Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

Jaccard Tendermatic Meat Tenderizer

Pros:

1. Professional caliber tool; strong, well engineered and manufactured.
2. Ergonomic design - handle bulges at top for good grip, it's comfortable, and no sharp edges.
3. Protective cover slides over the three rows of knives, for storing the tool.
4. The tool has three blades and each one has 16 tiny knives. They don't just "dent" the meat, they make 48 slices (3 x 16) up to an inch deep. E.g., if a steak is 1" thick or less, the cuts go all the way through. You don't have to be strong to do this - my wife is the tool user.
5. For safety, those sharp knives are only exposed when the tool is pressed down firmly against the spring-loaded bottom plate.
6. Each stainless steel blade is replaceable for about five bucks. Search Google on "Jaccard Replacement Blade".
7. It actually does make steaks and other meats more tender and opens them up for marinade to soak in. We use it every time we grill steaks or chicken.

Cons:

1. Might have to clean by hand if meat particles get stuck between the blades/knives. Since raw meat may contain unhealthy bacteria, the tool must be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water (e.g., the dishwasher) after every use.

Summary:

Excellent product.
77 comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2006
I live in the Midwest and boneless skinless chicken breasts prices have plummetted as compared to what they were a few years ago, but inexperienced cooks have made their preparation sometimes an exercise in patience with dry, chewy, stringy or sometimes rubbery meat. If it isn't overdone it is underdone. My mother usually pounded them flat to tenderize and make it easier to cook with consistent results. When I saw this product, boneless chicken came instantly to mind... either grilling or baking. It being winter, I decided to make a simple meal of Shake-n-Bake chicken breasts for my parents without telling them that I used the meat tenderizer. They came out so juicy and tender raved my mother as my father used a butter knife to cut them, they were perfectly and evenly cooked and to my surprise were as plump as they came out of the package. Just 3 or 4 times per breast and they were done. I am now dreaming of summer steaks, or even a chuck roast in the crockpot later this week. I am very pleased with the Jaccard Meat Tenderizer as it didn't change the texture of the meat as other had reported, and mine has two flat-head screw holes on one side and the blades can be replaced. I paid nearly $40 for mine at a local restaurant supply store and I think it will more than pay for itself by having GREAT meals at home instead of eating out. You can buy far better meat in the store than they have in most restaurants anyway.
11 comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
I worked restaurant kitchens most of my life. You know how tender the steaks are in those joints that charge 100 bucks for a NY Strip? I'll let you in on a secret. It's not the beef they use. It's not the way they cook it. It's not a special marinade or chemical tenderizer. It's this device. The Jaccard. In fact, this tool is so important and so ubiquitous that "jaccard" is used as a verb, as in, "Don't forget to jaccard that steak or it will be tough."

Trust me on this. Nothing you can buy at any price will make a bigger difference in the quality of the meat you prepare. Do yourself a favor. Get one, and be the envy of your less equipped friends.
99 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2007
I purchased this product from Maine Supply. Excellent seller by the way. I have used the Jaccard on chuck steak, a 5lb rump roast, pork tenderloin, round steak, boneless chicken breast, and chuck roast. The product does exactly as stated. It without a doubt tenderizes, decreases cooking time, and allows for marinades to penetrate readily. Tenderizing the rump roast on all sides gives the arm a workout but not too bad. And it is not as hard to clean up as some may lead you to believe as long as you clean right after using it and dont let the meat residuals dry on it. The benefit of the product by far out weighs any difficulty in cleaning. I cannot say enough good things about the Jaccard.
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2011
First let me agree with the other buyers who give this device excellent reviews.It is solidly built,it functions well-I've used it for both chicken breasts and pork cutlets and been very happy with the tender results.BUT!This device(Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer)does not arrive in a safe,clean,ready to use condition.Mine arrived with a strong odor of machine oil like WD-40.Inspecting the blades revealed both oil and some very fine particles of metal on the blades.Following the included instructions I disassembled the unit and thoroughly cleaned it.Especially down between the blades.When I was done I had several paper towels with little gray stripes of oil/metal residue.A product intended for food prep should never get to the consumer in this condition!This isn't simply normal dirt on the exterior of a spoon.This was machine oil and metal on 48 needle like blades designed to puncture into meat.Without a complete dis-assembly and cleaning these particles would have been injected into the first meat I tenderized!!!I gave this tenderizer 5-Stars for what it is.I hope my experience was a fluke,JACCARD are you listening? I hope this review keeps others safe and yet does not discourage anyone from buying an otherwise fine and useful product.
on October 17, 2011
I bought this after a friend recommended this style tenderizer for wild game.
I found several noteworthy discoveries after using for a month:
It works very well, and quickly.
I changes the consistency of steaks, such that if your going to marinate them, be careful not to over-marinate, as using this tenderizer allows the marinade to soak almost all the way through the meat.
Marinating a steak tenderized with the Jaccard makes for a VERY juicy steak.
It is possible to over-tenderize a steak with this tool. Makes for a steak that is very thin and flexible, as close to roadkill as you'll want to get.

A good rinsing is imperative immediately after use; For sterilization, running through the dishwasher works very well.

The wife tells me I had better never use this device without a cutting board below it again.

It really does make a round steak reasonably tender, so if you like steaks but have a burger budget, consider using one of these.
I definitely am happy with mine.
on October 9, 2013
Large size easily covers what ever you are tenderizing. Fits good in your hand. Quick and easy to use. Feels solid, nice quality. American Company with product designed in the USA. See my attached 4 pics on the product page.
review image review image review image review image
on March 30, 2010
I bought this item to tenderize grass fed beef because it was specifically recommended by the rancher. It does a wonderful job! The difference between a Jaccard tenderized steak and an unmodified steak was astounding. I'm so pleased to have found an excellent way to tenderized without needing to alter the flavor with marinades and without adding any chemicals. I highly recommend this product.
on January 6, 2009
Product works as intended.Be careful when cleaning as the blades are super sharp. Have used one for many years.
Suggest you look at Alton Brown,s episode of "cubing around" on food network. Gives 3 recipes using the Jaccard unit.
on November 22, 2011
This tool is great for tenderizing tougher cuts of meat and for having the flavor of rubs and marinades penetrate the meat for a richer flavor.

The downside of the product is it is very difficult to clean because of the razor sharp blades. I found that a fingernail brush works well at getting to all of the blades for easier cleaning but extreme care must still be taken to avoid being cut.

This tool is easy to use and doesn't alter the taste of the food like chemical tenderizers.