Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Royal Blue/Black|Size: One Size|Change

on October 16, 2013
I own both this camera and a Go Pro Hero 2.

The good:

1. Easy to use: Slide switch forward, it records, slide switch backwards, stops recording. Nice and simple.
2. Has a standard 1/4 20 tripod mount. YES!!!!!!!
3. Doesn't need a separate case to make it waterproof.
4. The narrower shape of the camera is nice for mounting on things that are narrow like a bicycle top tube where you don't want your knees hitting it.
5. Good battery life (but battery is built in)
6. Auto Rotation - I frequently mount my camera upside down and it's nice to not have to flip the video in editing, but see the bad about this below.
7. It's lightweight.
8. Cheaper than my GoPro was.
9. Nicer looking than my GoPro Hero 2.
10. Solid feel

The okay:

1. Video quality is a decent, maybe not quite as good as my Hero 2, but close.
2. Audio is muffled but better than JVC Adixxion and Drift Innovation (both have horrible wind noise). Better than Hero 2 in its' waterproof case, but not as good as Hero 2 in its' skeleton case.
3. Must change settings (1080p/30fps vs. 720p/60fps) using PC software.
4. The helmet/handlebar mounts are fine, but I don't use them. I use RAM Mounts.
5. Tripod hole isn't quite in the center of the camera (length-wise) but it's okay with the mounts I have now, was rotating with a lousy handlebar mount I had.

The bad:

1. The Mac version of the software does not work so if you don't have a PC, you can't change the default settings on the camera and I don't remember what those were. I know I have it now to record 720p 60fps.
2. It records two files (one large high quality and one small lousy quality) every time you record a clip. This is super annoying as I never use the small files and need to delete them all before importing or with iMovie, where it's hard to tell prior to import, I need to import everything and not use the low res ones, which is super annoying.
3. The longer shape of the camera doesn't work well if you wanted to mount it on your body (like with a GoPro Hero chest mount).
4. Picture taking isn't straight forward.
5. Battery is built in. If out in the field, you can't pop in another battery, you need to find some place to charge the camera which takes 3 hours.
6. Twist off rear hatch is too easy to lose. I misplaced it once while charging the camera, but found it, however, I think it would be awful easy to lose for good.
7. Auto Rotation - there are 4 orientations this camera recognizes. If the camera is upright or upside down, the video comes out right side up and as you would expect. If the camera is at 90 or 270 degrees, the video comes out right side up, but is way narrow - like you get when you record while holding your iphone vertically instead of horizontally. Very annoying. I wish it recognized just right side up and upside down and not on it's side. Also, don't use Auto-Rotation if you're going to begin recording while you're moving - if I am riding my bike on a trail or rough road and have auto-rotate on, at least half the videos come out on their side - and I mean on their side - the camera thought it was on it's side, but it wasn't so it's really messed up. So - nice idea for a feature, but I always turn it off.

Despite all the bad, I find I'm actually using this camera way more than my GoPro because I find it easier to put on my bike, easier to use with the one slide switch rather than all the buttons on the GoPro and I like not having to put it in one case if it's rainy and another if it's nice, just so many pieces with the GoPro. This is nice and simple. I'm looking forward to getting the wifi version where hopefully you can change settings using the iPhone app - assuming it works.
88 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2014
I bought one for me (motorcycle) and for my brother (rock climbing, canyoneering)

Brother has verified the water resistance. I have verified the image quality - fast riding (some say crazy fast)

Buy one before they run out.
on May 18, 2014
It's as easy as sliding the switch forward to record and backward to stop. When you stop recording, the power will stay on standby for a few seconds in case you want to shoot some pictures with it.

At first I was having problems with my camera; it was shutting off unexpectedly (without saving the clips). Sometimes it recorded and some times it would just stop unexpectedly. I was about to return it, went to Amazon and started the return process, but just before I submitted it, I said to myself, "let me just call iON customer service first," so I did and they pointed me in the right direction. It turns out, I was using the wrong micro sd card.

You have to buy a class 6 or 10 SD card in order for it to work, but wait . . . just before you say, "no duh!" I thought I had a class 10. I bought mine at BestBuy and the description read, "class 10," but on the card itself it reads, "U1" (the 1 inside the U). The iON rep told me not to go by the what it says on the description or the packaging, but what really matters is what it says on the card itself. I had another card that says C10 on it, so I popped it in and problem solved . . . never had those issues up to now (and I hope I never will [but I will update you if I do])
=================================================================
UPDATE:

I had to bring my rating to ONE STAR because it started doing the same thing. I slide forward to record and in a few seconds the light switches to green (stops by itself) and nothing gets recorded. It just creates corrupted files.

There seems to be a pattern here, when you insert a new micro sd card it works fine the first few recordings, but after a few clips (like, max out the card and delete the files) then it starts giving you problems. It just turns off by itself after a few seconds (and doesn't save anything).

I will call support again and see what they say this time.
==================================================================
LAST UPDATE:

I purchased a different micro sd card and now, it seems to be working fine, like it should. Nice crispy 1080 with no errors so far. I think I got one of the FASTEST micro sd cards for this camera and the one doing the trick for me is: Samsung 32GB EVO Micro SDHC Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP32DA/AM).

I brought the rating up to FIVE STARS because I am finally satisfied, but I should have not have had to had gone through all that hassle. There should be a WARNING disclaiming the type of sd card (and by which manufacturer) to purchase. The inventor (Sandisk) did not work...Samsung was the best.
88 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2014
Hand over fist better than my old Midland XTC 205 which was 720p. Clarity is really good at the $75 I paid for this. Nice and simple which is what I want, I don't need 1000000 camera modes so I will not spend $400 on a Go Pro.

The camera is the case, which is good and bad. Its good because its all water tight and nothing else is needed. Its bad because the lens is exposed and the locking rear cover has an o-ring keeping water out that needs to be clean to seal.

The mic is internal, so its not good at picking up quiet noises, but who cares its for video.
on December 22, 2014
i bought this when it was on sale and i feel like i got a pretty good deal. We use the camera for autocross as I didn't want to spend the money on a go pro. At the end will be a youtube link to see the camera in action.

The camera seems to be built very well and battery life has been good. The camera saves two videos to the sd card when recording a small version and a HD version. I wish there was a way to just have it record the larger HD version to save disk space, but we have not found out a way to do that. I also had an issue of the camera not recording at times, we think we found out the problem. The solution is, you must hit the physical power button to turn it on then slide it forward to record. Many times i just slid it forward and it would record for 10 seconds then stop. If you turn the power on first then slide it forward it records correctly. I use a 32 gig sandisk ultra class 10 sd card which worked great. The only issue I have is with the sound as it records a lot of wind noise when mounted to the roof of the car.

Link to my video using the ION air pro: http://youtu.be/AeI0ixHG3Uo

also you might notice a purple dot in the bottom right corner at times. My camera has a defective lens with a chip in it. We didn't notice until after the return period, still love the camera though.
on January 25, 2015
Garbage if I could give it half a star I would don't believe the you tube crap. It never charged never worked light kept blinking followed all instructions help guid user guid most ask questions nothing I wish they had negitive star that's what I would gave it. Traveled to the east and man so disappointing baht sd cards anyway I could go on all I will say now is DONT BUY IT They will have you buying sd card after card
on July 26, 2014
This is the Generation 1 camera. For the price I paid, it is great. Would recommend that you either get the WiFi Podz attachment, or one of the bundles that comes with it. The WiFi makes the camera more useful. One minor thing, when using the WiFi Podz, start and end your recording from the app. Used the app to aim the camera and forgot to close it, slid the switch on the camera to record, but nothing was recorded, the camera was probably waiting for the record command from the app. Been using the camera as a dash-cam on my motorcycle, recordings are ok. Be aware that if you use full HD, the max file size for the video is limited to 4 Gigs, the camera will start a new video after it reaches the max file size. used the camera at a water park and it held up just fine. I'm currently using a 64 Gig micro SD in it, Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase.
on March 31, 2015
First off, I got the Ion Air Pro for $60. For a $60 action camera, this is a 5 star all day. At $80, still 5 star. If this camera cost $120 or more, it'd be a 4 star and at $160 a hard 3 star. There is a lot of competition in the action camera market and I think this is one of the best budget cameras available.

My primary use is mounted to my motorcycle helmet. I was using a Sony helmet mount kit, but the big blue store carries Ion Air brand mounting kits in their stores now which let me side mount it on the helmet.

Battery life is 2.5 hours consistently. Which is slightly above average as I read about other cameras.It takes a micro SD, has a micro HDMI out and uses micro USB to charge/transfer data. A big simple "REC" switch turns it on and starts recording. I don't have a problem hitting it with my motorcycle gloves on. It also has an auto off that can be changed in the firmware settings when connected to a computer. I set mine to 5 mins so after a ride I flip off the record and it takes care of power itself down. Powerful vibrations from the camera let me know if I successfully slid or hit a button.

Video quality is fantastic at the price point. It's almost good enough in 720p that I can make out license plate numbers on cars. The camera does very well at adjusting from daytime lighting down nigh time riding. I've only tested the water proof feature of the camera once in a sudden downpour, the camera of course came out unscathed.

The audio is fine, nothing good or bad about it. At 60mph all the Ion Air Pro will record is wind noise. At a dead stop it will record me singing to myself or I can hear my chatter to a nearby riding buddy.

Check the video for untouched footage from the camera. Do note, there isn't any image stabilization. When checking mirrors and behind me I'll bob my head a lot and you can see how the camera handles it.

http://goo.gl/hnBBnj (Youtube link, shortened by Google URL shortener)
on January 21, 2015
Bought this for my husband to take skiing in Colorado. Although we have nothing to compare it to, we thought it took great video--very clear, nice color, good sound. Helmet mounts worked great, also. He also likes to video his snowmobile jaunts, quad rides, and motocross thrills and spills. I have to assume that it is user-friendly as far as downloading the video. Overall I feel it was a great value, especially compared to that other name brand camera.
on August 10, 2014
WARNING: The camera comes with NO MEMORY. Needed: A C6 microSD or C6 microSDHC card, up to 32 gagabytes. Find a C6 card BEFORE BUYING THE CAMERA. Apparently, none of the Ion cameras work properly with newer C10 memory cards.