deserved more applause.

I just want to say: WOW! Consider my expectations met and blown away (even after stalking this TV for a few months and reading lots of positive reviews). For this price, I just don't see how you could do better without some sort of crazy going out of business sale (and even then). I have done exactly zero tweaking at this point, and the picture is stunning. Clear, crisp, and bright with beautiful colors. The picture is perfect in our way too sunny living room, and the blacks are quite good too (one reason I was considering plasma, but decided to skip because of the amount of light we get during the day).

So far, the TV has been exceptionally easy to use and set up. You could figure it out without the manual, no sweat.

3D: despite often being belittled as a "gimmick" by a lot of places, it looks great. My husband was on the "gimmick" side of things until I had him come watch some 3D content to test it out. We ended up watching a movie we had no intention of sticking with for a solid 30 minutes because we were enjoying the 3D effects = ) At this price, the 3D option is basically free, so I figured, why not? So glad we did.

Sound: For a thin TV, the speakers aren't bad at all. You could use it without speakers, but we do plan to get separate speakers to enhance the viewing experience.

60hz: Personally, I dislike the "soap opera effect" that is often present in LCDs at 120hz or 240hz. I think this 60hz TV looks fantastic, even for sports.

Appearance: The TV looks great too, though I could do without the shiny finishes (we have pets, and that slick surface attracts it like a magnet). It's sleek looking as well as light. I was able to set it up by myself, and I'm far from a strapping female.

Smart TV: We plan to use it with an Apple TV, so I'm not missing the "Smart TV" features at all. Everything I've read says it's often best to pay less for a TV and then get a separate "smart" unit of some sort that suits your needs better.

Again, I'm far from an AV pro, and those who've spent a lot of time sitting in front of a variety of high-end TVs analyzing them might find some fault with this set. However, for the price, and for our purposes, this TV deserves at least 5 stars.

We've only had this TV for a short time, but I will update if we run into any issues.
on July 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
Read Mikes review and it made sense. So I took the plunge and ordered this tv. It is wonderful. The picture is amazing and there is NO blur period. 2d to 3d option works well but does need an HD source for the best effect. We watched several 3D blu-rays and the off the screen scenes are amazing. I highly recommend Megamind or Journey to the center of the earth. Standard definition broadcast still look the same to me but the HD programs are outstanding. The first set we ordered came damaged, the screen was cracked! So we called Amazon customer service and had a new tv in 2 days, they even put a call tag out to pick up the broken model. Amazon really came thru fast on this and we are very pleased. I would not hesitate in buying a tv from them again, great service. One note about the 2d to 3d conversion. Everywhere we went no store had the tv hooked up correctly to try 2d to 3d. So if you want to know how it looks it sort of looks like a viewmaster reel did if you remember those. I guess I just dated myself there! This tv is just as good as the more expensive models and you will be happy when you get it!
Verified Purchase
I wasn't planning to buy a TV right now. I have an older LCD projection TV that is High Definition (1080i) that I kept expecting to die. Walking through a local electronics store I started looking at some of the TV's in the $500 to $700 range when I spotted this TV. I haven't been able to find another TV in this size/price combination with 3D and from a good name brand in electronics. Needless to say, when I saw an incredible price on Amazon I purchased it immediately. It is just too good of a deal to pass up. Even if you pay $650 it is worth every penny and then some.

There are some other excellent reviews so I won't try to go through every detail, but here are some highlights.

Some people are really confused about 3D TV's and may ask if you have to watch it in 3D all the time or if it can play 2D and if so does it look as good as it would on a non-3D TV. The answer is that a 3D TV can play both 2D and 3D content and the picture is fantastic either way. A 3D TV will not give you any loss in quality for 2D shows, but it gives you the opportunity to enjoy 3D content as well. Most of the time you are going to watch in 2D day to day. The Olympics are on as of this review and there is a 3D channel on and it is REALLY COOL to be able to watch some of the Olympics in 3D! Amazing!

A few things you may need to know about using this TV with 3D:

You have to switch the TV in 3D mode when watching 3D content and you will need a 3D source of some type. Luckily we have a PS3 which supports 3D. We purchased "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D to test out on this TV. When you switch the TV into 3D mode there are 3 choices for 3D content (and 1 choice for 2D to 3D conversion). Different sources will use different 3D modes. This part will become pretty obvious as you use it so I won't spend time on these three items but there is an option that is VERY IMPORTANT if you want the 3D to look it's best. In the 3D settings option you will want to select your 3D mode and then make sure you go to the Q.Menu 3D setting. Scroll to the bottom and adjust the 3D Viewpoint setting to give you the best picture based on your viewing distance. When we were first watching the movie the 3D didn't look that good unless we sat about 6 feet from the TV. Our couch is probably closer to 9 to 10 feet away so making this adjustment made a huge difference.

This is a passive 3D TV. Not only was the initial purchase much lower but you can use inexpensive 3d glasses and there are no batteries to worry about. This will be great news to people with kids or those that have a lot of people watching as the glasses are inexpensive. I had a couple pair of movie theater 3D glasses and the picture actually looks better with them than with the included glasses as the lens quality is better on the ones from the theater.

What does the TV lack in it's price range? Answer - not much and nothing important to me. The main difference over some of the higher priced models is that it is only 60Hz versus 120 or higher. I haven't noticed any issues watching the Olympics so this is not a concern to me at all. The only other difference is that the TV doesn't have the full range of internet apps. It actually surprised me in that it does have a basic media play (DLNA) app included but no link to video / music sites. This doesn't bother me at all as I use an AppleTV and my PS3 for those purposes so I don't see any need to pay for features I would probably never use anyway since I have my other devices for those purposes.

Bottom line: This is simply the best value I have found on the market at the time of this writing (Aug 2012). The TV was just released in July 2012 so this is a brand new model. It is an incredible value and absolutely worth much more than it costs. If you are concerned about the longevity do what I did and buy a Squaretrade warranty for a little extra piece of mind. I am absolutely loving this TV. The picture blows my older projection TV away and it only costs a little more than what a replacement bulb would have cost for that old TV. Plus we have 3D so we will be future proof for a while. With technology changing so quickly I just couldn't see any reason to spend more on a TV when this one offers such a tremendous value. If I decide to upgrade in another couple of years I won't feel bad about making the change because of how little I spent on this TV. Buy this TV you will love it. I have been telling all my friends and family about it because it just seems like such an incredible deal - and it is!
on November 19, 2012
A couple things for context...

1) I was upgrading from a 7 year old Samsung DLP 720p set.
2) I bought this for $400 which feels like stealing.

I know nothing about Plasma vs LCD vs LED so I don't know how to tell you this scientifically, but the picture looks really great - that's not what made me fall in love with this TV...

There are three HDMI ports (two on the back, one sort of on the side but not visible from the front in anyway), 2 component (one doubles as a composite, I think, haven't tested the Wii yet), VGA+audio, and optical out - I would have liked one more HDMI out and an RCA audio out but that's nitpicking. But that's not why I fell in love with this TV...

The remote is solid if unspectacular - it seems to lack any sort of programmable mode which means you'll be using your other remotes to control the TV - however, there is one bit of functionality where you'll want to keep the remote handy...

This thing is a full on DLNA client with Divx support! I have a WD MyBook Live hooked up to my network where I have ripped all of my DVD's so that I can watch them in our living room PC (which doubles as a TV at times). On the TV, this feature is completely undocumented!!! A few simple clicks and an ethernet cable... and I was watching movies on my TV! I hooked up the optical cable to my home theater system and it's passing through LPCM signal - I was so happy I almost passed out! The remote situation makes this somewhat of a bummer as I now am managing three remotes (UVerse, TV, Home Theater) but I'm still so excited about the DLNA that I just don't care!!! This also works (flawlessly) over USB.

I will update this review after 30, 60, 90 days. So far...love at first sight.
on December 18, 2012
This TV is definitely the best TV I've owned, and probably the best picture I've seen on an LCD TV. It's loaded with connections including an ethernet port so you can access your computer's files without needing to connect your computer to the TV. (Provided that you have a wireless network setup in you home.) I watch movies in the living room from my laptop in the bedroom---that's an awesome feature that I didn't even know was possible! All of the ports are rear-facing, except for 2 HDMI inputs that are recessed into the back and align parallel to the TV. This would come in handy for wall-mounting.

There are several pre-programmed picture and sound calibrations and you can easily customize the picture and sound profile to suit your preferences.

The base is plastic but the mount is reinforced with steel and it feels plenty sturdy.

I love that I don't need any boxes to get channels. The built-in tuners work great.

The energy saver function is great as is the option to turn off the screen and only have sound. (Great for listening to music.)

Now what I don't like about the TV. The speakers are weak and rear-mounted. Why did LG do such a stupid thing?! If the TV is against a wall, the sound will bounce back to you but it is still less than acceptable loudness and sound quality. If you pull the TV away from the wall, as we often do to watch it from the dining room, you really can not get a good movie atmosphere going without adding speakers. The sound/loudness is about the worse I've experienced with a flat-panel TV. I will be adding a sound bar soon. Not exactly a cheap addition, but virtually necessary to really enjoy the TV.

A less critical flaw is that the remote does not light up. It has a lot of buttons and if you're watching a movie in the dark, you really can't use the remote without considerable effort. Not the end of the world, but it's the details that really bring a good product into greatness.

I've had the TV for about seven months and I did purchase an extended warranty, which I recommend for TVs, laptops and smartphones.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2012
I would have to agree with what others have posted. This TV is incredible. I love the fact it's also got a swivel base.

Is this a must buy TV? In my opinion yes. I thought the 2D to 3D conversion would be kind of gimmicky. For what it is though, it's actually pretty impressive.

It has lots of bells and whistles. Many of which are not advertised. I give this TV 5 stars. It's very solid.

Why are you still reading this? Hit that buy button! :)
on June 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is my first review of any product. This is a superb TV...would definitely buy it again and I highly recommend it to others. Not planning to use the 3D feature but 3D TV does indeed provide an outstanding 2D picture. Thought I would need to buy a sound bar but the sound is very good without one. A great value.
on October 15, 2012
Highly Recommend This TV It Gives you a lot for your hard earned Money. I couldn't hope or expect anymore from LG for the price i paid for it. Great Entry Level 3D TV, 3D Picture Quality is Quite Amazing given this thing cost just $598.00 Before Taxes. Don't Let the 150,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio Or the 60hz refresh Rate Scare you away from This TV. It does a great job. Black Levels are good, No lag with Sports games n things. Thus Far no Ghosting from 3D Content.

When i was looking for a TV within the $650 Budget i Give myself it was down to the Vizio E3D470VX (47 Inch 1080p 3D TV) And this LG 47CM565 (47 Inch 1080p 3D TV) When i got the my Local Walmart Store they didn't have the Vizio In Stock and wasn't up for display. But After i got to looking around i was able to Check out the Picture Quality of the LG 47CM565 and seen that it was actually priced at $598.00 Instead of the Advertised Price Online at $629.00 I knew then given the budget i had and the impressive picture quality i was able to view in Store that this was the TV I wanted to Bring Home.

While i cant go into great detail of all the features and things as ive only had it for 2 days now. Thus Far im a very happy Camper with my LG! Football Games look great! Havn't had a chance to really get into the 3D Content But the couple movies i was able to watch in 3D Where Amazing! But neither of those where really highly recommended 3D Movies.
Does do a wonderful job at Converting 2D Content into 3D Goodness! This TV isn't the Best of the Best but for the money its truly a wonderful Buy and again I'm very satisfied.

Picture Quality: Excellent for the Money
Features: Good, Doesn't blow you away with features, But gives you what you would expect.
Appearance: Great, Quite Stylish and Sleek Looking, A lot Thinner then the Vizio E3D470VX
Connections: Good, Only wish it had 1 or 2 more HDMI Inputs, Only comes with 3.
Sound Quality: Good, Wont blow you away. But Does a decent job. I recommend a Surround Sound System to give you the full 3D Experience

Overall Opinion, Great TV for the Money HD Isn't the best in the world, but gives you plenty for what you pay for and makes up for what you lose during regular HDTV Content with its 3D Content. Lacks Smart TV Features like Apps and things, but for me thats no big deal as i use my PS3 for those things. Its really a great looking TV with plenty to offer especially if your one of those looking for a good budget 3D TV, if thats you.. then look no further because this one Weill definitely satisfy your 3D Needs at a Remarkable Price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations