Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on April 10, 2012
I got the phone yesterday, and had almost a day to play with it. I have been extremely impressed by the smooth operation of the OS and how the contacts, calendars etc. are tightly integrated. The phone itself is very pleasing to hold. The screen is beautiful (my wife has an iPhone4s so I am very well aware of the "Retina" display, but there is something special about the Nokia screen even though it has a lower resolution. The contrast is excellent, and images and text just stand out in terms of clarity. 4.3" is slightly big, would have preferred a 4" screen, but that takes nothing away from the quality of the screen. Touch response seems to be smoother than what I experience on the iphone. There is of course more to explore, and I am sure there will be bugs that will come up. But that should not take away any points from the fact that Nokia has partnered with Microsoft to bring a high quality phone to the US. Finally!!!!

Just to make it clear, I am not biased towards any OS. I have previously owned the iphone 3, 3g, 4 and currently have the iPad2 and HTC Flyer, so I am quite familiar with what the different mobile OS have to offer.

While setting up the Google account I did run into some authentication errors. Finally found a solution that worked. problem is not with Windows OS but on Google side. See the details below:

Basically, I created a 2-step verification on for my Gmail accounts, which seemed to be what was impeding the authentication. I opened up Gmail in a browser, opened up 'Mail Settings' (the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page), went to the 'Accounts' tab, and clicked on 'Other Google Account settings". Once I authenticated a 2-step verification process under "Security" option, I clicked "Authorizing applications & sites". Then I basically followed the steps on that page to create a once-off application-specific password for the Nokia phone (one can name it anything they want), and used the generated password by google to sync my account on the Nokia phone and voila! It worked! Once I figured out what I was doing, it took be no more than 2 minutes.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2012
Friends and family have been making fun of my ancient clam shell for the past 5 years or so. "You still carrying a pager?" Well, this will stop with the Nokia L900. I've never owned a smartphone before but my wife has an Iphone 4 which I play with or use once in a while. The Nokia blows it away IMO. I love the Live Tiles and polycarb casing. When I go back to my wife's Iphone, the screen seems too small now.

One of the things that my clam shell did well was it never dropped calls and voice quality was never an issue (this was the main reason I kept it for so long). Rest assured, this is also not an issue with the Nokia...calls come in crystal clear. It is, afterall, a phone still and call quality is very important to me. But what really compelled me to get my first smartphone was the price and the fact that it is a Nokia. Can't beat it. It should be selling for 2 or 3 times more. But not complaining at all. Friends will be envious now.

For all clam shell victims, please go out and check out this phone and stop being victimized.
on April 9, 2012
I've had my Nokia Lumia 900 for two days now, and I have to say the experience just gets better and better. Nokia does design right, the phone just feels solid, and comfortable in my hand. The buttons are spot on where they need to be, No more accidental camera shots or anything else.

This is also an incredibly fast phone. There's a reason Microsoft has that "Smoked by Windows Phone" contest...this phone can easily beat any Droid or iPhone.

Buy it. It will be the best phone you've ever owned.
on April 11, 2012
I pre ordered this phone and received it on April 6. My wife liked it so much that I got her one yesterday. This is an easy to use smart phone. I read all the negative reviews. Looking for problems before I ordered it and the camera didn't do well. However, when I got the phone, I adjusted the ASA to 100 and it made a big difference. I think the default setting is too high, probably at 400. Also, I read about a pink circle shooting a white surface indoors. I adjusted the white balance to fluorescent for indoor shots with fluorescent lights and that seems to solve the indoor problem. I changed the white balance back to auto for outside, but have left the ASA on 100 for all pictures.
I also downloaded Nokia maps for the USA, so I could save on my data package.
This phone is very quick. The single core processor is fast, and the screen is beautiful.
Con: I haven't yet figured out how to sync my 2007 Windows Outlook to the phones calendar. I may have to contact Microsoft for help.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2012
I pre-ordered my Cyan Lumia 900 from AT&T on-line. Received it by Fed-ex overnight on 4/6, 2 days before it was officially introduced and now enjoying it for 3 weeks. I think it is simply a superb and sleek design. WP7.5 OS is great, Metro interface with live tiles is amazing compared to dead tiles on the iPhone. I find a lot of Apps that I need. It is the quality of Apps that matters,not the number. would like to have Pandora, Saavan, Schwab, CNBC though. Skype works great. 4G/LTE data connection glitch was a big issue that got quickly resolved. After the OS update via Zune, it works fine. The whole user experience is very refreshing compared to iPhone. I like the Cyan color which is unique. People notice it and ask all the time what phone is it. Camera works fine, but there some quality issue in Zoom mode. Nokia manual acknowledges it. But they need to fix it via a patch update. I think it is an iPhone killer. People who blindly go for iPhone should look at this. I was disappointed though how poorly Nokia and AT&T have introduced it so far. The packaging could be original Nokia in a sleek box instead in an AT&T's cheap box. I give 5 stars not penalizing company related screw ups.
on May 28, 2012
I finally gave up my old flip phone for a smart phone. After reading reviews and looking at phones in the store I choose the new Nokia Lumia 900 because Nokia is reliable. I LOVE IT. It's very easy to use. No manual provided but there is one online so you can research what you can't figure out. It's very fast. Other people who have i-phones and androids are amazed at the speed, set up and ease to use. It looks great. I've been calling, emailing, texting, checking facebook, accessing the internet, downloading apps and games. I've even used the camera and uploaded to facebook. So easy. I purchased it at Costco for $69, free activation and a free accessory kit. Clarity and crispness is amazing. Plenty of apps available for me. I'm reading the reviews to find out what else I'm missing out on. So happy I purchased this phone. As you can tell, I'm not tech geek, just a middle-aged woman. So, if I can use this phone anyone can. Highly recommend this phone. Still learning what all it can do so I'll be even more impressed each day.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
It was always going to take a lot to lure me away from my long-term relationship with iOS devices (from 3 to 3GS to 4), but this phone is it. I took delivery on Friday 6th April (thanks to AT&T's slightly early shipping), and very hesitantly powered off my iPhone for the last time to make the switch. I am 4 days into using the phone and absolutely love it. I know there will be people wondering about the switch from an iPhone 4 - the stand-out aspects are speed (both performance and connectivity with 4G LTE), the camera (it's as good as a quality compact), the interface (I love the live tiles in WP7), integrated Outlook and Office (OneNote being particularly handy) and the look and feel (Nokia *know* hardware). Another surprising aspect were the number and availability of applications - I found many of my old favorites were already available, and *definitely* looked and feel better through the WP7 interface. This was always the reason I held back from moving to another platform, but hasn't been an issue at all. Having had experience with a number of other devices, I just don't know why anyone would consider an alternative - particularly with incredibly low handset cost (on contract of course). This phone definitely looks like a game-changer, and Nokia stepping up to the plate with a home run. Fantastic!
on April 28, 2012
The user interface on the Windows Phone is more intuitive and cleaner than the iPhone. Press and holding down on an icon to gets you a context menu. The "Back" button allows you to navigate back a page just like a browser. Holding down the "Back" button to see a list of apps running and reopen any app on the list. It just makes sense.

Integration with Windows Live allows me to easily update my calendar, contacts from my desktop and see it everywhere desktop/laptop/phone. I can also sync Lotus Notes from work to GMail and have it seamlessly integrate into the phone's calendar and mailbox. Work calendar entries can overlay on the same calendar color coded for work versus personal calendar entry. It's really a great OS.

As for the Lumia 900, it's fast/very responsive. The screen is bright with great contrast. Try watching Netflix on this phone at 4G LTE speed on this large screen and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
on April 12, 2012
So i have been a long time apple fanatic. My whole ecosystem is apple. I was very reluctant to get this phone but, let me tell you this phone is amazing. It takes some getting used to coming from a different OS but spend some time with it and you will be up an running in no time. Blazing fast will smoke my iphone in just about any task. Screen is beautiful and easy to see in daylight, If you have a mac just download windows 7 connector and you can easily put pics,podcasts,music and whatever else you want from itunes in no time. The only reason im not giving it 5 stars is it still missing some apps and the selection is not that great, having said that there are still plenty the usual suspects to choose from they may have a different name you just have to take some time to find them. This is definitely the OS of the future with next next update to WP8 this thing is gonna be a force to recon with.
on April 13, 2012
I recently got this phone coming from an iPhone. I got mine at an AT&T store rather than Amazon because I also had some account issues to work out. I'm not really sure where to begin. This phone is fantastic! I don't know what they did to the body but it just feels very good in the hand. It has a very soft yet durable quality. I have the black one and the design is just gorgeous, in my opinion.

One of the things that struck me right away compared to the iPhone is how animated and lively the every day experience of navigating around is. Everything feels extremely fast and slick. I can sit here opening and closing various screens and it looks like the graphics are dancing, because everything is animated and futuristic. Some buddies of mine cautioned me that it might be slow because it only has a single core processor, but this is one of the fastest phones I have ever used. However, it takes around 10 seconds to load some of the more graphics intensive games like Hydro Thunder. I love the fact that all of my social network notifications and other information just appear on my home screen. It makes it easy to keep up with things without having to go into several different apps.

Get this phone.