Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

Color: Black, Green, WhitePackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$18.80 - $44.00

on April 12, 2013
I bought one of these in a local store on clearance.

Three buttons (play/pause (also the off/on and shuffle off/on) + 2 for volume (and next or previous track) and no display, it is for people who just want to start up and listen and don't care about management:

Tags and filenames don't matter at all.

It plays files in the order placed on it OR your tunes shuffled, that is it, protected tracks won't work; again, it's not sophisticated, it just plays.

Windows 7 found it no problem, and it acts like a hard drive, just drag and drop the songs, I suggest just putting all favorite MP3s.
No need to use songbird software, just put all the MP3s in the Music folder.

Can't speak to .WMA or other formats, so many free convertors to MP3 and freeware CD rippers, should be a non-issue in 2013.

Can get 90 mins worth of play on a 5 min charge (so the paperwork said, untested), charged via ANY usb port. (I just full charge, but that is nice in case I find it drained)

Sound quality of my 192-bit rips is excellent, I use a different pair of earphones, but the ones it came with are OK.

Can't speak to length of charge, but listening reasonable volume for me, it's gone more than 4 hours, I am at a PC often, so I just recharge it.

Will NOT play and charge at the same time, I did try that.

So for what it does and the cost, it's worthy, plenty of space for songs for jogging/walking/working out.

Very small and lightweight with a nice clip built in.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2013
Good stuff. Don't pay $15-$20 expecting a $50-$100 mp3 player as ALL of the 1-3 star reviewers did. This is a simple mp3 player, it's $20! (Well $15 for the pink). The purpose of ALL of these $20 ones is to be cheap, easy, and quick. It's pretty much a USB stick that plays music, copy some MP3s over, hit the play button. I like my iPod but I often find this more convenient and quicker when I want to go run (charges faster too). Has volume and next/previous track buttons (they're the same button, it's a press once for volume up or hold for next song button). The only reason I subtracted a star is because it does something extremely annoying and pointless. When you pause a song you generally do it for a reason......such as you need to listen for something...when you pause it it beeps at you every few seconds as if to remind you that you paused it, that feature is just dumb.
on August 22, 2013
I CANNOT say enough good things about this compact little player. Don't let the price or the size fool you..... you get way more bang for your buck than you would think possible from a simple little player like this. The ONLY complaint that I have is the fact that the volume is not adjustable. Some songs just naturally play louder than others & it can be quite a shock to the ole ear drums. I bought this primarily to use when I was out mowing the yard, but now I take it with me when I am driving somewhere. It's so great to have my fav tunes available all in one convient spot! I would HIGHLY recommend this little gem to anyone looking for a simple MP3 player.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2013
Reliable, does all I need for an MP3 to run with. Easy to load, easy to operate, great value for money. I genuinely don't understand the complaints of other reviewers.
on July 19, 2014
You wouldn't think this a great product, but I think it is. It's simple, cheap, and does what I need it to. I bought the white version with a green dot in the middle for $15. It can charge directly from any USB port. Drag-and-drop your music.

The audio quality and battery life are excellent. Extremely durable. I clip it on to my shirt. It makes it easier for people to see I'm listening to music. People frequently ask me what it is which I find interesting.

If you need something simple that plays music then this is a great option for you.

You can't tell what song is playing currently. You also can't look through a playlist or fast-forward / rewind. Genres and tags aren't supported.

It supports the following buttons:
previous / next
pause / play
volume up / volume down
shuffle / no-shuffle
on / off

Please read the manual when you receive the device. It will tell you everything you need to know about how to use the buttons.
on August 7, 2013
I recently purchased this mp3 player, as I was looking for a cheap device with long lasting battery; Philips has a nice reputation regarding battery lifetime in its devices so I went for the SoundDot. Packaging contains all necessary stuff (such as multilingual printed manual and warranty info), as well as a pair of headphones. I was surprised to see that the headphones were not Philips branded; instead they are rather low quality, generic ones but they are still ok for the average user.

Operating SoundDot is really easy: One button for Vol (-) and Previous track, one button for Vol (+) and Next track and one button for Power/Play-Pause/Shuffle. Sound quality is really good, but volume is too low with the provided headphones; there is now way that you can listen to music while walking on a rather busy street. I saw a little improvement while using another set of headphones. I also noticed that when the volume reaches maximum, it beeps three times and playback stops for a couple of seconds before it resumes. I am not sure if this is a normal behavior of the player, as this is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Edit: I found out that after you hear the three beeps, then you can still keep pressing the same button until you hear another two beeps: This means that the volume barrier is no longer valid and you can keep increasing the volume until you feel comfortable with it! It must have been in the manual, which I almost instantly lost after opening the package; strange for me, as I keep every device packaging for a long time...

The Songbird software (free download from Philips) is cumbersome (more than 100MB) and not easy to use. There are a lot of confusing menus and small icons, as well as panels all over the interface. I am working with various types of software for the last 7 years more than 10 hours daily and still find the SongBird software confusing and not easy to use. In addition, it doesn't work properly with Windows 7 nor with Windows 8. In both cases the SoundDot is identified but it is not possible to check for a firmware upgrade, as I receive a "Connection issue" message all the time, even with firewall disabled. At the same time, Songbird is able to open web pages within the app (e.g. the registration problem) so it is not a connection issue.

Battery seems to last for more than 4-5 hours but I haven't tested that thoroughly yet. SoundDot is really use to charge by plugging it directly to a USB port of a computer or a USB charger plugged in a power outlet (no cables needed). It is really lightweight and portable, while the clip is also convenient.

To sum up: The main issue was not the mp3 player itself but Songbird; however, I just avoid it for transferring MP3s to Songbird (I just drag & drop my files through Windows Explorer). Since I got it for less than 20 euros I cannot complain much but still I do not consider it as my best purchase ever...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
This might be the ideal MP3 player for a runner. It is small and it attaches securely and unobtrusively to the waistband of one's shorts. It has shuffle capability and good sound quality. It has no screen to soak up battery power and then become useless in bright sunlight. It is cheap--so cheap that I bought two of them. Its built-in male USB connector obviates the need to find the right cable or adapter each time the device needs to be recharged. I withheld the fifth star only because I have owned my two SoundDots for only two months, and I do not know how durable they will be or how rapidly the power cells will deteriorate in the long term. As many other reviewers have emphasized, the SoundDot is a basic, no-frills MP3 player. Consider it if your priority is having music readily available for your periodic run (or walk) but not if you are mainly interested in having a complex device to set up, fiddle with, and impress your friends. Prospective buyers should consider using their computer to download music they like, and subsequently relying on the SoundDot's shuffle option to provide a quasi-random subset of songs. Anyone who prefers to micro-manage each day's playlist probably would be happier with an MP3 player that provides more powerful editing features.
on September 11, 2015
This is my 2nd Philips SA4DOT02BN/37 GoGEAR SoundDot MP3 player, not because of quality because of my own carelessness as I mistakenly washed and DRIED the first one in my running shorts by mistake LOL.

The uitt works great and is very easy to charge from any USB charging port so you do not need special cables or batteries.

Understand, this is a BASIC player on for those who want only a BASIC player there is no screen(to use more battery) or lots of options.
You have all the basics and you can randomize your stored music. If you like to listen to a certain track when you so choose this is not the player for you. You can skip forward or back tracks but that is as much as you can do if you want a certain track.

I love it for the price, size, and simplicity. I run long distance, I use the waist clip turn it on and go. Due to it's size it's not likely to break but if I tripped on a rock while running a trail and it got crushed I am only out short money unlike an iphone or something similar. (always backup the contents of the player ;-) ).
on August 3, 2013
Love this item. Sound is really good and it is easy to upload songs. Would recommend very highly. Good product
on May 22, 2015
Perfect for someone who actually works out.
Lightweight, Clips on anywhere, no transfer cable required, no touch screen to mess with (especially when it's bright outside) and a rechargeable battery.
This is everything I wanted in an mp3 player. I was using an armband with my Galaxy S4 but since I have it in an Otterbox it becomes unnecessarily cumbersome.
This player is no frills no fuss. Just plays music and I don't get distracted with changing the track or volume. I can do high intensity cardio and never have to worry about it coming loose.