Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 7, 2012
After twelve years of loyal service, our Sony 13-inch Trinitron analog television died of picture tube failure. After proper burial rites, we researched all the new small televisions that would fit into our kitchen. We first brought home a Samsung 19-inch LED TV (UN19D4003) because Consumer Reports said it had the best picture in its class. It was rated at the top along with Toshiba. Its sound was muffled, low volume and incomprehensible. The speakers face backwards, towards the wall. The Samsung was immediately returned to the store. We needed good auditory qualities in a noisy kitchen.

Next we listened to a side-by-side comparison of Insignia's 19-inch LED TV (NS-19E320A13) with Toshiba's 19-inch LED TV (19L4200U). The Toshiba was by far louder and clearer with larger amplifiers. The Toshiba's picture has less glare than the Samsung, easier on the eyes. Toshiba has the Dynalight backlight. We bought the Toshiba.

The only drawback is the need for two remotes. Our DIRECTV remote is needed to change channels, and the volume control is on the Toshiba remote.

The Toshiba is not bad as a computer monitor, large size screen but limited in that you cannot use the high refresh rates of better screens. This one only has 60 hertz. It will support an input of 1024 lines but not with the full accuracy/resolution. Tested it on an Acer laptop with a VGA cable.

Update 9/20/12: Remote control problem solved. A telephone call to technical support got us through the steps of synchronizing the DirecTV remote with the new Toshiba television. We didn't even need a technician to come to our house.

Update 10/15/12: Closed Captions option available for the hearing impaired: Every time I use the mute button to turn the sound off, the captions automatically come on the screen. This is a convenient way to follow a program even when someone receives a phone call. Usually, there is no Closed Captions button on a TV remote.
33 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2012
So TV manufacturers can make good volume come out of an LED TV. Strange how loud the volume is. Louder than my 46" from Toshiba also, that I had to buy a sound bar just so I can hear it. I still love all 4 of my Toshiba's, they are awesome TV's and the most efficient.
The sound from this TV is great for a small one like this. In fact, I found the lowest level of 1 to be too loud while sleeping. I had to go through the settings and shut off a dynamic sound enhancer. Now level 1-5 is nice and low, yet it still goes high enough from 6-100. If I need more volume I can always turn it back on, but I don't think I will.
The picture is as sharp as they get and very colorful and bright. I don't think anyone can tell the difference between 720P or 1080P on a 19" screen.
The size is really small though. I think too small. Might be good for a bedroom. This is why I bought it, for a Grandma's bedroom where it will be on 24/7.
I tested the power consumption and it uses 18 watts. Then I lowered the backlight a little, increased the brightness to compensate. So I have a picture about as bright for only 13.5 watts now. This must be the most efficient TV in the world.
If you are looking for really good basic tiny TV, here it is.
on June 27, 2012
Setup was a snap. I tried it out first by connecting the HDMI satellite feed used for main TV to the Toshiba. Great picture and decent sound after I boosted the bass and cut back the treble. Tiny speakers are tiny speakers, so this tweak is recommended, and it worked great.

Horizontal viewing angle is very wide, like other good LED TV sets. However, the vertical position is pretty tight. The included base stand sets the TV perfectly vertical, with no tilting adjustments. In my situation, this TV will sit on top of a cabinet in my RV (the designated spot for it with connections handy), and if sitting on the couch looking up at it, the picture is not very good - kind of psychedelic. Fortunately the base plate is quite broad and deep, and by propping the rear of the plate I could get a much better viewing angle and lots more tilt to go before it might tip over. I will build a broader and more permanent tilt base for it.

It's built-in digital/analog receiver is fantastic for antennas. My RV was parked under a metal roof, beside a metal barn, and it found 10 digital channels from as far away as 75 miles at least - with just the roof top crank up antenna. Far better than the old digital to analog converter (remember those?) hooked to the old analog TV.
on July 3, 2012
Seems like there isn't as much selection in the small TV department as there used to be. I used to have a Sharp 15" LCD model. One of the first LCDs that came out about 10 years ago. I has lasted surprisingly long but due to the picture becoming to dim I decided to purchase a new set.

Normally I have stuck strictly to Samsung but as of late their TVs have become a bit disappointing in the quality department. After checking out some of the great reviews on here I decided to pick this set up. With my house being older and having the washing machine and dryer in the kitchen area I need something that had nice volume. This set does the job.

I unpacked the box and was able to quickly swap out the old Sharp with this set on my peerless mount. Four screws and done. Quick setup in the beginning was easy with the on screen guide and I was up and running in no time. I havnt played around with to many features as this is just a basic set for us to watch while cooking or eating a quick bite but the one negative I did find so far is that the time from powering on til the picture shows up is longer than any other set I have. There is some delay from the time you press the power button and then the Toshiba logo comes up then another delay until the picture shows up.
on October 7, 2012
This is just what I needed for a high def Kitchen TV. Right now it is connected to a DirecTV receiver with standard RG-59 TV cable, and the Toshiba picture color fairly well matches the big flat screen Samsung it is mirroring. I can't wait to get the Toshiba on HDMI.

Headphones can be easily connected with an RCA to headphone adapter [C2G / Cables to Go 40424 Stereo F/M RCA YCable (6Inch, Black)]. My headphone volume is more than adequate, and I have moderate hearing loss. You will want headphones with an integrated volume control, because the Toshiba volume control does not adjust the RCA output level.

This TV comes with a basic setup guide only. A full User's Guide can be downloaded at support.toshiba.com . Setup and color adjustment are pretty intuitive. I haven't needed to look at the User's Guide.

The Toshiba has two HDMI inputs, so I will be able to mirror both my Living Room TV and my Den TV in the kitchen. I will connect the main TV sets to their respective DirecTV receivers with a composite cable and run an HDMI cable from each receiver to the Toshiba. It will take one 50 ft and one 75 ft Blue Rigger cable. I will try to update this review when I get both main sets connected.

Minor Cons:
- The picture quality varies with the viewing angle. Noticeable, but not a major thing to me as I can turn the TV. This might be a significant issue if you use a wall or under cabinet bracket that fixes the TV in one position.
- Be careful attaching the base, the screws do strip easily if they are not lined up straight.
- The TV takes about 10 seconds to start after pressing the on button.
on June 30, 2012
This works well in our kitchen, attached to the bottom of the cabinets using this mount: VideoSecu Under Cabinet Mount for LCD LED TV Monitor Flat Panel Flip Swivel Mount Bracket MLU01B 1KY.
Note that when using the VideoSecu mount, mounted behind the front lip of standard 12" deep cabinets, this TV is too tall to flip all the way back and up out of the way - it hits the wall before going all the way up, though it is still mostly out of the way.

The sound is very good for a small TV.

A minor annoyance is the amount of time it takes to switch on - 8 seconds to get the Toshiba logo, 14 seconds before the picture appears.
review image
on September 29, 2012
I ordered this set for my bedroom and find it a bit too small for that room. Apart from that, which is not a flaw in the TV, this is a great set: the 1080p in such a small tv may not be necessary, but its a clear, clean picture with natural colors, and I don't understand the complaints about the sound - it's very clear and balanced with no background noise or buzzing. In short, it's excellent. My only complaint is that there's too much lag in channel changes which is why I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars. I will probably send this back for the 24" in the same line. For the money, this is a great buy. I'd advise anyone needing a small tv to snatch it up before quality in this size becomes extinct!
on October 8, 2012
I recently purchased a 19" Samsung LCD TV. I had to return it. I then ordered the 19" Toshiba. The picture was much sharper and clearer. The Samsung seemed fuzzy. The sound was better by comparison on the Toshiba (remember that the smaller the TV the smaller the speakers). I really like the 1/2 mute feature. I have a 47" Toshiba and I was equally impressed with the 19". For the price, it's a great buy if you need a smaller TV.
on December 8, 2012
Really nice working TV but.....Manufacturer does NOT include any literature on its features or How To Use IT. No instruction book? What's with that?
Customer Service said the User's Guide is on its on website. What? I want a HARD COPY in my hands to read while I'm setting up my new TV. Why should I have to go searching on the Internet on how to set up their TV? They should put all the necessary literature in the box with their product so customers don't have to go searching for information on the internet.
TOSHIBA ...PUT INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BOXES WITH YOUR PRODUCTS.
on July 20, 2012
I had an old analog 13" TV in our kitchen and was tired of a grainy picture while I was cooking. I wanted a flat screen version which would not take up much room on the counter. This little Toshiba is wonderful! Crisp sharp picture and clear sound. At first it took me awhile to understand that it takes it awhile for the picture to show up....longer than the analog which came up instantly. But how WONDERFUL to be able to actually get the HDTV picture in my kitchen. I would recommend that everyone looking for a small TV with excellent reception for a small space....this is a wonderful one!