Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 9, 2012
I want to start off my review by stating that I am a HUGE Windows Phone fan and already own both the original Samsung Focus and the first HTC Titan (both which are great phones). I felt compelled to upgrade to Nokia's Lumia 900 to experience Nokia's build quality and ATT's LTE speeds.

The Lumia 900 is absolutely gorgeous and has a huge screen measuring 4.3 inches. The phone feels great in my hand and can be operated easily with just one hand. My HTC Titan with its 4.7 inch screen was a little difficult to use one handed so I really think Nokia hit the sweet spot at 4.3 inches. I do wish the screen sat flush with the bezel like the Lumia 800 because the 900's screen does protrude slightly which isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me. This is just my opinion and doesn't impact the functionality of the phone one bit. Overall this phone is gorgeous!

The Windows Phone OS restricts the screen resolution to 800x480 which by today's standard is a bit low but as with most Windows Phones you will be hard pressed to even realize this during everyday use. The Lumia 900's screen will melt your eyes with its beauty. I don't know what magic technology Nokia uses for this screen but everything looks AWESOME on it. The colors and text jump right off the screen and is very readable even in direct sunlight. I really feel this is the best screen I have ever seen on a smartphone.

The Lumia 900 is powered by a 1.4 GHz single core processor with 512 MB of RAM which is more than enough power as the Windows Phone OS runs sooooo smoothly on this phone. Nothing slows this phone down and everything responds instantaneously.

You get 16 GB of storage which may not sound like a lot to some folks but I already have a ton of apps, games, music and videos on my phone and still have 8 GB's free. Unfortunately there is no memory card slot so the 16 GB is all this phone will ever have. You do get access to 25 GB of free storage on Microsoft's SkyDrive which is integrated well in to the OS so you can always store your pics and docs in the cloud if you run low on storage.

This is the first 4G LTE Windows Phone (the new HTC Titan that came out yesterday is also LTE) and ATT's speed in the Boston area has been superb! I am averaging a little over 10 Mbps in and around Boston with peaks going up as high as 17 Mbps. This phone flies on the internet which makes it feel even faster. I cant get over just how fast the data speeds are on this phone.

I have only had the phone for 2 days but the battery seems to be very good. I went through the entire day yesterday using my phone quite a bit without having to recharge. I bet this thing will easily last through an entire work day on LTE. As the week progresses and I get a better idea of the battery life I will update my review.

The call quality so far has been fine but I don't make many calls. The people that I have spoke to on this phone stated that I sounded very good.

The 8 megapixel camera on the Lumia 900 takes great photos but some of the pics did come out a little oversaturated. They still look really nice though and it could be just where and how I was taking the pics.

While the app store is not nearly as large as Apples or Googles it does have over 70,000 apps now and I have found that almost every app I used on my past phones has a counterpart on Windows Phone. You will also find the Windows Phone versions of your favorite apps look, feel and operate better than the ones on iOS and Android. Just wait to you open apps like USA Today or IMDB. They are truly magnificent. If you are a gamer and own an XBOX 360 then you really should be on Windows Phone as XBOX Live is integrated right in the OS and compatible XBOX Live games on Windows Phone include achievements so even on the go you can get those glorious little achievement notifications that some people have become addicted to!

If you are first time smartphone buyer or looking for something better than iOS or Android then you cant go wrong with the Lumia 900. For the price what you get is amazing. I highly recommend this phone!

UPDATE 04/13/2012: As you may have heard a limited number of the Lumia 900's had a bug that messed up its LTE connection. My unit did not have this issue but there were some out there that do. The good news is that Nokia release a software update last night that fixes this issue completely so you can buy a new Lumia worry free now!

Also, remember that if you purchase a Lumia 900 before April 21st on ATT you will receive a 100 dollar credit on your bill!!! So if you are eligible for an upgrade at this time you essentially get the Lumia 900 for FREE if you purchase before April 21st!! This also applies to anyone that has already purchased the phone as well. Awesome!!!
"Wow"

That was my first impression of the Nokia 900 when I turned it on. The design of the phone itself is obviously well thought out, but when you get it up and running it really becomes a work of art. The "clearblack" screen Nokia has developed puts my old HTC phone to shame (and I never really thought it was bad until I put it next to the 900's screen). The colors are crisp, the black levels are very deep black, and the text pops and is very easy to read.

Everything in the WP7 OS feels snappy. People may argue that windows phones don't have the latest and greatest specs, but the reality is they don't need them. The OS never lags, and navigating through various apps always feels natural.

As for the apps themselves, there's still obviously a long way to go for the marketplace to catch up to the volume of apps in the Android and iOS markets, but the major players are mostly all there and the apps all feel like a unique experience designed around the WP7 metro interface.

All in all, this is the first phone I've really been impressed by since the original iPhone. It's a great alternative in the smartphone market and really puts the spotlight on Microsoft's well designed Windows Phone operating system.

Highly recommended.
on April 19, 2012
got my Lumia 900 1 week back and i am really happy to say the least....

i already used an iphone and android with ICS..

OS: its fluid...thats the best term i can come up with to describe it...WP7 is i think in the usability perspective on par with iOS and even better in facebook integration...and way ahead of Android...

Hardware: agreed its a single core...but trust me..keeping all the marketing dual core stuff aside, the phone is fasst..and more than sufficient for our use...

Price: its a steal...

and its a beauty...i got a black one...i love it...also the cyan ....really want both ;)

Apps: good collection...sufficient for most of our needs...

conclusion: Phone's a winner...worth trying...give it a shot...i am sure you will love it...
on April 19, 2012
I have had various cellphones over the years. Because of the lousy call quality of most cellphones, I never used them unless I had no other choice for making a call. And I would seriously mumble under my breathe when someone would call me from their cell because their voice was often pretty garbled. Well, this phone has changed my perception of cellphones. The call quality is very good. There are a few reasons why I will probably not give up my landline, but this is the first cellphone I have ever had that makes me at least think about the possibility.

And then there is the smarthphone aspect of this phone. I had an Android device prior to this that quite frankly I stuck with primarily because it was a cheap date and I didn't see any better prospects out there. But then on Easter Sunday, I wandered into a store and saw the Lumia 900. It was love at first sight. The screen was so bright and vivid and the Windows OS was a breathe of fresh air. Unlike my quirky Android, this phone was a pleasure to use, and the things I care most about, my friends and email, were one click away. Sold. I walked out the door that very day with my new love.

And after a week and half, the honeymoon has not worn off either. This past weekend, I downloaded Nokia Drive and my husband and I used it to get to a restaurant we had never been to. Just as good as the NAV system built into my car. And it even gave me a gentle alert when I was exceeding the speed limit.

Thanks to Nokia and Microsoft for making a product that was so good I felt compelled to write what I am pretty sure is my first product review on Amazon.
on May 3, 2012
An app called TouchDevelop by Microsoft Research won me over!!! It does multi-step dialing to enter access number, followed by the pin code. I can now safely dial into conference calls while driving. Could not do that on iPhone!
55 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
I have had the iPhone 2, 3g, 4s. I like Apple phones, but i wanted a change.

So I recently got the Samsung Note. I figured I would check out all the hype. Android is good, lets me do what I need to do. Play my movies, apps, chat, email, web. But wow it is very laggy. Im pretty fed up with pressing buttons and waiting 3 seconds before there is a reaction from my phone.

I got this Lumia 900 today and its snappy. Finally when I press a button my phone reacts almost instantly. That was my main concern with switching.

As for my other requirements like web surfing, apps, email, media playing. It gets the job done.

Its still early, but so far i'm happy. The software is a win. The hardware is attractive. But i was more concerned about the SW.

Overall very happy. Will update later as I use it more.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
I've been using this baby for a few hours now and I've got to say, it's just fantastic. My little brother has an android and that's the direction I was going in last week, but great reviews and my friends told me otherwise. This phone looks like the future os, and it's just slick and fast, even running on one core!! That's how great the os is with the lumia 900. The marketplace has all the apps I need, though the apps are sure to increase as more users adopt this phone and future windows phones. I just can't believe this is a windows phone! It's awesome and the hardware seems as though it was crafted by the hand of god.

Seriously, for $100, this phone is a steal!!!
on April 11, 2012
I have had my Lumia 900 since Monday and I absolutely love it.

Just as background, I have been waiting for months for a phone that would make me upgrade from an old Samsung I was using. My girlfriend is a Mac user and swears by her iPhone but I just couldn't get into the interface. I like things really clean and organized and all the icons on the iPhone really turn me off. The Android interface just looks like a hot mess to me. I use a Blackberry for work and still love the physical keyboard but the lack of software features really affects my productivity. So, Windows Phone was my last hope.

I fell in love with the interface of Windows Phone the first time I tried it out but all the hardware out there was pretty weak. So, I waited to see if Samsung or Nokia would deliver something new that I would like.

Three days in and I can honestly say that the Lumia 900 is fantastic. I am so glad I waited. I am surprised by how much I love this phone.

Everyone I have talked to over the phone comments that they can hear me so clearly...a vast improvement in call quality over my previous phone. The press was right about the build quality and design of the phone too. It just looks so sleek and clean.

The layout and interface of the phone is amazing, beautiful even. Texting is awesome on this device. The screen is gorgeous and bright, very smooth and responsive. I get great battery life too, even when I have made heavy use of the LTE connection.

I have only installed a few apps so far but the apps I have used all look and work great. I particularly like the navigation capabilities of Nokia Drive...I believe they are even better than those dedicated GPS systems.

There are some apps that my girlfriend uses on her iPhone that are not in the Windows Phone Marketplace. But I suspect those apps will come in time.

Honestly, I am more focused on what a phone can do out of the box. I own a Kindle Fire as well and I am not really sure what all the app craziness is about. I maybe showing my age but the lack of apps is not a big issue despite what the press says.

As for negatives, I really only have three quibbles:

1. I don't have particularly large hands so the size of the phone is a little bit of an issue. The iPhone is too small for me but if this phone were just a few inches smaller, I think I would love it even more. 3.9 or 4.0 inches seems to be the sweet spot for me. However, I think this is just something I have to get used to because I upgraded from a fairly small 3.5 inch phone. The Lumia still fits fine in my front pocket and the upside is that the screen is so readable. But just something to keep in mind during your own search.

2. The camera is a huge upgrade from the 3MP cam on my old phone. The pictures I have taken outside during the day all look great. But, I have noticed a very subtle bluish tint when taking pictures at night and at dusk. Not sure if it is the lens, the software or the user. ;) But, just something I have noticed.

3. This last one is really minor but I have to say that I don't like the "vibrate" setting. The vibration is very abrupt. Not an earth shaking rattle by any means. It is just that Nokia should have been a little more subtle with the feature. Honestly, the spastic, super quick vibration has made me chuckle more than a few times already.

To sum up, a real fantastic experience thus far and I would absolutely recommend this phone to anyone looking for an upgrade from a regular phone or if you are someone who prefers a smartphone with a very clean interface and not all those crazy icons.
on May 29, 2012
It seems that every detail and feature of this phone has already been discussed in the hundreds of positive reviews on this phone. After using blackberrys for years, I wanted to upgrade to a 21st century phone with a large touchscreen and fast internet, which the blackberry severely lack in, without sacrificing the ease of emailing and texting. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I wanted to get the Nokia Lumia 900, but was convinced otherwise by AT&T employees at the AT&T store. So I first tried out the HTC One X and was disappointed with the buggy software and terrible email and text interfaces and notifications. I returned it after 10 days and got the Nokia Lumia, and I couldn't be happier. The unique colorful and graphical interface of this smooth and sleek phone is just amazing. It feels great in my hand and is just a pleasure to use. The reviews for this phone are being accused by iphone and android homers as being written by paid bloggers or employees of apple/google. This is because this phone really is amazing, in ways that any review written about it is going to sound cheesy. Setup, texting, emails, photos and internet are all so easy. The touchscreen keyboard is the best I have ever used. The "pin to start page" feature is awesome and makes the phone so easy to use. I have only had the phone 4 days now but I love it. My only complaint is the lack of availability of more apps, especially instagram, google maps and google talk, with Microsoft forcing you to use Bing, MSN Messenger and either their map, AT&Ts maps or Nokias (Nokias being the best). I am sure with the success of this phone, many more apps will soon be in development for it. I also can't find a cover for the phone, even after going to the AT&T store, best buy and Frys. I also assume with the continued success of this phone, more stores will start carrying more accessories for it. For now, I'll order them online. Nokia is back after being irrelevant since the late 90s, and Microsoft is off to a great re-start in the mobile market with their Mango OS. Great job Nokia!

3 week Update: I have had the phone for a while now and still think it is great. Many more apps come out weekly and updates to some current apps have helped. There was an update to the OS as well, although I noticed no difference.
My picky complaints about this phone that I would like to see fixed in the future include:
1) Swipe Left and Right to navigate internet explorer;
2) A forward button;
3) Screen Capture!;
4) Google Maps!;
5) Although most reviews praise it, I am unsatisfied with the battery life. Maybe I use the phone too much;
6) Voice input function is great, but would like to see it available for emails as well, not just text messages;
7) Apps such as yelp and flixster are severely toned down from their iphone/droid coutnerparts, you can't login to your account and write reviews! Why? Is this due to limitations of the phone? Or they didn't want to spend more time and money on a robust app for a less popular phone?
8) Live tile page is great, would love to see the ability to have more than one page of it, and to choose tile size. I hear this is an option in windows 8, which our phone probably won't support.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
The most stylish smartphone in the market! Along with the brilliant design, comes with lightening fast LTE. Impressive. Liked the scratch resistant screen that had sharp and crispy display. With $50 tag for this beauty,I am sold.