Top positive review
236 people found this helpful
Professional quality kitchen tool...
on January 18, 2007
Jaccard Tendermatic Meat Tenderizer
1. Professional caliber tool; strong, well engineered and manufactured.
2. Ergonomic design - handle bulges at top for good grip, it's comfortable, and no sharp edges.
3. Protective cover slides over the three rows of knives, for storing the tool.
4. The tool has three blades and each one has 16 tiny knives. They don't just "dent" the meat, they make 48 slices (3 x 16) up to an inch deep. E.g., if a steak is 1" thick or less, the cuts go all the way through. You don't have to be strong to do this - my wife is the tool user.
5. For safety, those sharp knives are only exposed when the tool is pressed down firmly against the spring-loaded bottom plate.
6. Each stainless steel blade is replaceable for about five bucks. Search Google on "Jaccard Replacement Blade".
7. It actually does make steaks and other meats more tender and opens them up for marinade to soak in. We use it every time we grill steaks or chicken.
1. Might have to clean by hand if meat particles get stuck between the blades/knives. Since raw meat may contain unhealthy bacteria, the tool must be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water (e.g., the dishwasher) after every use.